Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #3 -3D- 'Doord'

Submitted by Doord on

I don't think this fits the comp that well, or if I will have the time to get it done. But i gave me something to do last sunday, after a few big nights.

Oh i have no scaner so I took a photo.

Model so far.

http://www.geocities.com/doord/Rider.htm

(Old model re-build a fair bit, I would like to say that the rule don't say that you are not able to use an old model, anyway if i did model a new character I would have used parts from my other ones anyway. I'm just looking for a reason the finsh the character because the MOD it was for died. I'm happy to be called a cheater and caned from the comp, but this is all in fun alway and after all I have very little time to work on this, and using the old model give me a little head start even after I didn't start with the Comp until a week after it started.)

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 30/05/03 - 10:32 PM Permalink

dead links? - could be cause you're using geocities. I don't think it'll let you post external links.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 31/05/03 - 12:21 AM Permalink

You cannot direct link to images on geocities, place them in a basic html and post the link for that, or if people are desperate for a peek just drag and drop the link into your address bar it should work (if not add a ? at the end)

Other then that you need to compress those images almost 300k for a black and white image is not 56k user friendly.

But nice rino 'esk concept.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Ninja on Sun, 01/06/03 - 3:01 AM Permalink

awesome concept and model doord...... can we see some shaded wire frames =)

Submitted by Doord on Sun, 01/06/03 - 6:11 AM Permalink

I know that Pants, thanks anyway :) I have been very buzy at work and haven't got on my computer for about 3 weeks. The modeling was done at work (just staying back after work and working on it.) And the concept was done on the Bus to work (thank god I don't have to ride them things any more:)

I will get a wire frame up and fix the rest of the stuff on sunday, if you are luckly I will model the beast up to.

By the way the character is a very small amount under 3000 (I can't tell you what it is because I don't have Max on this computer) The sword is about 650 if I remember right.

Thank you to the poeple which took the time to have a look, and to the rest of you, haa haa you will just have to miss out for a bit.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Mon, 02/06/03 - 9:15 AM Permalink

Kodo beast and frostmourne eh :)

I'm dissapointed you recycled the ozjack guy though.. He's cool, but i wanted to see a new character from you :P

I know how busy you are with work though, so its all good..

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 02/06/03 - 7:45 PM Permalink

Yeah Bob I need a reason to get him finshed. And this look like a good reason, I have a little warcraft stroy for this guy to, which I maybe will add to the package.

I have been thinking of changing the OzJack character to fit into the beast more, but now that I have the beast half made I will not have to :)

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 03/06/03 - 6:47 AM Permalink

I don't think you should be canned from the comp, its just good that the judges can now take that info into account thats all.

Good on you for letting us know man.

I agree the comp should state if you can or can't use premade models or parts.

Hows the rhino coming?

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 03/06/03 - 10:30 PM Permalink

I have a starting mesh for my Kodo beast, So that I could work out what size to have the beast in the 2D version. I have also e-mail it from home to here so at I can work on it here after work (the best way for waiting until the traffic dieds down before trying to drive home [:)])

I don't know about having the rule of not using premade part, it is a very much use way of modeling. It was also out-lined in Paul Steeds modeling book, stating that: "it is the most use and lest talked about form of modeling. Hell why model something that you have already got."

It works like this in the industry, in fact we here are using an aniamtion from my demo reel in the game. Also the last model I made here used the arms from this comp model.

But there needs to be something to stop poeple getting huge head starts.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 03/06/03 - 10:43 PM Permalink

Yeha in the industry I totally agree, why wouldn't you reuse meshes its faster, but for a comp I think it should be all new.

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 25/06/03 - 10:30 PM Permalink

Oh an update, haven't had that much time, about an hour to hour and a half a week to work on it.

Under by about 300 polys and still optimizing before a finsh it off, I would say the model is about 75% done. Then texture and animation, and into a game maybe.

http://www.geocities.com/doord/SteedRiderUpdate.html

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 26/06/03 - 8:24 PM Permalink

nice work doord.... [:D] love both of them !!!

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 26/06/03 - 9:31 PM Permalink

like the shotty :P
got a wire frame shot?

