Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #1

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on

Yes, this is the Sumea challenge. Model and skin this character by concept artist, Feng Zhu. http://www.artbyfeng.com [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/beatsta.jpg[/img]
Rules - as Inglis mentioned, make it under 3000 polygons..
Make a thread in this section of the forum, with the subject as "Sumea Challenge #1 - (your name)", and post your updates and progress!!!

The best model/skin combo will get the very prestigious "Sumea Challenge #1 WINNER" title. You can't beat that!!!! [:)]

Submitted by beatsta on Wed, 22/01/03 - 3:01 PM Permalink

any1 want to paint the textures for me, if i map it? i will model and skin by ends week, let me know if you wanna come up with textures tho? and if you wanna work on the mapping? , otherwise i will! decide when you see the model eh!

keep on doin, what you been doin!
And one day, you will be free!

Submitted by mochumbo on Wed, 22/01/03 - 7:32 PM Permalink

Great idea, but why don't you also write a small brief for the 2D artists and have them work on a similar comp so that we have some concept art for the next round?

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 22/01/03 - 8:30 PM Permalink

Question, what is the Max size and number of texture maps for this model, there is a polycount mentioned, but no limit mentioned on texture maps.

Pantmonger

Submitted by souri on Thu, 23/01/03 - 8:09 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by mochumbo

Great idea, but why don't you also write a small brief for the 2D artists and have them work on a similar comp so that we have some concept art for the next round?

Yeh, I think the 2D challenge would be more interesting and beneficial if they make up their own character, rather than rescketching Feng's concept.. the winner of which would be used for challenge #2 modelling..

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 23/01/03 - 8:46 AM Permalink

In the update it now reads 1024 unwrap only, does this mean we are not to do the texture for the model, because if thats the case the size of the texture map does not really matter so long as it is square.

Clarification needed, sorry if Im being a pain.
Pantmonger

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Thu, 23/01/03 - 10:59 PM Permalink

HMMMMM I'll give it a shot

"when it comes to angry killing machines, nothing beats the Lord Jesus!"

Submitted by souri on Fri, 24/01/03 - 1:07 AM Permalink

Just to add a little bit more to the challenge, I'm thinking of bugging 5 artistic industry types to vote on the results..

Brad Welch from Pandemic
Steve Stamatiadis (Creative Director, Krome)
Rodney Green (Art and Technical Supervisor Infogrames Studios Asia)
..and two more.. (any suggestions? maybe someone from Irrational)

** oh, Feng Zhu on the voting panel would be nice too. [;)].. hope he answers my email..

I'm sure they can spare us a few minutes of their time to comment on their choices, what they liked and their opinions. It would be a good insight!

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 24/01/03 - 1:49 AM Permalink

Well I for one I'm going to have a go at this. Maybe take in a bit of time because I'm texturing something else, but I will find the time somewhere.

Any way I'm I to understand that the image is not to be model just something from the same species??

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 24/01/03 - 5:51 AM Permalink

Oh I?m going to get into so much trouble for this.

This comp need to be locked down with no further changes real fast, as it stands when I did the model the comment was do not re-create it exactly, which I took to mean, subtle changes please. Now it?s the image is not to be modeled, just the same species, which is a bit of a change, especially considering I have already modeled it.

Also the break down for this comp still states that it is a modeling and texturing comp, but if the map is to be UVW unwrap only its not really a texturing comp.

Changing aspects of the comp post receiving entries is a little weird. How about we stick with the original construct of.

That Picture at the top, with slight variance.
3000 poly limit.
1 x 1024 texture map.

All to be done by one person.

Oh and can we have a finishing date, the quality of a model can differ greatly if you know you have 3 months opposed to a week.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 24/01/03 - 7:10 AM Permalink

Two weeks sounds fine to me, is that 2 from the posting of the comp, or from now?

Pantmonger

Submitted by souri on Fri, 24/01/03 - 9:06 AM Permalink

Oh man... make it 3 months, please.. [;)].. I don't have as much time to put into my model, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who still don't know about the challenge yet who would love to have a go.. no real rush... plenty of time to refine on your model and texture and make it kick ass. [:)]

Submitted by Brain on Fri, 24/01/03 - 10:52 PM Permalink

If it's going to be changed, I'd say make it 3 weeks. This still puts a fair time constraint on the challenge, with people still able to come in late in it and have a whack. As to people who don't know about it, there'll be future challenges, no? @:-)

Chris Bowden
http://brain.gamekey.com/

Posted by souri on

Yes, this is the Sumea challenge. Model and skin this character by concept artist, Feng Zhu. http://www.artbyfeng.com [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/beatsta.jpg[/img]
Rules - as Inglis mentioned, make it under 3000 polygons..
Make a thread in this section of the forum, with the subject as "Sumea Challenge #1 - (your name)", and post your updates and progress!!!

