Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #6 -3D- Delmo - Challenger #18

Submitted by Delmo on

Hey everyone, for my submission I decided to model a virus infected tyrant boss. The idea came about from the mutants you come across in the resident evil games. In my concept I imagined it to be about 9 feet tall so he would be a scary opponent to fight. The model at the moment is spot on 8500 tris so at this stage it's my final mesh. I'll throw up better renders with the wireframe soon. Does anyone know the best way to get your wireframe to show on top of your model? I used to clone the model and give it a wire material but it's not working for me this time.

[url]http://www.geocities.com/patrick_delmastro/tyrantfront.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.geocities.com/patrick_delmastro/tyrantback.jpg[/url]

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 30/07/04 - 5:49 AM Permalink

the links are not showing the pictures[V]
but looking forward to seeing it considering how far you are.[:)]

Submitted by Delmo on Fri, 30/07/04 - 5:52 AM Permalink

It works if u copy the url and paste it into your address bar
sorry for the hassle

Submitted by xyz on Fri, 30/07/04 - 6:21 AM Permalink

you should use the image system set up for the comp if you want feedback.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 30/07/04 - 7:02 AM Permalink

Nice work Pat [:D] Look forward to seeing how you texture this beast !!

To get a good wireframe just copy, select all edges, click create shape from selection, check linear, then select the spline object and check renderable. give it a matt black material or something that sticks out from your mesh colour [:D]

I can see the Resident Evil Outbreak influences in the mesh - with what seems to be some great big eyes on his body + the huge clawed hand.

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 30/07/04 - 7:04 AM Permalink

i have to agree with hazard, thats looking superb, very nice overall detail, no crits.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Fri, 30/07/04 - 7:16 AM Permalink

hey pat nice model there!

altho it looks a heap like that resident evil outbreak monster from the games intro movie hehehe

but still its very cool. nice job!

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 30/07/04 - 8:10 AM Permalink

Holy Shit. Very cool.

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 30/07/04 - 8:19 AM Permalink

there is a post under 'Some handy tips for the comp... ' regarding rendering line

i think you are meant to post your progress.......?
yours is allready finished without seeing any development or sketches or brief??....... i think that stops everyone bringing out thier scariest and best work and saing there you go.. my submission[V][?]

plus it takes the suspense out of it....

i believe you though.... 8500 tris isnt the most common budget[;)]

it is really good though..... kinda borders sci-fi (with all those hose things)/quake....

i like the big feet... reminds me of the childrens book 'where the wild things are'

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/07/04 - 8:20 AM Permalink

holy hell.... im worried about this, it draws similarities to my own work yet its so much better! damn ive been outdone (who woulda thunk it ;) )
seriously though thats great work, love it.

Submitted by MarkMash on Fri, 30/07/04 - 10:12 AM Permalink

Hey pat,

Looks like a contender you have there! Awesome work so far.

Submitted by Jackablade on Fri, 30/07/04 - 10:18 AM Permalink

quote:plus it takes the suspense out of it....Plus you can't prove that its a new model or indeed that its your own work, not that I'm suggesting it isn't. Its looking very nice, but you'd better ask Souri and/or Malus whether its ok to enter a model with out WIPs like this.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 30/07/04 - 7:06 PM Permalink

Jackablade: Sounds like a case of the green eyed monsters to me. [:P]
I know Pat personally and can vouch for the fact he wouldn't cheat. He's just a talented freak.

Also the brief never states to post WIP's, it would be nice but only so people can see how you go about there work for the purpose of gaining knowledge.

Do we really need to see prove? I for one can take people as being honest, if you're found to cheat you'll look like an absolute wank, not to mention this industry has a long and unforgiving memory when it comes to cheats/ripp offs.

Great work man, glad to see you've entered. Post some wires!!

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 30/07/04 - 7:27 PM Permalink

Holly shit, now I'm going to have to try and beat that. This is going to make the challenge a lot more challenging for all.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 30/07/04 - 9:34 PM Permalink

That is a very cool design. Quite freaky with its assymetry and grotesque mutations. I'm early anticipating your textures and colour scheme.

