Skip to main content

Australian Games Industry 2018-19 snapshot

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on

https://www.ingames.com.au/news/read/australian-game-development-grows-…

Pretty interesting results from IGEA's latest survey on the Australian game development industry, particularly:

- industry growth of 20%
- 1275 full time employees
- over half of Australian studios are less than 5 years old
- 61% develop their own I.P
- 73% develop games for PC, compared to 55% for mobile

Submitted by mgarcia on Mon, 02/12/19 - 12:34 PM Permalink

I saw these stats and thought that's great!
But the big problem with the stats is:
1. over half of Australian studios are less than 5 years old
2. most target PC and mobiles, which IMO are pretty bad platforms for video games and unsustainable..

Posted by souri on

https://www.ingames.com.au/news/read/australian-game-development-grows-…

Pretty interesting results from IGEA's latest survey on the Australian game development industry, particularly:

- industry growth of 20%
- 1275 full time employees
- over half of Australian studios are less than 5 years old
- 61% develop their own I.P
- 73% develop games for PC, compared to 55% for mobile

Submitted by mgarcia on Mon, 02/12/19 - 12:34 PM Permalink

I saw these stats and thought that's great!
But the big problem with the stats is:
1. over half of Australian studios are less than 5 years old
2. most target PC and mobiles, which IMO are pretty bad platforms for video games and unsustainable..