Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #4 - 3D - 'WAR-HEAD'

Submitted by WAR HEAD on

Hi... I hope I'm not too late for the party.

I have made a start on all of the previous modelling challenges here, however, I have unfortunately not been able to find the time to finish them. This is all going to change this time 'round... hopefully.

My concept for this challenge is a TANK of a demon lord... a modified take on the "traditional" style bad guy. I am basically just aiming for a mammoth of a guy so this is what i've come up with.

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/warhead/DemonConcept.jpg[/img]

Well, as usual, all comments and crits welcome and appreciated.
Cheers.

*NOTE: Removed pics

Submitted by ironikart on Wed, 06/08/03 - 6:09 PM Permalink

The scorpion tail is an interesting idea. It's a bit hard to see how that pauldron attaches to his shoulder though, it looks a bit awkward. Nice though!

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 06/08/03 - 9:56 PM Permalink

Quite a cool idea and I'm a fan of the proportions. The scorpion tail is a good defining characteristic as without it, the design would seem a bit simplistic.

Lets hope no one attacks him from his right hand side, he'd be blindsided!

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Thu, 07/08/03 - 4:49 AM Permalink

Thanks Guys.
I think as far as the shoulder pad goes, I was gonna make it appear as though it had been nailed through his chest as some "experiment gone wrong" type thing. I'm still working on the details and features of the design, but the concept should be finalised soon.

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Tue, 12/08/03 - 4:03 AM Permalink

I've done a bit of modelling... very basic at the moment.

*NOTE: Removed pics of half finished mesh

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 12/08/03 - 4:34 AM Permalink

Looking close to the concept, can we see some wires?
Actually why don't people ever show wires when they show their wips? Intriguing....

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Fri, 15/08/03 - 10:23 PM Permalink

Progress report...

Here's the model so far:
*NOTE: Removed pics of an almost finished model with a poxy tail

And here's the wireframe (just for Malus) :)
*NOTE: Removed wireframes of an almost finished model with a poxy tail

I have about 500 polys to go... I'm thinking of making a weapon and adding a few details. Any suggestions before i start UVMapping?

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 15/08/03 - 10:44 PM Permalink

Love the big beefy design.
Maybe his legs are a little too small in height?
And I would also say that his head is a little bit small aswell.
Good work though :)

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 15/08/03 - 10:47 PM Permalink

Thanks for the wires man hehe, I just don't understand why people don't post them, oh well. [:P]

First up I'd join the shoulders to the torso.

Unless it doesn't move all that much the tail won't deform properly with single segments, also the spike at the end looks just like a primitive object, give it some character.

Your on the right track.

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 15/08/03 - 11:52 PM Permalink

i agree with malus there i rekon deform the tail more so it just doesnt look like a sphere [:)] also i rekon the hind legs are a little thin it just looks like his body is bigger which seems that he is gonna have trouble supporting himself [:)]

but apart from those things execellent job keep it up [:D] would love to see him textured [:)]

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Tue, 16/09/03 - 8:53 AM Permalink

Quick update...
I've just started texturing... and unfortunately, I won't be getting my Wacom until after the comp. Guess I'll have to stick to mouse-painting for this model.

I made a few changes to the mesh since last post. I fixed the shoulders and tail, and gave him a weapon. He's fully skin-mapped and rigged... pretty much ready to go apart from the textures.

Sorry if you can't see all of this too clearly in the pic, but I got bored and did a bit of experimentation.

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/warhead/Preview_01.jpg[/img]

P.S. I have also removed the pics from my previous posts except my main concept.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 16/09/03 - 11:35 PM Permalink

I think your not using enoough colours for your skin tones. I look at the face and only see two reds (light, dark) and black. Use a range of colours (A few different lights and darks) and try not use black for the shadows, try using a more saturated (deeper) version of red instead. This wil help out on another aspect that could be improved. That is, there is a lot of contrast on the face. Meaning you have gone from light to dark (or vice versa) very quickly and there is very little midtone.
I like the way you are going in terms of design (the facial tats look really cool and I like his expression), But i feel there is ways in which you can improve it the excution of it.
Hope this is of some help, good luck :)

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Wed, 17/09/03 - 4:27 AM Permalink

Cheers for the pointers Makk. But like I said, I have only just started texturing. I will definately take your suggestions on board. Hopefully I will get a chance to work more on it this weekend...

