Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #3 results - please vote!

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on

This was the brief.. for a run down of the rules, [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=600"]click here[/url].

You have to make it fantasy based - no futuristic stuff (since the last challenge had a futuristic theme, we want to try something different here). Your warrior can be male or female, adult or child etc.
Your steed must be of an imaginery animal/beast. The number of legs it has is up to you (it could have 4 legs on the ground, or on 2 hind legs, or more than 4legs, for example).

Focus is on Creativity and Aesthetics (polygon work, the overall look and detail, believability of creature design and warrior).

Challenger #1 - [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=639"]Chris[/url]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeachallenge/SC3_C1-Chris1.jpg[/i…]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeachallenge/SC3_C1-Chris2.jpg[/i…]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeachallenge/SC3_C1-Chris3.jpg[/i…]

Challenger #2 - [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=615"]Ironkart[/url]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeachallenge/SC3_C2-IronikArt1.jp…]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeachallenge/SC3_C2-IronikArt2.jp…]

Challenger #3 - [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=608"]Pantmonger[/url]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeachallenge/SC3_C3-Pantmonger1.j…]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeachallenge/SC3_C3-Pantmonger2.j…]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeachallenge/SC3_C3-Pantmonger3.j…]

Before you vote, be sure to check their threads to get a better look at their entries. Please make your votes in this thread!!! Give each challenger a place out of 4 positions, and a comment if you like.. e.g

Challenger #1 - Chris : (rank.. e.g 1st, 2nd, 3rd of 4th)... I like this because.....
Challenger #2 - Ironkart : (rank) ... comment here etc
Challenger #3 - Pantmonger : (rank)... comment..

Voting closes on Sunday
Entrants can't vote..

Submitted by tomcat on Tue, 01/07/03 - 4:09 AM Permalink

well what can i say. I like them all but after looking at the criteria of this particular comp this is my vote:

1. Chris
2. Pantmonger
3. Strike Eagle
4. IronKart

Chris, your character is very interesting and overall nice to look at.

Pantmonger, I love yours too but I can only choose one first place.

Strike eagle, Nice concept, modeling and texture work. I just thought he guy in shorts was a little plain. Awesome steeed though.

IronKart, during initial submissions I really enjoyed your polar concept. I really liked your polar bear modeling and texturing. The only thing that let you down is that your character and steed are in my opinion ill matched.

good luck to all!

Submitted by ironikart on Tue, 01/07/03 - 7:50 AM Permalink

mmm.. those aren't my final renders?! My final ones are in my thread.

Submitted by SHaRD on Tue, 01/07/03 - 8:08 AM Permalink

First time poster :D~ wish i reg'ed earlier i really enjoy fantasy work.

heres my order of votes

1. Chris
2. Ironkart
3. Pantmonger
4. Strike eagle

Chris, i really like your character, very origional it has a great feel to it

Ironkart, what a lovely model, very origional i think it has great character too it. i like the textures also.

Pantmonger, again origional and differnt to the other submissions,

Strike Eagle, sorry for getting my last vote but you should have done more with the rider, create more interest he is too plain, however apart from that i really like the steed..

Cheers

SHaRD

Submitted by souri on Tue, 01/07/03 - 9:38 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by ironikart

That's the two pictures you emailed me the links to..

Submitted by Major Clod on Tue, 01/07/03 - 1:40 PM Permalink

Votes

#1 - Chris
#2 - Pantmonger
#3 - Ironkart
#4 - Strike Eagle

#1 - Chris
I absolutely love this model. There is so much character there. I love all the feathers and what not coming off your rider, and the big, goofy design of the steed is excellent. Nice, clean mesh.

#2 - Pantmonger
Again another orignal design, wouldn't want that pair coming after me underwater. I feel the only thing letting you down is the texture detail of your steed. Compared to the rider, I think you could do more with it. Other than that great stuff.

#3 - Ironkart
I do like the designs of both your rider and steed, however they just don't seem to work together. You could also have used more polys to smooth out your steed, especially compared to the level of detail in the rider.

#4 - Strike Eagle
I think you could have done more with the rider. There is something about your steeds texture that is bugging me, and I think I've narrowed it down to these things. The texture seems too monotonous, maybe a varied colour scheme or better pattern of scales would help it, maybe its a little too contrasted too. Also, it doesn't really fit around the animals body, and instead feels more like a standard material applied to it, if you understand what i mean. When I look at it, I cannot see defined shapes on the animals body, such as muscles. If you work on these things some more, I think we'd see a good model turn into a great one.

Great work all!

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 01/07/03 - 2:03 PM Permalink

Harder than I thought getting a winner out of Pants and Chris, both excellent original ideas but they can't both get number one.

Well here goes.

#1 - Pantmonger:
Overall this is the best complete package. Good mesh construction, original design, tight uvw's and a nice texture, the shark could have more detail in the texture but its a shark so what are you going to do.
Also, and I know this isn't really valid but he pumped this out in no time flat.

#2 - Chris:
Nicely done, the only things that kept you from number one where the textures and some mesh issues with the steed. Textures seemed a bit monatonal and burnt and the steed has alot of polys that could have gone into adding more detail not just rounding off the shape, your design is very cool though so it was a hard one to give 2nd too.

