Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #5 -3D- J.I. Styles - Challenger#3

Submitted by J I Styles on

Well, doubt I'll end up finishing, but I thought I'd lazily do some scribbles now and then to see if I wanted to pursue this competition.

[img]http://server6.uploadit.org/files/jistyles-evolve1.jpg[/img]

getting the style down and defining the master on the left hand side - right hand side is just exploration into ideas for the creature. Going for a cat/dog angelic being. It's all very open, loose, and messy (as is the ideas), but I think I'm going where I want to.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 21/02/04 - 6:39 AM Permalink

Yeah!, i was waiting for your entry, you'd better finish it i mean model and texture or else [:(!]

oh and it looks great as always

Submitted by hobonation on Sat, 21/02/04 - 6:42 AM Permalink

awes, I especially like the furby-type pre-evolved form on the right. Lookin very good.[:D]

Submitted by smeg on Sat, 21/02/04 - 8:24 AM Permalink

I like the character design on the left, very cool style (and boots).

Submitted by Jacana on Sat, 21/02/04 - 9:07 AM Permalink

It's me! And my doggie whos my guardian angel!

*big smiles*

Your sneaky Joel.

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 21/02/04 - 9:19 AM Permalink

shhhhhhhh - well hey, at least you didn't know until you saw it this time [;)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 21/02/04 - 10:11 AM Permalink

whatever your source of inspiration, nice work with the trainer, good character design (has a bit of jade from Beyond G+E (the ubi soft title) in her)

The creature doodads look good so far but you can only get so much from small sketches :P

Submitted by J I Styles on Sun, 22/02/04 - 11:42 AM Permalink

Further study into the final evolved form of the creature - I feel I'm getting closer to where I'm heading with this, which is good [:)]

[img]http://server6.uploadit.org/files/jistyles-evolve3.jpg[/img]

Thinking of adding either a bow and ethereal arrows, or a large shield to keep with the guardian nature of the character (He's a protector, not an offensive or aggressive creature).

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 22/02/04 - 7:31 PM Permalink

That looks great, and yeha a shield is probably your best bet seeing as you are going for the guardian image :).

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 22/02/04 - 10:35 PM Permalink

nice final stage, very good transition from the smaller winged dog thingy. I think you should give him a weapon of some sort even if you want to have the sheild aswell, it would look odd just to have a sheild to me. Not nescacarily a big sword or anything, could be a sicle, a whip or whatever takes your fancy :D

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 23/02/04 - 4:51 AM Permalink

Why can't a shield be used as a weapon i can picture some have the fuck beat out of them with a solid metal shield :)

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 04/03/04 - 10:55 AM Permalink

I'm really enjoying getting into this design - I think there's been a bit of creative poisoning over the last year in the online community where everythings a combination of evil/futuristic/demonic/babe - very barren idea wise. Feels good to do a good/angelic/protective character [:)]

[img]http://server6.uploadit.org/files/jistyles-evolve4.jpg[/img]

I'm happy with stages 2 and 3, but I think stage 1 should be a bit more de-evolved - a bit more cute and small and wimpy

Another thing I was playing around with was a halo - the first doggy form had it in its mouth as a frisbee, second hanging onto it, and the third wearing it in the cliche hovering over head style... something to think about anyways [:)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 04/03/04 - 6:43 PM Permalink

That is an awesome idea. i love the transition between each evolution.

Imagine teasing that squirrel cos he's tiny then having him come back as that big arse guardian :) I'd be scared.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 04/03/04 - 10:04 PM Permalink

the 1st and 2nd change only slightly yet from 2nd-3rd well.... :P quite the change
yet in things like digimon their "evolution" takes quite a jump so its cool if thats what your happy with.
By the way i love the wings and the sort of stringy feathers at the end, ties in (excuse the pun) with the ropes around his arms/legs :D

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 05/03/04 - 12:29 AM Permalink

yah, the third stage was always meant to be quite a jump - just to emphasise that it is the final, ultimate stage

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 06/03/04 - 9:06 PM Permalink

just a note, getting into modelling now, planning to revise the first/second evolution a little to make the progression more of logical step.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 06/03/04 - 11:47 PM Permalink

Woah thats nice, REAL nice - i like the puppy, grows into gaurdian angel thing, also the halo idea is really cool.

