Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #4 -3D- Ironikart - Challenger #12

Submitted by ironikart on

I've been through a few different ideas already, but I've taken a shining to this one. I still have a few issues with his armour that I'll tweak when I get closer to modelling him. I'm also still trying to decide what kind of weapon to give him... but here he is so far anyway:
[img]http://www.hotkey.com.au/~noody/images/fullimages/sumea_concept_theron…]

Submitted by shiva on Thu, 31/07/03 - 6:22 AM Permalink

nice concept
and nice latin

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 31/07/03 - 6:56 AM Permalink

hehe, 10 points for anyone that can tell me what it means? :)

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 31/07/03 - 8:04 AM Permalink

Cool concept.

I like the style. Should be interesting to see the transition to model and texture...

Submitted by shiva on Thu, 31/07/03 - 10:25 AM Permalink

"anything said in latin sounds profound"
[;)]

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 31/07/03 - 7:46 PM Permalink

nice work ironikart [:D] cant wait to see the model textured decided on the complimentary colours yet ???

once again nice comic work layout......... [:)]

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 31/07/03 - 8:54 PM Permalink

Nice concept Ironkart:

tried to find your latin phrase on a few latin dictionary/translation sites, this is all I came up with.

quicquid (no quidquid): whoever, whatever, whatsoever, anything at all.

Latine: unknown, but I guess this says 'latin'.

dictum ) to say, tell, speak, name, call, pronounce.
dictum : word, dictate.

sitio : to be thirsty.
sitis : thirst, dryness, drought, eager desire.
situs : region, idleness, inactivity

altum: unknown

viditur: unknown

Me thinks you may have some pig latin there or its an obscure way of saying something along the lines of: "who ever can read this is....bla bla"

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 31/07/03 - 9:17 PM Permalink

hehe, Shiva got it. I came across alot of latin (and Ye Olde Worlde stuff) when I was researching demons so I decided to put a little bit in mine. [;)]

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 31/07/03 - 9:39 PM Permalink

Nice idea -- I like your comic layout presentation. One thought; if you've got a Latin quote, would it be an idea to incorporate some Greek/Ancient Meditteranean motifs into the armour?

Is he partly mummified? I noticed the cloth wrapping on the legs and waist.

One question to Malus: the brief indicates that staying as close to the concept as possible - but if we've found something to improve, will that count as 'deviating from the idea'?

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 31/07/03 - 9:46 PM Permalink

yeah, I had thought to improve upon my base idea most of the way through the modelling.

He's got some mummy-like wraps on him... I wanted to give him an ancient feel. I hadn't decided on decorating the armour, or even it's final shape yet so I'll probably have some of the suggested motifs.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 31/07/03 - 9:52 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by ironikart

yeah, I had thought to improve upon my base idea most of the way through the modelling.

He's got some mummy-like wraps on him... I wanted to give him an ancient feel. I hadn't decided on decorating the armour, or even it's final shape yet so I'll probably have some of the suggested motifs.

Horsehair helmets (like the Elves in LOTRs) is a surefire reference to Greek armour, as are cuirasses.

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 31/07/03 - 11:15 PM Permalink

yeah, I might look up a few greek armour designs for further inspiration. I'd love to incorporate some batwing type stuff into the armour as well, but that'll depend on how it suits his overall look.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 01/08/03 - 1:12 AM Permalink

Nice job Shiva on the (cough)latin, I was close. [:)]

Ironkart: while searching for your translation I've noticed mixing latin words together to form quotes when translated back to english seems to be popular online but I'm pretty sure that isn't actually how it would be phrased in latin, just don't ask me for the correct one, lol.
I'm such a language nazi. hehe

Have you started modelling yet? I just ripped up (metaphorically) my first concept as it wasn't evil enough.

JonathanKerr: Any queries about the topic ask on the challenge thread or we'll get Ironkarts thread bogged down, I'll post the answer there ok. [:)]

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 01/08/03 - 2:05 AM Permalink

I'm not a latin buff... just picked that up off a funny site that had all sorts of weird things translated into latin.

I've started modelling and it's looking fair at the moment. I've got most of the upper body blocked in, but I'm still working on incorporating better armour into the design. He'll be fun to texture! I've modelled his head with a view to being able to animate his jaw (like the concept). It'll be interesting to see how that turns out as I've never done it before. [:)]

Submitted by Ninja on Mon, 04/08/03 - 3:33 AM Permalink

hell yeah now dat rawks !!! hes looking more like a warlord !!!! [:D]

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 04/08/03 - 7:06 PM Permalink

Very nice re-do, cool

Submitted by smeg on Mon, 04/08/03 - 9:22 PM Permalink

Wow. That second concept is very nice.

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 04/08/03 - 9:43 PM Permalink

Thanks for the comments guys. :) I've started on the modelling... Haven't got that much time up my sleeve but hopefully I'll have it up towards the end of the week, or beginning of the next.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 05/08/03 - 12:14 AM Permalink

Thanks for the comments guys. :) I've started on the modelling... Haven't got that much time up my sleeve but hopefully I'll have it up towards the end of the week, or beginning of the next.

