Skip to main content

Sumea modeller challenge #4 suggestions

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on

What would you like the next challenge to be? I'm hoping to get it started in a month, with probably 2 months of time for everyone. I might have some good news about this next challenge, but I will tell you later on..

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 09/07/03 - 11:49 PM Permalink

I still think the winner should choose.
I trust the winner not to cheat by choosing a topic hes already modelled.
Its beneficial if it challenges them too so I can't see it being a problem.

Or the top 3 put forward a choice each and Souri dips into the hat.

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 10/07/03 - 12:36 AM Permalink

sounds good to me, but i'm not going for this one. Unless it is something really very cool.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 10/07/03 - 12:43 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

What would you like the next challenge to be? I'm hoping to get it started in a month, with probably 2 months of time for everyone. I might have some good news about this next challenge, but I will tell you later on..

Just to get the ball rolling....

1. 'Rivals' - design a main hero and their nemesis. Give backstory. There should be some cohesion between the two.

2. Fighting game character - can be for a weapons based or melee fighter. Any time period allowed or make your own.

3. Sprite challenge - Just kiddin'. On second thought, it might be cool to see the 2d artists. 24 colours, hi-res like Guilty Gear XX.

4. RPG 'team' - design an RPG team of up to 5 characters, cannabilisation allowed...

5. RTS units- design a series of units for an RTS. Low poly and texture count.

6. 'Climatic Battle' - design a final boss battle for a game, include background. Points of note - pay attention to lighting, posing, overall cohesion, fx's etc... a nice challenge that would force modellers to learn a bit beyond modelling and texturing. Doesn't have to be one on one, it can be a small team vs a boss.

7. Mascot - I think this might have been done at CGTalk? But a mascot character would be cool. Try and include surroundings that reflect the tone of the game.

I thought of those off the top of my head but they should prompt others ideas.

Submitted by Brain on Thu, 10/07/03 - 12:59 AM Permalink

Level design and/or techinical thingies like vehicles. This was suggested last time, but I'm still interested. (I also said I'd participate in the last challenge. *slaps hand* Bad Brain! Bad!!)

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 10/07/03 - 1:01 AM Permalink

In this case if the winner should choose i prefer to have all 4 or 3 people that finished the competition to have a vote for the next challenge. Since theres not much of us that is [:D] ( could include malus too since he finished his model [:D])

i love those ideas jonathon !!! [:D]

especially these 3:

The rivals, climatic battle and a RPG team [:D]

Guys wat u think of one of these topics ?

btw wat is RTS ? [:P]

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 10/07/03 - 9:14 PM Permalink

quote:

RTS = Real Time Strategy. ie - units for a Command and Conquer type universe or perhaps for a Starcraft type universe.

I thought those ideas pretty much up on the spot, but I'm also favouring 'The Rivals', 'The Climatic Battle' and the 'RPG team'. If I had to chose one, I'd do climatic battle - there's so much scope here. Perhaps say, a polycount of 15000 and you can use it anyway you want - ie the environments may need more detail than the characters for your entry. Or, you might want to have two characters going up against the final boss. I dunno, but seeing as the next challenge has about 2 months set aside for it, we should really go to town.

Also, I should have my new computer by then, so I shall be able to enter! Huzzah and Hurrah!

And Souri, any news on what this 'good news' might be? I'm guessing it might be something related to Krome Studios seeing as you have gotten sponsorship from them recently.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 10/07/03 - 11:15 PM Permalink

I wouldn't go too hardcore on the amount of models/environment etc, Alhough I'd personally love to do something like rivals.

I think the extended timeframe has happened mainly due to the fact no one is actually finishing smaller comps, if we make the comps larger the problem still exists.

This is probalby overkill but maybe we could have 2 comps, a larger one and a smaller one, same time limit but different specs and judged seperately.

Might stop the "I have no time" whinge ...er..comment. [:P]

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 11/07/03 - 12:04 AM Permalink

I think what would probably stop the 'I don't have time' comments would be to allow cannabilisation of your own models. That way, if people are creating something at their animation schools (or whatever), then they can use it. Also, it's standard industry practice to cannabilise, isn't it? It'd certainly allow more people to finish their work - if you've got to choose between devoting time to study and devoting time to personal projects, it's more prudent to go with the schoolwork. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone, I say.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 11/07/03 - 12:48 AM Permalink

If your going to cannabalise then fine, same with photosourcing.
I just think you should express that you have done so for voting purposes.

