Skip to main content

Sumea Modeller Challenge #6 Results!!!

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on

[url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2060"]Sumea Modeller Challenge #6 Details[/url]

[url="http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeachallenge/SumeaMC6.pdf"]Sumea Modeller Challenge #6 entries (PDF)[/url]

A MESSAGE FROM DISCREET:

Congratulations are in order for all the challengers of the Sumea Modeller Challenge #6. You have all accomplished a great level of work, and the standard of entries have been remarkable.

Discreet recognizes the growing talent in the local game development community and is happy to award the winner of the Sumea Modeller Challenge #6 with a copy of 3ds Max 7.

3D Studio Max 7 is the must-have 3D modeling, animation, and rendering solution for demanding artists, schools, and production environments. This landmark release of Discreet's award-winning software raises the bar once again, defining the new state of the art in 3D animation for game development, design visualization, feature film and television visual effects, and education.

It is, therefore, with great pleasure that I announce the recipient of the award to:

Challenger #27, DangerDave, for his model entry called "Shadow".

Congratulations and best wishes,
Peter Moxom
Animation Industry Mananger - Discreet Asia Pacific

THE JUDGES:

Judge #1: TORUS GAMES (comprised of several 3D guys at Torus)

Judge #2: ALISTER LOCKHART ? Tantalus

Judge #3: ROD GREEN - Senior Technical Artist, BioWare Corp
Good work again to everyone involved!
Due to the large number of entries I've given limited feedback - if anyone is genuinely upset by my comments or requires more feedback then give me an email and I'll be happy to help expand on my response.
Rod.

Judge #4: Jason Dalton - Senior Artist, The Creative Assembly

Judge #5: Dale Pugh ? Lead Artist, Sidhe Interactive

Judge #6: Steve Steve Middleton - Art Director, THQ Studio Australia
(for those who didn?t get a comment from Steve, he?s given you a general comment? )
Steve:
- Model for animation with increases in poly detail where creases and flexes are expected.
- Increase texture detail (use every pixel of the resolution you've got, it's precious..).
- Be cohesive. Sometimes fewer visual ideas are better and easier to 'sell' to the viewer.
- Present and pose your work well. Don't use darkness to cover details...

I hope it's useful and good luck to them all. All the work displayed a great amount of effort which is fantastic.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeachallenge/SumeaMC6Results.gif[/img]

Challenger 1 ? PicPok : 11th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 11th
A good model with some nice visceral touches.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 13th
Unique Design, texture could use a little more work - bit too plastic
looking?, UV layout is a little bit wasteful, modelling lacks definition.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 15th
Not sure if the blue and red really work well together on this one, kinda confused as to what the blue ropey bits are?

Challenger 2 ? PK : 17th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 23rd
A good old-fashioned dark lord. Details get lost in the texturing, tidy up the mesh.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 22nd
Overall pretty sound, texture looks a bit washed out, face model/texture
needs some work, texture layout isn't very efficient.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 20th
The mesh is a little bit messy and once again, the textures are very murky and washed out.

Challenger 3 ? Moonunit : 22nd
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 20th
Good low-level game character- need to tidy up that mesh though.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 26th
Unique Design, model seems pretty sound - topography is a little messy, I
think the texture lets down the model - photo sourcing is a good start but
it needs a lot of work to be solid.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 22nd
His legs look rather week compared to his upper body, remember to try and balance out the character.

Challenger 4 ? DanMill : 12th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 17th
Humourous touches work great.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 12th
Again great unique design, modelling is a little messy - more detail should
be given to the head, texture is good but could use more 'detailing', UV
layout is a bit wasteful.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 8th
The arm is cool, the rest is a little boring, could of maybe went into more details on the texture, added more sores and abrasions to spice it up a bit?

Steve Middleton, THQ Studio Australia: Ranked 4th
Another well presented render with a good choice of pose to demonstrate a tricky shaped character. I liked the ideas and severity of this guy. The model would need a little more adjusting and careful redistribution of the poly count to comfortable animate and the texturing, although good, could be made even better.

Challenger 5 ? RannyRoy : 23rd
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 24th
Good concept, more disciplined meshwork needed.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 20th
Looks good, model is a little boxy, texture layout seems a bit
disproportionate (real-estate given to wrong areas)

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 24th
Bwhahahaha, made me and the other guys laugh with the render out the front of macca's :D Not too sure what you were going for here, what is the green stuff supposed to be?

Challenger 6 - Conor O'Kane : 9th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 10th
An esoteric mix of genres, but a beautiful physique and an excellent mesh.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 6th
I'm quite impressed with this model, I like the design and the style, the texture could use a little more detailing (while still keeping the style), modelling is clean and the UV layout is clean. Good Work!

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 9th
I like the wings and the scaly texture on the flesh, maybe could of made her a little more scary with some demon like cat eyes and maybe mess up her hair a bit, looks kinda neat at the moment.

Challenger 7 ? Bubsy : 27th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 27th
Ill-conceived. You won?t get work with this one in your folio. Keep trying.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 25th
Looks good, needs more attention to detail in the texture and model, way too much detail in that little head.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 27th
Again, poly distribution, why does the little head have so many.

Challenger 8 ? Conundrum : 14th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 21th
Great concept, execution lacks finesse.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 15th
Love the design, the texture looks a little muddy, modelling could do with some cleanup.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 7th
Mesh is really nice, I like the idea behind this one alot. Once again, i think it's the texturing that let this one down, too murky and rough. Textures should enhance the look of the model, not detract from it.

Challenger 9 ? GoodGod : 2nd

Torus Games: Ranked 2nd
-excellent uv layout.
-quality texture work.
-Model quite detailed, but the spikes being a separate model placed on the arms surface not ideal for game modelling.
-Concept of model good but seen similar concepts and designs before.

Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 4th
Beautiful textures, a great game character- very professional.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 1st
Great stuff! The design is really cool, others tried a similar design but this one pulls it off. The model, texture and layout is really clean and sharp, I could really see this guy in a game! Only criticism is that maybe the face could get more texture space at the sacrifice for the hair. Other then that this is a top notch model!

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 1st
Outstanding stuff, the lumpy stuff on the arms really is quite repulsive, mission accomplished!

Dale Pugh, Sidhe Interactive: Ranked 2nd
- cool design, fits brief.
- clean topology, reasonably well distributed.
- the same problem here with using far too much geometry to describe the shapes, ie: the tentacles, toes/feet, fingers/hands.
- hair looks great!
- once again, the uv's could be packed much tighter (especially the
clothing uv's), the more of the uv space that is used the more efficient the model will be.
- the uv layout for the hair could've been much more efficient, only one chunk of hair needed to be painted... given each piece looks the same.
- there appears to be a large gold button on the clothing map, if this
is the button shown on the shirt then this is far too large.

Good work.

Steve Middleton, THQ Studio Australia: Ranked 1st
A well presented render with a great sense of realness and proportion that could easily be imagined within a horror-genre game. Excellent textures and uv mapping. With only slight concerns regarding the 'flexible' joint areas that would be necessary for real-time use, this is my number 1.