#3 - Ironkart:
Interesting idea, but it doesnt have the punch of the other 2, also could use more work on the meshs, the rider has to many polys and the steed too little.

#4 - Strike Eagle:
Texture killed it for me in this one, and the design is a bit dull (sorry if thats harsh) looks like a bald guy in his boxers riding a reptilian rat. [:(]

Just wondering why most people are a couple of hundred polys of the target?

Good job everyone who managed to finish on time.

Submitted by Pointy on Tue, 01/07/03 - 7:12 PM Permalink

#1 - Chris
#2 - Pantmonger
#3 - Strike Eagle
#4 - Ironkart

#1 - Chris - nice font and presentation, the GI came up nice, and background matched your models.

#2 - Pantmonger - the collage of your characters together works well, the lighting could have been better though

#3 - Strike Eagle - Tough choice here, one one hand you decided to show the binding pose which made it very unappealing, but on the other you do have a shot with shadows and a gradient background, so you just get ahead of IronKart.

#4 - Ironkart - Next time you wont be showing a plain background and a veiwport screengrab. Will you? Hmmm!?

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 01/07/03 - 7:30 PM Permalink

1. Chris
2. Ironkart
3. Pantmonger
4. Strike eagle

Chris - Just want to know why shes running around trying to keep her balance and shoot stuff in heels :)

One of the things I never understood about fantasy... makeup and heels....

Otherwise I think Shard said more or less what I was thinking.

Submitted by Jocon on Tue, 01/07/03 - 8:30 PM Permalink

1. Chris
2. Ironkart
3. Strike eagle
4. Pantmonger

Great work all round. Chris, I like your style.You have been assimilated.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 01/07/03 - 9:38 PM Permalink

Might be a bit late but just wanted to chip in.

Chris and Pantmonger - these two were the top tier entries both extremely different from one another but I think I prefer Chris', which is strange as I don't normally like anime styled works.

1. Chris - great design, and gets the nod because it has a little bit more personality than Pantmongers. The little details like the whipcord pony-tail, the symbolic inscriptions on the steed and rider, the strappings on the bow and arrow give it real believability. The steed meshes perfectly (as seen in the final shot) and for some reason (I'm not sure why) it looks like the perfect, obedient steed. Also, the subject matter (big locusty, flying thing) was a good choice. It's so common to see 'death & destruction' type creatures in games nowadays, so I found the ethereal look refreshing. Only real drawback was the slightly monotonous colour scheme - maybe a splash of white paint on the bow or a greeny tattoo on the arm wouldn't have hurt?

2. Pantmonger - very hard to separate but I think the winning entry has just a tad more personality. The warrior and steed fit together very well and I particularly like how you gave thought to how the rider was going to ride on it. When I saw the concept, I thought you'd do the old 'rider on top' thingee, but lo and behold! It wasn't so.

Personally I like the shark better than the rider, although the whole Roman/Greek/Poseidon thing works very well. There's something about the proportions of the hips and width of the ankles that makes me think he's a bit chunky. Also, the knees are a bit turned in, so it's sort of giving it an impression of weakness (only a little) but since poses aren't really to be taken into account, discard the comment at your leisure. I just thought an underwater creature would be a little more lithe or athletic - it might be the pose, but he looks a little landbased.

Texturing is very nice - particularly the aquatic colour scheme. Maybe some detail on the armour? I applaud the complexity of your design - far more intricate than the others. Excellent use of polys -and you really made the design work.

3. Strike Eagle - gets the nod ahead of Ironikart because the rider and steed work better together and are hence, more believable. Nice modelling although the rider has less polys than the beast but the beast looks a bit blockier - perhaps a bit of exaggeration on the muscularity of the beast wouldn't have gone amiss? The hind legs seem a little weedy despite it's powerful pose. I think the design could have used a bit more thought - maybe some war paint, or insignia on the shield or maybe some vicious tattoos on the rider.

Beast's texture is a bit samey and maybe the scales could have been smaller. Having said that, the texture for the rider (while a bit plain) does an very goog job of conveying a ripped physique.

4. Ironikart - I like the design and how it varies from the typical game stuff, but the rider and steed clash. Texturing is quite nice, esp on the rider but I think a little more detail both modelling and texture wise could have gone on the steed. The feet look a little plain. I like the stylized looked tho!

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 02/07/03 - 12:07 AM Permalink

Well I'm not much of an artist, so I don't know how well this vote will go down, let alone what I would hardly call good "critiqueing" but here goes!

(numbers on the side refer to "placing")

#1. Pantmonger - In regards to the first criteria (creativity), this stands taller than the others. The humanoid angler fish concept is great- it's a damn 'ugly' concept and I'd never date one, but in the context of a warrior it's perfect, definitely scarier than a furry rabbit (despite what Monty Python afficionados will say about rabbits). I don't know which one came first, the shark or the angler-fish humanoid, but the armoured shark complements the warrior greatly. The riding position of the warrior is also a nice twist, although the way the rider's 'handlebars' are attached to the shark looks painful :). Overall two creative concepts that work well together.

