Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #2 - 3D - Idaho

Submitted by Idaho on
Submitted by Dan Ward on Wed, 26/03/03 - 7:54 AM Permalink

Way to go Idaho!

- sorry had to say it..

looks cool better get a move on tho just over a week left :)

Submitted by Idaho on Wed, 26/03/03 - 9:22 AM Permalink

plenty-o-time sunshine! :)

Submitted by Idaho on Wed, 26/03/03 - 10:36 PM Permalink

Any critz?

I have started modeling the character, should be modelled soon, and i will then post another update.

:)

Submitted by Dan Ward on Wed, 26/03/03 - 11:34 PM Permalink

Concept looks good although its a little stylised to be able to give feed back on how you intend to model it.

Submitted by Dan Ward on Fri, 28/03/03 - 6:40 PM Permalink

Looking good whats your poly count looks like you should have a few polys left for detail work

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 28/03/03 - 7:07 PM Permalink

Coming along well, but the legs are a little short, you might want to stretch them out a little, otherwise it looks like he has is pants up to high.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Idaho on Sun, 30/03/03 - 12:32 AM Permalink

Currently 1142 polys, combo of quads and tris.
does anyone know how to show tris in max?

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 30/03/03 - 2:58 AM Permalink

Folow these rules 3 and the triangles you will see:

right click over any viewport-> convert to-> convert to editable mesh.

Shazam!! Your true polycount will be revealed.

You have been amazed by the great Malusino. [APPLAUDE]

Submitted by Idaho on Sun, 30/03/03 - 9:34 AM Permalink

sweet as! man thanks heaps. :)

Submitted by davidcoen on Fri, 04/04/03 - 8:47 AM Permalink

Hello Idaho,
wow, your model looks great.

your coloured concept sketch has some great colour definitions and variations. any though on making the texture palet match more closly?

DSC

Submitted by Idaho on Fri, 04/04/03 - 9:38 AM Permalink

i actually tried matching to the colour study, but it wasnt realistic enough, the cloth looked like metal :)

Submitted by davidcoen on Sat, 05/04/03 - 10:54 AM Permalink

ok, yeah, i guess i am showing doubious fashion sence liking a metalic fabric coat~ but it was more so the pale flesh tones that i liked....

actually the legs seem a little short...?

Submitted by Dan Ward on Sun, 06/04/03 - 7:05 PM Permalink

Thought id give some feedback here rather than the voting thread, I'm going to try and give feedback on everyone's models from now on. Afterall that's why we are here, glory posts are nice but we only improve with good C&C.

*Disclaimer these are my personal opinions you can take or leave them as you see fit.

I have to admit when I first saw your entry I thought it was cool but nothing special, but it grows on me the more I see it.

The mesh looks nice and neat although I can see a fair few places you could have optimised and freed up polys for more detail and/or a weapon which would have pushed you into the "way cool" category

You only used 2600 polys .. you have 400 left, that's one thing that everyone from the first challenge learnt this time round, if you have a 3000 poly limit use them all.

Your UVMAP looks well done, nice big chunks with minimal seams. At first glance the texture sheet looks a little dull but on the model it looks great and works really well. At the end of the day that's what counts right?

Overall I think this is a solid bit of game art and I would go so far as to say it looks "Professional" (meaning I could see this in a commercial game)

Next time use all your polys :)

Great job.

Submitted by Idaho on Mon, 07/04/03 - 12:26 AM Permalink

Thanx for the critz dan, much appreciated the time u have taken. As for the poly count it was more an issue of time rather than just forgetting to use them.
Thats why i left 400 polys spare :)

Posted by Idaho on

Submitted by Dan Ward on Wed, 26/03/03 - 7:54 AM Permalink

Way to go Idaho!

- sorry had to say it..

looks cool better get a move on tho just over a week left :)

Submitted by Idaho on Wed, 26/03/03 - 9:22 AM Permalink

plenty-o-time sunshine! :)

Submitted by Idaho on Wed, 26/03/03 - 10:36 PM Permalink

Any critz?

I have started modeling the character, should be modelled soon, and i will then post another update.

:)

Submitted by Dan Ward on Wed, 26/03/03 - 11:34 PM Permalink

Concept looks good although its a little stylised to be able to give feed back on how you intend to model it.

Submitted by Dan Ward on Fri, 28/03/03 - 6:40 PM Permalink

Looking good whats your poly count looks like you should have a few polys left for detail work

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 28/03/03 - 7:07 PM Permalink

Coming along well, but the legs are a little short, you might want to stretch them out a little, otherwise it looks like he has is pants up to high.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Idaho on Sun, 30/03/03 - 12:32 AM Permalink

Currently 1142 polys, combo of quads and tris.
does anyone know how to show tris in max?

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 30/03/03 - 2:58 AM Permalink

Folow these rules 3 and the triangles you will see:

right click over any viewport-> convert to-> convert to editable mesh.

Shazam!! Your true polycount will be revealed.

You have been amazed by the great Malusino. [APPLAUDE]

Submitted by Idaho on Sun, 30/03/03 - 9:34 AM Permalink

sweet as! man thanks heaps. :)

Submitted by davidcoen on Fri, 04/04/03 - 8:47 AM Permalink

Hello Idaho,
wow, your model looks great.

your coloured concept sketch has some great colour definitions and variations. any though on making the texture palet match more closly?

DSC

Submitted by Idaho on Fri, 04/04/03 - 9:38 AM Permalink

i actually tried matching to the colour study, but it wasnt realistic enough, the cloth looked like metal :)

Submitted by davidcoen on Sat, 05/04/03 - 10:54 AM Permalink

ok, yeah, i guess i am showing doubious fashion sence liking a metalic fabric coat~ but it was more so the pale flesh tones that i liked....

actually the legs seem a little short...?

Submitted by Dan Ward on Sun, 06/04/03 - 7:05 PM Permalink

Thought id give some feedback here rather than the voting thread, I'm going to try and give feedback on everyone's models from now on. Afterall that's why we are here, glory posts are nice but we only improve with good C&C.

*Disclaimer these are my personal opinions you can take or leave them as you see fit.

I have to admit when I first saw your entry I thought it was cool but nothing special, but it grows on me the more I see it.

The mesh looks nice and neat although I can see a fair few places you could have optimised and freed up polys for more detail and/or a weapon which would have pushed you into the "way cool" category

You only used 2600 polys .. you have 400 left, that's one thing that everyone from the first challenge learnt this time round, if you have a 3000 poly limit use them all.

Your UVMAP looks well done, nice big chunks with minimal seams. At first glance the texture sheet looks a little dull but on the model it looks great and works really well. At the end of the day that's what counts right?

Overall I think this is a solid bit of game art and I would go so far as to say it looks "Professional" (meaning I could see this in a commercial game)

Next time use all your polys :)

Great job.

Submitted by Idaho on Mon, 07/04/03 - 12:26 AM Permalink

Thanx for the critz dan, much appreciated the time u have taken. As for the poly count it was more an issue of time rather than just forgetting to use them.
Thats why i left 400 polys spare :)