Challenger 10 ? UniqueSnowFlake : 3rd

Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 3rd
I?m a sucker for an evil clown. Great stuff.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 3rd
Again Great stuff! This one has a great design and modelling, texturing
could do with more detailing and maybe a bit cleaner UV layout.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 6th
Great idea, but i think where this one falls short is the character looks a little stiff.

Cool ideas, fun and inventive. Well executed and posed, perhaps lacking in the correct polys needed to adequately animate, but is still a good design for a surreal horror game.

Challenger 11 ? Gabester : 19th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 16th
Good concept- cuddly but scary. Tidy up the meshes.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 23rd
Novel concept, modelling and texturing could do with some work (a little
shapeless).

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 25th
Mutant toxic panda? Again the textures are too wishy washy....

Challenger 12 ? Airblaster : 6th

Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 2nd
Sick, sick, sick. An extra point for you.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 8th
Cool design - very spooky, texture looks a little washed out and UV layout
could be cleaned up a bit.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 11th
Pretty freaky little character, cool idea.... the textures are a little washed out tho, let's try and keep those colour a bit richer.

Challenger 13 ? Fullmoon - equal 25th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 22nd
A tidy model, but may only be scary to very young children.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 24th
Looks good, needs more work on the model, texture and UV layout.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 21st
It's green! Some more variation and detail would have helped. Should have looked at reference of real world scaley beasts to get some ideas.

Challenger 14 ? Lucas : 20th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 26th
Unconvincing physique and way, way more poly-heavy than it needs.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 17th
Good design, the texture and UV layout could deal with some work, model
seems sound.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 23rd
Keep practising those textures!

Challenger 15 ? IronhideNT : 8th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 6th
High scores on all counts- nice work.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 9th
I really like this one, even though it's a bit simplistic what was
attempted was done well. Texture layout needs to be optimised a lot. Good work try to be a little more adventurous.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 14th
Nice for what it is, textures turned out a little murky tho.

Steve Middleton, THQ Studio Australia: Ranked 7th
A wacky evil fish! Perfectly captures a menacing feel and you wouldn't be surprised to come across it in the right game. What texture there is is great.

Challenger 16 ? Mikamika : 24th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 15th
Twisted and hilarious. Get some help.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 27th
I'm not a huge fan of the design of this one, needs more work on the model, texture and UV layout.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 13th
One word....."weird"..... :p Unique and cool idea tho.... :D

Challenger 17 ? Shath : 15th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 13th
Good physique- a reasonably tidy mesh.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 19th
Nice design, I think the texture lets this one down - more detail needed.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 10th
Cool idea, probably would have turned out better had the artist studied more on the anatomy aspect of things for this creature, especially around the head area and muscle structure.

Challenger 18 ? Delmo : 4th
Torus Games: Ranked 3rd
- good model very detailed like the organic and non symmetrical feel
- some geometry not welded into mesh but rather placed through the main meshes surface, this is not ideal for game modelling. Some of this detail could of been left off or done via texture.
-the texture is generally good but has a slight hand drawn look, think there is room for bit more definition and detail in the map.
-unwrap hard to make out what's going on and very complicated but would of been very hard model and quite an effort to unwrap.

A true nightmare- for animators. Scary- but cull the wiggly bits.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 4th
Again great design, I can tell a lot of love went into this, texture and model are good, UV layout seems pretty efficient, model could be a little cleaner/shapely in places.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 3rd
Nice solid mesh and cool looking character, the texture is a little "busy" and detracts detail away from the mesh, when it should actually be adding to it.

Dale Pugh, Sidhe Interactive: Ranked 3rd
- very appropriate design, nice, dark and scary.
- overall shape very nice if not a little too jumbled/cluttered
- topology pretty tight overall, maybe a little too dense in the
characters face, the texture would've taken care of a lot of that. The
mouth interior appears to be really geo heavy (maybe it's just too dark
to see)
- uv layout is very tight, nicely packed. They to do appear to be very
cluttered though, if this model were to be passed onto a texture artist, I think they'd have a tough time figuring out what's what :)
- texturing is nice and morbid, good colour use. Suits brief well.

Steve Middleton, THQ Studio Australia: Ranked 5th
A complex and impressive character with a number of ideas floating around.

Challenger 19 - Me109 - 5th
Torus Games: Ranked 4th
-favourite concept as it to me looks original and stood out from the majority of other models submitted.
-texture lets this down as it looks hand painted, with more defined and realistic looking textures this could've been my number one pick.
-simple straight forward model with a good set of uvs.
- mirroring seen down the centre is of concern as it's noticeable on the textured model, I think could of been minimized it a little.

Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 5th
An excellent game character, great physique.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 7th
Nice design, texture could do with more work, model is nice and clean, UV layout could be cleaner.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 4th
Good stuff but could have been alot better, the texture really let this one down. Try and stay away from black and maybe tighten up the texture alot more with finer details. From looking at the texture page it looks like it's at the point where you've roughed in the details and should then go in and finish it up.

Steve Middleton, THQ Studio Australia: Ranked 6th
A cool, believable and fitting model let down by a lack of pixel detail in the texture map.

Challenger 20 ? Tojo : 7th
Torus Games: Ranked 5th
-again another hard one to unwrap maybe could of kept the uvs in larger sections a bit more.
-good concept but reminded me of other characters and designs I have seen else where.
-very nice texture work however visible texture seams on arm and main body detract from the overall model.
-the model has some nice detail but could run into some problems when it comes to animation. (slug tail has been unwrapped and textured while modelled into pose, should of been modelled and textured straight).

Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 12th
A scary character- especially for those that might have to rig it..

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 5th
I like this design, the model is nice, the texture could do with a little more work and the layout is a little sparse.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 5th
Good idea and well exectuted, maybe a little too much on the texture overlays but get's the job done.

Steve Middleton, THQ Studio Australia: Ranked 9th
Good model, odd, scary and memorable. Interesting colouring but it'd be nice to see a little more definition of uv mapping and texturing.

Challenger 21 ? Thardswrothe : 13th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 7th
Great concept- an original nightmare.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 10th
Even though I'm not a fan of the design, I think what you've done you've done well, the texture and model could do with a little more work.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 16th
Good idea, relatively good mesh, but like many of the others the textures let this one down, too washed out and murky.... Not sure if this is because u guys are using too much dodge n burn? If it is, try and get ur colours in first, paint in the basics and refine them, only use dodge n burn in the final stages of adding in detail, that way things won't get out of hand and turn out washed out.

Challenger 22 - Golden Chocobo : 18th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 19th
A good mesh, textures need work, a good concept overall

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 18th
Looks good, model is sound but could be more shapely, texture needs detail, UV layout is good.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 17th
Need to hide those texture seams, i can see where u were going with this.... having the woman attached to his chest is cool but u need to make them flow together alot better. Looks like she's just stuck on with glue, maybe some more grotesque detail here, also keep in mind the lighting when painting the textures for both these characters, they have to look lit from the same environment. What i mean is, look at the womans flesh tones, they are really bright and rich where as the monster's are really dull and have a lower saturation.

