Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #4 - JonathanKerr

Just booking my seat. Don't no one steal it while I'm away.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 01/08/03 - 2:21 AM Permalink

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sprofilepic.asp?pic=36_Demon_Concept.jpg&news=4…]

This is the sketch of the direction I'm going. I'm still tempted to do a second concept that's less traditional, but I often do a lot of Japanese inspired stuff (not manga) so to do a traditional Western demon is sort of a new area for me. Still going to work details of the axe and will put pulsating veins in the wolf-face in the centre chest.

Link not working - I'm in a hurry to get to work so will fix later. It's on the front page anyway.

The original sketch is 2B on A2 sized paper - when you see it large, it's quite effective -- you can see the scan line where I had to join two separate images together (the image wouldn't fit in the scanner). From start to finish it took a little over 3 hours -- a hour before work last night and 2 hours and approx 20 mins this arvo.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 01/08/03 - 3:13 AM Permalink

Nice job man, really like it. His axe seems wierd facing that way though. [:P]

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 01/08/03 - 9:08 AM Permalink

woah, note to self... avoid axe... and rest of thing
seriously awsome concept, i just wish i knew where the evil guys kept getting their clothing from. Is there a store for this stuff?

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 01/08/03 - 5:50 PM Permalink

I love the way the face on his chest blends into the pectorals... very nice! I also like his hooves... looking suitably goat-like! [:)]

Submitted by Pointy on Fri, 01/08/03 - 6:54 PM Permalink

hmm... human loin cloth... thats interesting
*calls officials*

great concept

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 01/08/03 - 7:07 PM Permalink

Funky stuff, I do love the love lower jaw/beard becoming the loin cloth, funny in an off way.

As a side note, I love the collection of bulky primitive weapons we all feel inspired to draw for these guys, Demon overlords want only the most basic waepons, I think its cool.

Pantmonger

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 01/08/03 - 8:35 PM Permalink

Cheers for the comments and thanks to Malus for fixing the link.

A few things I want to work on:

- Some ornamentation on the axe design.
- Not 100% sure about the hooves (kinda generic) but they suit the lumbering nature of the demon.
- Unsure whether the face will be 'living armour' or simply coming out of his chest.
- Might change human loin cloth to become the jaw section of the living armour.

I haven't got a name for it yet, but it feeds off fear and pain converting it into energy to make it stronger. The story is behind the face mask is that his voice can enemies to instantly obey him, until a deaf warrior weakened him and trapped him with the muzzle he currently wears. The favour was returned and now that warrior is decoration for the demon and can never die, acting as a source of food for it

RE: Brutish weapons - probably because it's difficult to show magic effects or the ability to summon other minions in a pic?

Kezza: You can choose from a wide selection of weapons and mauling instruments at "WeaponsofMassDestruction.com" or Imps 'R' Us.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 01/08/03 - 9:43 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

mmmm feeds.....

Speaking of which, my toast has popped. *Goes to get toast*

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 08/08/03 - 2:26 AM Permalink

Here is my reworking of the original concept. My first one wasn't ambitious enough, but now this one is probably too ambitious. Don't ask me how I'm gonna get around texturing it (unless I go for a stony texture or obsidian texture).

It's inspired by Native American Indian totem poles. As it stands (no pun intended), this is a stationary demoness. Probably only the top will be rigged.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sprofilepic.asp?pic=36_Totem_Concept.jpg&news=4… [/img]

This probably won't work, but I dont know what I'm doing wrong with the image links.

Unfortunately, the scan was a little grainy - does anyone know if it can be done in portrait? ie - 600 X 800, it looks better that way.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 08/08/03 - 2:28 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by JonathanKerr

Here is my reworking of the original concept. My first one wasn't ambitious enough, but now this one is probably too ambitious. Don't ask me how I'm gonna get around texturing it (unless I go for a stony texture or obsidian texture).

It's inspired by Native American Indian totem poles. As it stands (no pun intended), this is a stationary demoness. Probably only the top will be rigged.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sprofilepic.asp?pic=36_Totem_Concept.jpg&news=4… [/img]

This probably won't work, but I dont know what I'm doing wrong with the image links. Malus? Souri? Anybodyyyyyyyyyy?

Unfortunately, the scan was a little grainy - does anyone know if it can be done in portrait? ie - 600 X 800, it looks better that way.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 08/08/03 - 3:37 AM Permalink

Lol, re-working hey. Your nearly as bad as me. [:P]
looks great though man, youv'e got some great 2D skills there.

I think to really get the best out of the faces shes going to have to be pretty low poly unfortunately.

Hey you named one after me [:P]

Submitted by smeg on Fri, 08/08/03 - 6:51 AM Permalink

WOW.

Now THATS different. And you guys thought mine was ambitious...

I love it. Don't quite know how you can make a boss/overlord character from it, but its a step in the right direction.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 08/08/03 - 9:48 PM Permalink

Yeah a totem demon isn't really an overlord is it?
I like this one alot, really great design but your first one fit the challenge specs closer, unfortunately.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 08/08/03 - 10:23 PM Permalink

quote:

I wondered if that was the rationale behind your name. Maybe I should name it 'Avarice'. Tee hee. I'm a bit annoyed at the scanning, I must have selected the wrong res because the shading on the original (no substitute for) is quite subtle.

