Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #5 -3D- Blackjack

Submitted by BlackJack on

Ok, I'm in. This is my first concepts, they need tweaking and need to work on the Good / Bad versions, but this is the general creature. Kinda a wombat thing, but not really. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
<>

Submitted by hobonation on Sat, 07/02/04 - 1:13 AM Permalink

wicked. The second one is awesome, dont change it at all! :)

Submitted by xEmilx on Sun, 08/02/04 - 5:06 AM Permalink

Nice work doode, should make for an interesting model. Looking forward to the third evolution. Does the creature have any special abilities/powers?
Have you thought much about the main character?

Submitted by BlackJack on Sun, 08/02/04 - 5:20 AM Permalink

Working on an alternate version of the creature now.

I was thinking it is a very natural creature, so no real special powers. However it is based off of a wombat, so probobly digging, and powers to do with rocks and the earth.

I have a kind of idea, for elemental god kind of things, but still concepting it.

Submitted by BlackJack on Tue, 17/02/04 - 10:53 AM Permalink

Well this is my final 3 concepts, gonna try to start modeling them and make a few coloured versions asap. I would really appreciate and advice on them.

I'm also working on there Bio's and the Hero character and should have them done by the end of the week, unless something mucks up my cosmic plans! (always the way [:)])
<>

Submitted by xEmilx on Tue, 17/02/04 - 1:00 PM Permalink

Coming along really well, great consistancy with your character. You can clearly see the evolutionary process.
I want to see the models! HURRY HURRY! :D

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 18/02/04 - 6:46 AM Permalink

i think that maybe there should be more change between the second and third evolution... by looking at the toes it seems like all you did was do a bit of rubbing out and adding...

Submitted by BlackJack on Wed, 18/02/04 - 8:28 AM Permalink

Ok after careful consideration, and disscusion with ppl, I'm going to tweak the concept even more, and try and get away from my Pokemon style.
It will be hard, as I find all my sketches come out cartoony. Suggestions on character changes are more than welcome, I need all the help I can get.

Submitted by BlackJack on Wed, 03/03/04 - 10:30 PM Permalink

Alrighty then, the new concepts should be up this week, been really busy. Pretty much decided to stay with originals, but clean them up for polycount, dropping a pair of legs to make the final evolution bi pedal, the middle and first stage evolutions are quadrapeds.

Going to keep my style, u got to work with what u got! And going to try to get the first two evolutions out by end of the next week.

Also working on the character storyline, and the Hero concept, both which should go up with the concepts. General idea is hero found an artifact, lets him command, befriend the creature of the elemental device he has, in the case of the current creature, Earth. The creature evolves along the lines of creator or destroyer depending on what kind of life energy it is fed, Red or Blue pill like crystals left behind when monsters are destroyed. When enough of theses are collected it determines creatures powers and disposition to the world in general. But this is all still a working concept.

PLEASE any suggestions are welcome.

Submitted by FireFlight on Fri, 12/03/04 - 10:02 AM Permalink

Thats a big change from your first ones. Now it has sort of japanese sonic style.

Submitted by BlackJack on Fri, 12/03/04 - 10:26 AM Permalink

Do u like the concepts? or should I just give up?[?]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 12/03/04 - 10:46 AM Permalink

no way dont give up man - go for it!! [:D]

the first concept only has 2 legs yesh ?

i really like the last one - it looks really cool and has a bit of attitude :)

Just a quick note tho - from the second to 3rd stage doesnt look THAT different. but really cool idea man it will be a shame to see you give up!!

Submitted by BlackJack on Fri, 12/03/04 - 10:49 AM Permalink

Kool, I'll try and tweak it a bit to make evolutions a bit different, I'm so used to drawing this thing now I could knock him up in my sleep.
Shame the modeling isn't the same.

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 12/03/04 - 6:30 PM Permalink

Yeah that look really good,i like it way more than you first concept. just one question how old are you. it's just that you say you were busy with school.

Submitted by BlackJack on Fri, 12/03/04 - 8:23 PM Permalink

I'm 22, I just started the 1st year game development (art) course at the Acadamy of Interactive Entertainment (AIE)

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 12/03/04 - 9:06 PM Permalink

That character would make a sweet platform character man, i can already see him digging around the screen , throwing dirt all over the place, sratching the hell outta the enemies etc !!

and the colouring helped lots [:D) good work man

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 13/03/04 - 6:52 AM Permalink

oh ok i thought you were in high school or something.

Submitted by BlackJack on Sat, 13/03/04 - 7:24 AM Permalink

nah, just tryin to get into games, not sure if I'm gonna be good enough though.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 13/03/04 - 8:52 AM Permalink

Practice man, thats all it will take - some damn long hours and lots of dedication :) theres not one single guy i know ( that lasted long ) in the industry that didnt get there wihtuot working seriously hard at modelling / texturing for a good few months, and some even years.