( is in awe )

Submitted by smeg on Sun, 07/03/04 - 8:01 AM Permalink

awww... those first two are sooo cute.

The jump to the third is just a little too different (as you have commented), but i think it would be a real shame if you revised those first two.

If you extrapolate (or evolve i guess... :D ) the limbs and muscle structure on the second character, you could end up with something seriously sweet. At the moment, the 3rd stage looks a little too human (in form and proportions).

cheers

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 08/03/04 - 4:13 AM Permalink

Woah man , thats nice, i love the semi - droopy ears. well done, i cant wait to see him textured [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 08/03/04 - 5:41 AM Permalink

goly thats good, polished looking render to :)

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 08/03/04 - 5:43 AM Permalink

someones been working hard and it's paying of, good on ya.

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 08/03/04 - 7:52 PM Permalink

Man, that is awesome! My tips on you to win this one. The model is fantastic and I've seen your texturing work before [:D]

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 08/03/04 - 9:34 PM Permalink

thanks everyone for the crits and kind words; every comment gives me that little extra motivation to get it done and finish the comp [:)]

I've been very lax and slow with this, and I don't want to change that, but hopefully I won't have to compromise on quality of entry either.

got the model up to around 95% done and unwrapped, so that further 5% will come out in tweaks and bits of mesh surgery during texturing, so I suppose I can call the modelling finished for now. Should be good to be able to switch between modelling evolution #2 and texturing this one (evolution #3)

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 09/03/04 - 12:13 AM Permalink

Love it. But even tho it follows your concepts very closely - I think the head is too small.

A part of me is wondering whether you've used the 'superhero' proportions of 10 heads which sometimes works. The problem is that the head doesnt match the body properly. The features are masculine yet very fine on the face but the body is quite bulky -- look at the size of the wrist and ankle joints. The disparity really shows in that side on shot.

Still, lots of personality and design in this one! A shame I'm not gonna be able to enter the competition I partly wrote! D'oh! (have had 'real world stuff to deal with).

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 09/03/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

looking in theme there :D
colour scheme is kicking 5 kinds of ass

maybe you could define the lower legs and feet a little better - and give him the defined pelvis common with that physique(only need to add a couple of polies for the last one, the smoothing group can do alot of the work for you).

Anyhow, looking great, it's my fave at the moment, simply because of the funky boxes.

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 12/03/04 - 2:14 AM Permalink

Thinking I'll hopefully get around to posting a texture update tonight if I get a chunk of time in on it. Want to also start modelling stage 2.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 13/03/04 - 12:52 AM Permalink

Come on man, im waiting for some Visual goodness here..... [;)]

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 16/03/04 - 8:00 PM Permalink

Okay, A little slack to actually show it, but I've been modelling and unwrapping the second evo, so I thought I better show this texture WIP. probably 60%ish done, want to put in some more complimenting temperatures and balance the tones out more. Wings and chest are still all sketchy and very dodgey so I want to improve those too. (as well as do the parts I haven't even touched like the feet/hands)

[img]http://server6.uploadit.org/files/jistyles-evo3_texturedwip1.jpg[/img]

edit: the character is full lit, but the scene isn't, just to show his texture a bit clearer instead of hiding it in evil GI or radiosity!

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 16/03/04 - 9:39 PM Permalink

Holy crap, that?s looking awesome! You've really got the skills man.
Superb work.

(Wish I was that good?)

I know your professional, and I was just wondering, how many years have you been modelling for? By that I mean how long did it take you to get this good? (If you say about a year, then I'm just gonna give up!)

