Skip to main content

Sumea Modeller Challenge #5 Results

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on

Here are the judges for the Sumea Modeller Challenge #5 !

Chloe Antibes, Bullant Studios

#1 - Challenger #3 - JI Styles

CONCEPT : Good concept. Very cute characters.

MESH : Great efficient use of polys,

TEXTURE : Fantastic textures.

Note: Excellent work.

#2 - Challenger #4 - Mark

CONCEPT : Great character concept. Very stylized.

MESH : Excellent use of polys. It flows well on the models.

TEXTURE : Textures are a little plain although it suits the theme. Could add more detail, some highlights to bring out the gloss.

Note: Splash page could have been worked on more. Great job.

#3 - Challenger #1 - Pantmonger

CONCEPT : Very cool concept.

MESH : Great use of polygons.

TEXTURE : The textures are very plain. Could have added some highlights in certain places.

Note: Great job on the splash page.

#4 - Challenger #7 ? GoldenChocobo

CONCEPT : Interesting and cute concept.

MESH : Good use of polygons.

TEXTURE : Textures could require more detail and also colour variations.

Note: Overall nice work. Splash page could have been more dynamic.

#5 - Challenger #9 ? Hazard

CONCEPT : Fantastic concept.

MESH : Mesh could be better utilized

TEXTURE : Textures looks good , although detail could have been added on some areas and a touch of colour variations on some areas.

Note: Would have loved to see splash page.

#6 - Challenger #6 ? Shath

CONCEPT : Great concepts.

TEXTURE : Nice textures. Try to push out some more detail.

Note: I like the splash page. Although pills do not suit the target age bracket J .
Great job overall.

#7 - Challenger #7 ? Sinister

CONCEPT : Great attention to detail. Love the change of colour variation from the first and last evolution although still maintaining some of its features.

MESH : Mesh could be more efficiently used.

TEXTURE : More detail could have been added to the textures.

Note: I like the splash page. Great job overall.

#8 - Challenger #5 ? Wizenedoldman

CONCEPT : Very interesting concept.

MESH : Polys could be more utilized on smaller characters.

TEXTURE : Good textures although it could do with more contrast and different colour combinations.

Note: Nice splash page. Well done.

#9 - Challenger #8 ? Palantir

CONCEPT : Concepts are interesting. Could be more imaginative.

MESH : Good mesh. Although could streamline the poly count on some of the models.

TEXTURE : Would have loved to see the rest of the models textures.

Note: Great splash page. Good job.

#10 - Challenger #2 ? Doyle

CONCEPT : Cool concept although could be more developed.

MESH : Decent amount mesh.

TEXTURE : Textures could have a lot more detail put into them.

Note: Would have loved to see the splash page.

Note to all: Very good work all round but make sure for next time that you take close note of the guidelines, very few actually for filled all of the requirements. If this were to be strictly judged some entries would certainly have been rejected. That aside I had great pleasure in watching the development of this body of work and you should all be proud,

Cheers,

Chloe Antibes.
Bullant Studios

Alister Lockhart, Tantalus

Tried to judge mainly on the idea, the design of the characters as a set, and primarily the marketability of the concept, as I see it. In a couple of cases I may have been swayed by supererior presentation, but I feel that's appropriate, as this is what marketing is all about.

My votes for the challenge are as follows

First 'JI Styles'- Great characters, slick and stylish, evolution well thought out.

Second 'Golden Chocobo'- Nice character pairing, appropriate to market, well thought out.

Third 'Mug-el' (Mark)- Quirky and fun, great style and evolution.

Fourth 'Pantmonger'- Interesting character, if a little abstract. Nice style.

Fifth 'Palantir'- Nice 'de-evolution' twis. Appealing, well thought out idea.

Sixth 'Hazard'- Nice idea, although not sure how appealing fish are. But, good pairing, nice design.

Seventh 'Shath'- Cool looking character, but looks more like an equal than a sidekick. Evolution idea could have been more fully explored.

Eighth 'Sinister'- Interesting character pairing, but evolution of sidekick takes odd leaps.

Ninth 'Wizenoldman'- Character lacks personality, idea not well developed.

