Skip to main content

sumea challenge #7 - Lechy - Challenger #9

Submitted by Lechy on

Like picpoc I was also thinking of doing a big beefy dude. I'll post some concepts later. cheers.

Ok here are some concepts. Now to start on max.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Lechy/20054254642_HeavyArmour.jpg"]HeavyArmour.jpg[/url]
61.97 KB

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Lechy/20054254713_HeavyArmour2.j…"]HeavyArmour2.jpg[/url]
56.25 KB

Submitted by picpoc on Wed, 06/04/05 - 9:36 PM Permalink

well, u're in.... what chance do i have now? damn!

Submitted by Lechy on Thu, 07/04/05 - 7:25 PM Permalink

Jeeez Picpoc, I haven't done a finished model for frickin ages. So it will probably be rusty.

Submitted by picpoc on Sat, 09/04/05 - 11:15 PM Permalink

how u doing with the concept? i'm waiting for u to go first... i'm doing mine and using your 2d pics as a refrence. no one does big guys as good as u do!

Submitted by puck on Wed, 11/05/05 - 6:34 PM Permalink

Looking good Lechy,

I like the outline, those back spikes look cool. The concepts remaind me of chaos space marines (sci-fi and yet gothic and ornate); I'm looking forward to seeing that come out in the texture.

Submitted by pk on Sun, 15/05/05 - 6:51 PM Permalink

gday mate, this is looking sweet! hows it going modelling again? ur concept is very cool. Looking forward to seeing the texture!

Submitted by Sinister on Tue, 14/06/05 - 6:23 PM Permalink

Hey Lechy, you were wondering wot to do with the extra polys... I think the face could do with a lot more detail. Right now its just a sphere with no definition of facial features.
If there was a spot I had to say was lacking polys, that would be it [;)]

Submitted by Me109 on Sat, 18/06/05 - 4:04 AM Permalink

I don't mind this model at all.. will work great in the engine... this guy will stick out against the background really well... nice work all round.. bring on the texture....

maybe you could use you poly's on more pointy bits... or the face is a good idea too!

Submitted by picpoc on Sat, 18/06/05 - 10:43 PM Permalink

yeap, it looks realy good, congrats on the new job!

Submitted by Lechy on Mon, 20/06/05 - 12:13 AM Permalink

Thanks picpoc. Here is the final model with a dodgy physique, I'll clean it up later. It's about 3000 polys, I changed the back a bit, added polys to the head and made adjustments to the forearms. I'm currently in the process of unwrapping. I'll post some textures soon. cheers.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Lechy/20056190845_MechfinalSL.jp…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Lechy/20056190859_MechfinalSL2.j…]

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 20/06/05 - 8:37 PM Permalink

Awesome lechy, my fav so far :)
I like the design of the hands

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 24/06/05 - 1:36 AM Permalink

well... right now hes pretty much flat colours, i do hope you are going to add some metal detail right?

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Fri, 24/06/05 - 3:28 AM Permalink

quote:He's almost finished, just a few more adjustments and I'm done.

Hmmm when I first saw that pic I thought you had just started the texturing and had laid down the base colours for you to start painting on.

Please tell me you will be adding texture, colours and contrast to it. I'd hate to see such a cool model be spoiled by some sub-par texturing.

Submitted by Lechy on Fri, 24/06/05 - 9:35 AM Permalink

bah! I was only kidding, you are right Anuxinamoon. I'll try and give him some sort of texture, but after an hour of working on the texture I'm ready to just toss the whole thing. arrrghhh!!!!

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 24/06/05 - 10:18 AM Permalink

Dont give up lechy! :)

A few tips that I use when painting any texture. please note that this isnt they only way to go about texturing, just my basic method yadda, yadda, yadda :)

Something to keep in mind when you are texturing is a light source.
Generally, its a good idea to have it above the player. So therefore highlights would be the strongest at the top of the model and weakest at the bottom. For shadows they would be the lightest at the top and stronger below, but be midnful of areas that wont catch light very much, for example the under arm area.