Even though they are both valuable and widely used in the industry, I feel a competition is a representation of your raw ability, not wether or not you are cabale of putting things together, as such everyone should be aware if those valid industry process's where used in the comp.

Its not a big deal to say you did that anyway so I can't see anyone having a problem with it.
On a personal note for voting, I'd vote higher for someone who went the extra effort and did it from scratch, but thats just me.

BTW: I'm aware with cannabalism you would have had to modelled the meshes at some stage, the thing is does it represent your ability at this time, theres no knowing how long it took you for the original structures, therefore hard to judge ability effectively. [:)]

Submitted by Pointy on Fri, 11/07/03 - 1:40 AM Permalink

that would seem like a good idea to the problem, except some people will have a bigger libaries of models they can source from then others. Some people may not have any.
And as Malus pointed out, it would be unfair if one person were to work hard from scratch, and then i.. er someone else, were to submit somthing they had been working on for 3 times the amount of time.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 11/07/03 - 4:02 AM Permalink

Also I thought one of the main things these comps where about was the improvment in skills of the participants. Re use of models (or bits of) means less improvment.

Although it would be funny if everyone gave a model over to the comp and you had to use parts from the comp model pool to make a Frankenstein esk abomination. :P

As for my input, Im easy. I'll model anything, but maybe something specifically cute this time?

Pantmonger

Submitted by souri on Fri, 11/07/03 - 9:43 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by JonathanKerr

[quote]And Souri, any news on what this 'good news' might be? I'm guessing it might be something related to Krome Studios seeing as you have gotten sponsorship from them recently.

Can't really say anything until it is finalised.. not sure if it will come through yet.

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 11/07/03 - 7:09 PM Permalink

I like the idea that have come up of far. I would like to add

*Making a character for a game or series of games (like FF, halo, quake, unreal, Mario, the list goes on). This would push every one into going though the steps which someone in the industry would. And this kind of stuff get huge brownly point with and employers, because they don't want to see your style of art, they want to know if you can do there's.

Submitted by Pointy on Fri, 11/07/03 - 10:18 PM Permalink

how about this -
Yourself as a D&D character. Any style of your choosing so as long as people easily recognise it as yourself.

If you dont know what kind of character you might be check this site out.
http://neppyman.irulethe.net/dndwho/

I say any style, because i find it more enjoyable to work on my own stuff, in my own style. If you like to march to another beat, then theres nothing wrong with that.

I say "To hell with employers! Im about me, and my dishes.. er art" Now if you will excuse me im late for a poetry reading, and have misplaced my beret.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 11/07/03 - 11:27 PM Permalink

That was a very cool link. Quite a lot of fun to be had there.

I agree, I'd like to use my own style as Malus mentioned (in the argument against cannabilism) that we're doing these challenges to further our own skills and styles.

I'm a little loathe to do a D&D theme tho, D&D is everywhere and done to death. IMO, it's probably one of the most generic themes there is. But if there ever was a challenge, it would be to do a D&D theme without it being hackneyed. Still, the idea of interpreting yourself as a D&D character is quite good. According to the survey, I'm a Chaotic Good Elf Ranger Mage.

Submitted by Pointy on Sat, 12/07/03 - 1:41 AM Permalink

if there ever was a challenge, it would be to do a D&D theme without it being hackneyed.

Hehe. I may take up that challenge on my own accord

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sat, 12/07/03 - 10:29 PM Permalink

quote:

Good luck! The funny thing about the fantasy genre (or D&D) in both games and books is that you almost have to adhere to the genres 'rules'. Look forward to it.

Submitted by ironikart on Sun, 13/07/03 - 2:18 AM Permalink

I love the rivals idea, or the RPG team. The team would need at least 2 months considering the lesser amount of entries in the last round... but it sure would be cool!

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 15/07/03 - 10:50 PM Permalink

It takes almost as long to decide on the comp as it does to do it.

I propose we get everyones opinion on how the comps are to be structured then vote and that guideline is kept for all further comps. Then its just a matter of coming up with the concept, polycount, time limit etc.

That is if its fine with Souri, since its his baby.

My opinions on comp:

Either, the winner decides on next comp, if winner has won more than twice in a row or is unable to think of anything he/she stands down for the person in second place just to keep ideas fresh and moving.

Or we all think of 1 idea in a certain timeframe like 2-5 days and Souri draws them from a hat.