Tenth 'Doyle'- Quirky idea but lacks personality and let down by incomplete presentation.

Steve Stamatiadis, (Creative Director) Krome Studios

1. Challenger #7 - GoldenChocobo
2. Challenger #3 - JI Styles
3. Challenger #1 - Pantmonger
4. Challenger #9 - Hazard
5. Challenger #8 - Palantir
6. Challenger #4 - Mark
7. Challenger #6 - Shath
8. Challenger #2 - Doyle
9. Challenger #10 - Sinister
10. Challenger #5 - Wizenedoldman

For the record my highest criteria from the brief was "Create a marketable sidekick character ". Then I went for interesting ideas. As usual the submissions were mostly of a very high standard.

Benjamin Lee, (Art Director) Irrational Games

Challenger #3 - JI Styles (best)
Challenger #1 - Pantmonger (2nd best)
Challenger #7 - GoldenChocobo (3rd best)

The Results

1. JI Styles
2. Mark
3. Pantmonger
4. Goldenchocobo
5. Hazard
6. Shath
7. Sinister
8. Wizenedoldman
9. Palantir
10. Doyle

1. JI Styles
2. Goldenchocobo
3. Mark
4. Pantmonger
5. Palantir
6. Hazard
7. Shath
8. Sinister
9. Wizenedoldman
10. Doyle

1. GoldenChocobo
2. JI Styles
3. Pantmonger
4. Hazard
5. Palantir
6. Mark
7. Shath
8. Doyle
9. Sinister
10. Wizenedoldman

Steve Stamatiadis, Krome Studios

Benjamin Lee, Irrational Games

1st Challenger #3 - JI Styles 10,10,9,*10 =29 =*39 points
2nd Challenger #7 - GoldenChocobo 7,9,10,*8 =26 =*34 points
3rd Challenger #1 - Pantmonger 8,7,8,*9 =23 =*31 points
4th Challenger #4 - Mark 9,8,5 =22 points
5th Challenger #9 - Hazard 6,5,7 =18 points
6th Challenger #8 - Palantir 2,6,6 =14 points
7th Challenger #6 - Shath 5,4,4 =13 points
8th Challenger #10 - Sinister 4,3,2 =9 points
9th Challenger #5 - Wizenedoldman 3,2,1 =6 points
10th Challenger #2 - Doyle 1,1,3 =5 points

Huge thanks to the judges for squeazing in some of their time to do the judging for this comp - I know it was extremely hard to find the time due to e3, travelling, moving locations etc... everyone here really does appreciate your time.

A massive thanks also go to the challenge sponsors. Bullant Studios generously offering the very cool WACOM INTUOS II 6x8" (USB) tablet, Hyperfocal Design sponsoring the challenge with Hyperfocal Skies (valued at $179 US), and Discreet for their merchandise.

1st prize goes to JI Styles
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeachallenge/modeller5/SC5_C3-JIStyles_SP.jpg…]
He gets:

WACOM INTUOS II 6x8" (USB) tablet - Sponsored by Bullant Studios!
Discreet Alluminium water bottle (these are really cool, btw.. robust, metal, and shiny )
Discreet T-shirt (choice of two different types)

2nd Prize goes to GoldenChocobo:
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeachallenge/modeller5/SC5_C7-GChocobo_SP.jpg…]
GoldenChocobo gets:
Texture set from Hyperfocal Design called Hyperfocal Skies. It has a value of $179 US!!
Discreet Alluminium water bottle

3rd Prize goes to Pantmonger for:
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeachallenge/modeller5/SC5_C1-Pantmonger_SP.j…]
Pantmonger gets...
GDC 2003 show real and client profiles DVD from Discreet - features work from acclaim, blizzard, capcom, robot, infogrames, sega etc... around 29 studios, so there's tonnes of work there!!
Sumea T-shirt

Congratulations, and I'll be contacting you guys shortly for your postal addresses and shirt sizes and types (I'll post the two kinds of Discreet shirts tonight so you can choose which one you'd like). And thanks to all the challengers for taking part!

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 02/06/04 - 1:17 AM Permalink

congrats! JI and to all the other entrants, the standard was awesome. Great job to all the entrants it was a pleasue jus to see the work that came out.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 02/06/04 - 1:40 AM Permalink

Well done JI! GoldenChocobo & Pants!