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 31/07/04 - 3:10 AM Permalink

You make an old teacher proud young padawan. [:P]

Submitted by RasTuS on Sat, 31/07/04 - 8:48 AM Permalink

nice work pat

lol lots of arms ay

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 31/07/04 - 11:11 PM Permalink

Come on Dean, you know it wasn't your uber teaching skills that got Pat where he is today. [;)] The guy lived, breathed and ate 3dsMax for 2 years [:O] and it shows.

Submitted by Delmo on Sun, 01/08/04 - 10:18 AM Permalink

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Actually Hazard Deano did help my alot back in my qantm days sometimes staying back an extra hour in labs just to help me out.

Cheers man

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 01/08/04 - 11:10 PM Permalink

Yeah I know Dean was a champ, helped everyone out - [:)] I was just takin the piss, especially for unlicensed useage of starwars terms [:P]

Submitted by shath on Mon, 02/08/04 - 2:22 AM Permalink

looks really good pat love the eye on the back, I also was going to have an eye but motze told me to take it off but your model dose it justus.
awsome work

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 02/08/04 - 6:59 PM Permalink

I actually meant its good to see someone doing so well since the last time I saw him he was a student, wasn't by any means taking credit lol. [:P]

Pat: Did you read the PM I sent? Can't wait to see this one done.

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Mon, 02/08/04 - 10:58 PM Permalink

oooh.... nice pat. good to see you join ;) heh, watch out for this boy everyone.

Submitted by Delmo on Tue, 03/08/04 - 2:44 AM Permalink

Here's the wires so far. I found a cylindar hideing under the mesh so the count is 8364. i'll probably add some more detail with the remaining poly.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Delmo/20048224236_Tyrant01.jpg"]Tyrant01.jpg[/url]
24.97?KB

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Delmo/2004822431_Tyrant02.jpg"]Tyrant02.jpg[/url]
23.35?KB

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Delmo/20048224322_Tyrant03.jpg"]Tyrant03.jpg[/url]
24.79?KB

Submitted by tojo on Tue, 03/08/04 - 5:15 AM Permalink

turning out nice dude....

really like the body mesh ... super tight

what approach are you going to take with the texture?

are you going to use the alpha for bump?

quote: virus infected tyrant boss

he looks more like the virus infected tyrant boss's number 1 big guy right hand man.... rather than the mastermind of any evil [;)]

actually that is my only gripe... is that he doesnt really look scary.. he looks kickass tough.... but not really that 'scary'

[:p] mind you... wouldnt want to meet up with him in a dark alley!

Submitted by Delmo on Tue, 03/08/04 - 5:57 AM Permalink

Thanks tojo, I like to keep my mesh as tight as possible. For the textures I decided not to use alpha. I'll first attempt both bump and specular and see how it olds up if thats a no go I'll probably use specular. Won't know for sure until I do some tests and see what best suits the character.

I'm hoping the textures will make it look abit more scary but them again I haven't touched game art in 8 months so I don't know how effective the textures are going to bring it out. I'm going to buy a tab though so hopfully that will help.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 03/08/04 - 8:47 AM Permalink

Great flow man, it should animate well.

My only critique: I think you could redistribute a few polies or use the remaining ones so that his butt is smoother and his ankles, calfs and feet are more defined, seemed to be slightly top heavy polycount wise.

Hope you made that eye a seperate element so you can animate it looking around. [:)]

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 03/08/04 - 8:20 PM Permalink

With them extra polys, I would add a few to the craw, as they are so huge they look very low res compared to the rest of the model.

Submitted by Delmo on Wed, 04/08/04 - 4:00 AM Permalink

Malus - Thanks, yeah for sure man now that I look at it the lowerbody could use some more polys.

Doord - True. Good point. I'll see how many polys are need to smooth the lowerbody and check the count.

Cheers for the advice.
Next post should be my uv maps.

Submitted by Jackablade on Wed, 04/08/04 - 8:20 PM Permalink

quote:Jackablade: Sounds like a case of the green eyed monsters to me.Lets not get insulting mister Malus. Its a pretty standard thing. He wouldn't be qualified for comps at quite a few of the forums that I frequent.

