Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #4 -3D- 'jacobt' - Challenger #2

Submitted by jacobt on

Here's my concept for the demonic darklord. Gone through a couple of interations of the same theme and ended up here.

[IMG]http://www.jacobleetai.com/sumea/darklord_concept.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by jacobt on Sat, 16/08/03 - 3:38 AM Permalink

Here's my work so far on the model, with most of the main features roughed out. I hope to make a start texturing early next week.

edit: updated images below

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 16/08/03 - 9:56 AM Permalink

I have to say I like it alot more modelled, the concept didn't really strike a chord with me.

Might want to do something about the leg/hip joints and elbows, not looking all that deformation friendly at present.

Submitted by jacobt on Tue, 19/08/03 - 4:08 AM Permalink

Thanks Malus, made changes to the geometry around the waist especially and did a couple of biped tests... seemed ok. Probably be better when I paint the weights tho.

Yes my concept was a little rushed, unfortunately to get things to a nice level on paper I need to spend 2-3 days drawing, whereas I can model out my ideas much faster [V]

I have a quick question, does any weapon need to be included on the same poly budget & texture sheet? I am running a bit low but can make do if need be.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 19/08/03 - 4:30 AM Permalink

It is my understanding that with most comps if the character is to have a weapon then it comes out of the budget. This is usualy done so as to remove confusion from things like creatures that have weapons as part of them and stuff like that. (malus can confirm or deny this)

If you are running a bit low on polys you probably could reclaim a few from the vest thing as most of that extrusion could be faked with a texture. I like his head it looks commanding without being insane.

Pantmonger

Submitted by jacobt on Tue, 19/08/03 - 4:48 AM Permalink

Okay that sounds like a good rule [:)]

Thx

Submitted by Ionized on Thu, 21/08/03 - 1:54 AM Permalink

Cool. It kind of has an angelic look to it. His wings would look great of they were burnt and ripped, like he is a fallen angel or something.

The head seems a bit far back, though I cant be sure from this angle. OR maybe its the chin, I think it slopes up a bit too much.

Other than that, it's coming along well.

Submitted by jacobt on Thu, 21/08/03 - 5:33 AM Permalink

Cheers Ionized, I think part of the weirdness around the chin area is that the chest is very puffed out - I'm texturing now so I'll review that afterwards.

Yeah the basic idea behind this guy is that his father was a demonic lord, who enslaved and corrupted an angelic being. So this is how their offspring turned out [;)]

edit: thought I'd put in an update for the texturing so far. The vest, belt and wings haven't been touched, while the some of the fleshy bits are still pretty wip [;)] Using a 1024 texture for now.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 26/08/03 - 6:46 PM Permalink

You've done a nice job on this model.
Those wings almost look real man!
Great handmade textures you've done there.

Some of the mesh construction is a tad messy, especially near the butt and the ridge on his head, but overall nice work. [:)]

Submitted by Idaho on Tue, 26/08/03 - 7:21 PM Permalink

very nice, i would probably add some more detail to the texture around his chest area, maybe just some cloth creases or shadows under his upper chest

Submitted by smeg on Tue, 26/08/03 - 10:00 PM Permalink

Those wings are fantastic.

Submitted by jacobt on Tue, 26/08/03 - 10:53 PM Permalink

Thanks guys, I agree with your crits and will try hard to do better next time [:D]

for the wings: I painted one feather and created a few different variations of it. They were arranged and laid over eachother with a shadow layer under each (heaps of layers!) Then each was dodged and burnt to add a little variation. Small chunks were erased from some feathers and then a few highlights were painted in to show the edges better. Finally a large overlay was added to tie them all together.

I'm thinking of ideas for his mother and father now. I would like to get some practice working on similar styles/themes across a few characters so this is a good oppurtunity to do so :P

Thx

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:46 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by smeg

Indeed. Excellent work there. Nice earthy colour scheme throughout the model too.

Only real crit I have is that he seems to have a bit of a vapid 'stare'.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 27/08/03 - 1:37 AM Permalink

Yes, the wings were excuted very nicely. Best part of the model :)

Overall its very good but I would add a little design or something to the chest cloth, its a little bit plain how it is.
Maybe also add some fleshy bits/gore around the back of his head were the horns come out You could also try bringing them out a bit more (enlarging them) to make them stand out more, I think that would also help make look alot more menacing. His shoulders also seem very large, but that doesnt look that bad.

When I look at the concept, then back at the finished model, I cant help but think they look alot different. The head and wings especially. Granted, you can stray a little from the concept but not to far. Maybe its just me that sees this, but I thought I should let you know.