Thanks to all the judges!!! and all the entrants for a great competition!!!

Whens the next one! [:P]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 02/06/04 - 1:45 AM Permalink

congrats to all the winners :) enjoy your swag :P

Submitted by RasTuS on Wed, 02/06/04 - 6:55 AM Permalink

congrad to all the winners and ppl that entered but 1 thing

"I like the splash page. Although pills do not suit the target age bracket J ."

about the pills.. although i did not follow the comp that much but wern't pills in the breefing. i stoped reading the stuff after thant and just skimmed through it so not sure if some1 else pointed it out

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 02/06/04 - 6:59 AM Permalink

Congrats joel, pants and Golden Chockies and all the other entrants. keep up the great work [:)] looking forward to seeing the next challenge. Well done once again...

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 02/06/04 - 7:05 AM Permalink

Congrats to the winners :)

Submitted by denz on Wed, 02/06/04 - 7:37 AM Permalink

congrats to everyone, some nice entries in there [:)] can't wait for the next comp [:D]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 02/06/04 - 7:52 AM Permalink

hey joel, can I borrow your tablet for a few months :D

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 02/06/04 - 9:39 AM Permalink

Congrats to all 3 of you guys!!
Also thanks to the judges for their time and Bullant of course for the great prizes.

Pants, I'm a Medium [:P]

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 02/06/04 - 7:48 PM Permalink

Congrats to everyone who managed to finish it, and even more congrats to the three winners. Way to go :)

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 02/06/04 - 10:58 PM Permalink

Thanks to the judges for their time and helpful criticism, and also a big thankyou to Souri and mods for organising such a cool event! [:)]

And of course, congratulations to the winners, you guys all did a great job!

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 03/06/04 - 5:32 AM Permalink

I've put this off a little, and I've felt a bit guilty about it because of lack of time, so I'm sitting down while I have some of that elusive time, and writing out my expression of gratitude [:)] I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that it's a fantastic thing to have this community, and to have the people in it which give so much support.

Big big thankyous to Bullant for again sponsoring the sumea modeller challenge, and continuing to show such great support for the Australian industry - as well as a huge thankyou to Souri (aka "the man") for putting up with us all, and organising these events. We all realise how big of a headache it is to organise and arrange these things, and everyone really appreciates the time and effort that gets put in.

P.S. is anyone interested in a cheapy 5"x4" acecad tablet with a long crack up the middle, a smiley face drawn in with marker in the upper right corner, and the stylus held togethor with sticky tape? It's lasted me this long, it's a little soldier [:D]

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Thu, 03/06/04 - 7:54 AM Permalink

Congrats to JI, this was a great competition as it really pushed me into learning to texture. Can't wait for the next one! I'm hoping for a hi-poly challenge.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 03/06/04 - 4:15 PM Permalink

Just a quick note to say thanks to everyone who makes these comps possible, from the sponsors to the site, from JonathanKerrs idea to everyone who made it happen by participating.
Thanks
Oh and another quick note, first comp in five that I didn?t come smack in the centre, woot :P

Pantmonger

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 03/06/04 - 9:09 PM Permalink

It seems I've filled those boots pants [:P]

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 03/06/04 - 11:14 PM Permalink

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but I can't find it. What are the three judging categories? Is it texture, mesh, concept?

So for example, did J.I.Styles(10, 10, 9) get the 9 for the concept and 10's for the mesh and texture, or is the 9 for the texture or something?

Er, I hope I'm making sense..

Submitted by shath on Fri, 04/06/04 - 9:11 AM Permalink

big congrat's to ji ari and pants they where awsome entry's

but im just a bit shocked that Palantir beet me :)
oh well
thanks to souri and all the judges

Submitted by Goldenchocobo on Fri, 04/06/04 - 9:32 AM Permalink

Thanks to all the judges for there time and crits.
Thanks Souri for running such a fine competition and having such an awesome net community for all us gamers and like to hang.
Thanks everyone for all the congrats.
thanks all those who entered, I hope everbody learned something in the process.
And Congrats to JIStyles and Pants for there victory:)

palantir: To me it look like a score that is given based off the position each judge place everyone.10 points for first and 1 point for tenth.