Painting with a light sourde in mind and trying to pull out the forms of the model is the basic foundation to good texturing.
If your not completly comfortable picking the different colours for shading, work in greyscale. By that I mean just picking shades of grey. You can add colour easily by making an overlay layer filled with the base colour (red for example). Also I like to lay down the colours that Im using somewhere on a new layer, that way I can easily refer to them and the colours are more consistent

Once you have got the base shading down for you texture, its time to add some surface texture. Find a good photo of the material your painting (metal in this case) (and dont forget, dont use any copyrighted photos!!) and on a new layer above the bsae shading, fill in the areas that you want to be metal. Next simply change the layer mode to overlay or softlight (matter of fact try them all out and see what looks best) and WOOP! WOOP! your texture should look more realistic.

The last stage is general tweaking, making sure you highlights are bright enough, sharpining up any areas that arent well defined or blurry, etc.

hehe, thats about it lechy.
Hopefully you havent fallen asleep and this is of some help to you :)

Submitted by Lechy on Fri, 24/06/05 - 8:09 PM Permalink

Thanks Makk, Although I'm familiar with a lot of what you said, I haven't textured anything for over a year and a half and it's a bit of a struggle to get the look I want. But thanks for the support and I will soldier on.

BTW are we allowed to use specular maps?

Submitted by 3DArty on Fri, 24/06/05 - 10:43 PM Permalink

[BTW are we allowed to use specular maps?]

Hi im not sure if can or not,I think you can UT 2004 can use it .

Submitted by 3DArty on Sat, 25/06/05 - 10:58 AM Permalink

Thats looking sweet. you probly know this but where you have the gray where the paint is chiped add some lighter gray or all most white as well, more so on the sharper parts but with spacers, so if the light is not hiting that part of it.It will still have the same look. just to give it a bit more of a tin look.

keep it going its looking good.:)

Submitted by pk on Sat, 25/06/05 - 6:38 PM Permalink

im liking what im seeing so far. i know ur time is pretty limited at the moment, so good luck and put in the hard yards. U HAVE 2 finish this in time!!!

Submitted by popawheelie on Sat, 25/06/05 - 8:31 PM Permalink

Looking great! whats this talk about spec maps? Are they in the comp?

pop

Submitted by Lechy on Tue, 28/06/05 - 9:00 AM Permalink

Here is my effort so far, I'm fast running out of time because I won't be able to work on this after thursday. I spent most of the time so far trying to figure out what to do with the orange painted metal.

thanks for that tip 3Darty, I used a lighter shade of gray on the edges and it did look kinda better.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Lechy/200562785633_MechTexturing…]

Submitted by 3DArty on Tue, 28/06/05 - 5:36 PM Permalink

looking good but you might just want to tone them back just a bit as some of them just look a bit to white just try and get them to blend into the gray a bit more. the ones on his arms look spot on but there is one or two on his sholder and above and around his head are a bit strong.just tone them back a bit. it needs to work a bit like the background you have for that render from dark to light a good way to fix it is to use the blend tool where the white and the gray meet.

Submitted by Lechy on Tue, 28/06/05 - 8:15 PM Permalink

Aye, I'll have a play around with that. cheers

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 28/06/05 - 8:20 PM Permalink

looking better all the time, heres hoping you can detail the rest of it in time!!

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 29/06/05 - 1:39 AM Permalink

Lechy: This is my favourite I think so far, Im really liking how the texture is coming along, Especially down near the legs where it looks like a bit of oil has been seeping out between armour panels or just general grit has gathered in those areas over the years.

Try not to get too carried away with the black smokey parts though between armour etc and like 3dArty pointed out just take the edge off those highlights. Bring the remainder of the texture up to the same level and give the model a good looking over before delving in for another detail pass.

