Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #6 -3D- Wizenedoldman - Challger24

I'm in it for now, just hope I get the time to keep at it. I call this guy 'Old man of the Woods', he lives in the deep darkness of some haunted forest and he's a boss character for the end of the forest segment in the game, which would probably be the first level. That's how I see it anyway.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/wizenedoldman/200471902748_manof…]

I'll probably end up putting some random branches poking out of his back.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 20/07/04 - 4:20 AM Permalink

looks cool, only thing is with a forest character its only too easy to acidently turn him into your RPG adventure style enemy, as apposed to horror. Not saying he is, just like.. beware... or something... ill go now

Submitted by conundrum on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:05 PM Permalink

thats looking a lot better, certainly seems like it would be fun to fight

Submitted by arcane on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:11 PM Permalink

That looks insane! The evil goat's head really sets it off.

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:15 PM Permalink

how big is it compared to a human? i'm just trying to figure out how it attacks. is it huge? i mean does it walk over the top of you and drop its weight (and obviously the blade) down on you? that would be fun to fight indeed.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:41 PM Permalink

It looks like the distance from the ground to it's elbows would be nearly as tall as a person. The weight shifting it from side to side while it er... walks... would make it's whole body swing the giant blade. Slicey fun :)

Heaps cooler than the first one Wizened :D

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 22/07/04 - 12:31 AM Permalink

The second concept looks great Wiz, a note on the blade, if it were to be rotated 90 degrees he would be able to swing on those great arms of his and slice things in a more pendulum type nature + stomp people with those fleshy arms. Just a thought [:D]

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 27/08/04 - 4:01 AM Permalink

looking very nice, nothing to crit really, other than making sure you put some more detail into the face as you have big budget and only have the arms left. hopefully you wil give it some nice flowing muscles into the arms. cant wait to see the rest

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 27/08/04 - 5:48 AM Permalink

looking good, for scowling perhaps just bring the outer edges of the brow up.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 04/09/04 - 4:37 AM Permalink

heh heh he does look better without it. Thats some pretty good work though at the top of the pecs it seems to sort of cave in rather then gradually curve around and out, Other then that: spiffy :D

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 08/09/04 - 2:42 AM Permalink

that looks great wiz, the face has come out really well!!

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sun, 12/09/04 - 3:34 AM Permalink

During the unwrapping phase I found that I hadn't welded the tips of this guys teeth which accounted for around 500 polys, so I went 'sweet!' , welded the tips and started adding more detail, this is what I came up with. He's now around 8400 polys with another model in the render for size reference.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/wizenedoldman/200491133145_demis…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/wizenedoldman/200491133239_demis…]

Also nearly finished unwrapping so it looks like I'm on track to finish.

Submitted by conundrum on Sun, 12/09/04 - 7:38 AM Permalink

its looking really great right now, i think the render of it is superb, the only thing ive noticed (hopefully it shouldn't affect your uv's) is the deffinition in the back and perhaps the join between the body and the blade doesn't have enough detail. other than that its coming along well.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sun, 12/09/04 - 9:11 AM Permalink

Cheers Conundrum, just wondering what you mean by definition in the back? Do you mean not enough polys? I guess without seeing the wire it's hard to tell but there's plenty of polys around there, I did a quick test rig the other night and it seemed fine.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 12/09/04 - 8:57 PM Permalink

i think what he means is that theres not enough detail as apposed to not enough polys, ie its just a smooth surface and needs some bone lumps etc.
could be wrong though :P

Submitted by conundrum on Sun, 12/09/04 - 10:26 PM Permalink

yeah, moonunit got it pretty much right, not so much the amount of polys but their uses to define the muscles. you have done it well in the front and the arms its just the back which does not seem to have as much muscle.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 20/09/04 - 10:06 AM Permalink

You're challenger #24! But you need to put your polycount in the bottom of your textured three-quarter view pic.. can you do that for me in the next half hour please..