As for this comp, I like the rivals idea, maybe with an underlying theme or genre type that we must adhere to, ie. black vs white plus manga, marvel, realistic, chibi etc.

Love the rpg team one but Im doing that already for my portfolio, why do I always start stuff for my portfolio then it gets set as the next comp?? lol. [8)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 15/07/03 - 11:11 PM Permalink

I've posted the news on the Sumea Challenge #4.. Bullant Studios have organised the prize for the next challenge, which is a FULL PASS to the Australian Game Developers Conference in Melbourne, later this year.. w00t!

Submitted by Pointy on Tue, 15/07/03 - 11:48 PM Permalink

Taking that into account this challenge should be more official.
Eg have either souri or Bullant Studios come up with the topic.
Make the time limit long enough to allow for any possibility.
And have a panal of professional judges, like with the first challenge.

Kudos to souri for his orginisation

EDIT: just a suggestion. Perhaps have the competition include these guidlines; your own concept, textures(no photosource), modelling(no recyling), and animation (no bips)?

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 16/07/03 - 12:28 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

Second that.

Thirded.

Indeed, probably Bullant should decide the topic or at least decide some of the restrictions that are going to take place.

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 16/07/03 - 1:36 AM Permalink

Yes i prefer BULLANT to decide on the competition theme and rules and regulations since they are the ones sponsoring it .......which is awesome [:D] Thank u bullant and souri [:D]

i think this time it will be a damn good competition since people want to attend AGDC [:)]

I really like that rival theme as well now that will rawk !!!! [:D]

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 16/07/03 - 7:37 AM Permalink

Ohh.. that sounds cool. I agree that now Bullant decide the topic and rules if they wish. I'll have to make sure I get my entry done this time.

Submitted by quiklite on Wed, 16/07/03 - 8:39 AM Permalink

Might there topic be broad enough for 2D artists to sneak into this competition somehow? :)

As much as I would be able to love to model, I'm really quite hopeless. However, I've been wanting to dig into something like this for a while, and to be able to do it in this competition would be awesome.

--Paul

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 16/07/03 - 6:38 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by quiklite

Might there topic be broad enough for 2D artists to sneak into this competition somehow? :)

Originaly there was a seperate 2D comp that died due to lack of interest. It might be time to bring it back as you can't realy judge 3d and 2d together.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 16/07/03 - 6:46 PM Permalink

God damn, I think I would like a full pass to the AGDC. No AIE discount for me this year :(.

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 16/07/03 - 6:49 PM Permalink

Hope we can get this comp up before this week end.

Posted by souri on

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 09/07/03 - 11:49 PM Permalink

I still think the winner should choose.
I trust the winner not to cheat by choosing a topic hes already modelled.
Its beneficial if it challenges them too so I can't see it being a problem.

Or the top 3 put forward a choice each and Souri dips into the hat.

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 10/07/03 - 12:36 AM Permalink

sounds good to me, but i'm not going for this one. Unless it is something really very cool.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 10/07/03 - 12:43 AM Permalink

Just to get the ball rolling....

1. 'Rivals' - design a main hero and their nemesis. Give backstory. There should be some cohesion between the two.

2. Fighting game character - can be for a weapons based or melee fighter. Any time period allowed or make your own.

3. Sprite challenge - Just kiddin'. On second thought, it might be cool to see the 2d artists. 24 colours, hi-res like Guilty Gear XX.

4. RPG 'team' - design an RPG team of up to 5 characters, cannabilisation allowed...

5. RTS units- design a series of units for an RTS. Low poly and texture count.

6. 'Climatic Battle' - design a final boss battle for a game, include background. Points of note - pay attention to lighting, posing, overall cohesion, fx's etc... a nice challenge that would force modellers to learn a bit beyond modelling and texturing. Doesn't have to be one on one, it can be a small team vs a boss.

7. Mascot - I think this might have been done at CGTalk? But a mascot character would be cool. Try and include surroundings that reflect the tone of the game.

I thought of those off the top of my head but they should prompt others ideas.

Submitted by Brain on Thu, 10/07/03 - 12:59 AM Permalink

Level design and/or techinical thingies like vehicles. This was suggested last time, but I'm still interested. (I also said I'd participate in the last challenge. *slaps hand* Bad Brain! Bad!!)