I definitely prefer the re-worked concept, nice sketching. However, the unadorned arm with the big hand doesn't quite look right because the forearm doesn't look like it could support a hand that size. I'd recommend making the forearm longer or maybe disproportionate.

I like how you've got him 'tilted' as if it takes more weight to support the large hand.

Submitted by ironikart on Tue, 05/08/03 - 12:46 AM Permalink

funny you should mention that. I've been modelling that hand all day and couldn't figure out why it looked a little wierd. I beefed out his forearm and made his hand a little more "taloned" and it's looking a little more proportionate, but less weighty.

Submitted by ironikart on Wed, 06/08/03 - 6:34 PM Permalink

Got the basic model shape blocked in and I'm starting to add details and spending some polys on smoothing (currently at around 2500 polys). There's quite a few details left to model, but thought I'd post my progress anyway. Comments and Crit always welcome!.
[img]http://www.speedis.org/images/360024.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 06/08/03 - 9:06 PM Permalink

Looking good man, although I'm not sure about the size of the head, its teeny weeny man. Want ot post the wires too?

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 06/08/03 - 9:42 PM Permalink

Looking good but I have one comment.

It might be the view, but I think his elbow joint is a little too high. Since this guy is a biped and thus, based on human anatomy, his elbow should sit a little lower down.

Turn your arms facing out and you'll see that your arms come quite close to your hips or at least near the bottom of the rib cage (as opposed to quite high up on the rib cage on your guy).

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 07/08/03 - 12:33 AM Permalink

The proportion was intentional, although his head does look a little small. I actually re-sized it down to make him look a little more like a "big boss" type character. I might bump his head size up a couple of hat-sizes [;)]. The upperbody was based on some marvel characters, which tend towards being fairly high waisted and have short, bulky upper arms. I'll take that onboard though and try to adjust it so I get a balance between real and comic-like proportions.

I've probably said this before, but I'm pretty new to modelling in general and I've only been starting to pursue it as a possible career path fairly recently. Thanks for the comments guys, every bit helps immeasurably! [:)]

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 07/08/03 - 6:49 PM Permalink

Here's the wire view after I enlarged the head a little and adjusted some proportions on the arms. It's not a big difference, only some slight tweaking. Haven't had time to model the rest yet. I've decided on giving him weapon... just got to model it. [}:)]

[img]http://www.speedis.org/images/363341.jpg[/img]

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 07/08/03 - 8:33 PM Permalink

It's probably a little late to mention it, but i'd love to see that model adhere closer to the exaggerated proportions in your second concept.

That second piece of concept art is sweet...

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 07/08/03 - 9:48 PM Permalink

I didn't mind the small head -- makes him look bigger. If you made his neck muscles (trapezoids?) a little more pronounced, it would fit well to give it the comic book proportions that you talked about.

Are you still gonna add those standards on his back from the first concept?

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 07/08/03 - 11:03 PM Permalink

Looking good so far, could use a bit of optimising, especially the feet.
I'd go to town on his muscle definition etc, since you've got heaps of polys to play with.

Posted by ironikart on

I've been through a few different ideas already, but I've taken a shining to this one. I still have a few issues with his armour that I'll tweak when I get closer to modelling him. I'm also still trying to decide what kind of weapon to give him... but here he is so far anyway:
[img]http://www.hotkey.com.au/~noody/images/fullimages/sumea_concept_theron…]

Submitted by shiva on Thu, 31/07/03 - 6:22 AM Permalink

nice concept
and nice latin

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 31/07/03 - 6:56 AM Permalink

hehe, 10 points for anyone that can tell me what it means? :)

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 31/07/03 - 8:04 AM Permalink

Cool concept.

I like the style. Should be interesting to see the transition to model and texture...

Submitted by shiva on Thu, 31/07/03 - 10:25 AM Permalink

"anything said in latin sounds profound"
[;)]

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 31/07/03 - 7:46 PM Permalink

nice work ironikart [:D] cant wait to see the model textured decided on the complimentary colours yet ???

once again nice comic work layout......... [:)]

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 31/07/03 - 8:54 PM Permalink

Nice concept Ironkart:

tried to find your latin phrase on a few latin dictionary/translation sites, this is all I came up with.

quicquid (no quidquid): whoever, whatever, whatsoever, anything at all.

Latine: unknown, but I guess this says 'latin'.

dictum ) to say, tell, speak, name, call, pronounce.
dictum : word, dictate.

sitio : to be thirsty.
sitis : thirst, dryness, drought, eager desire.
situs : region, idleness, inactivity

altum: unknown

viditur: unknown

Me thinks you may have some pig latin there or its an obscure way of saying something along the lines of: "who ever can read this is....bla bla"

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 31/07/03 - 9:17 PM Permalink

hehe, Shiva got it. I came across alot of latin (and Ye Olde Worlde stuff) when I was researching demons so I decided to put a little bit in mine. [;)]

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 31/07/03 - 9:39 PM Permalink

Nice idea -- I like your comic layout presentation. One thought; if you've got a Latin quote, would it be an idea to incorporate some Greek/Ancient Meditteranean motifs into the armour?

Is he partly mummified? I noticed the cloth wrapping on the legs and waist.