(Nice online portfolio, BTW)

Well, doubt I'll end up finishing, but I thought I'd lazily do some scribbles now and then to see if I wanted to pursue this competition.

[img]http://server6.uploadit.org/files/jistyles-evolve1.jpg[/img]

getting the style down and defining the master on the left hand side - right hand side is just exploration into ideas for the creature. Going for a cat/dog angelic being. It's all very open, loose, and messy (as is the ideas), but I think I'm going where I want to.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 21/02/04 - 6:39 AM Permalink

Yeah!, i was waiting for your entry, you'd better finish it i mean model and texture or else [:(!]

oh and it looks great as always

Submitted by hobonation on Sat, 21/02/04 - 6:42 AM Permalink

awes, I especially like the furby-type pre-evolved form on the right. Lookin very good.[:D]

Submitted by smeg on Sat, 21/02/04 - 8:24 AM Permalink

I like the character design on the left, very cool style (and boots).

Submitted by Jacana on Sat, 21/02/04 - 9:07 AM Permalink

It's me! And my doggie whos my guardian angel!

*big smiles*

Your sneaky Joel.

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 21/02/04 - 9:19 AM Permalink

shhhhhhhh - well hey, at least you didn't know until you saw it this time [;)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 21/02/04 - 10:11 AM Permalink

whatever your source of inspiration, nice work with the trainer, good character design (has a bit of jade from Beyond G+E (the ubi soft title) in her)

The creature doodads look good so far but you can only get so much from small sketches :P

Submitted by J I Styles on Sun, 22/02/04 - 11:42 AM Permalink

Further study into the final evolved form of the creature - I feel I'm getting closer to where I'm heading with this, which is good [:)]

[img]http://server6.uploadit.org/files/jistyles-evolve3.jpg[/img]

Thinking of adding either a bow and ethereal arrows, or a large shield to keep with the guardian nature of the character (He's a protector, not an offensive or aggressive creature).

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 22/02/04 - 7:31 PM Permalink

That looks great, and yeha a shield is probably your best bet seeing as you are going for the guardian image :).

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 22/02/04 - 10:35 PM Permalink

nice final stage, very good transition from the smaller winged dog thingy. I think you should give him a weapon of some sort even if you want to have the sheild aswell, it would look odd just to have a sheild to me. Not nescacarily a big sword or anything, could be a sicle, a whip or whatever takes your fancy :D

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 23/02/04 - 4:51 AM Permalink

Why can't a shield be used as a weapon i can picture some have the fuck beat out of them with a solid metal shield :)

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 04/03/04 - 10:55 AM Permalink

I'm really enjoying getting into this design - I think there's been a bit of creative poisoning over the last year in the online community where everythings a combination of evil/futuristic/demonic/babe - very barren idea wise. Feels good to do a good/angelic/protective character [:)]

[img]http://server6.uploadit.org/files/jistyles-evolve4.jpg[/img]

I'm happy with stages 2 and 3, but I think stage 1 should be a bit more de-evolved - a bit more cute and small and wimpy

Another thing I was playing around with was a halo - the first doggy form had it in its mouth as a frisbee, second hanging onto it, and the third wearing it in the cliche hovering over head style... something to think about anyways [:)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 04/03/04 - 6:43 PM Permalink

That is an awesome idea. i love the transition between each evolution.

Imagine teasing that squirrel cos he's tiny then having him come back as that big arse guardian :) I'd be scared.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 04/03/04 - 10:04 PM Permalink

the 1st and 2nd change only slightly yet from 2nd-3rd well.... :P quite the change
yet in things like digimon their "evolution" takes quite a jump so its cool if thats what your happy with.
By the way i love the wings and the sort of stringy feathers at the end, ties in (excuse the pun) with the ropes around his arms/legs :D

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 05/03/04 - 12:29 AM Permalink

yah, the third stage was always meant to be quite a jump - just to emphasise that it is the final, ultimate stage

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 06/03/04 - 9:06 PM Permalink

just a note, getting into modelling now, planning to revise the first/second evolution a little to make the progression more of logical step.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 06/03/04 - 11:47 PM Permalink

Woah thats nice, REAL nice - i like the puppy, grows into gaurdian angel thing, also the halo idea is really cool.