Related to the second criteria (aesthetics) you've done a good job of the warrior. The anatamony is a bit twisted, but it suits the part human part fish theme. Although I have to say his pose seems a little bit "look at my perky butt" - but it translates better when he's on (under) the shark. The musculature is also different which adds to the 'not human' look of the warrior. The mapping is rock-solid (except perhaps a tiny fraction around the jaw, but that's only because you gave an ultra close-up of it), often something repeated like scales can give away stretching so easily, but you seemed to have that covered.I was also glad to see that on both models you worked close to the polygon limit.

I think the texture detail on the shark was a little bit low, although not being the ultimately creative type, the only advice I could offer is perhaps a bit of scars or something, look at some doco's on great white sharks and alot of them have a bit of "character" in relation to battle scars, especially around the jaw. It seems just a little too smooth for a wild battle creature.

Another slight issue is that the model/textures overall seem a little dark...but what would I know :)

#2. Chris - First criteria, creativity. I think the locust/grasshopper steed is a good concept (as an aside it'd be interesting to see how a game would interpret the 'locust steed' seeing as technically it can't fly, it can only jump really high/far). The warrior concept is a little bit 'safe'.

Aesthetics wise? It's partly lighting, and it's partly the model, but I like the fact that this model has almost captured a bit of an "object in a plane" 2D look about it. The texturing is safe, the bow seems a tad cartoon-like though, it's hard to say whether this is a bad thing as the overall model is obviously not supposed to be ultra-realistic (the physique, clothing etc is all a bit fantasy/anime). I hate to nit-pick, but I think believability was mentioned as a criteria, high heels??? Seems a bit strange for this warrior to be running around in heels! But that's just me :)

The steed looks good, not sure where to put those 290 polys, perhaps use them to make the rear legs a bit smoother, or add some details to the legs, maybe something to make it look a bit more 'rugged' I guess. Textures are good but would need a game with a decent lighting system to bring depth to the characters, perhaps some more contrast and shadow?

The only other thing is that the steed has a bit of an Australian outback colour scheme to it (red/ochre) it works, but it doesn't create much contrast with the warrior. I'd perhaps try to play around with colours that match the kind of wood/conifer forest colour scheme that the warrior has.

#3. Ironikart - The concept of the warrior is different, but it doesn't really match the polar bear. I think what's mismatched is that something that's nearly totally based in reality (ie the polar bear) has been matched to something that's definitely not (The only way that warrior will be able to generate enough leverage to move that spear will be through forces unknown to me)! There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the idea of the warrior, or the idea of a polar-bear steed, it just doesn't seem to be a natural match.

Aesthetics? I'm not sure, but it looks like you've got at least (or around about) 500 polygons left to play about with. I'd use them on the bear, maybe give it some more character, I'd definitely give it some upper and lower mandibles (if I were an artist, which i'm not, I'm only pretending I know what I talk about).

The texturing is good, although again, I think the colour scheme suffers from mismatched warrior/steed. Overall it seems to lack a bit of colour in general, it's a very grey scheme. Which isn't necessarily bad, but I'm not convinced it works in this case. The chest and knee area of the steed probably need a bit of uvw alteration but apart from that it's all fairly good.

It's a tad unbelievable that these two aren't wearing any protection (rdrr) at all. I'd maybe spend some of the polygons on armour as well, maybe even take a few extra polygons lying around on the character to add armour to the steed.

#4. Strike Eagle - The "creativity" criteria is possibly where this one loses out. I'd like to see perhaps a different twist on the semi-primal full body-waxed warrior on reptilian/dinosour back theme. I sure hope that guys lives in a warm climate cause he's going to get cold in winter :) The semi-canine look of the reptile is different, so that gets you some brownie points in the creativity field.

The steed's texture seems a little bit plain and uniform. Although I realise it has to be (it's a reptile), maybe something like tiger stripes, or even chameleon-esque colour change, or maybe a paler underbelly, something to give it some character would be useful. Also the scales seem to stretch a little bit here and there, which is obviously a risk involved in using a repetitive texture. Perhaps a few too many polygons have been used for the feet claws and I'd definitely use those 100 or so polygons you have left to smooth the creature out a bit more.

The warrior is very 'safe' as I would say, there doesn't seem to be anything majorly wrong, although he's got way over-developed biceps :) I hate to bring my own self-taught physiological garbage into this, but throwing and fighting actually involved more shoulders and triceps than it does biceps!

Anyway - everyone's a critic sometimes - well done to all of ya! You put in a better effort than I did for the programming competition!!! The standard these entries are up to is great to see.

Submitted by rezn0r on Wed, 02/07/03 - 2:38 AM Permalink

#1 Pants
#2 Chris
#3 Ironcart
#4 Strike Eagle

Scott.

Submitted by Trigun on Wed, 02/07/03 - 8:40 AM Permalink

1. Chris
2. Ironkart
3. Strike eagle
4. Pantmonger

chris... u ROCK!

Submitted by souri on Wed, 02/07/03 - 9:53 AM Permalink

Strike Eagle has requested that his entry be removed..

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 02/07/03 - 7:22 PM Permalink

Oh man Strike Eagles been removed ??? [:(] wat da ? guys i think try to encourage the entrants of this competition rather than give a very harsh criticism......... i mean post a crit that will make people feel that we can do better next time on different aspects of the competition and like wat we can improve on....(which most of you did [:D])

Put yourself in the artists position and remember wat this competition is all about.