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 04/06/04 - 11:16 AM Permalink

Oh right, 3 judges, so 3 scores. I see. [:I] Silly me!

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 04/06/04 - 10:06 PM Permalink

Well done Joel, and every one which made it to the end of this huge challenge. Here's hoping the next will be on the way soon!!!

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 05/06/04 - 12:49 AM Permalink

Modeller Challenge 6! Modeller Challenge 6! [:P]

Submitted by souri on Sun, 06/06/04 - 1:01 AM Permalink

I've sent the prizes off last Thursday, so you 3 should get them early to mid next week sometime. I've emailed your postal address (Joel) to Ross at Bullant Studios, so hopefully he's read it and sent off the wacom as well.

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 06/06/04 - 1:43 AM Permalink

shath: Yeah, I'm also shocked that I beat you! I thought your entry kicked arse! In fact I'm very surprised that I didn't come dead last. I suppose the concept, and how well it fits the brief, must have a lot to do with the results (because the concept was about all I had going for me![:D]).

Submitted by shath on Sun, 06/06/04 - 6:46 AM Permalink

thanks palantir, yeah i realised that my concept wasn't all that original and the pill idea wasn't a good idea and the judges desition is final, so whens the next comp

Submitted by animal on Mon, 07/06/04 - 8:10 AM Permalink

well done JI Styles, your work was great and your poster was the best one think. Have fun with the new tablet. It seems designs with wings did quite well for some reason. I hope I can find time to join in the next comp.

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 08/06/04 - 5:06 AM Permalink

woohoo! I got a discreet 3dsmax 6 "Blow Me" shirt and another discreet water bottle to add to my collection (a whopping 2 now! ) in the mail today [:D]

Prizes are great to get - they give me that warm fuzzy feeling as I carry them around in the big postal package that Souri used; getting glances from people as I go by, I'm sure they're wondering what could possibly be in it. Most probably think it's a bomb though, judging from some of the peoples expressions [:)]

Now I'm just hanging out for that tablet -- my old one seems to die for longer periods of time nowadays, so I'm extra excited about it [:)]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 08/06/04 - 10:19 AM Permalink

damn you and your prizes!!

*kicks joels shin*

Posted by souri on

Here are the judges for the Sumea Modeller Challenge #5 !

#1 - Challenger #3 - JI Styles

CONCEPT : Good concept. Very cute characters.

MESH : Great efficient use of polys,

TEXTURE : Fantastic textures.

Note: Excellent work.

#2 - Challenger #4 - Mark

CONCEPT : Great character concept. Very stylized.

MESH : Excellent use of polys. It flows well on the models.

TEXTURE : Textures are a little plain although it suits the theme. Could add more detail, some highlights to bring out the gloss.

Note: Splash page could have been worked on more. Great job.

#3 - Challenger #1 - Pantmonger

CONCEPT : Very cool concept.

MESH : Great use of polygons.

TEXTURE : The textures are very plain. Could have added some highlights in certain places.

Note: Great job on the splash page.

#4 - Challenger #7 ? GoldenChocobo

CONCEPT : Interesting and cute concept.

TEXTURE : Textures could require more detail and also colour variations.

Note: Overall nice work. Splash page could have been more dynamic.

#5 - Challenger #9 ? Hazard

CONCEPT : Fantastic concept.

MESH : Mesh could be better utilized

TEXTURE : Textures looks good , although detail could have been added on some areas and a touch of colour variations on some areas.

Note: Would have loved to see splash page.

#6 - Challenger #6 ? Shath

CONCEPT : Great concepts.

TEXTURE : Nice textures. Try to push out some more detail.

Note: I like the splash page. Although pills do not suit the target age bracket J .
Great job overall.

#7 - Challenger #7 ? Sinister

CONCEPT : Great attention to detail. Love the change of colour variation from the first and last evolution although still maintaining some of its features.

MESH : Mesh could be more efficiently used.

TEXTURE : More detail could have been added to the textures.

Note: I like the splash page. Great job overall.

#8 - Challenger #5 ? Wizenedoldman

CONCEPT : Very interesting concept.