Overall its looking really good though - finish it [:)]

Posted by Lechy on

Like picpoc I was also thinking of doing a big beefy dude. I'll post some concepts later. cheers.

Ok here are some concepts. Now to start on max.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Lechy/20054254642_HeavyArmour.jpg"]HeavyArmour.jpg[/url]
61.97 KB

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Lechy/20054254713_HeavyArmour2.j…"]HeavyArmour2.jpg[/url]
56.25 KB

Submitted by picpoc on Wed, 06/04/05 - 9:36 PM Permalink

well, u're in.... what chance do i have now? damn!

Submitted by Lechy on Thu, 07/04/05 - 7:25 PM Permalink

Jeeez Picpoc, I haven't done a finished model for frickin ages. So it will probably be rusty.

Submitted by picpoc on Sat, 09/04/05 - 11:15 PM Permalink

how u doing with the concept? i'm waiting for u to go first... i'm doing mine and using your 2d pics as a refrence. no one does big guys as good as u do!

Submitted by puck on Wed, 11/05/05 - 6:34 PM Permalink

Looking good Lechy,

I like the outline, those back spikes look cool. The concepts remaind me of chaos space marines (sci-fi and yet gothic and ornate); I'm looking forward to seeing that come out in the texture.

Submitted by pk on Sun, 15/05/05 - 6:51 PM Permalink

gday mate, this is looking sweet! hows it going modelling again? ur concept is very cool. Looking forward to seeing the texture!

Submitted by Sinister on Tue, 14/06/05 - 6:23 PM Permalink

Hey Lechy, you were wondering wot to do with the extra polys... I think the face could do with a lot more detail. Right now its just a sphere with no definition of facial features.
If there was a spot I had to say was lacking polys, that would be it [;)]

Submitted by Me109 on Sat, 18/06/05 - 4:04 AM Permalink

I don't mind this model at all.. will work great in the engine... this guy will stick out against the background really well... nice work all round.. bring on the texture....

maybe you could use you poly's on more pointy bits... or the face is a good idea too!

Submitted by picpoc on Sat, 18/06/05 - 10:43 PM Permalink

yeap, it looks realy good, congrats on the new job!

Submitted by Lechy on Mon, 20/06/05 - 12:13 AM Permalink

Thanks picpoc. Here is the final model with a dodgy physique, I'll clean it up later. It's about 3000 polys, I changed the back a bit, added polys to the head and made adjustments to the forearms. I'm currently in the process of unwrapping. I'll post some textures soon. cheers.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Lechy/20056190845_MechfinalSL.jp…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Lechy/20056190859_MechfinalSL2.j…]

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 20/06/05 - 8:37 PM Permalink

Awesome lechy, my fav so far :)
I like the design of the hands

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 24/06/05 - 1:36 AM Permalink

well... right now hes pretty much flat colours, i do hope you are going to add some metal detail right?

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Fri, 24/06/05 - 3:28 AM Permalink

quote:He's almost finished, just a few more adjustments and I'm done.

Hmmm when I first saw that pic I thought you had just started the texturing and had laid down the base colours for you to start painting on.

Please tell me you will be adding texture, colours and contrast to it. I'd hate to see such a cool model be spoiled by some sub-par texturing.

Submitted by Lechy on Fri, 24/06/05 - 9:35 AM Permalink

bah! I was only kidding, you are right Anuxinamoon. I'll try and give him some sort of texture, but after an hour of working on the texture I'm ready to just toss the whole thing. arrrghhh!!!!

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 24/06/05 - 10:18 AM Permalink

Dont give up lechy! :)

A few tips that I use when painting any texture. please note that this isnt they only way to go about texturing, just my basic method yadda, yadda, yadda :)

Something to keep in mind when you are texturing is a light source.
Generally, its a good idea to have it above the player. So therefore highlights would be the strongest at the top of the model and weakest at the bottom. For shadows they would be the lightest at the top and stronger below, but be midnful of areas that wont catch light very much, for example the under arm area.

