Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #5 -3D- Pantmonger - Challenger #1

Submitted by Pantmonger on

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/56_EvolutionL.jpg[/img]

My concepts for the comp, gone down the two ?good? pills path rather then good and evil.

Pantmonger

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sun, 08/02/04 - 12:05 AM Permalink

I was waiting for your entry. Top stuff - I love how the evolution makes sense. Eg - the wings are present in the final version whilst only being some sort of radar in the second.

I'm quite a fan of your colouring too. It's well suited to this piece.

Perhaps you could put some subtle detail in the wings of the final version? Kinda like how you've put it in the chest?

Top stuff. Any chance of seeing a hero to go with it?

Submitted by BlackJack on Sun, 08/02/04 - 12:26 AM Permalink

That is sooooooo Kool. I really like the idea. can't wait to see models.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 08/02/04 - 12:38 AM Permalink

Even the concept looks like a toon shaded model, top stuff.

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Sun, 08/02/04 - 1:16 AM Permalink

Nice work Pants! Love the cartoon style - should convert nicely to 3D.
Keep it up man!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 08/02/04 - 1:26 AM Permalink

good work pants, reminds me of a bunch of old toys i have lying around somewhere in my cupboard, which is suited to the topic i suppose :D
keep it up

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 08/02/04 - 2:24 AM Permalink

Cool work pants, lovely style :)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 08/02/04 - 7:49 PM Permalink

JonathanKerr: Thanks, it shall be interesting to see if I can convey the cell shade well with the texture. I probably will add some additional wing detail in the final form as per your suggestion.

Blackjack: Thanks. I can wait either, I never ??cute?? model before

Bullet21: Thanks, Is it models imitating art or the other way around. ??

WAR-HEAD: Thanks, I hope so.

MoonUnit: Thanks, which toys by the way? You got me all curious now.

Makk: Thanks

Pantmonger

Submitted by smeg on Sun, 08/02/04 - 9:42 PM Permalink

Very nice pants. If i was in charge, he'd never evolve - the baby one is too cute. :D

cheers

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sun, 08/02/04 - 9:54 PM Permalink

Well you're not in charge! So HA!

*ahem*

So Pants, how many sketches and concepts did you go through before you got these guys right?

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 09/02/04 - 12:12 AM Permalink

Smeg: Thanks, yeah the little one had to be the cutest, doing the pokemon thing of them being more "serious" as they evolve.

The heads took a couple, but other then that a single profile for each before the 3/4. I find it easier to design the basic shape in flat side veiw before deciding how that translates into a "3D" pose.

I forgot to mention before, there will be a trainer but in 2D only. I have got another project Im working on at the moment so my time is being split as it is. The trainer won't be shown untill the final, poster style, pic.

Pantmonger

Pantmonger

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 09/02/04 - 12:24 AM Permalink

I like the suspense! Can't wait.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 09/02/04 - 4:06 AM Permalink

just an old toy of a terodactil (sp?). you could push a button on its back and its wings would flap[8D]

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 09/02/04 - 9:25 PM Permalink

Can't let anyone else have the thunder hey Mr Pants? [:P]
Nice ideas.

Submitted by Piss Poor on Tue, 10/02/04 - 7:40 PM Permalink

i really like this concept, i especially like the piece on his chest that opens out to be like a mechanical eye in the final evolution. really nice style too, the cell shading and thick black lines really work for this.

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 10/02/04 - 8:36 PM Permalink

Nice concept, my favourite so far.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 10/02/04 - 9:39 PM Permalink

A strange request, but I wonder what this could look like in a vector program like Illustrator - just to give it 'extra smoothness?' With your colouring, did you do the three tones on three different layers?

Submitted by shath on Wed, 11/02/04 - 10:52 AM Permalink

its cool i like your colouring style

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 11/02/04 - 6:34 PM Permalink

Thanks again for the positive feedback guys.

JonathanKerr: Cell shade stuff converts to vector real well, even just vectorising an existing bitmap done in cell shade goes over pretty well, not two much additional optimization needed. One of my first illustration jobs involved doing cell shade in flash.

Each colour was on a separate layer, the tones for each of those colour layer go on layers above, you bind them together and you cannot go outside the lines of the layer its bound to. Makes the whole thing fast and easy to do, but it is a memory pig. But that?s the way I work, and also the reason I have 2 gig of ram on my PC.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 23/02/04 - 4:04 AM Permalink

They look really cool Pants. Can't wait to see the texturing now :)

Happy Birthday as well.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 23/02/04 - 7:51 AM Permalink

wowzers, nice work, great transition from your sketches to 3D, allthough the perodactyl (sp?) thing looks a lot more bottom heavy and fatter in 3D then it did in your sketch, or perhaps the head is just smaller....