Challenger 23 ? PauliG : 16th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 8th
Good model, a solid occult genre shocker.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 11th
Nice concept, more work needed overall though, UV a bit wasteful.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 18th
Probably would have been better had the "guts" been a real mix of organs rather than just loose bits of intestine.

Challenger 24 - Wizened Old Man : 21st
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 18th
An odd mish-mash of concepts, but a good model.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 14th
Nice design, 'end' bits integration could use a little more work, texture needs more work.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 19th
I have no idea what those things are he's holding in his hands. Flesh tones could be more varied to look alot more realistic.

Challenger 25 ? Idaho : 10th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 1st
A great-looking model, but with some potential animation issues.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 16th
Good design, overall the model needs work though. UVs are a little 'square'.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 12th
Nice mesh and cool character design, i think the only thing that let this down from being right up there was the texturing. The artist really needed to keep going with this one. Keep adding details and tightening up the texture and it would have been really good. One other thing to note on this one is texture space, notice how the feet have such a large space on the texture sheet as opposed to the head? You need to prioritise what's most important detail wise when laying out your uv mapping.

Steve Middleton, THQ Studio Australia: Ranked 8th
A funky model demonstrating a neat idea. A bit more detail could go into the texturing.

Challenger 26 ? Whitetip : 26th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 25th
Not a bad game character, but the mesh is a mess. Back to the tutorials.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 21st
Average design, model/texture/UVs need work.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 26th
Poly distribution people! Way too many poly's in the face....

Challenger 27 ? DangerDave : 1st!!

Torus Games: Ranked 1st
-nice model with good rez and distribution of polygons from what I can make out hard to see with the model triangulated (however small concern could of put a few more in the tail for better deformation when animating).
-Clean and simple uv layout for a relatively difficult model to unwrap.
-liked the concept which to me was original. The eyes on body and arms however could of been left off or made into spikes. As for me they made the character not as scary and have less impact due to it being more unbelievable and cartoon like.
-texture was effective and clean with a nice amount of detail.

Awesome- a truly professional piece of work.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 2nd
Again this model is fantastic, I think you have a real chance of winning and there was little separating you from entry #9. Good Work!

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 2nd
Really cool design and execution, could have done better had it been a little less cartoony.

Dale Pugh, Sidhe Interactive: Ranked 1st
- nice topology, even triangulation.
- The artist could've used a lot less poly's to describe the shapes he has created even without losing the look.
- good design/concept, maybe a little too cartoony
- maps are a little too bright and saturated, dulling them down would make the creature a lot 'scarier'
- UV mapping very tidy, although given the resolution, the artist could've made the packing a little tighter
-the final image states that a bump map was used but there is no evidence of this map.
Overall I think this is the most solid entry. The artist shows a lot of potential.

Steve Middleton, THQ Studio Australia: Ranked 2nd
A great monster that is perhaps better than the sum of its parts... The modelling is solid but could do with additional work on the muscle shapes around the legs and arms. The texture work is stylised somewhat, but lovingly detailed and when it all comes together, this artist presents a great visual piece that is easy to envision prowling the confines of the genre.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 10/11/04 - 11:55 PM Permalink

Just a note, I'll be doing those sumea award graphics for 1st, 2nd, and third place getters as well. Oh, and you get a Sumea T-shirt as well. I'm not sure if I mentioned that before. [;)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 11/11/04 - 12:20 AM Permalink

congrats to all (with big congrats to DD course :D )
yay! i didnt come last! :P ;)

Submitted by dangerdave on Thu, 11/11/04 - 12:50 AM Permalink

[:0]OMG......... and i mean [:0]OMG...[?]

First off this is a big shock for me...[xx(]

I just want give a BIG THANKS to SOURI(Sumea),DISCREET and HYPERFOCAL DESIGN for giving away such great prizes and organizing this cool challenge.

And of course THANK YOU to the judges for giving me an insight and most importantly the critism i needed. :

**TORUS GAMES(3D artists at Torus)
**ALISTER LOCKHART ? Tantalus
**ROD GREEN - Senior Technical Artist, BioWare Corp
**Jason Dalton - Senior Artist, The Creative Assembly
**Dale Pugh ? Lead Artist, Sidhe Interactive
**Steve Middleton - Art Director, THQ Studio Australia

Also want to thank the forum members of sumea who have helped me along during the challenge.

Cheers.... DD [:D]

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Thu, 11/11/04 - 4:01 AM Permalink

What DD said :)
And congrads to DD as well.. [8D]

Do I get a T-shirt as well Souri?? [:D]

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 11/11/04 - 4:23 AM Permalink

conrats everyone. a lot of great work. i'm looking for the next challenge next year, lets hope we have another great prise so we can see a lot of entries again (cos that's seems to be what brought everyone out, which is a pitty cos i would like to see this many quality entries all the time).

anyway, congrats everyone, specially DD, for obvious reasons (duh)

Submitted by conundrum on Thu, 11/11/04 - 4:25 AM Permalink

congratulations to everyone especially dangerdave, googgod and uniquesnowflake all of you really deserved it.

Submitted by Goldenchocobo on Thu, 11/11/04 - 6:23 AM Permalink

Congratulations to the winners, DangerDave, Goodgod and UniqueSnowflake. Your entries were rock solid.

As for coming 2nd in the last comp and 18th in this one was a bit of a kick in the balls, but i'll live I think. Sigh.........:(

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/11/04 - 11:44 AM Permalink

DangerDave well done champ [:D] and to Goodgod and USF also well done guys - youll have to share dave's confetti though im fresh out! [:P]

GoldenChocobo : LOL! its got to suck - never mind - Bring on the next challenge!

Submitted by souri on Thu, 11/11/04 - 7:48 PM Permalink

Well done guys, and well done to DangerDave! As you can see with the ranking table, DangerDave and GoodGod got nearly all of the 1st and 2nd place choices from all the judges, so it was a really tight one. And goddam, you get 3D Studio Max 7. How awesome is that!!!! [:D] There was a great level of work in this challenge - it says a lot when GoldenChocobo's entry receives some nice comments from the judges and gets 18th place! A LOT of the entries were really good quality stuff, and I had thought that a lot of others were in contention of winning also (like Tojo's etc).

I have to mention that Discreet have been extremely supportive in all of this - it was actually Discreet that proposed a prize to the winner, I didn't have to twist any arms at all. I've noticed that, out of all the major 3d software companies around, Discreet seem to be the most supportive out of the lot, and go out of their way to help and sponsor such things like the Sumea Challenge.

A huge thanks to the judges as well - especially those that wrote out comments for each and every challenger's entry. Hey, you try and write 27 insightful comments and see how long it takes you [:)]. I consider the judges participation a highly invaluable and important part of the Sumea Challenges. These guys are busy people, so I'm very thankful that they helped out!!!.