Posted by WAR HEAD on

Hi... I hope I'm not too late for the party.

I have made a start on all of the previous modelling challenges here, however, I have unfortunately not been able to find the time to finish them. This is all going to change this time 'round... hopefully.

My concept for this challenge is a TANK of a demon lord... a modified take on the "traditional" style bad guy. I am basically just aiming for a mammoth of a guy so this is what i've come up with.

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/warhead/DemonConcept.jpg[/img]

Well, as usual, all comments and crits welcome and appreciated.
Cheers.

*NOTE: Removed pics

Submitted by ironikart on Wed, 06/08/03 - 6:09 PM Permalink

The scorpion tail is an interesting idea. It's a bit hard to see how that pauldron attaches to his shoulder though, it looks a bit awkward. Nice though!

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 06/08/03 - 9:56 PM Permalink

Quite a cool idea and I'm a fan of the proportions. The scorpion tail is a good defining characteristic as without it, the design would seem a bit simplistic.

Lets hope no one attacks him from his right hand side, he'd be blindsided!

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Thu, 07/08/03 - 4:49 AM Permalink

Thanks Guys.
I think as far as the shoulder pad goes, I was gonna make it appear as though it had been nailed through his chest as some "experiment gone wrong" type thing. I'm still working on the details and features of the design, but the concept should be finalised soon.

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Tue, 12/08/03 - 4:03 AM Permalink

I've done a bit of modelling... very basic at the moment.

*NOTE: Removed pics of half finished mesh

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 12/08/03 - 4:34 AM Permalink

Looking close to the concept, can we see some wires?
Actually why don't people ever show wires when they show their wips? Intriguing....

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Fri, 15/08/03 - 10:23 PM Permalink

Progress report...

Here's the model so far:
*NOTE: Removed pics of an almost finished model with a poxy tail

And here's the wireframe (just for Malus) :)
*NOTE: Removed wireframes of an almost finished model with a poxy tail

I have about 500 polys to go... I'm thinking of making a weapon and adding a few details. Any suggestions before i start UVMapping?

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 15/08/03 - 10:44 PM Permalink

Love the big beefy design.
Maybe his legs are a little too small in height?
And I would also say that his head is a little bit small aswell.
Good work though :)

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 15/08/03 - 10:47 PM Permalink

Thanks for the wires man hehe, I just don't understand why people don't post them, oh well. [:P]

First up I'd join the shoulders to the torso.

Unless it doesn't move all that much the tail won't deform properly with single segments, also the spike at the end looks just like a primitive object, give it some character.

Your on the right track.

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 15/08/03 - 11:52 PM Permalink

i agree with malus there i rekon deform the tail more so it just doesnt look like a sphere [:)] also i rekon the hind legs are a little thin it just looks like his body is bigger which seems that he is gonna have trouble supporting himself [:)]

but apart from those things execellent job keep it up [:D] would love to see him textured [:)]

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Tue, 16/09/03 - 8:53 AM Permalink

Quick update...
I've just started texturing... and unfortunately, I won't be getting my Wacom until after the comp. Guess I'll have to stick to mouse-painting for this model.

I made a few changes to the mesh since last post. I fixed the shoulders and tail, and gave him a weapon. He's fully skin-mapped and rigged... pretty much ready to go apart from the textures.

Sorry if you can't see all of this too clearly in the pic, but I got bored and did a bit of experimentation.

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/warhead/Preview_01.jpg[/img]

P.S. I have also removed the pics from my previous posts except my main concept.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 16/09/03 - 11:35 PM Permalink

I think your not using enoough colours for your skin tones. I look at the face and only see two reds (light, dark) and black. Use a range of colours (A few different lights and darks) and try not use black for the shadows, try using a more saturated (deeper) version of red instead. This wil help out on another aspect that could be improved. That is, there is a lot of contrast on the face. Meaning you have gone from light to dark (or vice versa) very quickly and there is very little midtone.
I like the way you are going in terms of design (the facial tats look really cool and I like his expression), But i feel there is ways in which you can improve it the excution of it.
Hope this is of some help, good luck :)

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Wed, 17/09/03 - 4:27 AM Permalink

Cheers for the pointers Makk. But like I said, I have only just started texturing. I will definately take your suggestions on board. Hopefully I will get a chance to work more on it this weekend...