MESH : Polys could be more utilized on smaller characters.

TEXTURE : Good textures although it could do with more contrast and different colour combinations.

Note: Nice splash page. Well done.

#9 - Challenger #8 ? Palantir

CONCEPT : Concepts are interesting. Could be more imaginative.

MESH : Good mesh. Although could streamline the poly count on some of the models.

TEXTURE : Would have loved to see the rest of the models textures.

Note: Great splash page. Good job.

#10 - Challenger #2 ? Doyle

CONCEPT : Cool concept although could be more developed.

MESH : Decent amount mesh.

TEXTURE : Textures could have a lot more detail put into them.

Note: Would have loved to see the splash page.

Note to all: Very good work all round but make sure for next time that you take close note of the guidelines, very few actually for filled all of the requirements. If this were to be strictly judged some entries would certainly have been rejected. That aside I had great pleasure in watching the development of this body of work and you should all be proud,

Cheers,

Chloe Antibes.
Bullant Studios

Tried to judge mainly on the idea, the design of the characters as a set, and primarily the marketability of the concept, as I see it. In a couple of cases I may have been swayed by supererior presentation, but I feel that's appropriate, as this is what marketing is all about.

My votes for the challenge are as follows

First 'JI Styles'- Great characters, slick and stylish, evolution well thought out.

Second 'Golden Chocobo'- Nice character pairing, appropriate to market, well thought out.

Third 'Mug-el' (Mark)- Quirky and fun, great style and evolution.

Fourth 'Pantmonger'- Interesting character, if a little abstract. Nice style.

Fifth 'Palantir'- Nice 'de-evolution' twis. Appealing, well thought out idea.

Sixth 'Hazard'- Nice idea, although not sure how appealing fish are. But, good pairing, nice design.

Seventh 'Shath'- Cool looking character, but looks more like an equal than a sidekick. Evolution idea could have been more fully explored.

Eighth 'Sinister'- Interesting character pairing, but evolution of sidekick takes odd leaps.

Ninth 'Wizenoldman'- Character lacks personality, idea not well developed.

Tenth 'Doyle'- Quirky idea but lacks personality and let down by incomplete presentation.

Steve Stamatiadis, (Creative Director) Krome Studios

1. Challenger #7 - GoldenChocobo
2. Challenger #3 - JI Styles
3. Challenger #1 - Pantmonger
4. Challenger #9 - Hazard
5. Challenger #8 - Palantir
6. Challenger #4 - Mark
7. Challenger #6 - Shath
8. Challenger #2 - Doyle
9. Challenger #10 - Sinister
10. Challenger #5 - Wizenedoldman

For the record my highest criteria from the brief was "Create a marketable sidekick character ". Then I went for interesting ideas. As usual the submissions were mostly of a very high standard.

Benjamin Lee, (Art Director) Irrational Games

The Results

1. JI Styles
2. Mark
3. Pantmonger
4. Goldenchocobo
5. Hazard
6. Shath
7. Sinister
8. Wizenedoldman
9. Palantir
10. Doyle

1. JI Styles
2. Goldenchocobo
3. Mark
4. Pantmonger
5. Palantir
6. Hazard
7. Shath
8. Sinister
9. Wizenedoldman
10. Doyle

1. GoldenChocobo
2. JI Styles
3. Pantmonger
4. Hazard
5. Palantir
6. Mark
7. Shath
8. Doyle
9. Sinister
10. Wizenedoldman

Steve Stamatiadis, Krome Studios

Benjamin Lee, Irrational Games

1st Challenger #3 - JI Styles 10,10,9,*10 =29 =*39 points
2nd Challenger #7 - GoldenChocobo 7,9,10,*8 =26 =*34 points
3rd Challenger #1 - Pantmonger 8,7,8,*9 =23 =*31 points
4th Challenger #4 - Mark 9,8,5 =22 points
5th Challenger #9 - Hazard 6,5,7 =18 points
6th Challenger #8 - Palantir 2,6,6 =14 points
7th Challenger #6 - Shath 5,4,4 =13 points
8th Challenger #10 - Sinister 4,3,2 =9 points
9th Challenger #5 - Wizenedoldman 3,2,1 =6 points
10th Challenger #2 - Doyle 1,1,3 =5 points

Huge thanks to the judges for squeazing in some of their time to do the judging for this comp - I know it was extremely hard to find the time due to e3, travelling, moving locations etc... everyone here really does appreciate your time.

