Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #3 note

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on

Just a quick note that it's coming soon, so keep checking back on Sumea so that you don't miss out.. in case you missed the news post a while ago..

http://www.sumea.com.au/snews.asp?news=490

Prize for Sumea's 3rd 3D challenge: PS2 version of Grand Prix Challenge.. The very kind people at Infogrames have decided to donate a copy of Grand Prix Challenge (PS2) to be given to the winner of the 3rd Sumea 3D challenge - due to start around mid April.

(well, real soon now anyway!!!) [:)]

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 26/04/03 - 9:16 AM Permalink

Just a quick thing, I think the topic of the challenge should be defined by the winner of the previous one, a reward in itself.

Submitted by mochumbo on Mon, 28/04/03 - 1:36 AM Permalink

Malus, I like that. Except no one person should define the topic of a challenge twice in a row. If one person wins the challenge that they defined the topic for, then the topic of the next challenge should then be decided by the second place winner.

Submitted by Dan Ward on Mon, 05/05/03 - 6:05 PM Permalink

Lets get this show on the road already, the site is pretty dead when theres no challenge going on and i need something to read with my morning coffee.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 06/05/03 - 6:41 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

Just a quick thing, I think the topic of the challenge should be defined by the winner of the previous one, a reward in itself.

I'm not so sure I agree. It's a good idea in theory, but what's to stop a winner starting a model early before announcing what the challenge will be? I'm not saying that anyone would do that - but for a free PS2 game, who's to say?

If possible, I'd go for the sponsor of the prize suggesting the idea. However, Dan's suggestion of never being able to name the topic twice in a row isn't a bad idea.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 06/05/03 - 6:53 AM Permalink

Nice and trusting of your fellow man there John.

I just noticed most forums that do challenges do what I suggested and they have no worries.

I can only speak for myself but the prize isn't why I do this, if someone cheats then so be it, I could care less, they're the losers in the end.

And if someone wins all the time they still deserve the reward don't they, the rest of us would just have to do better, good motivation in my eyes.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 06/05/03 - 8:28 PM Permalink

Read this bit from my previous post because it's a little mind-boggling at first:

quote:I'm not saying that anyone would do that

Just call me "Reality-Man". But how many times have people wished they had 'more time'? A days work can make the difference between a good model and a fantastic one.

But as I said, I thought Mochumbo's idea of not being able to name the challenge twice in a row is a good idea. Im not totally opposed to the winner naming the next challenge, but it does upset the neutrality of the contest.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 06/05/03 - 9:09 PM Permalink

it aint broke...just keep it the way it is. :)

voting on the other hand needs some improvement.

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 08/05/03 - 8:35 PM Permalink

hi everyone :) im new to this challenge thing but when r we gonna get started ???? im so itching to find out what the next challenge is..... =)

cheers...

chris

Posted by souri on

Just a quick note that it's coming soon, so keep checking back on Sumea so that you don't miss out.. in case you missed the news post a while ago..

http://www.sumea.com.au/snews.asp?news=490

Prize for Sumea's 3rd 3D challenge: PS2 version of Grand Prix Challenge.. The very kind people at Infogrames have decided to donate a copy of Grand Prix Challenge (PS2) to be given to the winner of the 3rd Sumea 3D challenge - due to start around mid April.

(well, real soon now anyway!!!) [:)]

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 26/04/03 - 9:16 AM Permalink

Submitted by mochumbo on Mon, 28/04/03 - 1:36 AM Permalink

Malus, I like that. Except no one person should define the topic of a challenge twice in a row. If one person wins the challenge that they defined the topic for, then the topic of the next challenge should then be decided by the second place winner.

Submitted by Dan Ward on Mon, 05/05/03 - 6:05 PM Permalink

Lets get this show on the road already, the site is pretty dead when theres no challenge going on and i need something to read with my morning coffee.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 06/05/03 - 6:41 AM Permalink

I'm not so sure I agree. It's a good idea in theory, but what's to stop a winner starting a model early before announcing what the challenge will be? I'm not saying that anyone would do that - but for a free PS2 game, who's to say?

If possible, I'd go for the sponsor of the prize suggesting the idea. However, Dan's suggestion of never being able to name the topic twice in a row isn't a bad idea.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 06/05/03 - 6:53 AM Permalink

I just noticed most forums that do challenges do what I suggested and they have no worries.

I can only speak for myself but the prize isn't why I do this, if someone cheats then so be it, I could care less, they're the losers in the end.

And if someone wins all the time they still deserve the reward don't they, the rest of us would just have to do better, good motivation in my eyes.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 06/05/03 - 8:28 PM Permalink

Read this bit from my previous post because it's a little mind-boggling at first:

quote:I'm not saying that anyone would do that

Just call me "Reality-Man". But how many times have people wished they had 'more time'? A days work can make the difference between a good model and a fantastic one.

But as I said, I thought Mochumbo's idea of not being able to name the challenge twice in a row is a good idea. Im not totally opposed to the winner naming the next challenge, but it does upset the neutrality of the contest.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 06/05/03 - 9:09 PM Permalink

it aint broke...just keep it the way it is. :)

voting on the other hand needs some improvement.

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 08/05/03 - 8:35 PM Permalink

hi everyone :) im new to this challenge thing but when r we gonna get started ???? im so itching to find out what the next challenge is..... =)

cheers...

chris