Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #4 -3D-J.I. Styles- Challenger #10

Submitted by J I Styles on

'ello fellow sumeans - just thought I'd join the fray [B)]

Concept: Basic creature and weapon concept
The following is the basic design of my "bare" demonic overlord. As he is, he's minus his ceromonial/regal garb which I plan on concepting seperately once modelling is underway. I thought I'd also throw in a bit of originality to seperate my final from the others in that I plan on also making him his throne to sit at, within the limitations set.

Enough blabberising! show us the pic already damn yoooo! yeah yeah...

[img]http://www.garandnet.net/~malakai/content/bin/sumea_demon_concept1_fina…]

Crits, comments, sexual favours... all encouraged ;)

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sun, 31/08/03 - 12:21 AM Permalink

Quite cool looking concept although some proportional issues in the drawing (I'm a proportions Nazi)are evident. Either his biceps are too large, or his shoulders are too small. The pecs don't quite look right either - as the inner chest is very 'ripped' but the outer parts of the pectorals are very flabby. If you want it to look flabby, you should lose the definition in the middle of the chest.

I like the codpiece and the twin bladed lance/scepter.

Very nice shading. Any tips?

Submitted by Piss Poor on Sun, 31/08/03 - 12:37 AM Permalink

very nice man, really like your style. i?m particularly fond of his crazy eyes
the only thing i can say it that the head of the axe/spear doesn?t look to be at the same perspective as the rest of the weapon, you need to be a bit careful of that:)

keep up the good work mate

Submitted by Ninja on Sun, 31/08/03 - 12:52 AM Permalink

Nice concept J.I [:)] i love the twin bladed axe its very kool....[8)]

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 01/09/03 - 4:50 AM Permalink

JonathanKerr: hehe, maybe not a proportions nazi... more of an avid proportions zealot ;)

You're absolutely right - his biceps are elongated and bulbous where there should be an inner indentation where the muscle wraps around and the cartledge starts too. There's many problems but I figure I've spent all the time I want to just to get his base idea across :) Call me lazy; I may fix him up in time for his final.

Ninja: Danke - although I got kind of fond of his original weapon *snicker* (sorry, bit of an in-joke there for those who know [;)] )

Piss_Poor: yah, it's sadly glaringly obvious - perspective and volumes have always been my weak points in 2D... I originally wanted the shaft to taper in and have the knobbed end (that sounds rather phallic), but the angle of his arm and hand and his shouldering it meant that I was also pushing it back which I obviously didn't compensate for in the blade [xx(]

Enough excuses! Back to work!!

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 01/09/03 - 9:33 AM Permalink

Hey Styles, glad your entering the comp.
Interesting design. He looks crazy and unpredictable, good stuff.
Although I must admit, he looks to me like he is wearing a nappie (not the leather strap part). I dunno, maybe its just the way you shaded it or the colours or becuase its 2D.
Did you say you will including a throne as a part of the limit, does this mean with the 512 texture sheet, if so that would be quite a challenge :)
looking forward to seeing it finished.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Mon, 01/09/03 - 10:33 AM Permalink

Joel, next time you want to get perspective on a weapon, use max to do it.. Then photoshop it in.

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 01/09/03 - 7:05 PM Permalink

Yeah!! A fatty! Woohoo love the fat guys. [:P]
Good to see you enter, can't wait to see him unfold.

Sorcerer Bob: Thats a cool work around but it doesn't actively help you get better at perspective.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 02/09/03 - 12:57 AM Permalink

True Malus, but I think it can be helpful if you're looking for confirmation that you've done it right.

Submitted by 5 Lives Studios on Thu, 11/09/03 - 10:12 AM Permalink

Can't wait to see this model.

I love your stuff Mr Styles.

The weapon looks like it has some influence Quakewise

The skull on he's loin looks concerned don't ya think[:D]

Submitted by goodgod on Thu, 11/09/03 - 11:11 AM Permalink

Ooow gross, get it away from me.[}:)]

Submitted by nealb4me on Mon, 15/09/03 - 11:12 PM Permalink

I like the style of your painting, I also think that it has some quake-like qualities which definately is not a bad thing :P

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 18/09/03 - 6:54 PM Permalink

Just a little text update, no images just yet - I've finally gotten to modelling, around half way done.

Finally! The jolly fat demon shall at last be born from poly and vert!