Posted by Delmo on

Hey everyone, for my submission I decided to model a virus infected tyrant boss. The idea came about from the mutants you come across in the resident evil games. In my concept I imagined it to be about 9 feet tall so he would be a scary opponent to fight. The model at the moment is spot on 8500 tris so at this stage it's my final mesh. I'll throw up better renders with the wireframe soon. Does anyone know the best way to get your wireframe to show on top of your model? I used to clone the model and give it a wire material but it's not working for me this time.

[url]http://www.geocities.com/patrick_delmastro/tyrantfront.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.geocities.com/patrick_delmastro/tyrantback.jpg[/url]

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 30/07/04 - 5:49 AM Permalink

the links are not showing the pictures[V]
but looking forward to seeing it considering how far you are.[:)]

Submitted by Delmo on Fri, 30/07/04 - 5:52 AM Permalink

It works if u copy the url and paste it into your address bar
sorry for the hassle

Submitted by xyz on Fri, 30/07/04 - 6:21 AM Permalink

you should use the image system set up for the comp if you want feedback.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 30/07/04 - 7:02 AM Permalink

Nice work Pat [:D] Look forward to seeing how you texture this beast !!

To get a good wireframe just copy, select all edges, click create shape from selection, check linear, then select the spline object and check renderable. give it a matt black material or something that sticks out from your mesh colour [:D]

I can see the Resident Evil Outbreak influences in the mesh - with what seems to be some great big eyes on his body + the huge clawed hand.

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 30/07/04 - 7:04 AM Permalink

i have to agree with hazard, thats looking superb, very nice overall detail, no crits.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Fri, 30/07/04 - 7:16 AM Permalink

hey pat nice model there!

altho it looks a heap like that resident evil outbreak monster from the games intro movie hehehe

but still its very cool. nice job!

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 30/07/04 - 8:10 AM Permalink

Holy Shit. Very cool.

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 30/07/04 - 8:19 AM Permalink

there is a post under 'Some handy tips for the comp... ' regarding rendering line

i think you are meant to post your progress.......?
yours is allready finished without seeing any development or sketches or brief??....... i think that stops everyone bringing out thier scariest and best work and saing there you go.. my submission[V][?]

plus it takes the suspense out of it....

i believe you though.... 8500 tris isnt the most common budget[;)]

it is really good though..... kinda borders sci-fi (with all those hose things)/quake....

i like the big feet... reminds me of the childrens book 'where the wild things are'

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/07/04 - 8:20 AM Permalink

holy hell.... im worried about this, it draws similarities to my own work yet its so much better! damn ive been outdone (who woulda thunk it ;) )
seriously though thats great work, love it.

Submitted by MarkMash on Fri, 30/07/04 - 10:12 AM Permalink

Hey pat,

Looks like a contender you have there! Awesome work so far.

Submitted by Jackablade on Fri, 30/07/04 - 10:18 AM Permalink

quote:plus it takes the suspense out of it....Plus you can't prove that its a new model or indeed that its your own work, not that I'm suggesting it isn't. Its looking very nice, but you'd better ask Souri and/or Malus whether its ok to enter a model with out WIPs like this.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 30/07/04 - 7:06 PM Permalink

Jackablade: Sounds like a case of the green eyed monsters to me. [:P]
I know Pat personally and can vouch for the fact he wouldn't cheat. He's just a talented freak.

Also the brief never states to post WIP's, it would be nice but only so people can see how you go about there work for the purpose of gaining knowledge.

Do we really need to see prove? I for one can take people as being honest, if you're found to cheat you'll look like an absolute wank, not to mention this industry has a long and unforgiving memory when it comes to cheats/ripp offs.

Great work man, glad to see you've entered. Post some wires!!

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 30/07/04 - 7:27 PM Permalink

Holly shit, now I'm going to have to try and beat that. This is going to make the challenge a lot more challenging for all.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 30/07/04 - 9:34 PM Permalink

That is a very cool design. Quite freaky with its assymetry and grotesque mutations. I'm early anticipating your textures and colour scheme.

