Skip to main content

A quiff about my Graphire2 tablet

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

I got a Wacom Graphire2 about a month ago, just before they started bringing out Graphire3's. I haven't really used it that much, just a few hours of doodling now and then, but the plastic overlay has developed air bubbles. You know when you use contact to cover your school books? Sometimes you'd get air bubbles, so you'd press and squeaze them, and instead of air bubbles, you have these hard creases? Well, that's what my overlay has now. You can imagine how annoying hard creases can be when trying to draw. I didn't squeaze the air bubbles btw.. that just developed as I drew where the air bubbles were. I keep my graphics tablet in a cool place, out of sunlight etc, so all I can gather is that the overlay was something cheap that wasn't made to last (well, it didn't survive the few times I used it). Not something I'd expect from a company like Wacom. I know a few of you have Graphire2's, so I was wondering if this is commmon, and also how much do new overlay's cost?

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 23/10/03 - 2:31 AM Permalink

no i haven't had that problem with my Graphire I. you should return it. should still be under waranty if it is only a month old.

don't worry though, my overlay has a nice dent scratched into it from using my pen too hard :p.

definitely get in contact with either the store or Wacom themselves though.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 23/10/03 - 5:31 AM Permalink

Never heard of that happening, I'd take it back.

The worst thing about the new Wacoms is the fat pen, its a traversty I tells ya!! My poor little hand...boo hoo.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 23/10/03 - 6:06 AM Permalink

The problem with the pen is only becase you have little girly hands Malus. [:p]

I have never had any problems of that kind with my wacom, Id say you got one with a defect, take it back, they should replace it.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 23/10/03 - 9:20 AM Permalink

Souri, same thing happened to me..

Is there two layers? If so, just peel the contact stuff off.. I did that, and I've had no problems whatsoever..

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 23/10/03 - 6:59 PM Permalink

Pants, my girly hands make for soft touching, you know that. [:P]

Actually all the newer tablets we have here at work have larger fat pens, not the older slimline ones like I have at home.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 24/10/03 - 3:27 AM Permalink

Took off the layer like bob said.. I assume this is what you had to do in the first place. [;)]

Submitted by Happy Camper on Fri, 24/10/03 - 8:42 AM Permalink

Is the contact stuff like the plastic on some mobile phones to protect the screen when they're new.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 24/10/03 - 9:46 AM Permalink

Yup HC, I first thought it was a protective layer of goodness.

But it doesn't really do anything helpful. Peel that bastard off and you're set.

Submitted by Major Clod on Sat, 01/11/03 - 5:26 AM Permalink

I bought the same tablet as you a couple of months ago and have been using it on and off when I have a chance... Nothing like this has happened to me so far though. Take it back and complain :)

Posted by souri on
Forum

I got a Wacom Graphire2 about a month ago, just before they started bringing out Graphire3's. I haven't really used it that much, just a few hours of doodling now and then, but the plastic overlay has developed air bubbles. You know when you use contact to cover your school books? Sometimes you'd get air bubbles, so you'd press and squeaze them, and instead of air bubbles, you have these hard creases? Well, that's what my overlay has now. You can imagine how annoying hard creases can be when trying to draw. I didn't squeaze the air bubbles btw.. that just developed as I drew where the air bubbles were. I keep my graphics tablet in a cool place, out of sunlight etc, so all I can gather is that the overlay was something cheap that wasn't made to last (well, it didn't survive the few times I used it). Not something I'd expect from a company like Wacom. I know a few of you have Graphire2's, so I was wondering if this is commmon, and also how much do new overlay's cost?

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 23/10/03 - 2:31 AM Permalink

no i haven't had that problem with my Graphire I. you should return it. should still be under waranty if it is only a month old.

don't worry though, my overlay has a nice dent scratched into it from using my pen too hard :p.

definitely get in contact with either the store or Wacom themselves though.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 23/10/03 - 5:31 AM Permalink

Never heard of that happening, I'd take it back.

The worst thing about the new Wacoms is the fat pen, its a traversty I tells ya!! My poor little hand...boo hoo.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 23/10/03 - 6:06 AM Permalink

The problem with the pen is only becase you have little girly hands Malus. [:p]

I have never had any problems of that kind with my wacom, Id say you got one with a defect, take it back, they should replace it.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 23/10/03 - 9:20 AM Permalink

Souri, same thing happened to me..

Is there two layers? If so, just peel the contact stuff off.. I did that, and I've had no problems whatsoever..

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 23/10/03 - 6:59 PM Permalink

Pants, my girly hands make for soft touching, you know that. [:P]

Actually all the newer tablets we have here at work have larger fat pens, not the older slimline ones like I have at home.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 24/10/03 - 3:27 AM Permalink

Took off the layer like bob said.. I assume this is what you had to do in the first place. [;)]

Submitted by Happy Camper on Fri, 24/10/03 - 8:42 AM Permalink

Is the contact stuff like the plastic on some mobile phones to protect the screen when they're new.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 24/10/03 - 9:46 AM Permalink

Yup HC, I first thought it was a protective layer of goodness.

But it doesn't really do anything helpful. Peel that bastard off and you're set.

Submitted by Major Clod on Sat, 01/11/03 - 5:26 AM Permalink

I bought the same tablet as you a couple of months ago and have been using it on and off when I have a chance... Nothing like this has happened to me so far though. Take it back and complain :)