Skip to main content

One game on a deserted island

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Ok, I saw this comment elsewhere and I'd be interested in hearing your answers.

If there was one game you could take with you on a deserted island for a long, long time, which would it be?

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 30/06/05 - 12:41 PM Permalink

Presuming there was a console to play it with - I'd take Phantasy Star III - The Generations of doom on Sega Megadrive. Without a doubt the RPG ive spent most time playing - (above 250hours) and still havent seen all the generations and played through their stories.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Thu, 30/06/05 - 1:05 PM Permalink

Ummmm Thats a tough one! there are so many different games I would want to take!

It's probably a toss up between Guild Wars or Disgea. I'm not as obsessed with Disgea as I am with Guild Wars, but the amount of time you *could* waste on Disgea could probably outwiegh Guild Wars.

I'd really love to get all my characters in Disgea up to level 5000! [:D]

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 30/06/05 - 7:18 PM Permalink

morrowind would last me forever.

Submitted by AntsZ on Thu, 30/06/05 - 7:33 PM Permalink

hmmm yeah its a tossup between morrowind and Ragnarok Online

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 01/07/05 - 12:35 AM Permalink

Well I'm not sure about this one too...

If World of Warcraft did not exist, I would probably take Donkey Kong Country 2 or 3. Donkey Kong roxors my boxors! Omg wtf am I talking about?!? Damn u WoW!

I still exist by the way, I have just not had time to come to Sumea forums much with Uni and all. But I'm back for a brief amount of time!

Submitted by poser on Fri, 01/07/05 - 3:19 AM Permalink

Are you people joking???

If I was stranded on a desert island I'd be thinking about which women not which computer game. Boy you people really are into this stuff.

Submitted by rezn0r on Fri, 01/07/05 - 3:29 AM Permalink

Jagged Alliance 2! That game is like a "toy box" that you can do almost anything in.

Scott.

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 01/07/05 - 3:58 AM Permalink

For PC I?d definitely take Guild Wars; apart from my current addiction to it, I think the game could last me forever. GW has a lot of places to explore and heaps of monsters to kill, though, I tend to stay away from the trolls. [;)]

*cough*

Er, and for PS2 I?d take Gran Turismo 4, as GT is the one game I can easily keep coming back to.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Fri, 01/07/05 - 4:45 AM Permalink

Yep Reznor - I like the cut 'o yer jib.

I'd probably pick something that shipped with a full modding support and docs so I could finally catch up on my game dev :)

HL2+SDK? UT2K4 maybe?

Then I'd just plug my non existent PC into the nearest palm tree and crank out game after game for the trolls monkeys to play.

Submitted by Jacana on Fri, 01/07/05 - 4:59 AM Permalink

I would have to say an MMO :) If I were stuck on an island with only a game I'd sure want someone to talk to!

Submitted by denz on Fri, 01/07/05 - 7:38 AM Permalink

If you had net access, why would you be on the deserted island for 'a long, long time'?

Surely you would call for help, rather then be stuck by yourself with your one game.

One game, hmmmmmm, probably something with a soundtrack i like.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 01/07/05 - 8:03 AM Permalink

Yes, you're all cheating. No online games. [:D]

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 01/07/05 - 9:40 AM Permalink

for longevity, H.E.R.O on the atari 2600 [:)]

otherwise DOA beach volleyball -- that way I can name the ball Wilson, and togethor we will combine our efforts to escape the island.

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 01/07/05 - 5:43 PM Permalink

But if the island had power and a game console, why not the net? But the PC has a virus that doesn?t let you do anything except play your one game?
GuildWars chat:
?Help, I?m stranded on a deserted island somewhere!?
?WTS firery broadsword?
?No I?m serious, help me!?
?Just map to a town dude..?
?No, in real life, I?m lost on a deserted island. My plane crashed??
?WTS firery broadsword?
?

As for island games;
Lost the game when/if it gets made, because it?s also set on a kooky island where weird things happen like palm trees with power supplies. Or Spy VS Spy for C64. That was also on a deserted island.

Submitted by Morphine on Wed, 06/07/05 - 9:15 AM Permalink

*Rubs hands eagerly awaiting Oblivion* :D

Submitted by Mdobele on Wed, 06/07/05 - 7:03 PM Permalink

Snake Rattle n Roll on the good ole Nintendo 8 bit ( NES )

One of the few games where I still just cant beat the end boss. Drives me nuts.

