Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #2 - 3D - davidcoen

• Was looking for a reason to learn sql, and was feeling the urge to play an oldschool pen and paper rpg.

didn't like gurps licence, nor dnd's 'open' source licence, then while looking around, found legendary quest, which is kind of neat.…

• somewhat random, got up to speed with SDL (simple media layer) to see what it could do for me to make my life easier, also rewrote my game engine to be a lot more generic and support unittest.

grey image is having fun bluring the depth…

• Note. Not my base mesh and texture, purchased a highres model from turbosquid (20000+ vertex, several 4098x4098 textures) and reduced it to 600 vert and a 2048x2048 texture page (for diffuse, alpha, normal and specular maps)

was currious…

• Have never done that much database/php stuff, but was currious if you could make a game using javascript/canvas rather than flash.
    this seemed fine till trying to get Internet Explorer to work, in which case i would like to think flash works…

• Made an update for the Bikini Beach Volley Ball game, 4 new girls, one new location.
    Screen shots are from iPhone and iPad.

• a week of prototyping (6 prototypes), 1 of which failed and not included, another of which i am still working on and not online yet (procrastinating by blogging rather than finishing it)

Seems prototyping is the popular thing to do at the…

• capture of iPhone gameplay of my lattest game, Bikini Beach Volleybal

• and so the quick 2 week project to recover from a big project/ experement with stencil shadows is now up to the 4 week mark.
    wrote a gui/ font system and tools pretty much from scratch which is a good way of making a 2 week project take 4…

• because i can, though the play mechanic is pretty much pong, and after spending the day making animation i'm kind of wiped out to type anything interesting.

the main photo, had one of my female friends critique the bikini girls appearance…

• Bit of a slow week, finished 'chico of the dead' (once it is available in the app store i get to start promoting it, fun) and during the recovery time after a big project, tidied up some randoms bits of tech, simplified renderer, and added…

Submitted by davidcoen on

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/7_last_00L.jpg[/img]

http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/7_last_00L.jpg

what the hell is up with winXP/nis/ftp, having to go back to an old machine to upload any files to the internet

anyway, concept yukiyo kishiro, 2994 triangles. will uv and texture in a bit.

DSC

(note, i am not a forum nazi (glares at souri, we don't have enough people here to have this degree of sorting on the forums, IMHO) feel free to C&C artwork (comment and critique) or otherwise commnet on the thread...)

Submitted by souri on Tue, 01/04/03 - 11:27 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by davidcoen

(note, i am not a forum nazi (glares at souri, we don't have enough people here to have this degree of sorting on the forums, IMHO)

Can you expand on this? I'm not quite sure on what you mean..

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 02/04/03 - 11:48 AM Permalink

I think her head is pretty large, and her legs could probably be longer - see how the image nicely lines up with the concept..

other than that, good job.

Submitted by davidcoen on Wed, 02/04/03 - 1:15 PM Permalink

@souri, ment nothing intelegent, so amusment that we seem to have more forums than regulars~ the vague bitch was more for reason of wasting 3 hours to upload 200kb of data. speaking of which i am still unable to upload files. ~ great, i finished it (uv mapped and textured) ...

think i fixed the proportions SB, but that will teach me to have head tilted forward in preview with head tiltled back in the reference...

DSC

Submitted by souri on Wed, 02/04/03 - 1:55 PM Permalink

@souri, ment nothing intelegent, so amusment that we seem to have more forums than regulars~ the vague bitch was more for reason of wasting 3 hours to upload 200kb of data. speaking of which i am still unable to upload files. ~ great, i finished it (uv mapped and textured) ...

If you have any suggestions on cutting down the amount of forum sections, I'm all ears.. post it in the suggestion section. I'm not sure why the upload isn't working for you. It's the same upload code that's been working on the site for the last 10 months.. There are issues if you use a browser like Opera, however. If you can give me more details, it would help.

Submitted by davidcoen on Wed, 02/04/03 - 8:24 PM Permalink

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/7_last_01L.jpg[/img]
concept from Yukito Kishiro (battle angel alita, last order)

3 days work, rushed the texture (it is mostly a rust pic from a 'royalty free photo cd' then two skin textures from http://astronomy.swin.edu.au ) the vertex colour and global illumination texture bases are from my own code :)

and a resized version of the texture 512x512 http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/7_last_02L.jpg

souri, the upload problems are my end. have to keep on unpacking my old machine whenever i want to upload files >25kb it seems (on old machine and sumea works fine, ftp busted though, not your problem...)

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 03/04/03 - 12:44 AM Permalink

Nice model David. Textures a bit rushed though, you should really give it a bit more work, the mesh deserves it. [:P]

Why do you want the amount of forums sections cut down?

Submitted by Idaho on Sat, 05/04/03 - 2:44 AM Permalink

great work i really like your style

Submitted by davidcoen on Sat, 05/04/03 - 11:58 AM Permalink

[IMG]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/7_again3.jpg[/IMG]

here Souri, didn't realise you have asked for 1024x512 multiple view format for previews~ also made the texture a bit lighter to make it easier to see
uninstalled nortain internet security, but just had two scipt timeouts trying to upload this image (one 150kb, then a 140kb) the 90kb version just worked...

thanks for the comments Malus/ Idaho. texture was rushed as i have a sh_t load of work to do before E3... life can be cruel.