The best model/skin combo will get the very prestigious "Sumea Challenge #1 WINNER" title. You can't beat that!!!! [:)]

Submitted by beatsta on Wed, 22/01/03 - 3:01 PM Permalink

any1 want to paint the textures for me, if i map it? i will model and skin by ends week, let me know if you wanna come up with textures tho? and if you wanna work on the mapping? , otherwise i will! decide when you see the model eh!

keep on doin, what you been doin!
And one day, you will be free!

Submitted by mochumbo on Wed, 22/01/03 - 7:32 PM Permalink

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 22/01/03 - 8:30 PM Permalink

Question, what is the Max size and number of texture maps for this model, there is a polycount mentioned, but no limit mentioned on texture maps.

Pantmonger

Submitted by souri on Thu, 23/01/03 - 8:09 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by mochumbo

Yeh, I think the 2D challenge would be more interesting and beneficial if they make up their own character, rather than rescketching Feng's concept.. the winner of which would be used for challenge #2 modelling..

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 23/01/03 - 8:46 AM Permalink

In the update it now reads 1024 unwrap only, does this mean we are not to do the texture for the model, because if thats the case the size of the texture map does not really matter so long as it is square.

Clarification needed, sorry if Im being a pain.
Pantmonger

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Thu, 23/01/03 - 10:59 PM Permalink

HMMMMM I'll give it a shot

"when it comes to angry killing machines, nothing beats the Lord Jesus!"

Submitted by souri on Fri, 24/01/03 - 1:07 AM Permalink

Just to add a little bit more to the challenge, I'm thinking of bugging 5 artistic industry types to vote on the results..

Brad Welch from Pandemic
Steve Stamatiadis (Creative Director, Krome)
Rodney Green (Art and Technical Supervisor Infogrames Studios Asia)
..and two more.. (any suggestions? maybe someone from Irrational)

** oh, Feng Zhu on the voting panel would be nice too. [;)].. hope he answers my email..

I'm sure they can spare us a few minutes of their time to comment on their choices, what they liked and their opinions. It would be a good insight!

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 24/01/03 - 1:49 AM Permalink

Well I for one I'm going to have a go at this. Maybe take in a bit of time because I'm texturing something else, but I will find the time somewhere.

Any way I'm I to understand that the image is not to be model just something from the same species??

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 24/01/03 - 5:51 AM Permalink

Oh I?m going to get into so much trouble for this.

This comp need to be locked down with no further changes real fast, as it stands when I did the model the comment was do not re-create it exactly, which I took to mean, subtle changes please. Now it?s the image is not to be modeled, just the same species, which is a bit of a change, especially considering I have already modeled it.

Also the break down for this comp still states that it is a modeling and texturing comp, but if the map is to be UVW unwrap only its not really a texturing comp.

Changing aspects of the comp post receiving entries is a little weird. How about we stick with the original construct of.

That Picture at the top, with slight variance.
3000 poly limit.
1 x 1024 texture map.

All to be done by one person.

Oh and can we have a finishing date, the quality of a model can differ greatly if you know you have 3 months opposed to a week.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 24/01/03 - 7:10 AM Permalink

Two weeks sounds fine to me, is that 2 from the posting of the comp, or from now?

Pantmonger

Submitted by souri on Fri, 24/01/03 - 9:06 AM Permalink

Oh man... make it 3 months, please.. [;)].. I don't have as much time to put into my model, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who still don't know about the challenge yet who would love to have a go.. no real rush... plenty of time to refine on your model and texture and make it kick ass. [:)]

Submitted by Brain on Fri, 24/01/03 - 10:52 PM Permalink

If it's going to be changed, I'd say make it 3 weeks. This still puts a fair time constraint on the challenge, with people still able to come in late in it and have a whack. As to people who don't know about it, there'll be future challenges, no? @:-)

Chris Bowden
http://brain.gamekey.com/