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 27/06/03 - 1:34 AM Permalink

Very nice modelling... I love the beast particularly. Be good to see this textured before the deadline :)

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 30/06/03 - 10:30 AM Permalink

How did you go Doord? Was looking forward to seeing the final product.

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 30/06/03 - 8:41 PM Permalink

Sorry man didn't get it done, mainly because I what to do a very nice job on it, and not push myself into doing it and rushing it. The model almost done, I should have the model done and a good amount of unwraping by the end of the week.

Submitted by Ninja on Mon, 30/06/03 - 8:46 PM Permalink

Its good to take time on modelling and texturing, [:)] would love to see yours though finished it is an awesome model and very nice form and structure.... so go finish it off buddy [:D]

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 30/06/03 - 10:30 PM Permalink

I will see if I can get the last of it done tonight and have the finsh model posted for you all, for tomorrow morning.

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 03/07/03 - 3:49 AM Permalink

http://www.geocities.com/doord/FinalSteed.html

Well this is about as far as this model will be going for sometime. I'm starting on a short flim. Which I would have to say you will all find out about in the coming months. The short flim will be using this character (High res version.) I maybe get around to texturing it in my down time from the short flim but until then I hope you like the model. I don't like the foot of the steed robot leg but when i have a cool Hi res version done I maybe fix it a bit.

I havn't added the hair planes also.

and the poly count is 6989.
Steed: 2810 polys
Rider: 2896 polys
Objects (include box, bed roll and object on steed back on steeds back): 1283 polys

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 03/07/03 - 3:50 AM Permalink

and yes I know I can't spell my name

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Thu, 03/07/03 - 9:11 AM Permalink

looking good brendan, I like what you did for the knee much better then what you had there before. looks like it might evern work now as well as looking stronger. Either way I feel sorry for the little beasty. Bad teeth, heap of junk on his back and a tea cosie on his nose. No wounder he looks pissed off. [:p]

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 03/07/03 - 8:21 PM Permalink

Well he has had a hard life. One day his walking around in big open planes, eatting grass, sleeping and trying to get some off the female Kodo and then the next thing he knows he in a lab get bits of metal to replace is dickly right arm, and now has to helps his master out to get a feed. [V]

Posted by Doord on

I don't think this fits the comp that well, or if I will have the time to get it done. But i gave me something to do last sunday, after a few big nights.

Oh i have no scaner so I took a photo.

Model so far.

http://www.geocities.com/doord/Rider.htm

(Old model re-build a fair bit, I would like to say that the rule don't say that you are not able to use an old model, anyway if i did model a new character I would have used parts from my other ones anyway. I'm just looking for a reason the finsh the character because the MOD it was for died. I'm happy to be called a cheater and caned from the comp, but this is all in fun alway and after all I have very little time to work on this, and using the old model give me a little head start even after I didn't start with the Comp until a week after it started.)

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 30/05/03 - 10:32 PM Permalink

dead links? - could be cause you're using geocities. I don't think it'll let you post external links.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 31/05/03 - 12:21 AM Permalink

You cannot direct link to images on geocities, place them in a basic html and post the link for that, or if people are desperate for a peek just drag and drop the link into your address bar it should work (if not add a ? at the end)

Other then that you need to compress those images almost 300k for a black and white image is not 56k user friendly.

But nice rino 'esk concept.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Ninja on Sun, 01/06/03 - 3:01 AM Permalink

awesome concept and model doord...... can we see some shaded wire frames =)

Submitted by Doord on Sun, 01/06/03 - 6:11 AM Permalink

I know that Pants, thanks anyway :) I have been very buzy at work and haven't got on my computer for about 3 weeks. The modeling was done at work (just staying back after work and working on it.) And the concept was done on the Bus to work (thank god I don't have to ride them things any more:)

I will get a wire frame up and fix the rest of the stuff on sunday, if you are luckly I will model the beast up to.

By the way the character is a very small amount under 3000 (I can't tell you what it is because I don't have Max on this computer) The sword is about 650 if I remember right.

Thank you to the poeple which took the time to have a look, and to the rest of you, haa haa you will just have to miss out for a bit.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Mon, 02/06/03 - 9:15 AM Permalink

Kodo beast and frostmourne eh :)

I'm dissapointed you recycled the ozjack guy though.. He's cool, but i wanted to see a new character from you :P

I know how busy you are with work though, so its all good..