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 20/09/04 - 9:26 PM Permalink

great work :) i could really see that guy in a game

I'm in it for now, just hope I get the time to keep at it. I call this guy 'Old man of the Woods', he lives in the deep darkness of some haunted forest and he's a boss character for the end of the forest segment in the game, which would probably be the first level. That's how I see it anyway.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/wizenedoldman/200471902748_manof…]

I'll probably end up putting some random branches poking out of his back.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 20/07/04 - 4:20 AM Permalink

looks cool, only thing is with a forest character its only too easy to acidently turn him into your RPG adventure style enemy, as apposed to horror. Not saying he is, just like.. beware... or something... ill go now

Submitted by conundrum on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:05 PM Permalink

thats looking a lot better, certainly seems like it would be fun to fight

Submitted by arcane on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:11 PM Permalink

That looks insane! The evil goat's head really sets it off.

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:15 PM Permalink

how big is it compared to a human? i'm just trying to figure out how it attacks. is it huge? i mean does it walk over the top of you and drop its weight (and obviously the blade) down on you? that would be fun to fight indeed.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:41 PM Permalink

It looks like the distance from the ground to it's elbows would be nearly as tall as a person. The weight shifting it from side to side while it er... walks... would make it's whole body swing the giant blade. Slicey fun :)

Heaps cooler than the first one Wizened :D

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 22/07/04 - 12:31 AM Permalink

The second concept looks great Wiz, a note on the blade, if it were to be rotated 90 degrees he would be able to swing on those great arms of his and slice things in a more pendulum type nature + stomp people with those fleshy arms. Just a thought [:D]

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 27/08/04 - 4:01 AM Permalink

looking very nice, nothing to crit really, other than making sure you put some more detail into the face as you have big budget and only have the arms left. hopefully you wil give it some nice flowing muscles into the arms. cant wait to see the rest

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 27/08/04 - 5:48 AM Permalink

looking good, for scowling perhaps just bring the outer edges of the brow up.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 04/09/04 - 4:37 AM Permalink

heh heh he does look better without it. Thats some pretty good work though at the top of the pecs it seems to sort of cave in rather then gradually curve around and out, Other then that: spiffy :D

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 08/09/04 - 2:42 AM Permalink

that looks great wiz, the face has come out really well!!

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sun, 12/09/04 - 3:34 AM Permalink

During the unwrapping phase I found that I hadn't welded the tips of this guys teeth which accounted for around 500 polys, so I went 'sweet!' , welded the tips and started adding more detail, this is what I came up with. He's now around 8400 polys with another model in the render for size reference.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/wizenedoldman/200491133145_demis…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/wizenedoldman/200491133239_demis…]

Also nearly finished unwrapping so it looks like I'm on track to finish.

Submitted by conundrum on Sun, 12/09/04 - 7:38 AM Permalink

its looking really great right now, i think the render of it is superb, the only thing ive noticed (hopefully it shouldn't affect your uv's) is the deffinition in the back and perhaps the join between the body and the blade doesn't have enough detail. other than that its coming along well.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sun, 12/09/04 - 9:11 AM Permalink

Cheers Conundrum, just wondering what you mean by definition in the back? Do you mean not enough polys? I guess without seeing the wire it's hard to tell but there's plenty of polys around there, I did a quick test rig the other night and it seemed fine.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 12/09/04 - 8:57 PM Permalink

i think what he means is that theres not enough detail as apposed to not enough polys, ie its just a smooth surface and needs some bone lumps etc.
could be wrong though :P

Submitted by conundrum on Sun, 12/09/04 - 10:26 PM Permalink

yeah, moonunit got it pretty much right, not so much the amount of polys but their uses to define the muscles. you have done it well in the front and the arms its just the back which does not seem to have as much muscle.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 20/09/04 - 10:06 AM Permalink

You're challenger #24! But you need to put your polycount in the bottom of your textured three-quarter view pic.. can you do that for me in the next half hour please..

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 20/09/04 - 9:26 PM Permalink

great work :) i could really see that guy in a game