I'm not lazy... well, ok I am a little... but I'm also busy [;)] I've promised myself I'll get him done though [:)]

Submitted by Ionized on Fri, 19/09/03 - 2:46 AM Permalink

Alas, I am just seeing a red x. Will come back later and see what you got.

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 19/09/03 - 8:37 PM Permalink

Enough excuses! Get back to work!!

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 20/09/03 - 10:47 PM Permalink

good start.
his chest is off- too much firmness there for a fat guy.
and even if it was muscle is wrong as well.

but its still wip so im sure you know what your doing :)

keep it up :)

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 23/09/03 - 1:58 AM Permalink

you're right about the chest - I flabbed it up a little more and added some more sag to it - modelling finished, he's unwrapped, and texturing started.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 23/09/03 - 3:36 AM Permalink

Thats going to be a hard one to beat Joel....damn you! [:P]
Seriously, great job.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 23/09/03 - 3:48 AM Permalink

can we see that update?

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 23/09/03 - 9:21 PM Permalink

danke Malus! I doubt I can compete with your entry - great design, good "spice" to give it that cool factor in its uniqueness - plus it's got breasts! How can I compete?! [:D]

inglis: planning an update tonight

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 23/09/03 - 10:38 PM Permalink

lol, I think yours is a much better design than my one, can't comment on the construction because you got no wires, I'm feeble and need wires. [:P]

Submitted by jacobt on Wed, 24/09/03 - 8:54 PM Permalink

Looks great so far J.I, can we see a wire? I kinda prefer the fingers/claws in your concept, much more defined, less tapered. But I'm diggin the arms and legs especially.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 25/09/03 - 1:24 AM Permalink

I think the hands could be beefed up.. fingers could be thicker and with more definition.

Good going though

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 25/09/03 - 1:31 AM Permalink

yup, playing around with the hands atm - just merging the weapon and it's tex coords into it so I can have his weapon in the specs with him - texture base nearly done, then it's down to detailing and making refinements to add realism like age spots, scarring, motley skin variations, etc

For that special oomph, should be very lord-like in the final with my special little spicey thang I'm planning [;)]

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 25/09/03 - 8:49 AM Permalink

waiting to see JIStyles' spicey thang (so how is the weapon going?), but anyhoo,

biomechanics would have the arms/ legs getting longer as there are less digits on them.... FYI

my thoughts? any thoughts on making the head a bit smaller or moving the knees up or elbos down a bit? Quite liked the spindly metal clothing supports in the concept by the way....

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 25/09/03 - 10:20 AM Permalink

welllll...

lookit that! He finally updated, the lazy git...

[img]http://www.uploadit.org/files/240903-sumea_demon_wip02.jpg[/img]

First texture pass - just getting in tones and colours, a lot of parts have only got flat colours and and base shading still.

so I haven't even touched lower arms/hands, horns/nails/toenails, skull string, "modesty flaps", shoulder brace, majority of the weapon.

Stuff you can't see is the little localised details - stringy saliva in the jaws and spittle coming off the tongue, remains of hair on the skull etc - hard to see in a still, but pops out in motion quite nicely - guess I'm just a sucker for this kind of little detail [:)]

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 25/09/03 - 6:48 PM Permalink

Ooooooooo...ahhhhhhhhh...weeeeee...haaaa.
Looking good, number 1 so far.

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 25/09/03 - 7:34 PM Permalink

daaaaaaaamn man !!! those textures are awesome !!! but i have to agree with jacobt though about the fingers cause the fingers on him now is skinny [:)] from the concept they look a little thicker and will pretty much suit the model... apart from that u have absolutely got it down exactly like the concept.....

great job as usual joel u always impress me with the way you texture. Very well done.

chris... [:)]

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 25/09/03 - 7:53 PM Permalink

The fat rolls in the stomach look superb, but the chest is still anatomically incorrect. How can you have 'ripped' inner muscles in the centre of the chest but have saggy drooping areas in the lower part of the breast?

It's a very nice concept and great texture work, although it's a little bland for my tastes. On the plus side, it's also one of the best conversions of concept to 3d model.

BTW - where is the promised regalia? The costume is a bit simplistic.

Sorry if this sounds negative, not intended this way -- it's an excellent piece of work. It sounds like you weren't able to spend as much time on it as you wished.

Ooops - just re-read and realised that some extra texture work is still to be done. Apologies.