A massive thanks also go to the challenge sponsors. Bullant Studios generously offering the very cool WACOM INTUOS II 6x8" (USB) tablet, Hyperfocal Design sponsoring the challenge with Hyperfocal Skies (valued at $179 US), and Discreet for their merchandise.

1st prize goes to JI Styles
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeachallenge/modeller5/SC5_C3-JIStyles_SP.jpg…]
He gets:

WACOM INTUOS II 6x8" (USB) tablet - Sponsored by Bullant Studios!
Discreet Alluminium water bottle (these are really cool, btw.. robust, metal, and shiny )

2nd Prize goes to GoldenChocobo:
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeachallenge/modeller5/SC5_C7-GChocobo_SP.jpg…]
GoldenChocobo gets:
Texture set from Hyperfocal Design called Hyperfocal Skies. It has a value of $179 US!!

3rd Prize goes to Pantmonger for:
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeachallenge/modeller5/SC5_C1-Pantmonger_SP.j…]
Pantmonger gets...
GDC 2003 show real and client profiles DVD from Discreet - features work from acclaim, blizzard, capcom, robot, infogrames, sega etc... around 29 studios, so there's tonnes of work there!!
Sumea T-shirt

Congratulations, and I'll be contacting you guys shortly for your postal addresses and shirt sizes and types (I'll post the two kinds of Discreet shirts tonight so you can choose which one you'd like). And thanks to all the challengers for taking part!

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 02/06/04 - 1:17 AM Permalink

congrats! JI and to all the other entrants, the standard was awesome. Great job to all the entrants it was a pleasue jus to see the work that came out.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 02/06/04 - 1:40 AM Permalink

Well done JI! GoldenChocobo & Pants!

Thanks to all the judges!!! and all the entrants for a great competition!!!

Whens the next one! [:P]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 02/06/04 - 1:45 AM Permalink

congrats to all the winners :) enjoy your swag :P

Submitted by RasTuS on Wed, 02/06/04 - 6:55 AM Permalink

congrad to all the winners and ppl that entered but 1 thing

"I like the splash page. Although pills do not suit the target age bracket J ."

about the pills.. although i did not follow the comp that much but wern't pills in the breefing. i stoped reading the stuff after thant and just skimmed through it so not sure if some1 else pointed it out

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 02/06/04 - 6:59 AM Permalink

Congrats joel, pants and Golden Chockies and all the other entrants. keep up the great work [:)] looking forward to seeing the next challenge. Well done once again...

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 02/06/04 - 7:05 AM Permalink

Congrats to the winners :)

Submitted by denz on Wed, 02/06/04 - 7:37 AM Permalink

congrats to everyone, some nice entries in there [:)] can't wait for the next comp [:D]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 02/06/04 - 7:52 AM Permalink

hey joel, can I borrow your tablet for a few months :D

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 02/06/04 - 9:39 AM Permalink

Congrats to all 3 of you guys!!
Also thanks to the judges for their time and Bullant of course for the great prizes.

Pants, I'm a Medium [:P]

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 02/06/04 - 7:48 PM Permalink

Congrats to everyone who managed to finish it, and even more congrats to the three winners. Way to go :)

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 02/06/04 - 10:58 PM Permalink

Thanks to the judges for their time and helpful criticism, and also a big thankyou to Souri and mods for organising such a cool event! [:)]

And of course, congratulations to the winners, you guys all did a great job!

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 03/06/04 - 5:32 AM Permalink

I've put this off a little, and I've felt a bit guilty about it because of lack of time, so I'm sitting down while I have some of that elusive time, and writing out my expression of gratitude [:)] I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that it's a fantastic thing to have this community, and to have the people in it which give so much support.

Big big thankyous to Bullant for again sponsoring the sumea modeller challenge, and continuing to show such great support for the Australian industry - as well as a huge thankyou to Souri (aka "the man") for putting up with us all, and organising these events. We all realise how big of a headache it is to organise and arrange these things, and everyone really appreciates the time and effort that gets put in.