Encouragement is the best support u can give as voters and crits. [:D]

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 02/07/03 - 11:47 PM Permalink

Strike eagle: I hope I had nothing to do with you removing your link [:(]
Your modelling and animations where very good, I should have noted that on my vote, I apologise for just concentrating on the negatives just got lazy.

I don't think he should look for another industry either thats a very harsh thing to say, if you look at his other work on his site he's definetly doing some great work.

Come back StrikeEagle its only a comp.

Submitted by SHaRD on Thu, 03/07/03 - 1:56 AM Permalink

dont think it was you malus...
/me looks @ doord

"I'm not going into this one sorry, but if you are new to the game good work and nice model if this one is of your first few model you have got to the end of. If not, I think you need to start looking into another career, or start over and learn more about old school art"

harsh...

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 03/07/03 - 2:30 AM Permalink

Just my opinion, sorry if you took it to heart. But I do stand by my comment, I have just found out that you did dip two the year before I did. and I now know the impact of what I have writen has had. But I do this to everyone I talk to about art, mainly so that they will do it back and I find this help me a lot.

(just a side note, I didn't do art in year 11 and 12. Which was because the shit type of art we were pushed into doing. Then I went to the AIE and found that they were very layed back and that they tell poeple that what they were doing was the best they have seen and that wasn't ture 90% of the time. And i see the same thing every were. And found that I need to find some place tells you how it is and i find that forums are a good place for this. So i went to the forums and got comments that were ture about my work and come and because of this it has only taken 2 years of doing art to get a job in the industry)

I'm more then happy to help you out, hell you live here in Canberra, I happy to meet up and show you a thing or two which may help you out.

remember Just my opinion.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 03/07/03 - 4:31 AM Permalink

There is a big difference between telling someone that they need a lot of improvment,here is where and what, and saying "I think you need to start looking into another career"

The first one is the truth (in theory) and is helpful. The second is pointless self inflating bashing.
You have basicly said, "I know this industry and you don't stand a chance of getting into it, ever." and you don't have the standing, experience or knowledge to say this and be accurate. Just because you work in the industry it does not grant you powerful insight into peoples life long potential.

Get some respect for other peoples feeling

"remember Just my opinion."
Pantmonger

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 03/07/03 - 4:35 AM Permalink

Man, I really liked Strike Eagle's entry! It was my wife's favourite :)

It's all a learning process. This was my first go at a low poly model and I really enjoyed doing it in the spirit of competition. I look forward to seeing more work from you Strike!

souri: thanks heaps for changing the links to my entries, much appreciated!

Submitted by rcumine on Thu, 03/07/03 - 8:11 AM Permalink

1. Ironkart
2. Chris
3. Pantmonger

Submitted by Major Clod on Thu, 03/07/03 - 10:49 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Pantmonger

There is a big difference between telling someone that they need a lot of improvment,here is where and what, and saying "I think you need to start looking into another career"

The first one is the truth (in theory) and is helpful. The second is pointless self inflating bashing.
You have basicly said, "I know this industry and you don't stand a chance of getting into it, ever." and you don't have the standing, experience or knowledge to say this and be accurate. Just because you work in the industry it does not grant you powerful insight into peoples life long potential.

Pantmonger

Agreed.

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 03/07/03 - 8:17 PM Permalink

Too ture Pantmonger. And maybe he should take your word for it, "what the fuck do I (Doord) know. I haven't been in the industry that long."

Hell it's right, I don't do the hiring. I'm not that good. Huge amount of stuff I don't know or not that good at. And I best start working on the way I view others work to that list.

can we move any other thing about this to an other place, and have this area for voting and give the comp entrys the atentiion they should have.

I will be off now.

Submitted by animal on Fri, 04/07/03 - 7:29 AM Permalink

1. chris
2. pantmonger
3. ironkart

Submitted by Mojo on Fri, 04/07/03 - 9:51 AM Permalink

In terms of funky design, modelling and texture skills, hmm...!

1. Pantmonger
2. Chris
3. Ironkart

Submitted by Ionized on Fri, 04/07/03 - 9:52 PM Permalink

I've been away for a while and when I get back, there are only 3 entries?! What happened people? It started out so well.

Great final entries from everyone. Anyway, heres my votes and I'll be breif:

1 Chris - I just really like this model. It's clean and the character just pops.

2 IronKart - This has a big cute factor for me. Texturing could use some more detail though. It's simple but it works for me.

3 Pantmonger - Very cool and original idea. Loads of detail too and probably the most complex model out of the three. However I think that some of the details on the shark and rider could have been more worked on.

As for Strike Eagle. I don't blame him if he doesn't want to get into the industry after the way he has been treated here. If you read this dude. Don't ever listen to shit like that. And don't ever pull your work out because someone said something stupid. The only people worth listening to are the ones who offer constructive criticism as opposed to detructive criticism.

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 05/07/03 - 12:11 AM Permalink

Yes i saw some of strikes work it is damn awesome and he has a crap load of it more than i have ever built. So the guys does not deserve to be put down and i rekon he should put his work back up because like everyone else here we all put time into getting these models done so no matter how it looks should be proud of it [:D] !!!!

