Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #4 -3D- 'Mark' - Challenger #11

Submitted by Piss Poor on

hey guys,
here is the concept for my first shot at a sumea challenge
though i�m sure i�ll end up making a few tweaks to it yet,
[img]http://binarystorm.exordium.net/demon1.jpg[/img]

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 01/08/03 - 5:52 PM Permalink

He looks a little rastafarian [:)]. That spike in his arm looks pretty cool.

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 01/08/03 - 7:14 PM Permalink

Nice concept man [:D] i cant wait to see him modelled and textured........... Man so many people entering this one !!!! it will be so good because everyones concept is so different and im pretty sure this time everyone will finish it.......... [:D]

Oh well tuff cookies for me dunno if im gonna enter yet.......[:(]

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 01/08/03 - 7:30 PM Permalink

By far the one a like the most (so far) nice work.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 01/08/03 - 8:49 PM Permalink

Good stuff - the dreads are a excellent distinguishing characteristic. Cool pose for the pic - if you silhouetted it, you'd still be able to identify it by pose nicely.

Distinctive.

Only thing about the spear is that maybe the blade should begin a bit earlier - it looks like he's limited to elbow strikes, which kinda defeats the point of a spearing weapon. Looks cool tho.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 01/08/03 - 9:31 PM Permalink

Ahah!! Nice job man, glad to see you entered.

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 02/08/03 - 8:54 AM Permalink

awesome :)
really like this concept.

Submitted by Piss Poor on Sun, 03/08/03 - 7:13 AM Permalink

thanks everyone for the encouraging feedback, i was thinking of giving the concept a little more detail as far as jewellery, to give him more of a sense of authority (in the tribal style that i was trying to achieve) but i was worried about crossing that fine line of too much.
i?ve only just started modelling and haven?t done a great deal of low poly modelling, so i?ll keep you guys posted on my progress.

cheers Mark

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sun, 03/08/03 - 8:06 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Piss_Poor

thanks everyone for the encouraging feedback, i was thinking of giving the concept a little more detail as far as jewellery, to give him more of a sense of authority (in the tribal style that i was trying to achieve) but i was worried about crossing that fine line of too much.

cheers Mark

You could give him some sort of beaded necklace - like the sort that Native American Indians wear (with long tube beads, interspersed with round beads). I'd go for anything except human skulls (but that's just a personal preference).

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 11/08/03 - 9:46 PM Permalink

I like those hands so far. Looking good!

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Tue, 12/08/03 - 12:15 AM Permalink

Cool. The hands are great. It's a nicely shaped base - I'm looking forward to seeing the details take shape!

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 12/08/03 - 4:45 AM Permalink

Thats a really good start man, what are you going to do with the mouth?
I'd suggest modelling the teeth and inner mouth and using planes for the sides of the mouth that have the sinewy bits, hes not going to need much exessive detail anywhere else and his face holds alot of his character, also try model some of those dreads if you have the polys. [:)].

Submitted by Piss Poor on Tue, 12/08/03 - 9:34 PM Permalink

i have still got a but of cleaning up to do (mainly the number of 5 sided polys all around the model)
dean i think your right about the mouth and teeth, and i was going to do it like that butin the end decided that i wanted the detail elsewhere. (but kinda regret it )
for the muscles over the teeth on the jaw i have pieces that i plan to alpha map i but took them off for this shot because they don?t give the affect yet, un-textured.

the model is 3430 tris in total

cheers mark

[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mfilippelli/pic2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mfilippelli/pic1.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 12/08/03 - 10:46 PM Permalink

Great work man.
Its an interesting design design that also has quite a unique silohoutte (dunno if I spelled that right!)
Looking forward to seeing it finished :)

Submitted by Ionized on Sat, 16/08/03 - 1:35 AM Permalink

Thats a good weighty pose. I find it's good to model in a pose like that from the outset. I hope your going to model more detail in though. Your concept is very nice too, you need to do it justice!

Submitted by SHaRD on Sun, 17/08/03 - 3:14 AM Permalink

nice design, he has great character

Submitted by Piss Poor on Sat, 23/08/03 - 1:35 AM Permalink

here is the final model, weighing in at a cool 3500 tris (ended up cutting that pretty fine[:)])
big thanks to Dean(malus) for showing me how to get a better structure that enabled me to get the detail i wanted in the face, especially the mouth, as well as it deforms a lot better after applying it to a test rig

[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mfilippelli/demondude01.jpg[/img]
[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mfilippelli/demondude02.jpg[/img]

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 23/08/03 - 1:41 AM Permalink

nice job indeed. bring on some texture.

Submitted by Ninja on Sun, 24/08/03 - 2:04 AM Permalink

Now that is an awesome model !!!! the face is modelled quite nicely and very good proportions..... nice work !!