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 10/07/03 - 1:01 AM Permalink

In this case if the winner should choose i prefer to have all 4 or 3 people that finished the competition to have a vote for the next challenge. Since theres not much of us that is [:D] ( could include malus too since he finished his model [:D])

i love those ideas jonathon !!! [:D]

especially these 3:

Guys wat u think of one of these topics ?

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 10/07/03 - 9:14 PM Permalink

quote:

RTS = Real Time Strategy. ie - units for a Command and Conquer type universe or perhaps for a Starcraft type universe.

I thought those ideas pretty much up on the spot, but I'm also favouring 'The Rivals', 'The Climatic Battle' and the 'RPG team'. If I had to chose one, I'd do climatic battle - there's so much scope here. Perhaps say, a polycount of 15000 and you can use it anyway you want - ie the environments may need more detail than the characters for your entry. Or, you might want to have two characters going up against the final boss. I dunno, but seeing as the next challenge has about 2 months set aside for it, we should really go to town.

Also, I should have my new computer by then, so I shall be able to enter! Huzzah and Hurrah!

And Souri, any news on what this 'good news' might be? I'm guessing it might be something related to Krome Studios seeing as you have gotten sponsorship from them recently.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 10/07/03 - 11:15 PM Permalink

I wouldn't go too hardcore on the amount of models/environment etc, Alhough I'd personally love to do something like rivals.

I think the extended timeframe has happened mainly due to the fact no one is actually finishing smaller comps, if we make the comps larger the problem still exists.

This is probalby overkill but maybe we could have 2 comps, a larger one and a smaller one, same time limit but different specs and judged seperately.

Might stop the "I have no time" whinge ...er..comment. [:P]

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 11/07/03 - 12:04 AM Permalink

I think what would probably stop the 'I don't have time' comments would be to allow cannabilisation of your own models. That way, if people are creating something at their animation schools (or whatever), then they can use it. Also, it's standard industry practice to cannabilise, isn't it? It'd certainly allow more people to finish their work - if you've got to choose between devoting time to study and devoting time to personal projects, it's more prudent to go with the schoolwork. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone, I say.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 11/07/03 - 12:48 AM Permalink

If your going to cannabalise then fine, same with photosourcing.
I just think you should express that you have done so for voting purposes.

Even though they are both valuable and widely used in the industry, I feel a competition is a representation of your raw ability, not wether or not you are cabale of putting things together, as such everyone should be aware if those valid industry process's where used in the comp.

Its not a big deal to say you did that anyway so I can't see anyone having a problem with it.
On a personal note for voting, I'd vote higher for someone who went the extra effort and did it from scratch, but thats just me.

BTW: I'm aware with cannabalism you would have had to modelled the meshes at some stage, the thing is does it represent your ability at this time, theres no knowing how long it took you for the original structures, therefore hard to judge ability effectively. [:)]

Submitted by Pointy on Fri, 11/07/03 - 1:40 AM Permalink

that would seem like a good idea to the problem, except some people will have a bigger libaries of models they can source from then others. Some people may not have any.
And as Malus pointed out, it would be unfair if one person were to work hard from scratch, and then i.. er someone else, were to submit somthing they had been working on for 3 times the amount of time.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 11/07/03 - 4:02 AM Permalink

Also I thought one of the main things these comps where about was the improvment in skills of the participants. Re use of models (or bits of) means less improvment.

Although it would be funny if everyone gave a model over to the comp and you had to use parts from the comp model pool to make a Frankenstein esk abomination. :P

As for my input, Im easy. I'll model anything, but maybe something specifically cute this time?

Pantmonger

Submitted by souri on Fri, 11/07/03 - 9:43 AM Permalink

[quote]And Souri, any news on what this 'good news' might be? I'm guessing it might be something related to Krome Studios seeing as you have gotten sponsorship from them recently.

Can't really say anything until it is finalised.. not sure if it will come through yet.

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 11/07/03 - 7:09 PM Permalink

I like the idea that have come up of far. I would like to add

*Making a character for a game or series of games (like FF, halo, quake, unreal, Mario, the list goes on). This would push every one into going though the steps which someone in the industry would. And this kind of stuff get huge brownly point with and employers, because they don't want to see your style of art, they want to know if you can do there's.

Submitted by Pointy on Fri, 11/07/03 - 10:18 PM Permalink

how about this -
Yourself as a D&D character. Any style of your choosing so as long as people easily recognise it as yourself.