A smidgen of luck does go with that too though ;) thing is not to give up hope man.

theres always going to be someone better than you - but theres only one of him and lots of possible places for you to work ;) thats the way i look at it anyways - sounds kinds corny, but provides me with what i need to keep going [:D]

Submitted by BlackJack on Mon, 15/03/04 - 8:39 AM Permalink

thanks, i just gotta gety my stuff together and bust out some kool stuff. just really busy and a little stressed

Submitted by BlackJack on Tue, 16/03/04 - 7:26 AM Permalink

hey this is prob a stupid question, but how do I render out the edge faces? or do I need a material?

Submitted by BlackJack on Tue, 16/03/04 - 9:41 AM Permalink

Thanks Inglis, but ended up using Edgemap plug.

Well here is evolution 1:

[img]http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/chaosbs/blackjack/title.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/chaosbs/blackjack/front.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/chaosbs/blackjack/top.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/chaosbs/blackjack/side.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/chaosbs/blackjack/per.jpg[/img]

Should have evolution 2 done by end of week, and hopefully 3 if I'm lucky. So what do ppl think of my first ever 3dsMAX character?

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 16/03/04 - 10:32 PM Permalink

yeah, that's very good for your first max character. I like it. [:)]

It looks like the mesh would deform nicely for game animation, and I'm sure with a good texture, something like this would come off well in a 3d platform style of game.

Well done.

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 17/03/04 - 4:10 AM Permalink

It is great, especially for your first ever max model. Just one thing about edge map plugin, it doesn't render the edges very clearly, i used to use it but Hazard told me this way:

Go into Edge sub-object level, select all your edges ( make sure ignore backfacing is is turned off ), scroll down until you find the create shape from selection button. Click that then make sure linear is checked in the box.

Now press 'h' and select the new spline shape you just created.
Click on 'renderable' and adjust the thickness which is just above (?) or below - from memory.
Now hit the render button and view your new thick and clean wired goodness

Also you can change the colour of the wire just like you would any other mesh object.

The edges will be alot clearer. and it isn't much harder.

Submitted by BlackJack on Wed, 17/03/04 - 5:07 AM Permalink

Kool thanks, I'll do that and repost em when I get number two up, which should be tonight, I'm kinda on a rool, cept for potential polycount problems

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 17/03/04 - 10:54 AM Permalink

wait wait... ur first time using max? no way

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 17/03/04 - 6:38 PM Permalink

Is it your first ever 3d character or just your first max character. THat is awesome either way. I'm just hoping it's not your first ever character cos otherwise i will be put to shame.

Posted by BlackJack on

Ok, I'm in. This is my first concepts, they need tweaking and need to work on the Good / Bad versions, but this is the general creature. Kinda a wombat thing, but not really. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
<>

Submitted by hobonation on Sat, 07/02/04 - 1:13 AM Permalink

wicked. The second one is awesome, dont change it at all! :)

Submitted by xEmilx on Sun, 08/02/04 - 5:06 AM Permalink

Nice work doode, should make for an interesting model. Looking forward to the third evolution. Does the creature have any special abilities/powers?
Have you thought much about the main character?

Submitted by BlackJack on Sun, 08/02/04 - 5:20 AM Permalink

Working on an alternate version of the creature now.

I was thinking it is a very natural creature, so no real special powers. However it is based off of a wombat, so probobly digging, and powers to do with rocks and the earth.

I have a kind of idea, for elemental god kind of things, but still concepting it.

Submitted by BlackJack on Tue, 17/02/04 - 10:53 AM Permalink

Well this is my final 3 concepts, gonna try to start modeling them and make a few coloured versions asap. I would really appreciate and advice on them.

I'm also working on there Bio's and the Hero character and should have them done by the end of the week, unless something mucks up my cosmic plans! (always the way [:)])
<>

Submitted by xEmilx on Tue, 17/02/04 - 1:00 PM Permalink

Coming along really well, great consistancy with your character. You can clearly see the evolutionary process.
I want to see the models! HURRY HURRY! :D

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 18/02/04 - 6:46 AM Permalink

i think that maybe there should be more change between the second and third evolution... by looking at the toes it seems like all you did was do a bit of rubbing out and adding...

Submitted by BlackJack on Wed, 18/02/04 - 8:28 AM Permalink

Ok after careful consideration, and disscusion with ppl, I'm going to tweak the concept even more, and try and get away from my Pokemon style.
It will be hard, as I find all my sketches come out cartoony. Suggestions on character changes are more than welcome, I need all the help I can get.

Submitted by BlackJack on Wed, 03/03/04 - 10:30 PM Permalink

Alrighty then, the new concepts should be up this week, been really busy. Pretty much decided to stay with originals, but clean them up for polycount, dropping a pair of legs to make the final evolution bi pedal, the middle and first stage evolutions are quadrapeds.

Going to keep my style, u got to work with what u got! And going to try to get the first two evolutions out by end of the next week.