Submitted by Danmill on Thu, 11/11/04 - 9:46 PM Permalink

Er ... Guys. What's going on with the Dale Pugh judging. From what I can see it would appear that he didn't mark all the entries ("Only ranked 20"). So the unmarked entries get a score of 4! This is very unfair, because it means that some people (my self included) do not get an oppurtunity to score more than 4 from that judge. The only fair way to resolve this situation is to remove all Dale Pughs judging from the competition totals. I've thought about it and you can't give people the equal lowest score because their work was not marked! If my perseption of the situation is correct the Dale Pugh score must all be pronounced void and the totals recalculated or Dale must remark the WHOLE lot again so he can compare ALL the work submitted. (you can't just ask him to remark the ones he missed as this is still unfair.) Dales judging must be removed.

People worked hard on this competition and the prize is worth a lot of money......

Submitted by Delmo on Thu, 11/11/04 - 10:39 PM Permalink

I'd like to say thanks to souri for organizing the comp and the judges for there time for judging. Congrats to DangerDave and GoodGod for there outstanding entries.

Danmill: Dont take the judging too seriously. Your entry beat mine for one of the judges. There were some bad judging but a hell of a lot of good ones and some nice crits too that we can learn from. I think it all balances out in the end.

Submitted by Danmill on Thu, 11/11/04 - 10:47 PM Permalink

Yeah your right Delmo. I don't ... well yes...

Congratulations to the winners as their work was of a very high standard.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 11/11/04 - 11:02 PM Permalink

Sorry, I should have mentioned it earlier.. Unfortunately, Dale only gave his top 20 challengers a rank, which means I had to give the other 7 challengers an equal slice of the remaining points. That's where the 4 came from.

I'll ask Dale to rank the rest, but I don't think we'd see any changes in the order of the top 2 challengers.

Submitted by Danmill on Thu, 11/11/04 - 11:19 PM Permalink

Ok Souri. I don't think that's needed. I was under the impression he didn't even look at those extra entries. So giving 4 sounds fair. Sorry If I got the wrong end of the stick there. Bit of a storm in a tea cup really I suppose. I'm happy with that clarification. Cheers. Dan.[:)]

Submitted by souri on Thu, 11/11/04 - 11:24 PM Permalink

Oh, he did look at all the entries, he just stopped at rank 20. I do think it would be best if he ranked the rest to make it more rounded. I've just send him an email, and I'll let you know of the updated rankings when it's sorted out.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 12/11/04 - 12:17 AM Permalink

Congrats to those who entered and especially those who placed in the top end.

And a big congrats to Dangerdave for the win, I would have voted for you too man, great technically and although the texture was a tad clean and stylised, it really showed you've got the abilty and patience to get alot better.

I'm also glad to see the judges voted for your work mainly on the technical aspects, alot of the others seemed to get kudos based on style and although its important, as a modeller your role would be to keep it in spec, the style is given to you too follow by the designers and this is a modelling comp after all not a design comp. [:)]

Congratualtions to everyone again and thanks alot to the judges and Discreet.

Enjoy Max 7 Dave.

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 12/11/04 - 1:46 AM Permalink

congrads dangerdave ...... good work!!
interesting reading all the judging.... seeing where they agree and dissagree
some really good feedback
really cool to have our work assesed by some industry people...
.. and congrads to souri and all that finished.... awsome contest

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 12/11/04 - 2:30 AM Permalink

Well done Dave and everyone else. There were some really awesome entries and I feel sorry for the judges. Having to place them all :)

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Fri, 12/11/04 - 5:45 AM Permalink

First off congrats to all entrants, job well done. Now I feel like a whinge/rant...

I'm just not sure how I placed 22nd in this comp, I know my texturing skills are poor but is my entry really that bad? I feel disillusioned from this and wonder if this is a fair placement. I honestly felt that my entry was average (I could tell it wasn't a chance at top 10), and so was expecting a placement around the 15 mark so this just feels like a big kick in the pants for me.

Ok, end rant, I guess I should take this as a wake up call to work on my weaknesses and try, try again. :|

Submitted by souri on Fri, 12/11/04 - 7:19 AM Permalink

I've adjusted the rankings with the results from Dale. A few positions changed here and there, but they mostly remained the same...

Submitted by Danmill on Fri, 12/11/04 - 8:00 PM Permalink

Cheers Souri and thanks for going to the trouble of getting those extra placings. Thanks for your hard work in organizing the comp.

For the next comp I think I left $100 on your dining room table ... ... or did I??????[;)]

Submitted by dangerdave on Fri, 12/11/04 - 8:02 PM Permalink

Thank you all [:D]

I just like to congrats GoodGod and all the other entrants. I rekon goodgods model all the way through to texturing is really professional standards, it truly suited the topic of the challenge. Once again totally great stuff. It was great seeing all of the artists work unfold right to the finish.

Malus: Thank you very much [:D]. Im glad that the judges and yourself also recognised the technical specs of the challenge. I know my texture is very clean and very stylised i should have gone for a more natural look... but lots more practice i guess [:)]. I also totally agreed with the judges about the model being cartoony as well.

Thankxxxx DD[:I]

Submitted by Crystalmesh on Sat, 13/11/04 - 2:47 AM Permalink

Yeah congrats to all the contestants..... oh "GoodGod" m8, contact me if u don't have a job yet....

Cheers m8
JD.

Submitted by IronhideNT on Sat, 13/11/04 - 6:42 AM Permalink

Yeah congratulations DangerDave, GoodGod, Unique snow flake and all the other entrants. There were a lot of superb entries and I'm sure it was hard to pick a winner.

And thanks to the judges for your critiques, and of course Souri!

Submitted by goodgod on Sat, 13/11/04 - 7:18 AM Permalink

Congratulations DangerDave, UniqueSnowFlake and everyone else who entered the challenge. A big thanks to: Souri for organising the challenge; all the judges for taking the time to judge; and, of course, Discreet and Hyperfocul Designs for sponsoring the comp. It was extremely fun to be part of, and a great learning experience.

Thanks for the compliments DangerDave, really great to hear that from you. Enjoy your 3ds 7 ;)

Crystalmesh, I?ll be in touch. [:)]

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 13/11/04 - 8:11 PM Permalink

Congrats to everyone, especially DangerDave, thats a mighty fine monster thing [:)].

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 13/11/04 - 9:18 PM Permalink

yeah good work all. its great to see the amount of entries increase the amount it has since the start of these challenges.
congrats to you all.

Submitted by Pauli G on Sat, 13/11/04 - 10:37 PM Permalink

Congratulations to DangerDave and GoodGod. When I saw your work, I knew you both would be tough competition. Truly a deserving win for both of you.
I also wanted to give thanks to all judges, Discreet and Sumea for giving us a chance to compete.

I'm going to go practice for the next comp! [:D]

Submitted by souri on Sat, 13/11/04 - 11:40 PM Permalink

It was suggested for the modeller #6 challenge, but it'll be worth looking into normal mapping for the next challenge.