Submitted by Rensa on Thu, 07/07/05 - 3:44 AM Permalink

Perfect Dark, probably. God, I clocked a lot of time into that game when it came out. It took me an eternity to hit level one in multiplayer mode.

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 07/07/05 - 6:53 PM Permalink

lol, i never made level 1, as much as i wanted to i it took so long to raise the latter levels that i kept being distracted by new games and eventually stoped playing it. i was satisfyed though, i'd beaten the entire game in singleplayer (minus a few cheats) and beaten all the challenges in 1player multiplayer (my brothers just wern't good enough to help me with the 2 and 3 player versions).

so come to think of it, if morrowind is the game i would bring becuase it contains the most content to play through, then perfect dark would be the game i would bring because it is the game i could play for the longest time for pure enjoyment.

Submitted by Ponkavitch on Thu, 07/07/05 - 9:35 PM Permalink

for My it would have to be Civ2. i must lost hundreds of hours the that game. I hope Civ4 will be better than 3 was.

-Chris

Submitted by Rosco on Fri, 08/07/05 - 12:08 AM Permalink

Either Solitaire or Tetris.....You are talking about forever after all....

Submitted by Caroo on Fri, 08/07/05 - 5:17 AM Permalink

Nah. TWO player solitaire and i'd train the monkeys on the island to play it. GO my prittys!! GO!!! MWHAHAHAH!!!

Submitted by souri on Tue, 12/07/05 - 3:09 PM Permalink

I had a preference of either Tetris or Bejewelled 2, and then I realised that I would probably get bored of them probably within a few months. I came to the conclusion that maybe a deck of cards would be better than a game for longevity, and then I remembered this great card game on the Amiga. It had 5 or so variations of Solitaire, and 15 or so other card games that you can play by yourself. The kicker is that you could play all the card games in succession and have your score saved in the highscore table. I seriously killed so much time with that game and trying to beat old scores. There's something about card games like Solitaire that you can play it forever.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Wed, 13/07/05 - 1:19 AM Permalink

Ahh solitare :D
But I dont think I could ever beat my time score on Windows solitare... I nailed it down to 62 seconds in some freak game... I must have been bored back then.

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 13/07/05 - 1:35 AM Permalink

i once had a game where i couldnt do anything - no card could be moved anywhere. gameover before i was able to even begin! kind of exciting to find such a layout actually.

Posted by souri on
Forum

Ok, I saw this comment elsewhere and I'd be interested in hearing your answers.

If there was one game you could take with you on a deserted island for a long, long time, which would it be?

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 30/06/05 - 12:41 PM Permalink

Presuming there was a console to play it with - I'd take Phantasy Star III - The Generations of doom on Sega Megadrive. Without a doubt the RPG ive spent most time playing - (above 250hours) and still havent seen all the generations and played through their stories.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Thu, 30/06/05 - 1:05 PM Permalink

Ummmm Thats a tough one! there are so many different games I would want to take!

It's probably a toss up between Guild Wars or Disgea. I'm not as obsessed with Disgea as I am with Guild Wars, but the amount of time you *could* waste on Disgea could probably outwiegh Guild Wars.

I'd really love to get all my characters in Disgea up to level 5000! [:D]

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 30/06/05 - 7:18 PM Permalink

morrowind would last me forever.

Submitted by AntsZ on Thu, 30/06/05 - 7:33 PM Permalink

hmmm yeah its a tossup between morrowind and Ragnarok Online

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 01/07/05 - 12:35 AM Permalink

Well I'm not sure about this one too...

If World of Warcraft did not exist, I would probably take Donkey Kong Country 2 or 3. Donkey Kong roxors my boxors! Omg wtf am I talking about?!? Damn u WoW!

I still exist by the way, I have just not had time to come to Sumea forums much with Uni and all. But I'm back for a brief amount of time!

Submitted by poser on Fri, 01/07/05 - 3:19 AM Permalink

Are you people joking???

If I was stranded on a desert island I'd be thinking about which women not which computer game. Boy you people really are into this stuff.

Submitted by rezn0r on Fri, 01/07/05 - 3:29 AM Permalink

Jagged Alliance 2! That game is like a "toy box" that you can do almost anything in.

Scott.

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 01/07/05 - 3:58 AM Permalink

For PC I?d definitely take Guild Wars; apart from my current addiction to it, I think the game could last me forever. GW has a lot of places to explore and heaps of monsters to kill, though, I tend to stay away from the trolls. [;)]

*cough*

Er, and for PS2 I?d take Gran Turismo 4, as GT is the one game I can easily keep coming back to.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Fri, 01/07/05 - 4:45 AM Permalink

Yep Reznor - I like the cut 'o yer jib.