I would suggest that you should (if you are able to) spend some more time fine tuning it abit more. But as it stands it looks good, but I think there is still some room for improvement :)

Submitted by jacobt on Wed, 27/08/03 - 8:06 PM Permalink

I was going for a subtle and non gore-ish demon here. I really don't think gore and flesh or bigger horns will help the design of this guy. The character evolved during the modelling and texturing process, imo for the better. Also it kind of came down to how good the piccies of bat wings vs eagle wings were down at the library [:p]

I've got some time this arvo,' I might design an emblem to go on his front.

Thx

Submitted by TequilaBomber on Wed, 03/09/03 - 11:12 PM Permalink

Very nice stuff... like the whole fallen angel look to it. If you're not into horns or gore, how about some pagan symbols on his chest?
Just a n00bie suggestion. :)

Submitted by goodgod on Mon, 08/09/03 - 8:40 PM Permalink

Looking good, but then again good isn?t a very powerful word I don?t mean to be mean but your character lacks scary ness.

By the looks of it, you?re a much better modeller then you are a sketch artist.

Don?t get me wrong, I think you?re a very good modeller.

Submitted by jacobt on Mon, 08/09/03 - 9:56 PM Permalink

lol, no worries!

Yes I am working on my trad art, currently doing a concept for a mech/powersuit compo on another forum. Actually, the computer should be turned off [:p]

I'll update this closer to the submission date, with updated textures.

cheers.

Submitted by jacobt on Wed, 24/09/03 - 12:39 AM Permalink

I think it's about time I wrapped this up, so here is my final:

*edit: I've updated the images below to be a bit more forum friendly.

Submitted by davidcoen on Wed, 24/09/03 - 12:44 PM Permalink

man, the individual feather textures kick ass, perhaps you needed some more general shading on the wings to give them some more form however.... bird winds tend to be a bit curved... cool texture though.

DSC

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 24/09/03 - 6:41 PM Permalink

One question why didn't you just texture one wing and use it for both?

Submitted by jacobt on Wed, 24/09/03 - 8:24 PM Permalink

David: might add an extra overlay to give them some more curve, good idea.

Malus: The left wing is the front of the wing, the right is the back of the wing. Admittedly there isn't that much difference however, except some feather order in the larger feathers.

Submitted by jacobt on Mon, 29/09/03 - 4:24 AM Permalink
Submitted by souri on Mon, 29/09/03 - 8:02 AM Permalink

You're Modeller Challenger #2! Thanks for posting the shots with the required specs!...

Posted by jacobt on

Here's my concept for the demonic darklord. Gone through a couple of interations of the same theme and ended up here.

[IMG]http://www.jacobleetai.com/sumea/darklord_concept.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by jacobt on Sat, 16/08/03 - 3:38 AM Permalink

Here's my work so far on the model, with most of the main features roughed out. I hope to make a start texturing early next week.

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 16/08/03 - 9:56 AM Permalink

I have to say I like it alot more modelled, the concept didn't really strike a chord with me.

Might want to do something about the leg/hip joints and elbows, not looking all that deformation friendly at present.

Submitted by jacobt on Tue, 19/08/03 - 4:08 AM Permalink

Thanks Malus, made changes to the geometry around the waist especially and did a couple of biped tests... seemed ok. Probably be better when I paint the weights tho.

Yes my concept was a little rushed, unfortunately to get things to a nice level on paper I need to spend 2-3 days drawing, whereas I can model out my ideas much faster [V]

I have a quick question, does any weapon need to be included on the same poly budget & texture sheet? I am running a bit low but can make do if need be.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 19/08/03 - 4:30 AM Permalink

It is my understanding that with most comps if the character is to have a weapon then it comes out of the budget. This is usualy done so as to remove confusion from things like creatures that have weapons as part of them and stuff like that. (malus can confirm or deny this)

If you are running a bit low on polys you probably could reclaim a few from the vest thing as most of that extrusion could be faked with a texture. I like his head it looks commanding without being insane.

Pantmonger

Submitted by jacobt on Tue, 19/08/03 - 4:48 AM Permalink

Okay that sounds like a good rule [:)]

Thx

Submitted by Ionized on Thu, 21/08/03 - 1:54 AM Permalink

Cool. It kind of has an angelic look to it. His wings would look great of they were burnt and ripped, like he is a fallen angel or something.

The head seems a bit far back, though I cant be sure from this angle. OR maybe its the chin, I think it slopes up a bit too much.

Other than that, it's coming along well.

Submitted by jacobt on Thu, 21/08/03 - 5:33 AM Permalink

Cheers Ionized, I think part of the weirdness around the chin area is that the chest is very puffed out - I'm texturing now so I'll review that afterwards.