Posted by souri on

[url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2060"]Sumea Modeller Challenge #6 Details[/url]

[url="http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeachallenge/SumeaMC6.pdf"]Sumea Modeller Challenge #6 entries (PDF)[/url]

A MESSAGE FROM DISCREET:

Congratulations are in order for all the challengers of the Sumea Modeller Challenge #6. You have all accomplished a great level of work, and the standard of entries have been remarkable.

Discreet recognizes the growing talent in the local game development community and is happy to award the winner of the Sumea Modeller Challenge #6 with a copy of 3ds Max 7.

3D Studio Max 7 is the must-have 3D modeling, animation, and rendering solution for demanding artists, schools, and production environments. This landmark release of Discreet's award-winning software raises the bar once again, defining the new state of the art in 3D animation for game development, design visualization, feature film and television visual effects, and education.

It is, therefore, with great pleasure that I announce the recipient of the award to:

Challenger #27, DangerDave, for his model entry called "Shadow".

Congratulations and best wishes,
Peter Moxom
Animation Industry Mananger - Discreet Asia Pacific

THE JUDGES:

Judge #1: TORUS GAMES (comprised of several 3D guys at Torus)

Judge #2: ALISTER LOCKHART ? Tantalus

Judge #3: ROD GREEN - Senior Technical Artist, BioWare Corp
Good work again to everyone involved!
Due to the large number of entries I've given limited feedback - if anyone is genuinely upset by my comments or requires more feedback then give me an email and I'll be happy to help expand on my response.
Rod.

Judge #4: Jason Dalton - Senior Artist, The Creative Assembly

Judge #5: Dale Pugh ? Lead Artist, Sidhe Interactive

Judge #6: Steve Steve Middleton - Art Director, THQ Studio Australia
(for those who didn?t get a comment from Steve, he?s given you a general comment? )
Steve:
- Model for animation with increases in poly detail where creases and flexes are expected.
- Increase texture detail (use every pixel of the resolution you've got, it's precious..).
- Be cohesive. Sometimes fewer visual ideas are better and easier to 'sell' to the viewer.
- Present and pose your work well. Don't use darkness to cover details...

I hope it's useful and good luck to them all. All the work displayed a great amount of effort which is fantastic.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeachallenge/SumeaMC6Results.gif[/img]

Challenger 1 ? PicPok : 11th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 11th
A good model with some nice visceral touches.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 13th
Unique Design, texture could use a little more work - bit too plastic
looking?, UV layout is a little bit wasteful, modelling lacks definition.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 15th
Not sure if the blue and red really work well together on this one, kinda confused as to what the blue ropey bits are?

Challenger 2 ? PK : 17th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 23rd
A good old-fashioned dark lord. Details get lost in the texturing, tidy up the mesh.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 22nd
Overall pretty sound, texture looks a bit washed out, face model/texture
needs some work, texture layout isn't very efficient.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 20th
The mesh is a little bit messy and once again, the textures are very murky and washed out.

Challenger 3 ? Moonunit : 22nd
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 20th
Good low-level game character- need to tidy up that mesh though.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 26th
Unique Design, model seems pretty sound - topography is a little messy, I
think the texture lets down the model - photo sourcing is a good start but
it needs a lot of work to be solid.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 22nd
His legs look rather week compared to his upper body, remember to try and balance out the character.

Challenger 4 ? DanMill : 12th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 17th
Humourous touches work great.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 12th
Again great unique design, modelling is a little messy - more detail should
be given to the head, texture is good but could use more 'detailing', UV
layout is a bit wasteful.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 8th
The arm is cool, the rest is a little boring, could of maybe went into more details on the texture, added more sores and abrasions to spice it up a bit?

Another well presented render with a good choice of pose to demonstrate a tricky shaped character. I liked the ideas and severity of this guy. The model would need a little more adjusting and careful redistribution of the poly count to comfortable animate and the texturing, although good, could be made even better.

Challenger 5 ? RannyRoy : 23rd
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 24th
Good concept, more disciplined meshwork needed.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 20th
Looks good, model is a little boxy, texture layout seems a bit
disproportionate (real-estate given to wrong areas)

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 24th
Bwhahahaha, made me and the other guys laugh with the render out the front of macca's :D Not too sure what you were going for here, what is the green stuff supposed to be?

Challenger 6 - Conor O'Kane : 9th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 10th
An esoteric mix of genres, but a beautiful physique and an excellent mesh.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 6th
I'm quite impressed with this model, I like the design and the style, the texture could use a little more detailing (while still keeping the style), modelling is clean and the UV layout is clean. Good Work!

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 9th
I like the wings and the scaly texture on the flesh, maybe could of made her a little more scary with some demon like cat eyes and maybe mess up her hair a bit, looks kinda neat at the moment.

Challenger 7 ? Bubsy : 27th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 27th
Ill-conceived. You won?t get work with this one in your folio. Keep trying.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 25th
Looks good, needs more attention to detail in the texture and model, way too much detail in that little head.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 27th
Again, poly distribution, why does the little head have so many.

Challenger 8 ? Conundrum : 14th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 21th
Great concept, execution lacks finesse.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 15th
Love the design, the texture looks a little muddy, modelling could do with some cleanup.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 7th
Mesh is really nice, I like the idea behind this one alot. Once again, i think it's the texturing that let this one down, too murky and rough. Textures should enhance the look of the model, not detract from it.

Challenger 9 ? GoodGod : 2nd

Torus Games: Ranked 2nd
-excellent uv layout.
-quality texture work.
-Model quite detailed, but the spikes being a separate model placed on the arms surface not ideal for game modelling.
-Concept of model good but seen similar concepts and designs before.

Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 4th
Beautiful textures, a great game character- very professional.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 1st
Great stuff! The design is really cool, others tried a similar design but this one pulls it off. The model, texture and layout is really clean and sharp, I could really see this guy in a game! Only criticism is that maybe the face could get more texture space at the sacrifice for the hair. Other then that this is a top notch model!

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 1st
Outstanding stuff, the lumpy stuff on the arms really is quite repulsive, mission accomplished!

Dale Pugh, Sidhe Interactive: Ranked 2nd
- cool design, fits brief.
- clean topology, reasonably well distributed.
- the same problem here with using far too much geometry to describe the shapes, ie: the tentacles, toes/feet, fingers/hands.
- hair looks great!
- once again, the uv's could be packed much tighter (especially the
clothing uv's), the more of the uv space that is used the more efficient the model will be.
- the uv layout for the hair could've been much more efficient, only one chunk of hair needed to be painted... given each piece looks the same.
- there appears to be a large gold button on the clothing map, if this
is the button shown on the shirt then this is far too large.

Good work.

Steve Middleton, THQ Studio Australia: Ranked 1st
A well presented render with a great sense of realness and proportion that could easily be imagined within a horror-genre game. Excellent textures and uv mapping. With only slight concerns regarding the 'flexible' joint areas that would be necessary for real-time use, this is my number 1.