P.S. is anyone interested in a cheapy 5"x4" acecad tablet with a long crack up the middle, a smiley face drawn in with marker in the upper right corner, and the stylus held togethor with sticky tape? It's lasted me this long, it's a little soldier [:D]

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Thu, 03/06/04 - 7:54 AM Permalink

Congrats to JI, this was a great competition as it really pushed me into learning to texture. Can't wait for the next one! I'm hoping for a hi-poly challenge.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 03/06/04 - 4:15 PM Permalink

Just a quick note to say thanks to everyone who makes these comps possible, from the sponsors to the site, from JonathanKerrs idea to everyone who made it happen by participating.
Thanks
Oh and another quick note, first comp in five that I didn?t come smack in the centre, woot :P

Pantmonger

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 03/06/04 - 9:09 PM Permalink

It seems I've filled those boots pants [:P]

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 03/06/04 - 11:14 PM Permalink

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but I can't find it. What are the three judging categories? Is it texture, mesh, concept?

So for example, did J.I.Styles(10, 10, 9) get the 9 for the concept and 10's for the mesh and texture, or is the 9 for the texture or something?

Er, I hope I'm making sense..

Submitted by shath on Fri, 04/06/04 - 9:11 AM Permalink

big congrat's to ji ari and pants they where awsome entry's

but im just a bit shocked that Palantir beet me :)
oh well
thanks to souri and all the judges

Submitted by Goldenchocobo on Fri, 04/06/04 - 9:32 AM Permalink

Thanks to all the judges for there time and crits.
Thanks Souri for running such a fine competition and having such an awesome net community for all us gamers and like to hang.
Thanks everyone for all the congrats.
thanks all those who entered, I hope everbody learned something in the process.
And Congrats to JIStyles and Pants for there victory:)

palantir: To me it look like a score that is given based off the position each judge place everyone.10 points for first and 1 point for tenth.

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 04/06/04 - 11:16 AM Permalink

Oh right, 3 judges, so 3 scores. I see. [:I] Silly me!

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 04/06/04 - 10:06 PM Permalink

Well done Joel, and every one which made it to the end of this huge challenge. Here's hoping the next will be on the way soon!!!

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 05/06/04 - 12:49 AM Permalink

Modeller Challenge 6! Modeller Challenge 6! [:P]

Submitted by souri on Sun, 06/06/04 - 1:01 AM Permalink

I've sent the prizes off last Thursday, so you 3 should get them early to mid next week sometime. I've emailed your postal address (Joel) to Ross at Bullant Studios, so hopefully he's read it and sent off the wacom as well.

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 06/06/04 - 1:43 AM Permalink

shath: Yeah, I'm also shocked that I beat you! I thought your entry kicked arse! In fact I'm very surprised that I didn't come dead last. I suppose the concept, and how well it fits the brief, must have a lot to do with the results (because the concept was about all I had going for me![:D]).

Submitted by shath on Sun, 06/06/04 - 6:46 AM Permalink

thanks palantir, yeah i realised that my concept wasn't all that original and the pill idea wasn't a good idea and the judges desition is final, so whens the next comp

Submitted by animal on Mon, 07/06/04 - 8:10 AM Permalink

well done JI Styles, your work was great and your poster was the best one think. Have fun with the new tablet. It seems designs with wings did quite well for some reason. I hope I can find time to join in the next comp.

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 08/06/04 - 5:06 AM Permalink

woohoo! I got a discreet 3dsmax 6 "Blow Me" shirt and another discreet water bottle to add to my collection (a whopping 2 now! ) in the mail today [:D]

Prizes are great to get - they give me that warm fuzzy feeling as I carry them around in the big postal package that Souri used; getting glances from people as I go by, I'm sure they're wondering what could possibly be in it. Most probably think it's a bomb though, judging from some of the peoples expressions [:)]

Now I'm just hanging out for that tablet -- my old one seems to die for longer periods of time nowadays, so I'm extra excited about it [:)]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 08/06/04 - 10:19 AM Permalink

damn you and your prizes!!

*kicks joels shin*