With the upcoming events in November that I am attending such as Levelup, iDEF and GCAP I am working hard to produce a worthwhile portfolio to be proud to pass along to companies or agencies with the hope of a position in the games industry. Now I've read a lot of material regarding what is good for a portfolio with regards to game design, and to a lesser extent level design, and am currently working on many projects but time is getting the best of me with full-time work as well.
So I ask two questions based on the list of projects I'm undertaking below:
1) Are they all viable projects, or are there better projects I could undertake in my time?
2) What would you prioritise out of the following given the time, difficulty and usefulness towards my portfolio?
Current Projects (with current priority):
1) White Paper Complete Game Design Document - 60% complete - approx 20 hours remaining
2) Team Fortress 2 Map (Hammer Editor) - 25% complete - approx 30 hours remaining
3) Inform Fiction - 25% complete - approx 20 hours remaining
4) Game Review/Critique - 0% - approx 2-4 hours per review
5) Game Design Article - 0% - approx 5-10 hours per article
6) Maya-created Map - 10% complete - approx 60 hours remaining
7) White Paper Game Design Concepts - 0% - approx 10-20 hours per concept
For arguments sake, believe I have done nothing before this (though I have, a lot of it falls back into university assignments).
Thanks in advance for any feedback.