Submitted by Doord on Sat, 05/07/03 - 2:42 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

If stuff like this is not a good start for someone wanting to get into the industry maybe we should all give up hey. [?]

I did say in my post if you are starting out nice work a keep it up. Cool base for the chopper.

Submitted by Pointy on Sat, 05/07/03 - 2:53 AM Permalink

seems like the voting has come to a standstill. How long before a tally is done and more importantly, a new challenge begins?

Posted by souri on

This was the brief.. for a run down of the rules, [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=600"]click here[/url].

You have to make it fantasy based - no futuristic stuff (since the last challenge had a futuristic theme, we want to try something different here). Your warrior can be male or female, adult or child etc.
Your steed must be of an imaginery animal/beast. The number of legs it has is up to you (it could have 4 legs on the ground, or on 2 hind legs, or more than 4legs, for example).

Focus is on Creativity and Aesthetics (polygon work, the overall look and detail, believability of creature design and warrior).

Challenger #1 - [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=639"]Chris[/url]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeachallenge/SC3_C1-Chris1.jpg[/i…]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeachallenge/SC3_C1-Chris2.jpg[/i…]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeachallenge/SC3_C1-Chris3.jpg[/i…]

Challenger #2 - [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=615"]Ironkart[/url]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeachallenge/SC3_C2-IronikArt1.jp…]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeachallenge/SC3_C2-IronikArt2.jp…]

Challenger #3 - [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=608"]Pantmonger[/url]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeachallenge/SC3_C3-Pantmonger1.j…]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeachallenge/SC3_C3-Pantmonger2.j…]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simagesmisc/sumeachallenge/SC3_C3-Pantmonger3.j…]

Before you vote, be sure to check their threads to get a better look at their entries. Please make your votes in this thread!!! Give each challenger a place out of 4 positions, and a comment if you like.. e.g

Challenger #1 - Chris : (rank.. e.g 1st, 2nd, 3rd of 4th)... I like this because.....
Challenger #2 - Ironkart : (rank) ... comment here etc
Challenger #3 - Pantmonger : (rank)... comment..

Voting closes on Sunday
Entrants can't vote..

Submitted by tomcat on Tue, 01/07/03 - 4:09 AM Permalink

well what can i say. I like them all but after looking at the criteria of this particular comp this is my vote:

1. Chris
2. Pantmonger
3. Strike Eagle
4. IronKart

Chris, your character is very interesting and overall nice to look at.

Pantmonger, I love yours too but I can only choose one first place.

Strike eagle, Nice concept, modeling and texture work. I just thought he guy in shorts was a little plain. Awesome steeed though.

IronKart, during initial submissions I really enjoyed your polar concept. I really liked your polar bear modeling and texturing. The only thing that let you down is that your character and steed are in my opinion ill matched.

good luck to all!

Submitted by ironikart on Tue, 01/07/03 - 7:50 AM Permalink

Submitted by SHaRD on Tue, 01/07/03 - 8:08 AM Permalink

First time poster :D~ wish i reg'ed earlier i really enjoy fantasy work.

heres my order of votes

1. Chris
2. Ironkart
3. Pantmonger
4. Strike eagle

Chris, i really like your character, very origional it has a great feel to it

Ironkart, what a lovely model, very origional i think it has great character too it. i like the textures also.

Pantmonger, again origional and differnt to the other submissions,

Strike Eagle, sorry for getting my last vote but you should have done more with the rider, create more interest he is too plain, however apart from that i really like the steed..

Cheers

SHaRD

Submitted by souri on Tue, 01/07/03 - 9:38 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by ironikart

That's the two pictures you emailed me the links to..

Submitted by Major Clod on Tue, 01/07/03 - 1:40 PM Permalink

Votes

#1 - Chris
#2 - Pantmonger
#3 - Ironkart
#4 - Strike Eagle

#1 - Chris
I absolutely love this model. There is so much character there. I love all the feathers and what not coming off your rider, and the big, goofy design of the steed is excellent. Nice, clean mesh.

#2 - Pantmonger
Again another orignal design, wouldn't want that pair coming after me underwater. I feel the only thing letting you down is the texture detail of your steed. Compared to the rider, I think you could do more with it. Other than that great stuff.

#3 - Ironkart
I do like the designs of both your rider and steed, however they just don't seem to work together. You could also have used more polys to smooth out your steed, especially compared to the level of detail in the rider.

#4 - Strike Eagle
I think you could have done more with the rider. There is something about your steeds texture that is bugging me, and I think I've narrowed it down to these things. The texture seems too monotonous, maybe a varied colour scheme or better pattern of scales would help it, maybe its a little too contrasted too. Also, it doesn't really fit around the animals body, and instead feels more like a standard material applied to it, if you understand what i mean. When I look at it, I cannot see defined shapes on the animals body, such as muscles. If you work on these things some more, I think we'd see a good model turn into a great one.

Great work all!

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 01/07/03 - 2:03 PM Permalink

Harder than I thought getting a winner out of Pants and Chris, both excellent original ideas but they can't both get number one.

Well here goes.