Posted by J I Styles on

'ello fellow sumeans - just thought I'd join the fray [B)]

Concept: Basic creature and weapon concept
The following is the basic design of my "bare" demonic overlord. As he is, he's minus his ceromonial/regal garb which I plan on concepting seperately once modelling is underway. I thought I'd also throw in a bit of originality to seperate my final from the others in that I plan on also making him his throne to sit at, within the limitations set.

Enough blabberising! show us the pic already damn yoooo! yeah yeah...

[img]http://www.garandnet.net/~malakai/content/bin/sumea_demon_concept1_fina…]

Crits, comments, sexual favours... all encouraged ;)

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sun, 31/08/03 - 12:21 AM Permalink

Quite cool looking concept although some proportional issues in the drawing (I'm a proportions Nazi)are evident. Either his biceps are too large, or his shoulders are too small. The pecs don't quite look right either - as the inner chest is very 'ripped' but the outer parts of the pectorals are very flabby. If you want it to look flabby, you should lose the definition in the middle of the chest.

I like the codpiece and the twin bladed lance/scepter.

Very nice shading. Any tips?

Submitted by Piss Poor on Sun, 31/08/03 - 12:37 AM Permalink

very nice man, really like your style. i?m particularly fond of his crazy eyes
the only thing i can say it that the head of the axe/spear doesn?t look to be at the same perspective as the rest of the weapon, you need to be a bit careful of that:)

keep up the good work mate

Submitted by Ninja on Sun, 31/08/03 - 12:52 AM Permalink

Nice concept J.I [:)] i love the twin bladed axe its very kool....[8)]

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 01/09/03 - 4:50 AM Permalink

JonathanKerr: hehe, maybe not a proportions nazi... more of an avid proportions zealot ;)

You're absolutely right - his biceps are elongated and bulbous where there should be an inner indentation where the muscle wraps around and the cartledge starts too. There's many problems but I figure I've spent all the time I want to just to get his base idea across :) Call me lazy; I may fix him up in time for his final.

Ninja: Danke - although I got kind of fond of his original weapon *snicker* (sorry, bit of an in-joke there for those who know [;)] )

Piss_Poor: yah, it's sadly glaringly obvious - perspective and volumes have always been my weak points in 2D... I originally wanted the shaft to taper in and have the knobbed end (that sounds rather phallic), but the angle of his arm and hand and his shouldering it meant that I was also pushing it back which I obviously didn't compensate for in the blade [xx(]

Enough excuses! Back to work!!

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 01/09/03 - 9:33 AM Permalink

Hey Styles, glad your entering the comp.
Interesting design. He looks crazy and unpredictable, good stuff.
Although I must admit, he looks to me like he is wearing a nappie (not the leather strap part). I dunno, maybe its just the way you shaded it or the colours or becuase its 2D.
Did you say you will including a throne as a part of the limit, does this mean with the 512 texture sheet, if so that would be quite a challenge :)
looking forward to seeing it finished.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Mon, 01/09/03 - 10:33 AM Permalink

Joel, next time you want to get perspective on a weapon, use max to do it.. Then photoshop it in.

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 01/09/03 - 7:05 PM Permalink

Yeah!! A fatty! Woohoo love the fat guys. [:P]
Good to see you enter, can't wait to see him unfold.

Sorcerer Bob: Thats a cool work around but it doesn't actively help you get better at perspective.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 02/09/03 - 12:57 AM Permalink

True Malus, but I think it can be helpful if you're looking for confirmation that you've done it right.

Submitted by 5 Lives Studios on Thu, 11/09/03 - 10:12 AM Permalink

Can't wait to see this model.

I love your stuff Mr Styles.

The weapon looks like it has some influence Quakewise

The skull on he's loin looks concerned don't ya think[:D]

Submitted by goodgod on Thu, 11/09/03 - 11:11 AM Permalink

Ooow gross, get it away from me.[}:)]

Submitted by nealb4me on Mon, 15/09/03 - 11:12 PM Permalink

I like the style of your painting, I also think that it has some quake-like qualities which definately is not a bad thing :P

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 18/09/03 - 6:54 PM Permalink

Just a little text update, no images just yet - I've finally gotten to modelling, around half way done.

Finally! The jolly fat demon shall at last be born from poly and vert!