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 02/06/03 - 7:45 PM Permalink

Yeah Bob I need a reason to get him finshed. And this look like a good reason, I have a little warcraft stroy for this guy to, which I maybe will add to the package.

I have been thinking of changing the OzJack character to fit into the beast more, but now that I have the beast half made I will not have to :)

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 03/06/03 - 6:47 AM Permalink

I don't think you should be canned from the comp, its just good that the judges can now take that info into account thats all.

Good on you for letting us know man.

I agree the comp should state if you can or can't use premade models or parts.

Hows the rhino coming?

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 03/06/03 - 10:30 PM Permalink

I have a starting mesh for my Kodo beast, So that I could work out what size to have the beast in the 2D version. I have also e-mail it from home to here so at I can work on it here after work (the best way for waiting until the traffic dieds down before trying to drive home [:)])

I don't know about having the rule of not using premade part, it is a very much use way of modeling. It was also out-lined in Paul Steeds modeling book, stating that: "it is the most use and lest talked about form of modeling. Hell why model something that you have already got."

It works like this in the industry, in fact we here are using an aniamtion from my demo reel in the game. Also the last model I made here used the arms from this comp model.

But there needs to be something to stop poeple getting huge head starts.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 03/06/03 - 10:43 PM Permalink

Yeha in the industry I totally agree, why wouldn't you reuse meshes its faster, but for a comp I think it should be all new.

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 25/06/03 - 10:30 PM Permalink

Oh an update, haven't had that much time, about an hour to hour and a half a week to work on it.

Under by about 300 polys and still optimizing before a finsh it off, I would say the model is about 75% done. Then texture and animation, and into a game maybe.

http://www.geocities.com/doord/SteedRiderUpdate.html

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 26/06/03 - 8:24 PM Permalink

nice work doord.... [:D] love both of them !!!

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 26/06/03 - 9:31 PM Permalink

like the shotty :P
got a wire frame shot?

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 27/06/03 - 1:34 AM Permalink

Very nice modelling... I love the beast particularly. Be good to see this textured before the deadline :)

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 30/06/03 - 10:30 AM Permalink

How did you go Doord? Was looking forward to seeing the final product.

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 30/06/03 - 8:41 PM Permalink

Sorry man didn't get it done, mainly because I what to do a very nice job on it, and not push myself into doing it and rushing it. The model almost done, I should have the model done and a good amount of unwraping by the end of the week.

Submitted by Ninja on Mon, 30/06/03 - 8:46 PM Permalink

Its good to take time on modelling and texturing, [:)] would love to see yours though finished it is an awesome model and very nice form and structure.... so go finish it off buddy [:D]

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 30/06/03 - 10:30 PM Permalink

I will see if I can get the last of it done tonight and have the finsh model posted for you all, for tomorrow morning.

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 03/07/03 - 3:49 AM Permalink

http://www.geocities.com/doord/FinalSteed.html

Well this is about as far as this model will be going for sometime. I'm starting on a short flim. Which I would have to say you will all find out about in the coming months. The short flim will be using this character (High res version.) I maybe get around to texturing it in my down time from the short flim but until then I hope you like the model. I don't like the foot of the steed robot leg but when i have a cool Hi res version done I maybe fix it a bit.

I havn't added the hair planes also.

and the poly count is 6989.
Steed: 2810 polys
Rider: 2896 polys
Objects (include box, bed roll and object on steed back on steeds back): 1283 polys

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 03/07/03 - 3:50 AM Permalink

and yes I know I can't spell my name

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Thu, 03/07/03 - 9:11 AM Permalink

looking good brendan, I like what you did for the knee much better then what you had there before. looks like it might evern work now as well as looking stronger. Either way I feel sorry for the little beasty. Bad teeth, heap of junk on his back and a tea cosie on his nose. No wounder he looks pissed off. [:p]

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 03/07/03 - 8:21 PM Permalink

Well he has had a hard life. One day his walking around in big open planes, eatting grass, sleeping and trying to get some off the female Kodo and then the next thing he knows he in a lab get bits of metal to replace is dickly right arm, and now has to helps his master out to get a feed. [V]