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 24/02/04 - 12:38 AM Permalink

Wow, I'm impressed. They look awesome. They look to me just like your concept art.
It's taking me forever to get my models done, and I was just wondering how long it took you to make those?
Great work, anyway.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 24/02/04 - 6:43 AM Permalink

Thanks for the comment guys, and the birthday wishes.

MoonUnit: Yeah, I will be tweaking the girth a bit on these, as well as trimming some bits adding to others etc, I just like to let a little time pass to distance myself first.

palantir: About 6 / 7 hours done on one hot Sunday morning.

Pantmonger

Submitted by FireFlight on Tue, 24/02/04 - 10:05 AM Permalink

Looks good, I like the colouring in the concept art. That is it's the 22nd your saying was hot, you weren't wrong. At about 4pm my pool was luke warm.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 03/03/04 - 8:32 PM Permalink

Edit Images removed due to load times
Stage 1.
The textured model shots are done with a high self illumination, if this is an issue just let me know and I will change it, but the texture was designed around having a high self illumination.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 03/03/04 - 8:57 PM Permalink

Aw shucks hes soo cute, [:P]
Looking good so far Pants, how are the others coming along?
Looks like you baked in some lighting, cool cell shaded feel.

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 03/03/04 - 9:02 PM Permalink

Looks good pants - Perhaps give a bit more attention to the green glass bits, solid gray and white highlights are looking washed out and detracts from it.

I'm a firm believer in presenting textured shots of your model at least over 50% self illum (I personally prefer to see 100% self illum). This is to see the texture on the model, to look at things such as the uv distortion, seam laying, and the model/texture as a whole. Anything less and I'd assume people are hiding things in their presentation [;)]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 04/03/04 - 7:12 PM Permalink

Malus: Thanks, the others are coming along ok, about 50% uvw?s done on both (benefit of using the same base mesh) The texturing should be faster as well now that I know how I?m conveying it style wise, though due to the 512 size it all feels so wasteful. I considered baking the lighting, but then just did it by hand instead. The whole thing feels so slow as I am making 1 hour at a time before I go to work each morning. I hope my sleepiness doesn?t effect to badly.

J.I. Styles: Thanks, I?ll look at altering the extremes on the glass.

Pantmonger

Submitted by smeg on Fri, 05/03/04 - 8:37 AM Permalink

you _didn't_ bake that lighting?

bravo.

Posted by Pantmonger on

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/56_EvolutionL.jpg[/img]

My concepts for the comp, gone down the two ?good? pills path rather then good and evil.

Pantmonger

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sun, 08/02/04 - 12:05 AM Permalink

I was waiting for your entry. Top stuff - I love how the evolution makes sense. Eg - the wings are present in the final version whilst only being some sort of radar in the second.

I'm quite a fan of your colouring too. It's well suited to this piece.

Perhaps you could put some subtle detail in the wings of the final version? Kinda like how you've put it in the chest?

Top stuff. Any chance of seeing a hero to go with it?

Submitted by BlackJack on Sun, 08/02/04 - 12:26 AM Permalink

That is sooooooo Kool. I really like the idea. can't wait to see models.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 08/02/04 - 12:38 AM Permalink

Even the concept looks like a toon shaded model, top stuff.

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Sun, 08/02/04 - 1:16 AM Permalink

Nice work Pants! Love the cartoon style - should convert nicely to 3D.
Keep it up man!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 08/02/04 - 1:26 AM Permalink

good work pants, reminds me of a bunch of old toys i have lying around somewhere in my cupboard, which is suited to the topic i suppose :D
keep it up

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 08/02/04 - 2:24 AM Permalink

Cool work pants, lovely style :)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 08/02/04 - 7:49 PM Permalink

JonathanKerr: Thanks, it shall be interesting to see if I can convey the cell shade well with the texture. I probably will add some additional wing detail in the final form as per your suggestion.

Blackjack: Thanks. I can wait either, I never ??cute?? model before

Bullet21: Thanks, Is it models imitating art or the other way around. ??

WAR-HEAD: Thanks, I hope so.

MoonUnit: Thanks, which toys by the way? You got me all curious now.

Makk: Thanks

Pantmonger

Submitted by smeg on Sun, 08/02/04 - 9:42 PM Permalink

Very nice pants. If i was in charge, he'd never evolve - the baby one is too cute. :D

cheers

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sun, 08/02/04 - 9:54 PM Permalink

Well you're not in charge! So HA!

*ahem*

So Pants, how many sketches and concepts did you go through before you got these guys right?

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 09/02/04 - 12:12 AM Permalink

Smeg: Thanks, yeah the little one had to be the cutest, doing the pokemon thing of them being more "serious" as they evolve.