One question to Malus: the brief indicates that staying as close to the concept as possible - but if we've found something to improve, will that count as 'deviating from the idea'?

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 31/07/03 - 9:46 PM Permalink

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 31/07/03 - 9:52 PM Permalink

Horsehair helmets (like the Elves in LOTRs) is a surefire reference to Greek armour, as are cuirasses.

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 31/07/03 - 11:15 PM Permalink

yeah, I might look up a few greek armour designs for further inspiration. I'd love to incorporate some batwing type stuff into the armour as well, but that'll depend on how it suits his overall look.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 01/08/03 - 1:12 AM Permalink

Nice job Shiva on the (cough)latin, I was close. [:)]

Ironkart: while searching for your translation I've noticed mixing latin words together to form quotes when translated back to english seems to be popular online but I'm pretty sure that isn't actually how it would be phrased in latin, just don't ask me for the correct one, lol.
I'm such a language nazi. hehe

Have you started modelling yet? I just ripped up (metaphorically) my first concept as it wasn't evil enough.

JonathanKerr: Any queries about the topic ask on the challenge thread or we'll get Ironkarts thread bogged down, I'll post the answer there ok. [:)]

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 01/08/03 - 2:05 AM Permalink

I'm not a latin buff... just picked that up off a funny site that had all sorts of weird things translated into latin.

I've started modelling and it's looking fair at the moment. I've got most of the upper body blocked in, but I'm still working on incorporating better armour into the design. He'll be fun to texture! I've modelled his head with a view to being able to animate his jaw (like the concept). It'll be interesting to see how that turns out as I've never done it before. [:)]

Submitted by Ninja on Mon, 04/08/03 - 3:33 AM Permalink

hell yeah now dat rawks !!! hes looking more like a warlord !!!! [:D]

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 04/08/03 - 7:06 PM Permalink

Very nice re-do, cool

Submitted by smeg on Mon, 04/08/03 - 9:22 PM Permalink

Wow. That second concept is very nice.

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 04/08/03 - 9:43 PM Permalink

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 05/08/03 - 12:14 AM Permalink

I definitely prefer the re-worked concept, nice sketching. However, the unadorned arm with the big hand doesn't quite look right because the forearm doesn't look like it could support a hand that size. I'd recommend making the forearm longer or maybe disproportionate.

I like how you've got him 'tilted' as if it takes more weight to support the large hand.

Submitted by ironikart on Tue, 05/08/03 - 12:46 AM Permalink

funny you should mention that. I've been modelling that hand all day and couldn't figure out why it looked a little wierd. I beefed out his forearm and made his hand a little more "taloned" and it's looking a little more proportionate, but less weighty.

Submitted by ironikart on Wed, 06/08/03 - 6:34 PM Permalink

Got the basic model shape blocked in and I'm starting to add details and spending some polys on smoothing (currently at around 2500 polys). There's quite a few details left to model, but thought I'd post my progress anyway. Comments and Crit always welcome!.
[img]http://www.speedis.org/images/360024.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 06/08/03 - 9:06 PM Permalink

Looking good man, although I'm not sure about the size of the head, its teeny weeny man. Want ot post the wires too?

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 06/08/03 - 9:42 PM Permalink

Looking good but I have one comment.

It might be the view, but I think his elbow joint is a little too high. Since this guy is a biped and thus, based on human anatomy, his elbow should sit a little lower down.

Turn your arms facing out and you'll see that your arms come quite close to your hips or at least near the bottom of the rib cage (as opposed to quite high up on the rib cage on your guy).

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 07/08/03 - 12:33 AM Permalink

The proportion was intentional, although his head does look a little small. I actually re-sized it down to make him look a little more like a "big boss" type character. I might bump his head size up a couple of hat-sizes [;)]. The upperbody was based on some marvel characters, which tend towards being fairly high waisted and have short, bulky upper arms. I'll take that onboard though and try to adjust it so I get a balance between real and comic-like proportions.

I've probably said this before, but I'm pretty new to modelling in general and I've only been starting to pursue it as a possible career path fairly recently. Thanks for the comments guys, every bit helps immeasurably! [:)]

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 07/08/03 - 6:49 PM Permalink

Here's the wire view after I enlarged the head a little and adjusted some proportions on the arms. It's not a big difference, only some slight tweaking. Haven't had time to model the rest yet. I've decided on giving him weapon... just got to model it. [}:)]

[img]http://www.speedis.org/images/363341.jpg[/img]

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 07/08/03 - 8:33 PM Permalink

It's probably a little late to mention it, but i'd love to see that model adhere closer to the exaggerated proportions in your second concept.

That second piece of concept art is sweet...

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 07/08/03 - 9:48 PM Permalink

I didn't mind the small head -- makes him look bigger. If you made his neck muscles (trapezoids?) a little more pronounced, it would fit well to give it the comic book proportions that you talked about.

Are you still gonna add those standards on his back from the first concept?

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 07/08/03 - 11:03 PM Permalink

Looking good so far, could use a bit of optimising, especially the feet.
I'd go to town on his muscle definition etc, since you've got heaps of polys to play with.