Submitted by Kane on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:44 PM Permalink

WOW!

I know basically nought about art, 3D modelling and character design etc. etc. and I'm a programmer, but I have looked at all the other ideas before this one, and it rocks!

hehe...Bob Gnarley

Very mondo!

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 27/08/03 - 1:23 AM Permalink

Looks great....now texture it!!

:)

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 27/08/03 - 6:46 PM Permalink

Looking good man,

I think you could still cull a few polys in the face (teeth, lower jaw)then use those to add more detail to his thighs and shins.

Glad to see my comments helped. [:)]

Can't wait to see it textured.

Submitted by trankillity on Mon, 01/09/03 - 1:27 AM Permalink

Looking great man.

One query though... How much is he going to be doing with his hands? Because you could redeem a few polys if you, say connected 2 of his fingers and made generic fake hands (I know they look horrible but more polys to work with).

Submitted by goodgod on Thu, 11/09/03 - 11:33 AM Permalink

He looks more like a comic villain, rather than a demonic dark lord.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 11/09/03 - 6:50 PM Permalink

It never stated the darklord had to be hyper-realistic, nasty. I was hoping someone would do a chibi darklord myself. [:P]

Submitted by JD on Mon, 22/09/03 - 8:21 AM Permalink

Nicely done Mark!! Has some real character that one. Can't wait to see the texture you give him! :)

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 25/09/03 - 9:47 AM Permalink

wow, what material are the backhand blades ment to be, if there are bone then some of the orthographic edges might want to be smoother a bit...

but great amount of character, with such great articulation of form for the head and torso, surprised you didn't make bits of the arms/ legs thicker and thinner...

DSC

Submitted by Ionized on Thu, 25/09/03 - 8:34 PM Permalink

Nice model man.

You might want to add more polys into the loincloth if your going to put him in a dynamic pose. The ammount you have there wont belivably look like cloth. It seems you had a good number in there originally, but took them out when you optimised him.

Anyway, it's looking great, it has a very warcraft feel about him. I guess it's the exaggerate proportions. Great work!!

Submitted by Piss Poor on Fri, 26/09/03 - 8:04 AM Permalink

the blades are being textured as rusty steel i haven?t finished the texture just yet, haven?t really been working on it i?ve been animating him (thats what i enjoy the most:)

as for the loin cloth there is a lot about the shape of the first model that i like better then the final one but i needed the polys elsewhere so i had to make the sacrifice but i have animated it in a run cycle and it works pretty well really so i?m happy that?s what i made it for:)

i am actually very nearly finished it so it will defiantly be done by this weekend

Posted by Piss Poor on

hey guys,
here is the concept for my first shot at a sumea challenge
though i�m sure i�ll end up making a few tweaks to it yet,
[img]http://binarystorm.exordium.net/demon1.jpg[/img]

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 01/08/03 - 5:52 PM Permalink

He looks a little rastafarian [:)]. That spike in his arm looks pretty cool.

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 01/08/03 - 7:14 PM Permalink

Nice concept man [:D] i cant wait to see him modelled and textured........... Man so many people entering this one !!!! it will be so good because everyones concept is so different and im pretty sure this time everyone will finish it.......... [:D]

Oh well tuff cookies for me dunno if im gonna enter yet.......[:(]

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 01/08/03 - 7:30 PM Permalink

By far the one a like the most (so far) nice work.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 01/08/03 - 8:49 PM Permalink

Good stuff - the dreads are a excellent distinguishing characteristic. Cool pose for the pic - if you silhouetted it, you'd still be able to identify it by pose nicely.

Distinctive.

Only thing about the spear is that maybe the blade should begin a bit earlier - it looks like he's limited to elbow strikes, which kinda defeats the point of a spearing weapon. Looks cool tho.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 01/08/03 - 9:31 PM Permalink

Ahah!! Nice job man, glad to see you entered.

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 02/08/03 - 8:54 AM Permalink

awesome :)
really like this concept.

Submitted by Piss Poor on Sun, 03/08/03 - 7:13 AM Permalink

i?ve only just started modelling and haven?t done a great deal of low poly modelling, so i?ll keep you guys posted on my progress.

cheers Mark

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sun, 03/08/03 - 8:06 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Piss_Poor

cheers Mark

You could give him some sort of beaded necklace - like the sort that Native American Indians wear (with long tube beads, interspersed with round beads). I'd go for anything except human skulls (but that's just a personal preference).

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 11/08/03 - 9:46 PM Permalink

I like those hands so far. Looking good!

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Tue, 12/08/03 - 12:15 AM Permalink

Cool. The hands are great. It's a nicely shaped base - I'm looking forward to seeing the details take shape!