#1 - Pantmonger:
Overall this is the best complete package. Good mesh construction, original design, tight uvw's and a nice texture, the shark could have more detail in the texture but its a shark so what are you going to do.
Also, and I know this isn't really valid but he pumped this out in no time flat.

#2 - Chris:
Nicely done, the only things that kept you from number one where the textures and some mesh issues with the steed. Textures seemed a bit monatonal and burnt and the steed has alot of polys that could have gone into adding more detail not just rounding off the shape, your design is very cool though so it was a hard one to give 2nd too.

#3 - Ironkart:
Interesting idea, but it doesnt have the punch of the other 2, also could use more work on the meshs, the rider has to many polys and the steed too little.

#4 - Strike Eagle:
Texture killed it for me in this one, and the design is a bit dull (sorry if thats harsh) looks like a bald guy in his boxers riding a reptilian rat. [:(]

Just wondering why most people are a couple of hundred polys of the target?

Good job everyone who managed to finish on time.

Submitted by Pointy on Tue, 01/07/03 - 7:12 PM Permalink

#1 - Chris
#2 - Pantmonger
#3 - Strike Eagle
#4 - Ironkart

#1 - Chris - nice font and presentation, the GI came up nice, and background matched your models.

#2 - Pantmonger - the collage of your characters together works well, the lighting could have been better though

#3 - Strike Eagle - Tough choice here, one one hand you decided to show the binding pose which made it very unappealing, but on the other you do have a shot with shadows and a gradient background, so you just get ahead of IronKart.

#4 - Ironkart - Next time you wont be showing a plain background and a veiwport screengrab. Will you? Hmmm!?

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 01/07/03 - 7:30 PM Permalink

1. Chris
2. Ironkart
3. Pantmonger
4. Strike eagle

Chris - Just want to know why shes running around trying to keep her balance and shoot stuff in heels :)

One of the things I never understood about fantasy... makeup and heels....

Otherwise I think Shard said more or less what I was thinking.

Submitted by Jocon on Tue, 01/07/03 - 8:30 PM Permalink

1. Chris
2. Ironkart
3. Strike eagle
4. Pantmonger

Great work all round. Chris, I like your style.You have been assimilated.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 01/07/03 - 9:38 PM Permalink

Might be a bit late but just wanted to chip in.

Chris and Pantmonger - these two were the top tier entries both extremely different from one another but I think I prefer Chris', which is strange as I don't normally like anime styled works.

1. Chris - great design, and gets the nod because it has a little bit more personality than Pantmongers. The little details like the whipcord pony-tail, the symbolic inscriptions on the steed and rider, the strappings on the bow and arrow give it real believability. The steed meshes perfectly (as seen in the final shot) and for some reason (I'm not sure why) it looks like the perfect, obedient steed. Also, the subject matter (big locusty, flying thing) was a good choice. It's so common to see 'death & destruction' type creatures in games nowadays, so I found the ethereal look refreshing. Only real drawback was the slightly monotonous colour scheme - maybe a splash of white paint on the bow or a greeny tattoo on the arm wouldn't have hurt?

2. Pantmonger - very hard to separate but I think the winning entry has just a tad more personality. The warrior and steed fit together very well and I particularly like how you gave thought to how the rider was going to ride on it. When I saw the concept, I thought you'd do the old 'rider on top' thingee, but lo and behold! It wasn't so.

Personally I like the shark better than the rider, although the whole Roman/Greek/Poseidon thing works very well. There's something about the proportions of the hips and width of the ankles that makes me think he's a bit chunky. Also, the knees are a bit turned in, so it's sort of giving it an impression of weakness (only a little) but since poses aren't really to be taken into account, discard the comment at your leisure. I just thought an underwater creature would be a little more lithe or athletic - it might be the pose, but he looks a little landbased.

Texturing is very nice - particularly the aquatic colour scheme. Maybe some detail on the armour? I applaud the complexity of your design - far more intricate than the others. Excellent use of polys -and you really made the design work.

3. Strike Eagle - gets the nod ahead of Ironikart because the rider and steed work better together and are hence, more believable. Nice modelling although the rider has less polys than the beast but the beast looks a bit blockier - perhaps a bit of exaggeration on the muscularity of the beast wouldn't have gone amiss? The hind legs seem a little weedy despite it's powerful pose. I think the design could have used a bit more thought - maybe some war paint, or insignia on the shield or maybe some vicious tattoos on the rider.

Beast's texture is a bit samey and maybe the scales could have been smaller. Having said that, the texture for the rider (while a bit plain) does an very goog job of conveying a ripped physique.

4. Ironikart - I like the design and how it varies from the typical game stuff, but the rider and steed clash. Texturing is quite nice, esp on the rider but I think a little more detail both modelling and texture wise could have gone on the steed. The feet look a little plain. I like the stylized looked tho!

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 02/07/03 - 12:07 AM Permalink

Well I'm not much of an artist, so I don't know how well this vote will go down, let alone what I would hardly call good "critiqueing" but here goes!

(numbers on the side refer to "placing")

#1. Pantmonger - In regards to the first criteria (creativity), this stands taller than the others. The humanoid angler fish concept is great- it's a damn 'ugly' concept and I'd never date one, but in the context of a warrior it's perfect, definitely scarier than a furry rabbit (despite what Monty Python afficionados will say about rabbits). I don't know which one came first, the shark or the angler-fish humanoid, but the armoured shark complements the warrior greatly. The riding position of the warrior is also a nice twist, although the way the rider's 'handlebars' are attached to the shark looks painful :). Overall two creative concepts that work well together.