Challenger 10 ? UniqueSnowFlake : 3rd

Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 3rd
I?m a sucker for an evil clown. Great stuff.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 3rd
Again Great stuff! This one has a great design and modelling, texturing
could do with more detailing and maybe a bit cleaner UV layout.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 6th
Great idea, but i think where this one falls short is the character looks a little stiff.

Cool ideas, fun and inventive. Well executed and posed, perhaps lacking in the correct polys needed to adequately animate, but is still a good design for a surreal horror game.

Challenger 11 ? Gabester : 19th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 16th
Good concept- cuddly but scary. Tidy up the meshes.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 23rd
Novel concept, modelling and texturing could do with some work (a little
shapeless).

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 25th
Mutant toxic panda? Again the textures are too wishy washy....

Challenger 12 ? Airblaster : 6th

Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 2nd
Sick, sick, sick. An extra point for you.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 8th
Cool design - very spooky, texture looks a little washed out and UV layout
could be cleaned up a bit.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 11th
Pretty freaky little character, cool idea.... the textures are a little washed out tho, let's try and keep those colour a bit richer.

Challenger 13 ? Fullmoon - equal 25th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 22nd
A tidy model, but may only be scary to very young children.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 24th
Looks good, needs more work on the model, texture and UV layout.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 21st
It's green! Some more variation and detail would have helped. Should have looked at reference of real world scaley beasts to get some ideas.

Challenger 14 ? Lucas : 20th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 26th
Unconvincing physique and way, way more poly-heavy than it needs.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 17th
Good design, the texture and UV layout could deal with some work, model
seems sound.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 23rd
Keep practising those textures!

Challenger 15 ? IronhideNT : 8th
High scores on all counts- nice work.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 9th
I really like this one, even though it's a bit simplistic what was
attempted was done well. Texture layout needs to be optimised a lot. Good work try to be a little more adventurous.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 14th
Nice for what it is, textures turned out a little murky tho.

Steve Middleton, THQ Studio Australia: Ranked 7th
A wacky evil fish! Perfectly captures a menacing feel and you wouldn't be surprised to come across it in the right game. What texture there is is great.

Challenger 16 ? Mikamika : 24th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 15th
Twisted and hilarious. Get some help.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 27th
I'm not a huge fan of the design of this one, needs more work on the model, texture and UV layout.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 13th
One word....."weird"..... :p Unique and cool idea tho.... :D

Challenger 17 ? Shath : 15th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 13th
Good physique- a reasonably tidy mesh.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 19th
Nice design, I think the texture lets this one down - more detail needed.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 10th
Cool idea, probably would have turned out better had the artist studied more on the anatomy aspect of things for this creature, especially around the head area and muscle structure.

Challenger 18 ? Delmo : 4th
Torus Games: Ranked 3rd
- good model very detailed like the organic and non symmetrical feel
- some geometry not welded into mesh but rather placed through the main meshes surface, this is not ideal for game modelling. Some of this detail could of been left off or done via texture.
-the texture is generally good but has a slight hand drawn look, think there is room for bit more definition and detail in the map.
-unwrap hard to make out what's going on and very complicated but would of been very hard model and quite an effort to unwrap.

A true nightmare- for animators. Scary- but cull the wiggly bits.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 4th
Again great design, I can tell a lot of love went into this, texture and model are good, UV layout seems pretty efficient, model could be a little cleaner/shapely in places.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 3rd
Nice solid mesh and cool looking character, the texture is a little "busy" and detracts detail away from the mesh, when it should actually be adding to it.

Dale Pugh, Sidhe Interactive: Ranked 3rd
- very appropriate design, nice, dark and scary.
- overall shape very nice if not a little too jumbled/cluttered
- topology pretty tight overall, maybe a little too dense in the
characters face, the texture would've taken care of a lot of that. The
mouth interior appears to be really geo heavy (maybe it's just too dark
to see)
- uv layout is very tight, nicely packed. They to do appear to be very
cluttered though, if this model were to be passed onto a texture artist, I think they'd have a tough time figuring out what's what :)
- texturing is nice and morbid, good colour use. Suits brief well.

Steve Middleton, THQ Studio Australia: Ranked 5th
A complex and impressive character with a number of ideas floating around.

Challenger 19 - Me109 - 5th
Torus Games: Ranked 4th
-favourite concept as it to me looks original and stood out from the majority of other models submitted.
-texture lets this down as it looks hand painted, with more defined and realistic looking textures this could've been my number one pick.
-simple straight forward model with a good set of uvs.
- mirroring seen down the centre is of concern as it's noticeable on the textured model, I think could of been minimized it a little.

Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 5th
An excellent game character, great physique.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 7th
Nice design, texture could do with more work, model is nice and clean, UV layout could be cleaner.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 4th
Good stuff but could have been alot better, the texture really let this one down. Try and stay away from black and maybe tighten up the texture alot more with finer details. From looking at the texture page it looks like it's at the point where you've roughed in the details and should then go in and finish it up.

Steve Middleton, THQ Studio Australia: Ranked 6th
A cool, believable and fitting model let down by a lack of pixel detail in the texture map.

Challenger 20 ? Tojo : 7th
Torus Games: Ranked 5th
-again another hard one to unwrap maybe could of kept the uvs in larger sections a bit more.
-good concept but reminded me of other characters and designs I have seen else where.
-very nice texture work however visible texture seams on arm and main body detract from the overall model.
-the model has some nice detail but could run into some problems when it comes to animation. (slug tail has been unwrapped and textured while modelled into pose, should of been modelled and textured straight).

Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 12th
A scary character- especially for those that might have to rig it..

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 5th
I like this design, the model is nice, the texture could do with a little more work and the layout is a little sparse.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 5th
Good idea and well exectuted, maybe a little too much on the texture overlays but get's the job done.

Steve Middleton, THQ Studio Australia: Ranked 9th
Good model, odd, scary and memorable. Interesting colouring but it'd be nice to see a little more definition of uv mapping and texturing.

Challenger 21 ? Thardswrothe : 13th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 7th
Great concept- an original nightmare.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 10th
Even though I'm not a fan of the design, I think what you've done you've done well, the texture and model could do with a little more work.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 16th
Good idea, relatively good mesh, but like many of the others the textures let this one down, too washed out and murky.... Not sure if this is because u guys are using too much dodge n burn? If it is, try and get ur colours in first, paint in the basics and refine them, only use dodge n burn in the final stages of adding in detail, that way things won't get out of hand and turn out washed out.

Challenger 22 - Golden Chocobo : 18th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 19th
A good mesh, textures need work, a good concept overall

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 18th
Looks good, model is sound but could be more shapely, texture needs detail, UV layout is good.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 17th
Need to hide those texture seams, i can see where u were going with this.... having the woman attached to his chest is cool but u need to make them flow together alot better. Looks like she's just stuck on with glue, maybe some more grotesque detail here, also keep in mind the lighting when painting the textures for both these characters, they have to look lit from the same environment. What i mean is, look at the womans flesh tones, they are really bright and rich where as the monster's are really dull and have a lower saturation.