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 12/08/03 - 4:45 AM Permalink

Thats a really good start man, what are you going to do with the mouth?
I'd suggest modelling the teeth and inner mouth and using planes for the sides of the mouth that have the sinewy bits, hes not going to need much exessive detail anywhere else and his face holds alot of his character, also try model some of those dreads if you have the polys. [:)].

Submitted by Piss Poor on Tue, 12/08/03 - 9:34 PM Permalink

i have still got a but of cleaning up to do (mainly the number of 5 sided polys all around the model)
dean i think your right about the mouth and teeth, and i was going to do it like that butin the end decided that i wanted the detail elsewhere. (but kinda regret it )
for the muscles over the teeth on the jaw i have pieces that i plan to alpha map i but took them off for this shot because they don?t give the affect yet, un-textured.

the model is 3430 tris in total

cheers mark

[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mfilippelli/pic2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mfilippelli/pic1.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 12/08/03 - 10:46 PM Permalink

Great work man.
Its an interesting design design that also has quite a unique silohoutte (dunno if I spelled that right!)
Looking forward to seeing it finished :)

Submitted by Ionized on Sat, 16/08/03 - 1:35 AM Permalink

Thats a good weighty pose. I find it's good to model in a pose like that from the outset. I hope your going to model more detail in though. Your concept is very nice too, you need to do it justice!

Submitted by SHaRD on Sun, 17/08/03 - 3:14 AM Permalink

nice design, he has great character

Submitted by Piss Poor on Sat, 23/08/03 - 1:35 AM Permalink

here is the final model, weighing in at a cool 3500 tris (ended up cutting that pretty fine[:)])
big thanks to Dean(malus) for showing me how to get a better structure that enabled me to get the detail i wanted in the face, especially the mouth, as well as it deforms a lot better after applying it to a test rig

[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mfilippelli/demondude01.jpg[/img]
[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mfilippelli/demondude02.jpg[/img]

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 23/08/03 - 1:41 AM Permalink

nice job indeed. bring on some texture.

Submitted by Ninja on Sun, 24/08/03 - 2:04 AM Permalink

Now that is an awesome model !!!! the face is modelled quite nicely and very good proportions..... nice work !!

Submitted by Kane on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:44 PM Permalink

WOW!

I know basically nought about art, 3D modelling and character design etc. etc. and I'm a programmer, but I have looked at all the other ideas before this one, and it rocks!

hehe...Bob Gnarley

Very mondo!

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 27/08/03 - 1:23 AM Permalink

Looks great....now texture it!!

:)

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 27/08/03 - 6:46 PM Permalink

Looking good man,

I think you could still cull a few polys in the face (teeth, lower jaw)then use those to add more detail to his thighs and shins.

Glad to see my comments helped. [:)]

Can't wait to see it textured.

Submitted by trankillity on Mon, 01/09/03 - 1:27 AM Permalink

Looking great man.

One query though... How much is he going to be doing with his hands? Because you could redeem a few polys if you, say connected 2 of his fingers and made generic fake hands (I know they look horrible but more polys to work with).

Submitted by goodgod on Thu, 11/09/03 - 11:33 AM Permalink

He looks more like a comic villain, rather than a demonic dark lord.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 11/09/03 - 6:50 PM Permalink

It never stated the darklord had to be hyper-realistic, nasty. I was hoping someone would do a chibi darklord myself. [:P]

Submitted by JD on Mon, 22/09/03 - 8:21 AM Permalink

Nicely done Mark!! Has some real character that one. Can't wait to see the texture you give him! :)

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 25/09/03 - 9:47 AM Permalink

wow, what material are the backhand blades ment to be, if there are bone then some of the orthographic edges might want to be smoother a bit...

but great amount of character, with such great articulation of form for the head and torso, surprised you didn't make bits of the arms/ legs thicker and thinner...

DSC

Submitted by Ionized on Thu, 25/09/03 - 8:34 PM Permalink

Nice model man.

You might want to add more polys into the loincloth if your going to put him in a dynamic pose. The ammount you have there wont belivably look like cloth. It seems you had a good number in there originally, but took them out when you optimised him.

Anyway, it's looking great, it has a very warcraft feel about him. I guess it's the exaggerate proportions. Great work!!

Submitted by Piss Poor on Fri, 26/09/03 - 8:04 AM Permalink

the blades are being textured as rusty steel i haven?t finished the texture just yet, haven?t really been working on it i?ve been animating him (thats what i enjoy the most:)

as for the loin cloth there is a lot about the shape of the first model that i like better then the final one but i needed the polys elsewhere so i had to make the sacrifice but i have animated it in a run cycle and it works pretty well really so i?m happy that?s what i made it for:)

i am actually very nearly finished it so it will defiantly be done by this weekend