Related to the second criteria (aesthetics) you've done a good job of the warrior. The anatamony is a bit twisted, but it suits the part human part fish theme. Although I have to say his pose seems a little bit "look at my perky butt" - but it translates better when he's on (under) the shark. The musculature is also different which adds to the 'not human' look of the warrior. The mapping is rock-solid (except perhaps a tiny fraction around the jaw, but that's only because you gave an ultra close-up of it), often something repeated like scales can give away stretching so easily, but you seemed to have that covered.I was also glad to see that on both models you worked close to the polygon limit.

I think the texture detail on the shark was a little bit low, although not being the ultimately creative type, the only advice I could offer is perhaps a bit of scars or something, look at some doco's on great white sharks and alot of them have a bit of "character" in relation to battle scars, especially around the jaw. It seems just a little too smooth for a wild battle creature.

Another slight issue is that the model/textures overall seem a little dark...but what would I know :)

#2. Chris - First criteria, creativity. I think the locust/grasshopper steed is a good concept (as an aside it'd be interesting to see how a game would interpret the 'locust steed' seeing as technically it can't fly, it can only jump really high/far). The warrior concept is a little bit 'safe'.

Aesthetics wise? It's partly lighting, and it's partly the model, but I like the fact that this model has almost captured a bit of an "object in a plane" 2D look about it. The texturing is safe, the bow seems a tad cartoon-like though, it's hard to say whether this is a bad thing as the overall model is obviously not supposed to be ultra-realistic (the physique, clothing etc is all a bit fantasy/anime). I hate to nit-pick, but I think believability was mentioned as a criteria, high heels??? Seems a bit strange for this warrior to be running around in heels! But that's just me :)

The steed looks good, not sure where to put those 290 polys, perhaps use them to make the rear legs a bit smoother, or add some details to the legs, maybe something to make it look a bit more 'rugged' I guess. Textures are good but would need a game with a decent lighting system to bring depth to the characters, perhaps some more contrast and shadow?

The only other thing is that the steed has a bit of an Australian outback colour scheme to it (red/ochre) it works, but it doesn't create much contrast with the warrior. I'd perhaps try to play around with colours that match the kind of wood/conifer forest colour scheme that the warrior has.

#3. Ironikart - The concept of the warrior is different, but it doesn't really match the polar bear. I think what's mismatched is that something that's nearly totally based in reality (ie the polar bear) has been matched to something that's definitely not (The only way that warrior will be able to generate enough leverage to move that spear will be through forces unknown to me)! There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the idea of the warrior, or the idea of a polar-bear steed, it just doesn't seem to be a natural match.

Aesthetics? I'm not sure, but it looks like you've got at least (or around about) 500 polygons left to play about with. I'd use them on the bear, maybe give it some more character, I'd definitely give it some upper and lower mandibles (if I were an artist, which i'm not, I'm only pretending I know what I talk about).

The texturing is good, although again, I think the colour scheme suffers from mismatched warrior/steed. Overall it seems to lack a bit of colour in general, it's a very grey scheme. Which isn't necessarily bad, but I'm not convinced it works in this case. The chest and knee area of the steed probably need a bit of uvw alteration but apart from that it's all fairly good.

It's a tad unbelievable that these two aren't wearing any protection (rdrr) at all. I'd maybe spend some of the polygons on armour as well, maybe even take a few extra polygons lying around on the character to add armour to the steed.

#4. Strike Eagle - The "creativity" criteria is possibly where this one loses out. I'd like to see perhaps a different twist on the semi-primal full body-waxed warrior on reptilian/dinosour back theme. I sure hope that guys lives in a warm climate cause he's going to get cold in winter :) The semi-canine look of the reptile is different, so that gets you some brownie points in the creativity field.

The steed's texture seems a little bit plain and uniform. Although I realise it has to be (it's a reptile), maybe something like tiger stripes, or even chameleon-esque colour change, or maybe a paler underbelly, something to give it some character would be useful. Also the scales seem to stretch a little bit here and there, which is obviously a risk involved in using a repetitive texture. Perhaps a few too many polygons have been used for the feet claws and I'd definitely use those 100 or so polygons you have left to smooth the creature out a bit more.

The warrior is very 'safe' as I would say, there doesn't seem to be anything majorly wrong, although he's got way over-developed biceps :) I hate to bring my own self-taught physiological garbage into this, but throwing and fighting actually involved more shoulders and triceps than it does biceps!

Anyway - everyone's a critic sometimes - well done to all of ya! You put in a better effort than I did for the programming competition!!! The standard these entries are up to is great to see.

Submitted by rezn0r on Wed, 02/07/03 - 2:38 AM Permalink

#1 Pants
#2 Chris
#3 Ironcart
#4 Strike Eagle

Scott.

Submitted by Trigun on Wed, 02/07/03 - 8:40 AM Permalink

1. Chris
2. Ironkart
3. Strike eagle
4. Pantmonger

chris... u ROCK!