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 31/07/04 - 3:10 AM Permalink

You make an old teacher proud young padawan. [:P]

Submitted by RasTuS on Sat, 31/07/04 - 8:48 AM Permalink

nice work pat

lol lots of arms ay

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 31/07/04 - 11:11 PM Permalink

Come on Dean, you know it wasn't your uber teaching skills that got Pat where he is today. [;)] The guy lived, breathed and ate 3dsMax for 2 years [:O] and it shows.

Submitted by Delmo on Sun, 01/08/04 - 10:18 AM Permalink

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Actually Hazard Deano did help my alot back in my qantm days sometimes staying back an extra hour in labs just to help me out.

Cheers man

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 01/08/04 - 11:10 PM Permalink

Yeah I know Dean was a champ, helped everyone out - [:)] I was just takin the piss, especially for unlicensed useage of starwars terms [:P]

Submitted by shath on Mon, 02/08/04 - 2:22 AM Permalink

looks really good pat love the eye on the back, I also was going to have an eye but motze told me to take it off but your model dose it justus.
awsome work

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 02/08/04 - 6:59 PM Permalink

I actually meant its good to see someone doing so well since the last time I saw him he was a student, wasn't by any means taking credit lol. [:P]

Pat: Did you read the PM I sent? Can't wait to see this one done.

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Mon, 02/08/04 - 10:58 PM Permalink

oooh.... nice pat. good to see you join ;) heh, watch out for this boy everyone.

Submitted by Delmo on Tue, 03/08/04 - 2:44 AM Permalink

Here's the wires so far. I found a cylindar hideing under the mesh so the count is 8364. i'll probably add some more detail with the remaining poly.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Delmo/20048224236_Tyrant01.jpg"]Tyrant01.jpg[/url]
24.97?KB

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Delmo/2004822431_Tyrant02.jpg"]Tyrant02.jpg[/url]
23.35?KB

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Delmo/20048224322_Tyrant03.jpg"]Tyrant03.jpg[/url]
24.79?KB

Submitted by tojo on Tue, 03/08/04 - 5:15 AM Permalink

turning out nice dude....

really like the body mesh ... super tight

what approach are you going to take with the texture?

are you going to use the alpha for bump?

quote: virus infected tyrant boss

he looks more like the virus infected tyrant boss's number 1 big guy right hand man.... rather than the mastermind of any evil [;)]

actually that is my only gripe... is that he doesnt really look scary.. he looks kickass tough.... but not really that 'scary'

[:p] mind you... wouldnt want to meet up with him in a dark alley!

Submitted by Delmo on Tue, 03/08/04 - 5:57 AM Permalink

Thanks tojo, I like to keep my mesh as tight as possible. For the textures I decided not to use alpha. I'll first attempt both bump and specular and see how it olds up if thats a no go I'll probably use specular. Won't know for sure until I do some tests and see what best suits the character.

I'm hoping the textures will make it look abit more scary but them again I haven't touched game art in 8 months so I don't know how effective the textures are going to bring it out. I'm going to buy a tab though so hopfully that will help.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 03/08/04 - 8:47 AM Permalink

Great flow man, it should animate well.

My only critique: I think you could redistribute a few polies or use the remaining ones so that his butt is smoother and his ankles, calfs and feet are more defined, seemed to be slightly top heavy polycount wise.

Hope you made that eye a seperate element so you can animate it looking around. [:)]

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 03/08/04 - 8:20 PM Permalink

With them extra polys, I would add a few to the craw, as they are so huge they look very low res compared to the rest of the model.

Submitted by Delmo on Wed, 04/08/04 - 4:00 AM Permalink

Malus - Thanks, yeah for sure man now that I look at it the lowerbody could use some more polys.

Doord - True. Good point. I'll see how many polys are need to smooth the lowerbody and check the count.

Cheers for the advice.
Next post should be my uv maps.

Submitted by Jackablade on Wed, 04/08/04 - 8:20 PM Permalink

quote:Jackablade: Sounds like a case of the green eyed monsters to me.Lets not get insulting mister Malus. Its a pretty standard thing. He wouldn't be qualified for comps at quite a few of the forums that I frequent.