Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #4 -3D- 'Idaho' - Challenger #9

Submitted by Idaho on

Im In sounds like a fun theme!

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 07/08/03 - 9:52 PM Permalink

Not a bad concept but I think it looks a bit similar to Motaro from Mortal Kombat II.

I like how you've silhouetted his opposite legs. It gives the pic a feeling of depth.

Personally, I feel a studded club is a bit simplistic for an overlord -- perhaps a more adorned, ornamental or savage weapon would be appropriate?

Look forward to the model.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 07/08/03 - 11:34 PM Permalink

The weapon is a problem, it conveys hes not the boss.

Also maybe give it some adornments, if hes the boss hes bound to have collected things during his rise to power and kings/queens generally like showing their status.
Possibly armour, enemies skulls hanging from him etc.

Submitted by smeg on Fri, 08/08/03 - 9:20 AM Permalink

I think the weapon could definately work. But take a slant on what Malus said, and make sure the weapon shows evidence of use; staining maybe?

Submitted by Idaho on Sat, 09/08/03 - 12:42 AM Permalink

for sure, perhaps some pulpitated liver etc.. :)

Submitted by Idaho on Sat, 16/08/03 - 8:29 AM Permalink

i dunno malus, i think if that guy was beating me over the head id think he was conveying he was the 'boss' enough :)

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 16/08/03 - 9:48 AM Permalink

well yes, but thats not what I was getting at. [:P]

Submitted by smeg on Sun, 14/09/03 - 4:46 AM Permalink

That looks good.

I like the way the head and torso are turning out...

Submitted by Idaho on Mon, 15/09/03 - 11:58 PM Permalink

just had a look at a horses front legs, they should be bending forwards...hehe oh well. back to the drawing board

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 25/09/03 - 9:26 AM Permalink

like the head study, but, gosh, that might be a fair to extreme amount of triangles to remove as to get under 3500.... the concept seemed to have some wild hair from behind the head.... could see some messy orange long hair behind the face in the head study.

DSC

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 29/09/03 - 6:21 AM Permalink

Sorry, I didnt see this earlier, so this isnt that helpfull at this stage of the model.
There are a few anatomical issues.
The first one is the waist/chest/stomach area of the horse part. It looks extremely skinny and needs to be beefed up a bit Compare it to the front of the horse area and even the the thighs and you can see it looks small.
Secondly is the way the front legs bend, this would probably make it hard to walk (and animate). I think it would have been better to have them bend the other way like humans and horses do.
Lastly, (and this is probably just a personal thing) but he looks a little short vertically.
Having good solid anatomy can go a long way in improving your modelling skills. Dont be afriad of grabing references to help you with the anatomy if you are unsure.
Once agian, Im sorry this is a little late but maybe its something you can keep in mind when creating future models.
Best of luck to you in the challange......its nearly the deadline!!!
:)

Submitted by souri on Mon, 29/09/03 - 9:00 AM Permalink

You wacky people uploading your entries with less than an hour to go [;)] You're Challenger #9, Idaho!

Submitted by Idaho on Mon, 29/09/03 - 9:16 AM Permalink

total of 3262 polys used

Posted by Idaho on

Im In sounds like a fun theme!

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 07/08/03 - 9:52 PM Permalink

Not a bad concept but I think it looks a bit similar to Motaro from Mortal Kombat II.

I like how you've silhouetted his opposite legs. It gives the pic a feeling of depth.

Personally, I feel a studded club is a bit simplistic for an overlord -- perhaps a more adorned, ornamental or savage weapon would be appropriate?

Look forward to the model.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 07/08/03 - 11:34 PM Permalink

The weapon is a problem, it conveys hes not the boss.

Also maybe give it some adornments, if hes the boss hes bound to have collected things during his rise to power and kings/queens generally like showing their status.
Possibly armour, enemies skulls hanging from him etc.

Submitted by smeg on Fri, 08/08/03 - 9:20 AM Permalink

I think the weapon could definately work. But take a slant on what Malus said, and make sure the weapon shows evidence of use; staining maybe?

Submitted by Idaho on Sat, 09/08/03 - 12:42 AM Permalink

for sure, perhaps some pulpitated liver etc.. :)

Submitted by Idaho on Sat, 16/08/03 - 8:29 AM Permalink

i dunno malus, i think if that guy was beating me over the head id think he was conveying he was the 'boss' enough :)

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 16/08/03 - 9:48 AM Permalink

well yes, but thats not what I was getting at. [:P]

Submitted by smeg on Sun, 14/09/03 - 4:46 AM Permalink

That looks good.

I like the way the head and torso are turning out...

Submitted by Idaho on Mon, 15/09/03 - 11:58 PM Permalink

just had a look at a horses front legs, they should be bending forwards...hehe oh well. back to the drawing board

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 25/09/03 - 9:26 AM Permalink

like the head study, but, gosh, that might be a fair to extreme amount of triangles to remove as to get under 3500.... the concept seemed to have some wild hair from behind the head.... could see some messy orange long hair behind the face in the head study.

DSC

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 29/09/03 - 6:21 AM Permalink

Sorry, I didnt see this earlier, so this isnt that helpfull at this stage of the model.
There are a few anatomical issues.
The first one is the waist/chest/stomach area of the horse part. It looks extremely skinny and needs to be beefed up a bit Compare it to the front of the horse area and even the the thighs and you can see it looks small.
Secondly is the way the front legs bend, this would probably make it hard to walk (and animate). I think it would have been better to have them bend the other way like humans and horses do.
Lastly, (and this is probably just a personal thing) but he looks a little short vertically.
Having good solid anatomy can go a long way in improving your modelling skills. Dont be afriad of grabing references to help you with the anatomy if you are unsure.
Once agian, Im sorry this is a little late but maybe its something you can keep in mind when creating future models.
Best of luck to you in the challange......its nearly the deadline!!!
:)

Submitted by souri on Mon, 29/09/03 - 9:00 AM Permalink

You wacky people uploading your entries with less than an hour to go [;)] You're Challenger #9, Idaho!

Submitted by Idaho on Mon, 29/09/03 - 9:16 AM Permalink

total of 3262 polys used