Also working on the character storyline, and the Hero concept, both which should go up with the concepts. General idea is hero found an artifact, lets him command, befriend the creature of the elemental device he has, in the case of the current creature, Earth. The creature evolves along the lines of creator or destroyer depending on what kind of life energy it is fed, Red or Blue pill like crystals left behind when monsters are destroyed. When enough of theses are collected it determines creatures powers and disposition to the world in general. But this is all still a working concept.

PLEASE any suggestions are welcome.

Submitted by FireFlight on Fri, 12/03/04 - 10:02 AM Permalink

Thats a big change from your first ones. Now it has sort of japanese sonic style.

Submitted by BlackJack on Fri, 12/03/04 - 10:26 AM Permalink

Do u like the concepts? or should I just give up?[?]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 12/03/04 - 10:46 AM Permalink

no way dont give up man - go for it!! [:D]

the first concept only has 2 legs yesh ?

i really like the last one - it looks really cool and has a bit of attitude :)

Just a quick note tho - from the second to 3rd stage doesnt look THAT different. but really cool idea man it will be a shame to see you give up!!

Submitted by BlackJack on Fri, 12/03/04 - 10:49 AM Permalink

Kool, I'll try and tweak it a bit to make evolutions a bit different, I'm so used to drawing this thing now I could knock him up in my sleep.
Shame the modeling isn't the same.

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 12/03/04 - 6:30 PM Permalink

Yeah that look really good,i like it way more than you first concept. just one question how old are you. it's just that you say you were busy with school.

Submitted by BlackJack on Fri, 12/03/04 - 8:23 PM Permalink

I'm 22, I just started the 1st year game development (art) course at the Acadamy of Interactive Entertainment (AIE)

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 12/03/04 - 9:06 PM Permalink

That character would make a sweet platform character man, i can already see him digging around the screen , throwing dirt all over the place, sratching the hell outta the enemies etc !!

and the colouring helped lots [:D) good work man

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 13/03/04 - 6:52 AM Permalink

oh ok i thought you were in high school or something.

Submitted by BlackJack on Sat, 13/03/04 - 7:24 AM Permalink

nah, just tryin to get into games, not sure if I'm gonna be good enough though.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 13/03/04 - 8:52 AM Permalink

Practice man, thats all it will take - some damn long hours and lots of dedication :) theres not one single guy i know ( that lasted long ) in the industry that didnt get there wihtuot working seriously hard at modelling / texturing for a good few months, and some even years.

A smidgen of luck does go with that too though ;) thing is not to give up hope man.

theres always going to be someone better than you - but theres only one of him and lots of possible places for you to work ;) thats the way i look at it anyways - sounds kinds corny, but provides me with what i need to keep going [:D]

Submitted by BlackJack on Mon, 15/03/04 - 8:39 AM Permalink

thanks, i just gotta gety my stuff together and bust out some kool stuff. just really busy and a little stressed

Submitted by BlackJack on Tue, 16/03/04 - 7:26 AM Permalink

hey this is prob a stupid question, but how do I render out the edge faces? or do I need a material?

Submitted by BlackJack on Tue, 16/03/04 - 9:41 AM Permalink

Thanks Inglis, but ended up using Edgemap plug.

Well here is evolution 1:

[img]http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/chaosbs/blackjack/title.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/chaosbs/blackjack/front.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/chaosbs/blackjack/top.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/chaosbs/blackjack/side.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/chaosbs/blackjack/per.jpg[/img]

Should have evolution 2 done by end of week, and hopefully 3 if I'm lucky. So what do ppl think of my first ever 3dsMAX character?

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 16/03/04 - 10:32 PM Permalink

yeah, that's very good for your first max character. I like it. [:)]

It looks like the mesh would deform nicely for game animation, and I'm sure with a good texture, something like this would come off well in a 3d platform style of game.

Well done.

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 17/03/04 - 4:10 AM Permalink

It is great, especially for your first ever max model. Just one thing about edge map plugin, it doesn't render the edges very clearly, i used to use it but Hazard told me this way:

Go into Edge sub-object level, select all your edges ( make sure ignore backfacing is is turned off ), scroll down until you find the create shape from selection button. Click that then make sure linear is checked in the box.

Now press 'h' and select the new spline shape you just created.
Click on 'renderable' and adjust the thickness which is just above (?) or below - from memory.
Now hit the render button and view your new thick and clean wired goodness

Also you can change the colour of the wire just like you would any other mesh object.

The edges will be alot clearer. and it isn't much harder.

Submitted by BlackJack on Wed, 17/03/04 - 5:07 AM Permalink

Kool thanks, I'll do that and repost em when I get number two up, which should be tonight, I'm kinda on a rool, cept for potential polycount problems

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 17/03/04 - 10:54 AM Permalink

wait wait... ur first time using max? no way

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 17/03/04 - 6:38 PM Permalink

Is it your first ever 3d character or just your first max character. THat is awesome either way. I'm just hoping it's not your first ever character cos otherwise i will be put to shame.