Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #3

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on

Sumea Modeller Challenge #3

Theme: Warrior on steed

You have to make it fantasy based - no futuristic stuff (since the last challenge had a futuristic theme, we want to try something different here). Your warrior can be male or female, adult or child etc.
Your steed must be of an imaginery animal/beast. The number of legs it has is up to you (it could have 4 legs on the ground, or on 2 hind legs, or more than 4legs, for example).

Focus is on Creativity and Aesthetics (polygon work, the overall look and detail, believability of creature design and warrior).

Rules

• Polycount Limit: 7,000 triangles (please make sure you state the polygon count with your final submission)
  • Texture: 1 x 1024 x 1024 texture map for the warrior (alpha channel allowed). No procedural textures.
  • Rexture: 1 x 1024 x 1024 texture Map for the steed (alpha channel allowed). No procedural textures.
  • ]

• Concept and model work must be your own . Look at references for inspiration, but don't blatantly copy ;)
  • Photosourcing is allowed

Required:

• Use the Work In Progress Forum to show your progress from start to finish with the following syntax for your thread:
    'Sumea Challenge #3 -3D- 'Yourname'
  • picture of model in multiple angles (example to be shown later)
  • picture of wireframe in multiple angles (same as above)
  • State your name and the polygon count amount in your pictures

Not Required:

• Flat textures don't need to be shown for the final entry, but you can show them in your thread
  • [*]Posing is also not required, but you can pose them if you like

START DATE: 21st of May
FINISH DATE: Sunday, 29th June (Over 5 Weeks Total)

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread. If you think there should be any changes, let me know early on and I will fix it. (Unknown if a prize is certain at this point, will keep you updated)

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 21/05/03 - 10:20 PM Permalink

I'm doing a fantasy desert warrior and his beast of burden steed for my portfolio and they're both 4000 polygons each so I might miss this one out.

Good luck guys, hope to see some good work.

Hope everyone finish's this time, you have 5 weeks for christ sake [:P].

Submitted by azmodai on Wed, 21/05/03 - 11:03 PM Permalink

Should be fun

* turns to his sketchbook to begin the creation process *

Submitted by kingofdaveness on Wed, 21/05/03 - 11:14 PM Permalink

So a quake warrior riding on Paul Steeds back wouldnt count?
[}:)]

Submitted by azmodai on Wed, 21/05/03 - 11:44 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by kingofdaveness

Its every geeks fantasy!
thats got to be in theme, right?

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 22/05/03 - 12:44 AM Permalink

Daz, just give him a tail, that will fit the out line. I would like to see that. Also will you be doing this challenge (if so I'm can't wait to go head-to-head)

Souri, I do have a little problem I would like to do a fantasy/futuristic thing. Is this OK, or is it a No No??

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 22/05/03 - 4:22 AM Permalink

YEY !!!!! FINALLY !!!

cheers souri :)

Submitted by Ionized on Thu, 22/05/03 - 5:35 AM Permalink

Wikked... 5 weeks, good luck everyone!

Submitted by souri on Thu, 22/05/03 - 7:22 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Doord

Souri, I do have a little problem I would like to do a fantasy/futuristic thing. Is this OK, or is it a No No??

I guess fantasy/futuristic like Final Faantasy is fine. Just don't make it too futuristic I guess. I'm hoping to see some awesome fantasy-based stuff tho.. There's tonnes of inspiration out there for fantasy characters (elves, orcs etc) with the most amazing plate armour.. and I hope people get creative with the creature design also... so I'm looking forward to seeing some really cool stuff!

Submitted by Major Clod on Thu, 22/05/03 - 9:15 AM Permalink

Excellent! I'll have to start thinking about designs![:D]

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 22/05/03 - 9:31 AM Permalink

looks up from doing 800 triangle models. 7,000 triangles, hahahahha, hahahha, hahah. might give this one a miss. best of luck everyone. hahhahaha

_edit, hello bellow scott. 'hahhaha' was in reference that i take 2 days to make a 1000 triangle model and a 512x512 texture. extrapalating this, it would take me 15 days (2x1024^2 texture plus model) to make an entry to a competion. that is too much time so i was laughing to myself. pardon the confusion, will take my little storm of cynicism somewhere else now....

Submitted by rezn0r on Thu, 22/05/03 - 10:47 AM Permalink

hahahaha haha hah. I don't get it. [:P]

Scott.

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 22/05/03 - 6:18 PM Permalink

quote:I guess fantasy/futuristic like Final Faantasy is fine.

That's cool that what i was going for, i will try not to go to futuristic, anyway if i do you can just say so and not count my entry (this should happn but.) It is all in good fun anyway.

Thanks

Submitted by adie on Fri, 23/05/03 - 12:21 AM Permalink

wicked my fave subject the cup will soon be mine again ..hehehehhee[:D] if i get time anyway [B)]

Submitted by adie on Fri, 23/05/03 - 12:52 AM Permalink

hey dose the winner still get Grand Prix Challenge???