Painting with a light sourde in mind and trying to pull out the forms of the model is the basic foundation to good texturing.
If your not completly comfortable picking the different colours for shading, work in greyscale. By that I mean just picking shades of grey. You can add colour easily by making an overlay layer filled with the base colour (red for example). Also I like to lay down the colours that Im using somewhere on a new layer, that way I can easily refer to them and the colours are more consistent

Once you have got the base shading down for you texture, its time to add some surface texture. Find a good photo of the material your painting (metal in this case) (and dont forget, dont use any copyrighted photos!!) and on a new layer above the bsae shading, fill in the areas that you want to be metal. Next simply change the layer mode to overlay or softlight (matter of fact try them all out and see what looks best) and WOOP! WOOP! your texture should look more realistic.

The last stage is general tweaking, making sure you highlights are bright enough, sharpining up any areas that arent well defined or blurry, etc.

hehe, thats about it lechy.
Hopefully you havent fallen asleep and this is of some help to you :)

Submitted by Lechy on Fri, 24/06/05 - 8:09 PM Permalink

Thanks Makk, Although I'm familiar with a lot of what you said, I haven't textured anything for over a year and a half and it's a bit of a struggle to get the look I want. But thanks for the support and I will soldier on.

BTW are we allowed to use specular maps?

Submitted by 3DArty on Fri, 24/06/05 - 10:43 PM Permalink

[BTW are we allowed to use specular maps?]

Hi im not sure if can or not,I think you can UT 2004 can use it .

Submitted by 3DArty on Sat, 25/06/05 - 10:58 AM Permalink

Thats looking sweet. you probly know this but where you have the gray where the paint is chiped add some lighter gray or all most white as well, more so on the sharper parts but with spacers, so if the light is not hiting that part of it.It will still have the same look. just to give it a bit more of a tin look.

keep it going its looking good.:)

Submitted by pk on Sat, 25/06/05 - 6:38 PM Permalink

im liking what im seeing so far. i know ur time is pretty limited at the moment, so good luck and put in the hard yards. U HAVE 2 finish this in time!!!

Submitted by popawheelie on Sat, 25/06/05 - 8:31 PM Permalink

Looking great! whats this talk about spec maps? Are they in the comp?

pop

Submitted by Lechy on Tue, 28/06/05 - 9:00 AM Permalink

Here is my effort so far, I'm fast running out of time because I won't be able to work on this after thursday. I spent most of the time so far trying to figure out what to do with the orange painted metal.

thanks for that tip 3Darty, I used a lighter shade of gray on the edges and it did look kinda better.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Lechy/200562785633_MechTexturing…]

Submitted by 3DArty on Tue, 28/06/05 - 5:36 PM Permalink

looking good but you might just want to tone them back just a bit as some of them just look a bit to white just try and get them to blend into the gray a bit more. the ones on his arms look spot on but there is one or two on his sholder and above and around his head are a bit strong.just tone them back a bit. it needs to work a bit like the background you have for that render from dark to light a good way to fix it is to use the blend tool where the white and the gray meet.

Submitted by Lechy on Tue, 28/06/05 - 8:15 PM Permalink

Aye, I'll have a play around with that. cheers

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 28/06/05 - 8:20 PM Permalink

looking better all the time, heres hoping you can detail the rest of it in time!!

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 29/06/05 - 1:39 AM Permalink

Lechy: This is my favourite I think so far, Im really liking how the texture is coming along, Especially down near the legs where it looks like a bit of oil has been seeping out between armour panels or just general grit has gathered in those areas over the years.

Try not to get too carried away with the black smokey parts though between armour etc and like 3dArty pointed out just take the edge off those highlights. Bring the remainder of the texture up to the same level and give the model a good looking over before delving in for another detail pass.

Overall its looking really good though - finish it [:)]