Submitted by souri on Wed, 02/07/03 - 9:53 AM Permalink

Strike Eagle has requested that his entry be removed..

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 02/07/03 - 7:22 PM Permalink

Oh man Strike Eagles been removed ??? [:(] wat da ? guys i think try to encourage the entrants of this competition rather than give a very harsh criticism......... i mean post a crit that will make people feel that we can do better next time on different aspects of the competition and like wat we can improve on....(which most of you did [:D])

Put yourself in the artists position and remember wat this competition is all about.

Encouragement is the best support u can give as voters and crits. [:D]

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 02/07/03 - 11:47 PM Permalink

Strike eagle: I hope I had nothing to do with you removing your link [:(]
Your modelling and animations where very good, I should have noted that on my vote, I apologise for just concentrating on the negatives just got lazy.

I don't think he should look for another industry either thats a very harsh thing to say, if you look at his other work on his site he's definetly doing some great work.

Come back StrikeEagle its only a comp.

Submitted by SHaRD on Thu, 03/07/03 - 1:56 AM Permalink

dont think it was you malus...
/me looks @ doord

"I'm not going into this one sorry, but if you are new to the game good work and nice model if this one is of your first few model you have got to the end of. If not, I think you need to start looking into another career, or start over and learn more about old school art"

harsh...

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 03/07/03 - 2:30 AM Permalink

Just my opinion, sorry if you took it to heart. But I do stand by my comment, I have just found out that you did dip two the year before I did. and I now know the impact of what I have writen has had. But I do this to everyone I talk to about art, mainly so that they will do it back and I find this help me a lot.

(just a side note, I didn't do art in year 11 and 12. Which was because the shit type of art we were pushed into doing. Then I went to the AIE and found that they were very layed back and that they tell poeple that what they were doing was the best they have seen and that wasn't ture 90% of the time. And i see the same thing every were. And found that I need to find some place tells you how it is and i find that forums are a good place for this. So i went to the forums and got comments that were ture about my work and come and because of this it has only taken 2 years of doing art to get a job in the industry)

I'm more then happy to help you out, hell you live here in Canberra, I happy to meet up and show you a thing or two which may help you out.

remember Just my opinion.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 03/07/03 - 4:31 AM Permalink

Pantmonger

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 03/07/03 - 4:35 AM Permalink

Man, I really liked Strike Eagle's entry! It was my wife's favourite :)

It's all a learning process. This was my first go at a low poly model and I really enjoyed doing it in the spirit of competition. I look forward to seeing more work from you Strike!

souri: thanks heaps for changing the links to my entries, much appreciated!

Submitted by rcumine on Thu, 03/07/03 - 8:11 AM Permalink

1. Ironkart
2. Chris
3. Pantmonger

Submitted by Major Clod on Thu, 03/07/03 - 10:49 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Pantmonger

Pantmonger

Agreed.

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 03/07/03 - 8:17 PM Permalink

Too ture Pantmonger. And maybe he should take your word for it, "what the fuck do I (Doord) know. I haven't been in the industry that long."

Hell it's right, I don't do the hiring. I'm not that good. Huge amount of stuff I don't know or not that good at. And I best start working on the way I view others work to that list.

can we move any other thing about this to an other place, and have this area for voting and give the comp entrys the atentiion they should have.

I will be off now.

Submitted by animal on Fri, 04/07/03 - 7:29 AM Permalink

1. chris
2. pantmonger
3. ironkart

Submitted by Mojo on Fri, 04/07/03 - 9:51 AM Permalink

In terms of funky design, modelling and texture skills, hmm...!

1. Pantmonger
2. Chris
3. Ironkart

Submitted by Ionized on Fri, 04/07/03 - 9:52 PM Permalink

I've been away for a while and when I get back, there are only 3 entries?! What happened people? It started out so well.

Great final entries from everyone. Anyway, heres my votes and I'll be breif:

1 Chris - I just really like this model. It's clean and the character just pops.

2 IronKart - This has a big cute factor for me. Texturing could use some more detail though. It's simple but it works for me.

3 Pantmonger - Very cool and original idea. Loads of detail too and probably the most complex model out of the three. However I think that some of the details on the shark and rider could have been more worked on.

As for Strike Eagle. I don't blame him if he doesn't want to get into the industry after the way he has been treated here. If you read this dude. Don't ever listen to shit like that. And don't ever pull your work out because someone said something stupid. The only people worth listening to are the ones who offer constructive criticism as opposed to detructive criticism.

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 05/07/03 - 12:11 AM Permalink

Yes i saw some of strikes work it is damn awesome and he has a crap load of it more than i have ever built. So the guys does not deserve to be put down and i rekon he should put his work back up because like everyone else here we all put time into getting these models done so no matter how it looks should be proud of it [:D] !!!!

Submitted by Doord on Sat, 05/07/03 - 2:42 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

If stuff like this is not a good start for someone wanting to get into the industry maybe we should all give up hey. [?]

I did say in my post if you are starting out nice work a keep it up. Cool base for the chopper.

Submitted by Pointy on Sat, 05/07/03 - 2:53 AM Permalink

seems like the voting has come to a standstill. How long before a tally is done and more importantly, a new challenge begins?