Yeah the basic idea behind this guy is that his father was a demonic lord, who enslaved and corrupted an angelic being. So this is how their offspring turned out [;)]

edit: thought I'd put in an update for the texturing so far. The vest, belt and wings haven't been touched, while the some of the fleshy bits are still pretty wip [;)] Using a 1024 texture for now.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 26/08/03 - 6:46 PM Permalink

You've done a nice job on this model.
Those wings almost look real man!
Great handmade textures you've done there.

Some of the mesh construction is a tad messy, especially near the butt and the ridge on his head, but overall nice work. [:)]

Submitted by Idaho on Tue, 26/08/03 - 7:21 PM Permalink

very nice, i would probably add some more detail to the texture around his chest area, maybe just some cloth creases or shadows under his upper chest

Submitted by smeg on Tue, 26/08/03 - 10:00 PM Permalink

Submitted by jacobt on Tue, 26/08/03 - 10:53 PM Permalink

Thanks guys, I agree with your crits and will try hard to do better next time [:D]

for the wings: I painted one feather and created a few different variations of it. They were arranged and laid over eachother with a shadow layer under each (heaps of layers!) Then each was dodged and burnt to add a little variation. Small chunks were erased from some feathers and then a few highlights were painted in to show the edges better. Finally a large overlay was added to tie them all together.

I'm thinking of ideas for his mother and father now. I would like to get some practice working on similar styles/themes across a few characters so this is a good oppurtunity to do so :P

Thx

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:46 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by smeg

Indeed. Excellent work there. Nice earthy colour scheme throughout the model too.

Only real crit I have is that he seems to have a bit of a vapid 'stare'.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 27/08/03 - 1:37 AM Permalink

Yes, the wings were excuted very nicely. Best part of the model :)

Overall its very good but I would add a little design or something to the chest cloth, its a little bit plain how it is.
Maybe also add some fleshy bits/gore around the back of his head were the horns come out You could also try bringing them out a bit more (enlarging them) to make them stand out more, I think that would also help make look alot more menacing. His shoulders also seem very large, but that doesnt look that bad.

When I look at the concept, then back at the finished model, I cant help but think they look alot different. The head and wings especially. Granted, you can stray a little from the concept but not to far. Maybe its just me that sees this, but I thought I should let you know.

I would suggest that you should (if you are able to) spend some more time fine tuning it abit more. But as it stands it looks good, but I think there is still some room for improvement :)

Submitted by jacobt on Wed, 27/08/03 - 8:06 PM Permalink

I was going for a subtle and non gore-ish demon here. I really don't think gore and flesh or bigger horns will help the design of this guy. The character evolved during the modelling and texturing process, imo for the better. Also it kind of came down to how good the piccies of bat wings vs eagle wings were down at the library [:p]

I've got some time this arvo,' I might design an emblem to go on his front.

Thx

Submitted by TequilaBomber on Wed, 03/09/03 - 11:12 PM Permalink

Very nice stuff... like the whole fallen angel look to it. If you're not into horns or gore, how about some pagan symbols on his chest?
Just a n00bie suggestion. :)

Submitted by goodgod on Mon, 08/09/03 - 8:40 PM Permalink

Looking good, but then again good isn?t a very powerful word I don?t mean to be mean but your character lacks scary ness.

By the looks of it, you?re a much better modeller then you are a sketch artist.

Don?t get me wrong, I think you?re a very good modeller.

Submitted by jacobt on Mon, 08/09/03 - 9:56 PM Permalink

lol, no worries!

Yes I am working on my trad art, currently doing a concept for a mech/powersuit compo on another forum. Actually, the computer should be turned off [:p]

I'll update this closer to the submission date, with updated textures.

cheers.

Submitted by jacobt on Wed, 24/09/03 - 12:39 AM Permalink

I think it's about time I wrapped this up, so here is my final:

*edit: I've updated the images below to be a bit more forum friendly.

Submitted by davidcoen on Wed, 24/09/03 - 12:44 PM Permalink

man, the individual feather textures kick ass, perhaps you needed some more general shading on the wings to give them some more form however.... bird winds tend to be a bit curved... cool texture though.

DSC

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 24/09/03 - 6:41 PM Permalink

One question why didn't you just texture one wing and use it for both?

Submitted by jacobt on Wed, 24/09/03 - 8:24 PM Permalink

David: might add an extra overlay to give them some more curve, good idea.

Malus: The left wing is the front of the wing, the right is the back of the wing. Admittedly there isn't that much difference however, except some feather order in the larger feathers.

Submitted by jacobt on Mon, 29/09/03 - 4:24 AM Permalink
Submitted by souri on Mon, 29/09/03 - 8:02 AM Permalink

You're Modeller Challenger #2! Thanks for posting the shots with the required specs!...