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 23/05/03 - 9:29 AM Permalink

quote:
If you have any questions, please post them in this thread. If you think there should be any changes, let me know early on and I will fix it. (Unknown if a prize is certain at this point, will keep you updated)

There ya go :P

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 26/05/03 - 7:08 PM Permalink

Just a query - how strict are the rules when it comes to an "imaginary" creature. I'd like to enter the comp with a giant bear as my steed. Does this fit into the rules or should I give him horns?

Submitted by Major Clod on Mon, 26/05/03 - 10:56 PM Permalink

Lol.. for a second there i thought you said giant BEER! Ahh dear too much programming for me, I really need some sleep :P

In regards to your question, I don't see why you can't use a normal bear. I'd consider it quite unusual to see someone riding one, so yeah, its imaginative.

But you better check with Souri just incase.

Ryan

Submitted by souri on Tue, 27/05/03 - 12:33 AM Permalink

Yeh give him horns. [;)]
Part of the judging will be for the creativity of the creature design. So if your beast is of real life animal, then you will have to compensate it with interesting armour or some other feature.

Submitted by ironikart on Tue, 27/05/03 - 2:18 AM Permalink

Lol... giant beer! [:p]

I think instead of the horn I'll go for some interesting armour pieces... I've already done a little work. I'll have to post it when I get home, where I can upload some pics to my webspace (A pity we can't post images here). The bear isn't wholely realistic, I've taken a little artistic license and crossed him with a wolf-like body (minus the tail).

Submitted by Moose on Sat, 31/05/03 - 7:03 PM Permalink

Hi,i'm from Singapore and would like to take part in the challenge.Is this contest open to Australians only?

Submitted by souri on Sat, 14/06/03 - 10:58 PM Permalink

Well, this challenge is open to anyone, really. You should know that there aren't any prizes for winning though, unfortunately (unless any companies want to sponsor it! [;)]). The benefit, I think, for participating in the Sumea challenge is:

A: have more stuff for your portfolio
B: shows how you approach a brief to a future employer
C: get some good comments and advice on your entry
D: winning a Sumea Challenge looks nice in your C.V [:D]

And just a reminder to everyone participating in the challenge that there's just 2 weeks left!!!!

Submitted by souri on Tue, 24/06/03 - 1:49 AM Permalink

Holy crap.... just under a week left!

Submitted by Shaetano on Sun, 29/06/03 - 7:39 AM Permalink

Hope people finish, or its just gonna be Part's vs Ironikart lol ;)

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 29/06/03 - 10:28 AM Permalink

I'm out, over the count like i thought i would be [:)]
Guess I should still post the finished product anyway, for padding lol.

Submitted by Ninja on Sun, 29/06/03 - 9:39 PM Permalink

OMG ITS SUNDAY [:)] !!! I AINT FREAKIN FINISHED YET [:(] 12 oclock deadline right ? hehe [:D]

Posted by souri on

Sumea Modeller Challenge #3

Theme: Warrior on steed

You have to make it fantasy based - no futuristic stuff (since the last challenge had a futuristic theme, we want to try something different here). Your warrior can be male or female, adult or child etc.
Your steed must be of an imaginery animal/beast. The number of legs it has is up to you (it could have 4 legs on the ground, or on 2 hind legs, or more than 4legs, for example).

Focus is on Creativity and Aesthetics (polygon work, the overall look and detail, believability of creature design and warrior).

Rules

• Polycount Limit: 7,000 triangles (please make sure you state the polygon count with your final submission)
  • Texture: 1 x 1024 x 1024 texture map for the warrior (alpha channel allowed). No procedural textures.
  • Rexture: 1 x 1024 x 1024 texture Map for the steed (alpha channel allowed). No procedural textures.
  • ]

• Concept and model work must be your own . Look at references for inspiration, but don't blatantly copy ;)
  • Photosourcing is allowed

Required:

• Use the Work In Progress Forum to show your progress from start to finish with the following syntax for your thread:
    'Sumea Challenge #3 -3D- 'Yourname'
  • picture of model in multiple angles (example to be shown later)
  • picture of wireframe in multiple angles (same as above)
  • State your name and the polygon count amount in your pictures

Not Required:

• Flat textures don't need to be shown for the final entry, but you can show them in your thread
  • [*]Posing is also not required, but you can pose them if you like

START DATE: 21st of May
FINISH DATE: Sunday, 29th June (Over 5 Weeks Total)

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 21/05/03 - 10:20 PM Permalink

I'm doing a fantasy desert warrior and his beast of burden steed for my portfolio and they're both 4000 polygons each so I might miss this one out.

Good luck guys, hope to see some good work.

Hope everyone finish's this time, you have 5 weeks for christ sake [:P].

Submitted by azmodai on Wed, 21/05/03 - 11:03 PM Permalink

Should be fun

* turns to his sketchbook to begin the creation process *

Submitted by kingofdaveness on Wed, 21/05/03 - 11:14 PM Permalink

Submitted by azmodai on Wed, 21/05/03 - 11:44 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by kingofdaveness

Its every geeks fantasy!
thats got to be in theme, right?