( is in awe )

Submitted by smeg on Sun, 07/03/04 - 8:01 AM Permalink

awww... those first two are sooo cute.

The jump to the third is just a little too different (as you have commented), but i think it would be a real shame if you revised those first two.

If you extrapolate (or evolve i guess... :D ) the limbs and muscle structure on the second character, you could end up with something seriously sweet. At the moment, the 3rd stage looks a little too human (in form and proportions).

cheers

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 08/03/04 - 4:13 AM Permalink

Woah man , thats nice, i love the semi - droopy ears. well done, i cant wait to see him textured [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 08/03/04 - 5:41 AM Permalink

goly thats good, polished looking render to :)

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 08/03/04 - 5:43 AM Permalink

someones been working hard and it's paying of, good on ya.

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 08/03/04 - 7:52 PM Permalink

Man, that is awesome! My tips on you to win this one. The model is fantastic and I've seen your texturing work before [:D]

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 08/03/04 - 9:34 PM Permalink

thanks everyone for the crits and kind words; every comment gives me that little extra motivation to get it done and finish the comp [:)]

I've been very lax and slow with this, and I don't want to change that, but hopefully I won't have to compromise on quality of entry either.

got the model up to around 95% done and unwrapped, so that further 5% will come out in tweaks and bits of mesh surgery during texturing, so I suppose I can call the modelling finished for now. Should be good to be able to switch between modelling evolution #2 and texturing this one (evolution #3)

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 09/03/04 - 12:13 AM Permalink

Love it. But even tho it follows your concepts very closely - I think the head is too small.

A part of me is wondering whether you've used the 'superhero' proportions of 10 heads which sometimes works. The problem is that the head doesnt match the body properly. The features are masculine yet very fine on the face but the body is quite bulky -- look at the size of the wrist and ankle joints. The disparity really shows in that side on shot.

Still, lots of personality and design in this one! A shame I'm not gonna be able to enter the competition I partly wrote! D'oh! (have had 'real world stuff to deal with).

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 09/03/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

looking in theme there :D
colour scheme is kicking 5 kinds of ass

maybe you could define the lower legs and feet a little better - and give him the defined pelvis common with that physique(only need to add a couple of polies for the last one, the smoothing group can do alot of the work for you).

Anyhow, looking great, it's my fave at the moment, simply because of the funky boxes.

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 12/03/04 - 2:14 AM Permalink

Thinking I'll hopefully get around to posting a texture update tonight if I get a chunk of time in on it. Want to also start modelling stage 2.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 13/03/04 - 12:52 AM Permalink

Come on man, im waiting for some Visual goodness here..... [;)]

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 16/03/04 - 8:00 PM Permalink

Okay, A little slack to actually show it, but I've been modelling and unwrapping the second evo, so I thought I better show this texture WIP. probably 60%ish done, want to put in some more complimenting temperatures and balance the tones out more. Wings and chest are still all sketchy and very dodgey so I want to improve those too. (as well as do the parts I haven't even touched like the feet/hands)

[img]http://server6.uploadit.org/files/jistyles-evo3_texturedwip1.jpg[/img]

edit: the character is full lit, but the scene isn't, just to show his texture a bit clearer instead of hiding it in evil GI or radiosity!

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 16/03/04 - 9:39 PM Permalink

Holy crap, that?s looking awesome! You've really got the skills man.
Superb work.

(Wish I was that good?)

I know your professional, and I was just wondering, how many years have you been modelling for? By that I mean how long did it take you to get this good? (If you say about a year, then I'm just gonna give up!)

(Nice online portfolio, BTW)