Submitted by Dan Ward on Sun, 06/04/03 - 6:50 PM Permalink

Thought id give some feedback here rather than the voting thread, I'm going to try and give feedback on everyone's models from now on. Afterall that's why we are here, glory posts are nice but we only improve with good C&C.

*Disclaimer these are my personal opinions you can take or leave them as you see fit.

First up I have no idea who or what Yukito Kishiro is so I didn't really get this concept.

The mesh is neat but I feel the body is way to rigid/angular and alot of polys were spent on details that don't give much impact or do much for the models form.

Personally I don't like the boots .. there's something seriously funky going on with the top of his/her foot but again im not sure who the concept is so I don't know if that's how its supposed to be.

You haven't posted your UVmap so I cant comment on that but I assume its good because I cant see any obvious seams.

I like the texture it looks very nicely put together.

Overall I this model didn't trigger my "cool" switch, im sure that its because I don't know who it is your referencing because ive seen your other stuff and it looks great, actually it was your Danger Girl model that inspired me to sit down and start playing with Max :)

Posted by davidcoen on

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/7_last_00L.jpg[/img]

http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/7_last_00L.jpg

what the hell is up with winXP/nis/ftp, having to go back to an old machine to upload any files to the internet

anyway, concept yukiyo kishiro, 2994 triangles. will uv and texture in a bit.

DSC

(note, i am not a forum nazi (glares at souri, we don't have enough people here to have this degree of sorting on the forums, IMHO) feel free to C&C artwork (comment and critique) or otherwise commnet on the thread...)

Submitted by souri on Tue, 01/04/03 - 11:27 AM Permalink

(note, i am not a forum nazi (glares at souri, we don't have enough people here to have this degree of sorting on the forums, IMHO)

Can you expand on this? I'm not quite sure on what you mean..

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 02/04/03 - 11:48 AM Permalink

I think her head is pretty large, and her legs could probably be longer - see how the image nicely lines up with the concept..

other than that, good job.

Submitted by davidcoen on Wed, 02/04/03 - 1:15 PM Permalink

think i fixed the proportions SB, but that will teach me to have head tilted forward in preview with head tiltled back in the reference...

DSC

Submitted by souri on Wed, 02/04/03 - 1:55 PM Permalink

If you have any suggestions on cutting down the amount of forum sections, I'm all ears.. post it in the suggestion section. I'm not sure why the upload isn't working for you. It's the same upload code that's been working on the site for the last 10 months.. There are issues if you use a browser like Opera, however. If you can give me more details, it would help.

Submitted by davidcoen on Wed, 02/04/03 - 8:24 PM Permalink

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/7_last_01L.jpg[/img]
concept from Yukito Kishiro (battle angel alita, last order)

3 days work, rushed the texture (it is mostly a rust pic from a 'royalty free photo cd' then two skin textures from http://astronomy.swin.edu.au ) the vertex colour and global illumination texture bases are from my own code :)

and a resized version of the texture 512x512 http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/7_last_02L.jpg

souri, the upload problems are my end. have to keep on unpacking my old machine whenever i want to upload files >25kb it seems (on old machine and sumea works fine, ftp busted though, not your problem...)

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 03/04/03 - 12:44 AM Permalink

Nice model David. Textures a bit rushed though, you should really give it a bit more work, the mesh deserves it. [:P]

Why do you want the amount of forums sections cut down?

Submitted by Idaho on Sat, 05/04/03 - 2:44 AM Permalink

great work i really like your style

Submitted by davidcoen on Sat, 05/04/03 - 11:58 AM Permalink

[IMG]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/7_again3.jpg[/IMG]

here Souri, didn't realise you have asked for 1024x512 multiple view format for previews~ also made the texture a bit lighter to make it easier to see
uninstalled nortain internet security, but just had two scipt timeouts trying to upload this image (one 150kb, then a 140kb) the 90kb version just worked...

thanks for the comments Malus/ Idaho. texture was rushed as i have a sh_t load of work to do before E3... life can be cruel.

Submitted by Dan Ward on Sun, 06/04/03 - 6:50 PM Permalink

Thought id give some feedback here rather than the voting thread, I'm going to try and give feedback on everyone's models from now on. Afterall that's why we are here, glory posts are nice but we only improve with good C&C.

*Disclaimer these are my personal opinions you can take or leave them as you see fit.

First up I have no idea who or what Yukito Kishiro is so I didn't really get this concept.

The mesh is neat but I feel the body is way to rigid/angular and alot of polys were spent on details that don't give much impact or do much for the models form.

Personally I don't like the boots .. there's something seriously funky going on with the top of his/her foot but again im not sure who the concept is so I don't know if that's how its supposed to be.

You haven't posted your UVmap so I cant comment on that but I assume its good because I cant see any obvious seams.

I like the texture it looks very nicely put together.

Overall I this model didn't trigger my "cool" switch, im sure that its because I don't know who it is your referencing because ive seen your other stuff and it looks great, actually it was your Danger Girl model that inspired me to sit down and start playing with Max :)