Challenger 23 ? PauliG : 16th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 8th
Good model, a solid occult genre shocker.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 11th
Nice concept, more work needed overall though, UV a bit wasteful.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 18th
Probably would have been better had the "guts" been a real mix of organs rather than just loose bits of intestine.

Challenger 24 - Wizened Old Man : 21st
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 18th
An odd mish-mash of concepts, but a good model.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 14th
Nice design, 'end' bits integration could use a little more work, texture needs more work.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 19th
I have no idea what those things are he's holding in his hands. Flesh tones could be more varied to look alot more realistic.

Challenger 25 ? Idaho : 10th
A great-looking model, but with some potential animation issues.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 16th
Good design, overall the model needs work though. UVs are a little 'square'.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 12th
Nice mesh and cool character design, i think the only thing that let this down from being right up there was the texturing. The artist really needed to keep going with this one. Keep adding details and tightening up the texture and it would have been really good. One other thing to note on this one is texture space, notice how the feet have such a large space on the texture sheet as opposed to the head? You need to prioritise what's most important detail wise when laying out your uv mapping.

Steve Middleton, THQ Studio Australia: Ranked 8th
A funky model demonstrating a neat idea. A bit more detail could go into the texturing.

Challenger 26 ? Whitetip : 26th
Alister Lockhart, Tantalus: Ranked 25th
Not a bad game character, but the mesh is a mess. Back to the tutorials.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 21st
Average design, model/texture/UVs need work.

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 26th
Poly distribution people! Way too many poly's in the face....

Challenger 27 ? DangerDave : 1st!!

Torus Games: Ranked 1st
-nice model with good rez and distribution of polygons from what I can make out hard to see with the model triangulated (however small concern could of put a few more in the tail for better deformation when animating).
-Clean and simple uv layout for a relatively difficult model to unwrap.
-liked the concept which to me was original. The eyes on body and arms however could of been left off or made into spikes. As for me they made the character not as scary and have less impact due to it being more unbelievable and cartoon like.
-texture was effective and clean with a nice amount of detail.

Awesome- a truly professional piece of work.

Rod Green, Bioware Corp: Ranked 2nd
Again this model is fantastic, I think you have a real chance of winning and there was little separating you from entry #9. Good Work!

Jason Dalton, Creative Assembly: Ranked 2nd
Really cool design and execution, could have done better had it been a little less cartoony.

Dale Pugh, Sidhe Interactive: Ranked 1st
- nice topology, even triangulation.
- The artist could've used a lot less poly's to describe the shapes he has created even without losing the look.
- good design/concept, maybe a little too cartoony
- maps are a little too bright and saturated, dulling them down would make the creature a lot 'scarier'
- UV mapping very tidy, although given the resolution, the artist could've made the packing a little tighter
-the final image states that a bump map was used but there is no evidence of this map.
Overall I think this is the most solid entry. The artist shows a lot of potential.

Steve Middleton, THQ Studio Australia: Ranked 2nd
A great monster that is perhaps better than the sum of its parts... The modelling is solid but could do with additional work on the muscle shapes around the legs and arms. The texture work is stylised somewhat, but lovingly detailed and when it all comes together, this artist presents a great visual piece that is easy to envision prowling the confines of the genre.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 10/11/04 - 11:55 PM Permalink

Just a note, I'll be doing those sumea award graphics for 1st, 2nd, and third place getters as well. Oh, and you get a Sumea T-shirt as well. I'm not sure if I mentioned that before. [;)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 11/11/04 - 12:20 AM Permalink

congrats to all (with big congrats to DD course :D )
yay! i didnt come last! :P ;)

Submitted by dangerdave on Thu, 11/11/04 - 12:50 AM Permalink

[:0]OMG......... and i mean [:0]OMG...[?]

First off this is a big shock for me...[xx(]

I just want give a BIG THANKS to SOURI(Sumea),DISCREET and HYPERFOCAL DESIGN for giving away such great prizes and organizing this cool challenge.

And of course THANK YOU to the judges for giving me an insight and most importantly the critism i needed. :

**TORUS GAMES(3D artists at Torus)
**ALISTER LOCKHART ? Tantalus
**ROD GREEN - Senior Technical Artist, BioWare Corp
**Jason Dalton - Senior Artist, The Creative Assembly
**Dale Pugh ? Lead Artist, Sidhe Interactive
**Steve Middleton - Art Director, THQ Studio Australia

Also want to thank the forum members of sumea who have helped me along during the challenge.

Cheers.... DD [:D]

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Thu, 11/11/04 - 4:01 AM Permalink

What DD said :)
And congrads to DD as well.. [8D]

Do I get a T-shirt as well Souri?? [:D]

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 11/11/04 - 4:23 AM Permalink

conrats everyone. a lot of great work. i'm looking for the next challenge next year, lets hope we have another great prise so we can see a lot of entries again (cos that's seems to be what brought everyone out, which is a pitty cos i would like to see this many quality entries all the time).

anyway, congrats everyone, specially DD, for obvious reasons (duh)

Submitted by conundrum on Thu, 11/11/04 - 4:25 AM Permalink

congratulations to everyone especially dangerdave, googgod and uniquesnowflake all of you really deserved it.

Submitted by Goldenchocobo on Thu, 11/11/04 - 6:23 AM Permalink

Congratulations to the winners, DangerDave, Goodgod and UniqueSnowflake. Your entries were rock solid.

As for coming 2nd in the last comp and 18th in this one was a bit of a kick in the balls, but i'll live I think. Sigh.........:(

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/11/04 - 11:44 AM Permalink

DangerDave well done champ [:D] and to Goodgod and USF also well done guys - youll have to share dave's confetti though im fresh out! [:P]

GoldenChocobo : LOL! its got to suck - never mind - Bring on the next challenge!

Submitted by souri on Thu, 11/11/04 - 7:48 PM Permalink

Well done guys, and well done to DangerDave! As you can see with the ranking table, DangerDave and GoodGod got nearly all of the 1st and 2nd place choices from all the judges, so it was a really tight one. And goddam, you get 3D Studio Max 7. How awesome is that!!!! [:D] There was a great level of work in this challenge - it says a lot when GoldenChocobo's entry receives some nice comments from the judges and gets 18th place! A LOT of the entries were really good quality stuff, and I had thought that a lot of others were in contention of winning also (like Tojo's etc).

I have to mention that Discreet have been extremely supportive in all of this - it was actually Discreet that proposed a prize to the winner, I didn't have to twist any arms at all. I've noticed that, out of all the major 3d software companies around, Discreet seem to be the most supportive out of the lot, and go out of their way to help and sponsor such things like the Sumea Challenge.

A huge thanks to the judges as well - especially those that wrote out comments for each and every challenger's entry. Hey, you try and write 27 insightful comments and see how long it takes you [:)]. I consider the judges participation a highly invaluable and important part of the Sumea Challenges. These guys are busy people, so I'm very thankful that they helped out!!!.