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 22/05/03 - 12:44 AM Permalink

Daz, just give him a tail, that will fit the out line. I would like to see that. Also will you be doing this challenge (if so I'm can't wait to go head-to-head)

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 22/05/03 - 4:22 AM Permalink

YEY !!!!! FINALLY !!!

cheers souri :)

Submitted by Ionized on Thu, 22/05/03 - 5:35 AM Permalink

Wikked... 5 weeks, good luck everyone!

Submitted by souri on Thu, 22/05/03 - 7:22 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Doord

I guess fantasy/futuristic like Final Faantasy is fine. Just don't make it too futuristic I guess. I'm hoping to see some awesome fantasy-based stuff tho.. There's tonnes of inspiration out there for fantasy characters (elves, orcs etc) with the most amazing plate armour.. and I hope people get creative with the creature design also... so I'm looking forward to seeing some really cool stuff!

Submitted by Major Clod on Thu, 22/05/03 - 9:15 AM Permalink

Excellent! I'll have to start thinking about designs![:D]

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 22/05/03 - 9:31 AM Permalink

looks up from doing 800 triangle models. 7,000 triangles, hahahahha, hahahha, hahah. might give this one a miss. best of luck everyone. hahhahaha

_edit, hello bellow scott. 'hahhaha' was in reference that i take 2 days to make a 1000 triangle model and a 512x512 texture. extrapalating this, it would take me 15 days (2x1024^2 texture plus model) to make an entry to a competion. that is too much time so i was laughing to myself. pardon the confusion, will take my little storm of cynicism somewhere else now....

Submitted by rezn0r on Thu, 22/05/03 - 10:47 AM Permalink

hahahaha haha hah. I don't get it. [:P]

Scott.

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 22/05/03 - 6:18 PM Permalink

quote:I guess fantasy/futuristic like Final Faantasy is fine.

That's cool that what i was going for, i will try not to go to futuristic, anyway if i do you can just say so and not count my entry (this should happn but.) It is all in good fun anyway.

Thanks

Submitted by adie on Fri, 23/05/03 - 12:21 AM Permalink

wicked my fave subject the cup will soon be mine again ..hehehehhee[:D] if i get time anyway [B)]

Submitted by adie on Fri, 23/05/03 - 12:52 AM Permalink

hey dose the winner still get Grand Prix Challenge???

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 23/05/03 - 9:29 AM Permalink

quote:

There ya go :P

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 26/05/03 - 7:08 PM Permalink

Just a query - how strict are the rules when it comes to an "imaginary" creature. I'd like to enter the comp with a giant bear as my steed. Does this fit into the rules or should I give him horns?

Submitted by Major Clod on Mon, 26/05/03 - 10:56 PM Permalink

Lol.. for a second there i thought you said giant BEER! Ahh dear too much programming for me, I really need some sleep :P

In regards to your question, I don't see why you can't use a normal bear. I'd consider it quite unusual to see someone riding one, so yeah, its imaginative.

But you better check with Souri just incase.

Ryan

Submitted by souri on Tue, 27/05/03 - 12:33 AM Permalink

Yeh give him horns. [;)]
Part of the judging will be for the creativity of the creature design. So if your beast is of real life animal, then you will have to compensate it with interesting armour or some other feature.

Submitted by ironikart on Tue, 27/05/03 - 2:18 AM Permalink

Lol... giant beer! [:p]

I think instead of the horn I'll go for some interesting armour pieces... I've already done a little work. I'll have to post it when I get home, where I can upload some pics to my webspace (A pity we can't post images here). The bear isn't wholely realistic, I've taken a little artistic license and crossed him with a wolf-like body (minus the tail).

Submitted by Moose on Sat, 31/05/03 - 7:03 PM Permalink

Hi,i'm from Singapore and would like to take part in the challenge.Is this contest open to Australians only?

Submitted by souri on Sat, 14/06/03 - 10:58 PM Permalink

Well, this challenge is open to anyone, really. You should know that there aren't any prizes for winning though, unfortunately (unless any companies want to sponsor it! [;)]). The benefit, I think, for participating in the Sumea challenge is:

A: have more stuff for your portfolio
B: shows how you approach a brief to a future employer
C: get some good comments and advice on your entry
D: winning a Sumea Challenge looks nice in your C.V [:D]

And just a reminder to everyone participating in the challenge that there's just 2 weeks left!!!!

Submitted by souri on Tue, 24/06/03 - 1:49 AM Permalink

Holy crap.... just under a week left!

Submitted by Shaetano on Sun, 29/06/03 - 7:39 AM Permalink

Hope people finish, or its just gonna be Part's vs Ironikart lol ;)

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 29/06/03 - 10:28 AM Permalink

I'm out, over the count like i thought i would be [:)]
Guess I should still post the finished product anyway, for padding lol.

Submitted by Ninja on Sun, 29/06/03 - 9:39 PM Permalink

OMG ITS SUNDAY [:)] !!! I AINT FREAKIN FINISHED YET [:(] 12 oclock deadline right ? hehe [:D]