I'm not lazy... well, ok I am a little... but I'm also busy [;)] I've promised myself I'll get him done though [:)]

Submitted by Ionized on Fri, 19/09/03 - 2:46 AM Permalink

Alas, I am just seeing a red x. Will come back later and see what you got.

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 19/09/03 - 8:37 PM Permalink

Enough excuses! Get back to work!!

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 20/09/03 - 10:47 PM Permalink

good start.
his chest is off- too much firmness there for a fat guy.
and even if it was muscle is wrong as well.

but its still wip so im sure you know what your doing :)

keep it up :)

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 23/09/03 - 1:58 AM Permalink

you're right about the chest - I flabbed it up a little more and added some more sag to it - modelling finished, he's unwrapped, and texturing started.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 23/09/03 - 3:36 AM Permalink

Thats going to be a hard one to beat Joel....damn you! [:P]
Seriously, great job.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 23/09/03 - 3:48 AM Permalink

can we see that update?

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 23/09/03 - 9:21 PM Permalink

danke Malus! I doubt I can compete with your entry - great design, good "spice" to give it that cool factor in its uniqueness - plus it's got breasts! How can I compete?! [:D]

inglis: planning an update tonight

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 23/09/03 - 10:38 PM Permalink

lol, I think yours is a much better design than my one, can't comment on the construction because you got no wires, I'm feeble and need wires. [:P]

Submitted by jacobt on Wed, 24/09/03 - 8:54 PM Permalink

Looks great so far J.I, can we see a wire? I kinda prefer the fingers/claws in your concept, much more defined, less tapered. But I'm diggin the arms and legs especially.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 25/09/03 - 1:24 AM Permalink

I think the hands could be beefed up.. fingers could be thicker and with more definition.

Good going though

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 25/09/03 - 1:31 AM Permalink

yup, playing around with the hands atm - just merging the weapon and it's tex coords into it so I can have his weapon in the specs with him - texture base nearly done, then it's down to detailing and making refinements to add realism like age spots, scarring, motley skin variations, etc

For that special oomph, should be very lord-like in the final with my special little spicey thang I'm planning [;)]

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 25/09/03 - 8:49 AM Permalink

waiting to see JIStyles' spicey thang (so how is the weapon going?), but anyhoo,

biomechanics would have the arms/ legs getting longer as there are less digits on them.... FYI

my thoughts? any thoughts on making the head a bit smaller or moving the knees up or elbos down a bit? Quite liked the spindly metal clothing supports in the concept by the way....

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 25/09/03 - 10:20 AM Permalink

welllll...

lookit that! He finally updated, the lazy git...

[img]http://www.uploadit.org/files/240903-sumea_demon_wip02.jpg[/img]

First texture pass - just getting in tones and colours, a lot of parts have only got flat colours and and base shading still.

so I haven't even touched lower arms/hands, horns/nails/toenails, skull string, "modesty flaps", shoulder brace, majority of the weapon.

Stuff you can't see is the little localised details - stringy saliva in the jaws and spittle coming off the tongue, remains of hair on the skull etc - hard to see in a still, but pops out in motion quite nicely - guess I'm just a sucker for this kind of little detail [:)]

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 25/09/03 - 6:48 PM Permalink

Ooooooooo...ahhhhhhhhh...weeeeee...haaaa.
Looking good, number 1 so far.

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 25/09/03 - 7:34 PM Permalink

daaaaaaaamn man !!! those textures are awesome !!! but i have to agree with jacobt though about the fingers cause the fingers on him now is skinny [:)] from the concept they look a little thicker and will pretty much suit the model... apart from that u have absolutely got it down exactly like the concept.....

great job as usual joel u always impress me with the way you texture. Very well done.

chris... [:)]

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 25/09/03 - 7:53 PM Permalink

The fat rolls in the stomach look superb, but the chest is still anatomically incorrect. How can you have 'ripped' inner muscles in the centre of the chest but have saggy drooping areas in the lower part of the breast?

It's a very nice concept and great texture work, although it's a little bland for my tastes. On the plus side, it's also one of the best conversions of concept to 3d model.

BTW - where is the promised regalia? The costume is a bit simplistic.

Sorry if this sounds negative, not intended this way -- it's an excellent piece of work. It sounds like you weren't able to spend as much time on it as you wished.

Ooops - just re-read and realised that some extra texture work is still to be done. Apologies.