Submitted by Danmill on Thu, 11/11/04 - 9:46 PM Permalink

Er ... Guys. What's going on with the Dale Pugh judging. From what I can see it would appear that he didn't mark all the entries ("Only ranked 20"). So the unmarked entries get a score of 4! This is very unfair, because it means that some people (my self included) do not get an oppurtunity to score more than 4 from that judge. The only fair way to resolve this situation is to remove all Dale Pughs judging from the competition totals. I've thought about it and you can't give people the equal lowest score because their work was not marked! If my perseption of the situation is correct the Dale Pugh score must all be pronounced void and the totals recalculated or Dale must remark the WHOLE lot again so he can compare ALL the work submitted. (you can't just ask him to remark the ones he missed as this is still unfair.) Dales judging must be removed.

People worked hard on this competition and the prize is worth a lot of money......

Submitted by Delmo on Thu, 11/11/04 - 10:39 PM Permalink

I'd like to say thanks to souri for organizing the comp and the judges for there time for judging. Congrats to DangerDave and GoodGod for there outstanding entries.

Danmill: Dont take the judging too seriously. Your entry beat mine for one of the judges. There were some bad judging but a hell of a lot of good ones and some nice crits too that we can learn from. I think it all balances out in the end.

Submitted by Danmill on Thu, 11/11/04 - 10:47 PM Permalink

Yeah your right Delmo. I don't ... well yes...

Congratulations to the winners as their work was of a very high standard.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 11/11/04 - 11:02 PM Permalink

Sorry, I should have mentioned it earlier.. Unfortunately, Dale only gave his top 20 challengers a rank, which means I had to give the other 7 challengers an equal slice of the remaining points. That's where the 4 came from.

I'll ask Dale to rank the rest, but I don't think we'd see any changes in the order of the top 2 challengers.

Submitted by Danmill on Thu, 11/11/04 - 11:19 PM Permalink

Ok Souri. I don't think that's needed. I was under the impression he didn't even look at those extra entries. So giving 4 sounds fair. Sorry If I got the wrong end of the stick there. Bit of a storm in a tea cup really I suppose. I'm happy with that clarification. Cheers. Dan.[:)]

Submitted by souri on Thu, 11/11/04 - 11:24 PM Permalink

Oh, he did look at all the entries, he just stopped at rank 20. I do think it would be best if he ranked the rest to make it more rounded. I've just send him an email, and I'll let you know of the updated rankings when it's sorted out.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 12/11/04 - 12:17 AM Permalink

Congrats to those who entered and especially those who placed in the top end.

And a big congrats to Dangerdave for the win, I would have voted for you too man, great technically and although the texture was a tad clean and stylised, it really showed you've got the abilty and patience to get alot better.

I'm also glad to see the judges voted for your work mainly on the technical aspects, alot of the others seemed to get kudos based on style and although its important, as a modeller your role would be to keep it in spec, the style is given to you too follow by the designers and this is a modelling comp after all not a design comp. [:)]

Congratualtions to everyone again and thanks alot to the judges and Discreet.

Enjoy Max 7 Dave.

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 12/11/04 - 1:46 AM Permalink

congrads dangerdave ...... good work!!
interesting reading all the judging.... seeing where they agree and dissagree
some really good feedback
really cool to have our work assesed by some industry people...
.. and congrads to souri and all that finished.... awsome contest

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 12/11/04 - 2:30 AM Permalink

Well done Dave and everyone else. There were some really awesome entries and I feel sorry for the judges. Having to place them all :)

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Fri, 12/11/04 - 5:45 AM Permalink

First off congrats to all entrants, job well done. Now I feel like a whinge/rant...

I'm just not sure how I placed 22nd in this comp, I know my texturing skills are poor but is my entry really that bad? I feel disillusioned from this and wonder if this is a fair placement. I honestly felt that my entry was average (I could tell it wasn't a chance at top 10), and so was expecting a placement around the 15 mark so this just feels like a big kick in the pants for me.

Ok, end rant, I guess I should take this as a wake up call to work on my weaknesses and try, try again. :|

Submitted by souri on Fri, 12/11/04 - 7:19 AM Permalink

I've adjusted the rankings with the results from Dale. A few positions changed here and there, but they mostly remained the same...

Submitted by Danmill on Fri, 12/11/04 - 8:00 PM Permalink

Cheers Souri and thanks for going to the trouble of getting those extra placings. Thanks for your hard work in organizing the comp.

For the next comp I think I left $100 on your dining room table ... ... or did I??????[;)]

Submitted by dangerdave on Fri, 12/11/04 - 8:02 PM Permalink

Thank you all [:D]

I just like to congrats GoodGod and all the other entrants. I rekon goodgods model all the way through to texturing is really professional standards, it truly suited the topic of the challenge. Once again totally great stuff. It was great seeing all of the artists work unfold right to the finish.

Malus: Thank you very much [:D]. Im glad that the judges and yourself also recognised the technical specs of the challenge. I know my texture is very clean and very stylised i should have gone for a more natural look... but lots more practice i guess [:)]. I also totally agreed with the judges about the model being cartoony as well.

Thankxxxx DD[:I]

Submitted by Crystalmesh on Sat, 13/11/04 - 2:47 AM Permalink

Yeah congrats to all the contestants..... oh "GoodGod" m8, contact me if u don't have a job yet....

Cheers m8
JD.

Submitted by IronhideNT on Sat, 13/11/04 - 6:42 AM Permalink

Yeah congratulations DangerDave, GoodGod, Unique snow flake and all the other entrants. There were a lot of superb entries and I'm sure it was hard to pick a winner.

And thanks to the judges for your critiques, and of course Souri!

Submitted by goodgod on Sat, 13/11/04 - 7:18 AM Permalink

Congratulations DangerDave, UniqueSnowFlake and everyone else who entered the challenge. A big thanks to: Souri for organising the challenge; all the judges for taking the time to judge; and, of course, Discreet and Hyperfocul Designs for sponsoring the comp. It was extremely fun to be part of, and a great learning experience.

Thanks for the compliments DangerDave, really great to hear that from you. Enjoy your 3ds 7 ;)

Crystalmesh, I?ll be in touch. [:)]

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 13/11/04 - 8:11 PM Permalink

Congrats to everyone, especially DangerDave, thats a mighty fine monster thing [:)].

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 13/11/04 - 9:18 PM Permalink

yeah good work all. its great to see the amount of entries increase the amount it has since the start of these challenges.
congrats to you all.

Submitted by Pauli G on Sat, 13/11/04 - 10:37 PM Permalink

Congratulations to DangerDave and GoodGod. When I saw your work, I knew you both would be tough competition. Truly a deserving win for both of you.
I also wanted to give thanks to all judges, Discreet and Sumea for giving us a chance to compete.

I'm going to go practice for the next comp! [:D]

Submitted by souri on Sat, 13/11/04 - 11:40 PM Permalink

It was suggested for the modeller #6 challenge, but it'll be worth looking into normal mapping for the next challenge.