The heads took a couple, but other then that a single profile for each before the 3/4. I find it easier to design the basic shape in flat side veiw before deciding how that translates into a "3D" pose.

I forgot to mention before, there will be a trainer but in 2D only. I have got another project Im working on at the moment so my time is being split as it is. The trainer won't be shown untill the final, poster style, pic.

Pantmonger

Pantmonger

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 09/02/04 - 12:24 AM Permalink

I like the suspense! Can't wait.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 09/02/04 - 4:06 AM Permalink

just an old toy of a terodactil (sp?). you could push a button on its back and its wings would flap[8D]

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 09/02/04 - 9:25 PM Permalink

Can't let anyone else have the thunder hey Mr Pants? [:P]
Nice ideas.

Submitted by Piss Poor on Tue, 10/02/04 - 7:40 PM Permalink

i really like this concept, i especially like the piece on his chest that opens out to be like a mechanical eye in the final evolution. really nice style too, the cell shading and thick black lines really work for this.

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 10/02/04 - 8:36 PM Permalink

Nice concept, my favourite so far.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 10/02/04 - 9:39 PM Permalink

A strange request, but I wonder what this could look like in a vector program like Illustrator - just to give it 'extra smoothness?' With your colouring, did you do the three tones on three different layers?

Submitted by shath on Wed, 11/02/04 - 10:52 AM Permalink

its cool i like your colouring style

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 11/02/04 - 6:34 PM Permalink

Thanks again for the positive feedback guys.

JonathanKerr: Cell shade stuff converts to vector real well, even just vectorising an existing bitmap done in cell shade goes over pretty well, not two much additional optimization needed. One of my first illustration jobs involved doing cell shade in flash.

Each colour was on a separate layer, the tones for each of those colour layer go on layers above, you bind them together and you cannot go outside the lines of the layer its bound to. Makes the whole thing fast and easy to do, but it is a memory pig. But that?s the way I work, and also the reason I have 2 gig of ram on my PC.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 23/02/04 - 4:04 AM Permalink

They look really cool Pants. Can't wait to see the texturing now :)

Happy Birthday as well.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 23/02/04 - 7:51 AM Permalink

wowzers, nice work, great transition from your sketches to 3D, allthough the perodactyl (sp?) thing looks a lot more bottom heavy and fatter in 3D then it did in your sketch, or perhaps the head is just smaller....

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 24/02/04 - 12:38 AM Permalink

Wow, I'm impressed. They look awesome. They look to me just like your concept art.
It's taking me forever to get my models done, and I was just wondering how long it took you to make those?
Great work, anyway.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 24/02/04 - 6:43 AM Permalink

Thanks for the comment guys, and the birthday wishes.

MoonUnit: Yeah, I will be tweaking the girth a bit on these, as well as trimming some bits adding to others etc, I just like to let a little time pass to distance myself first.

palantir: About 6 / 7 hours done on one hot Sunday morning.

Pantmonger

Submitted by FireFlight on Tue, 24/02/04 - 10:05 AM Permalink

Looks good, I like the colouring in the concept art. That is it's the 22nd your saying was hot, you weren't wrong. At about 4pm my pool was luke warm.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 03/03/04 - 8:32 PM Permalink

Edit Images removed due to load times
Stage 1.
The textured model shots are done with a high self illumination, if this is an issue just let me know and I will change it, but the texture was designed around having a high self illumination.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 03/03/04 - 8:57 PM Permalink

Aw shucks hes soo cute, [:P]
Looking good so far Pants, how are the others coming along?
Looks like you baked in some lighting, cool cell shaded feel.

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 03/03/04 - 9:02 PM Permalink

Looks good pants - Perhaps give a bit more attention to the green glass bits, solid gray and white highlights are looking washed out and detracts from it.

I'm a firm believer in presenting textured shots of your model at least over 50% self illum (I personally prefer to see 100% self illum). This is to see the texture on the model, to look at things such as the uv distortion, seam laying, and the model/texture as a whole. Anything less and I'd assume people are hiding things in their presentation [;)]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 04/03/04 - 7:12 PM Permalink

Malus: Thanks, the others are coming along ok, about 50% uvw?s done on both (benefit of using the same base mesh) The texturing should be faster as well now that I know how I?m conveying it style wise, though due to the 512 size it all feels so wasteful. I considered baking the lighting, but then just did it by hand instead. The whole thing feels so slow as I am making 1 hour at a time before I go to work each morning. I hope my sleepiness doesn?t effect to badly.

J.I. Styles: Thanks, I?ll look at altering the extremes on the glass.

Pantmonger

Submitted by smeg on Fri, 05/03/04 - 8:37 AM Permalink

you _didn't_ bake that lighting?

bravo.