If you dont know what kind of character you might be check this site out.
http://neppyman.irulethe.net/dndwho/

I say any style, because i find it more enjoyable to work on my own stuff, in my own style. If you like to march to another beat, then theres nothing wrong with that.

I say "To hell with employers! Im about me, and my dishes.. er art" Now if you will excuse me im late for a poetry reading, and have misplaced my beret.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 11/07/03 - 11:27 PM Permalink

That was a very cool link. Quite a lot of fun to be had there.

I agree, I'd like to use my own style as Malus mentioned (in the argument against cannabilism) that we're doing these challenges to further our own skills and styles.

I'm a little loathe to do a D&D theme tho, D&D is everywhere and done to death. IMO, it's probably one of the most generic themes there is. But if there ever was a challenge, it would be to do a D&D theme without it being hackneyed. Still, the idea of interpreting yourself as a D&D character is quite good. According to the survey, I'm a Chaotic Good Elf Ranger Mage.

Submitted by Pointy on Sat, 12/07/03 - 1:41 AM Permalink

if there ever was a challenge, it would be to do a D&D theme without it being hackneyed.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sat, 12/07/03 - 10:29 PM Permalink

quote:

Good luck! The funny thing about the fantasy genre (or D&D) in both games and books is that you almost have to adhere to the genres 'rules'. Look forward to it.

Submitted by ironikart on Sun, 13/07/03 - 2:18 AM Permalink

I love the rivals idea, or the RPG team. The team would need at least 2 months considering the lesser amount of entries in the last round... but it sure would be cool!

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 15/07/03 - 10:50 PM Permalink

It takes almost as long to decide on the comp as it does to do it.

I propose we get everyones opinion on how the comps are to be structured then vote and that guideline is kept for all further comps. Then its just a matter of coming up with the concept, polycount, time limit etc.

That is if its fine with Souri, since its his baby.

My opinions on comp:

Either, the winner decides on next comp, if winner has won more than twice in a row or is unable to think of anything he/she stands down for the person in second place just to keep ideas fresh and moving.

Or we all think of 1 idea in a certain timeframe like 2-5 days and Souri draws them from a hat.

As for this comp, I like the rivals idea, maybe with an underlying theme or genre type that we must adhere to, ie. black vs white plus manga, marvel, realistic, chibi etc.

Love the rpg team one but Im doing that already for my portfolio, why do I always start stuff for my portfolio then it gets set as the next comp?? lol. [8)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 15/07/03 - 11:11 PM Permalink

I've posted the news on the Sumea Challenge #4.. Bullant Studios have organised the prize for the next challenge, which is a FULL PASS to the Australian Game Developers Conference in Melbourne, later this year.. w00t!

Submitted by Pointy on Tue, 15/07/03 - 11:48 PM Permalink

Taking that into account this challenge should be more official.
Eg have either souri or Bullant Studios come up with the topic.
Make the time limit long enough to allow for any possibility.
And have a panal of professional judges, like with the first challenge.

Kudos to souri for his orginisation

EDIT: just a suggestion. Perhaps have the competition include these guidlines; your own concept, textures(no photosource), modelling(no recyling), and animation (no bips)?

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 16/07/03 - 12:28 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

Second that.

Thirded.

Indeed, probably Bullant should decide the topic or at least decide some of the restrictions that are going to take place.

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 16/07/03 - 1:36 AM Permalink

Yes i prefer BULLANT to decide on the competition theme and rules and regulations since they are the ones sponsoring it .......which is awesome [:D] Thank u bullant and souri [:D]

i think this time it will be a damn good competition since people want to attend AGDC [:)]

I really like that rival theme as well now that will rawk !!!! [:D]

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 16/07/03 - 7:37 AM Permalink

Ohh.. that sounds cool. I agree that now Bullant decide the topic and rules if they wish. I'll have to make sure I get my entry done this time.

Submitted by quiklite on Wed, 16/07/03 - 8:39 AM Permalink

As much as I would be able to love to model, I'm really quite hopeless. However, I've been wanting to dig into something like this for a while, and to be able to do it in this competition would be awesome.

--Paul

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 16/07/03 - 6:38 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by quiklite

Originaly there was a seperate 2D comp that died due to lack of interest. It might be time to bring it back as you can't realy judge 3d and 2d together.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 16/07/03 - 6:46 PM Permalink

God damn, I think I would like a full pass to the AGDC. No AIE discount for me this year :(.

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 16/07/03 - 6:49 PM Permalink

Hope we can get this comp up before this week end.