I'd probably pick something that shipped with a full modding support and docs so I could finally catch up on my game dev :)

HL2+SDK? UT2K4 maybe?

Then I'd just plug my non existent PC into the nearest palm tree and crank out game after game for the trolls monkeys to play.

Submitted by Jacana on Fri, 01/07/05 - 4:59 AM Permalink

I would have to say an MMO :) If I were stuck on an island with only a game I'd sure want someone to talk to!

Submitted by denz on Fri, 01/07/05 - 7:38 AM Permalink

If you had net access, why would you be on the deserted island for 'a long, long time'?

Surely you would call for help, rather then be stuck by yourself with your one game.

One game, hmmmmmm, probably something with a soundtrack i like.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 01/07/05 - 8:03 AM Permalink

Yes, you're all cheating. No online games. [:D]

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 01/07/05 - 9:40 AM Permalink

for longevity, H.E.R.O on the atari 2600 [:)]

otherwise DOA beach volleyball -- that way I can name the ball Wilson, and togethor we will combine our efforts to escape the island.

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 01/07/05 - 5:43 PM Permalink

But if the island had power and a game console, why not the net? But the PC has a virus that doesn?t let you do anything except play your one game?
GuildWars chat:
?Help, I?m stranded on a deserted island somewhere!?
?WTS firery broadsword?
?No I?m serious, help me!?
?Just map to a town dude..?
?No, in real life, I?m lost on a deserted island. My plane crashed??
?WTS firery broadsword?
?

As for island games;
Lost the game when/if it gets made, because it?s also set on a kooky island where weird things happen like palm trees with power supplies. Or Spy VS Spy for C64. That was also on a deserted island.

Submitted by Morphine on Wed, 06/07/05 - 9:15 AM Permalink

*Rubs hands eagerly awaiting Oblivion* :D

Submitted by Mdobele on Wed, 06/07/05 - 7:03 PM Permalink

Snake Rattle n Roll on the good ole Nintendo 8 bit ( NES )

One of the few games where I still just cant beat the end boss. Drives me nuts.

Submitted by Rensa on Thu, 07/07/05 - 3:44 AM Permalink

Perfect Dark, probably. God, I clocked a lot of time into that game when it came out. It took me an eternity to hit level one in multiplayer mode.

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 07/07/05 - 6:53 PM Permalink

lol, i never made level 1, as much as i wanted to i it took so long to raise the latter levels that i kept being distracted by new games and eventually stoped playing it. i was satisfyed though, i'd beaten the entire game in singleplayer (minus a few cheats) and beaten all the challenges in 1player multiplayer (my brothers just wern't good enough to help me with the 2 and 3 player versions).

so come to think of it, if morrowind is the game i would bring becuase it contains the most content to play through, then perfect dark would be the game i would bring because it is the game i could play for the longest time for pure enjoyment.

Submitted by Ponkavitch on Thu, 07/07/05 - 9:35 PM Permalink

for My it would have to be Civ2. i must lost hundreds of hours the that game. I hope Civ4 will be better than 3 was.

-Chris

Submitted by Rosco on Fri, 08/07/05 - 12:08 AM Permalink

Either Solitaire or Tetris.....You are talking about forever after all....

Submitted by Caroo on Fri, 08/07/05 - 5:17 AM Permalink

Nah. TWO player solitaire and i'd train the monkeys on the island to play it. GO my prittys!! GO!!! MWHAHAHAH!!!

Submitted by souri on Tue, 12/07/05 - 3:09 PM Permalink

I had a preference of either Tetris or Bejewelled 2, and then I realised that I would probably get bored of them probably within a few months. I came to the conclusion that maybe a deck of cards would be better than a game for longevity, and then I remembered this great card game on the Amiga. It had 5 or so variations of Solitaire, and 15 or so other card games that you can play by yourself. The kicker is that you could play all the card games in succession and have your score saved in the highscore table. I seriously killed so much time with that game and trying to beat old scores. There's something about card games like Solitaire that you can play it forever.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Wed, 13/07/05 - 1:19 AM Permalink

Ahh solitare :D
But I dont think I could ever beat my time score on Windows solitare... I nailed it down to 62 seconds in some freak game... I must have been bored back then.

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 13/07/05 - 1:35 AM Permalink

i once had a game where i couldnt do anything - no card could be moved anywhere. gameover before i was able to even begin! kind of exciting to find such a layout actually.