I was running late for work, so I posted in a hurry. Thanks for fixing the link. This Totem-Demon stands in the middle of generic demon city X. All demons in the realm worship it when they step into the circle which houses it. Think of it as a living monument, an all seeing, omniscient presence, overlord of all. Those who do not show the respect are punished.

From a games perspective, it's intended to be a final boss type thing. Although it can't move (every boss needs a weakness), it can summon up standard minions and has heavy magical attacks. After all, if you're an overlord, why do what another can? Also, each head has a different weakness and strength so casting a generic water spell might weaken one head, but strengthen another.

Specs wise. 3 of the 4 elements are perfectly symmetrical, so I may save valuable texture space that way. Modelling wise, like most totem poles, the detail is on the front. I've given it thought, and I think it's gonna be difficult but it's supposed to be a challenge I guess.

Any suggestions for textures? Should I have each face looking different or go for a consistent texture (darkened wood, steel, marble etc) on all of them?

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 08/08/03 - 10:26 PM Permalink

lol, Malus is latin for evil etc. Its what the english 'malice' derived from.
Well that cleared that up then, overlord it is.
Definately different textures, a living totem is much more creepy than wood etc.

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Tue, 12/08/03 - 1:34 AM Permalink

Nice original concept for an overlord. I really like the chick at the top... She looks pretty bloody evil!

As for the textures, I would suggest doing different textures for the heads of the pole, but have some common link between all of them, eg. a metallic shine with scratch marks.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 27/08/03 - 12:02 AM Permalink

Hmm.. no modelling done here yet for me. I'm still waiting on my graduate loan to go through so that I can get some dosh to pay for one.

How long until the challenge finishes again? I know we're over halfway.

Just booking my seat. Don't no one steal it while I'm away.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 01/08/03 - 2:21 AM Permalink

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sprofilepic.asp?pic=36_Demon_Concept.jpg&news=4…]

This is the sketch of the direction I'm going. I'm still tempted to do a second concept that's less traditional, but I often do a lot of Japanese inspired stuff (not manga) so to do a traditional Western demon is sort of a new area for me. Still going to work details of the axe and will put pulsating veins in the wolf-face in the centre chest.

Link not working - I'm in a hurry to get to work so will fix later. It's on the front page anyway.

The original sketch is 2B on A2 sized paper - when you see it large, it's quite effective -- you can see the scan line where I had to join two separate images together (the image wouldn't fit in the scanner). From start to finish it took a little over 3 hours -- a hour before work last night and 2 hours and approx 20 mins this arvo.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 01/08/03 - 3:13 AM Permalink

Nice job man, really like it. His axe seems wierd facing that way though. [:P]

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 01/08/03 - 9:08 AM Permalink

woah, note to self... avoid axe... and rest of thing
seriously awsome concept, i just wish i knew where the evil guys kept getting their clothing from. Is there a store for this stuff?

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 01/08/03 - 5:50 PM Permalink

I love the way the face on his chest blends into the pectorals... very nice! I also like his hooves... looking suitably goat-like! [:)]

Submitted by Pointy on Fri, 01/08/03 - 6:54 PM Permalink

hmm... human loin cloth... thats interesting
*calls officials*

great concept

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 01/08/03 - 7:07 PM Permalink

Funky stuff, I do love the love lower jaw/beard becoming the loin cloth, funny in an off way.

As a side note, I love the collection of bulky primitive weapons we all feel inspired to draw for these guys, Demon overlords want only the most basic waepons, I think its cool.

Pantmonger

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 01/08/03 - 8:35 PM Permalink

Cheers for the comments and thanks to Malus for fixing the link.

A few things I want to work on:

- Some ornamentation on the axe design.
- Not 100% sure about the hooves (kinda generic) but they suit the lumbering nature of the demon.
- Unsure whether the face will be 'living armour' or simply coming out of his chest.
- Might change human loin cloth to become the jaw section of the living armour.

I haven't got a name for it yet, but it feeds off fear and pain converting it into energy to make it stronger. The story is behind the face mask is that his voice can enemies to instantly obey him, until a deaf warrior weakened him and trapped him with the muzzle he currently wears. The favour was returned and now that warrior is decoration for the demon and can never die, acting as a source of food for it

RE: Brutish weapons - probably because it's difficult to show magic effects or the ability to summon other minions in a pic?

Kezza: You can choose from a wide selection of weapons and mauling instruments at "WeaponsofMassDestruction.com" or Imps 'R' Us.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 01/08/03 - 9:43 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

mmmm feeds.....

Speaking of which, my toast has popped. *Goes to get toast*

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 08/08/03 - 2:26 AM Permalink

This probably won't work, but I dont know what I'm doing wrong with the image links.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 08/08/03 - 2:28 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by JonathanKerr

This probably won't work, but I dont know what I'm doing wrong with the image links. Malus? Souri? Anybodyyyyyyyyyy?

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 08/08/03 - 3:37 AM Permalink

Lol, re-working hey. Your nearly as bad as me. [:P]
looks great though man, youv'e got some great 2D skills there.

I think to really get the best out of the faces shes going to have to be pretty low poly unfortunately.

Submitted by smeg on Fri, 08/08/03 - 6:51 AM Permalink

WOW.

Now THATS different. And you guys thought mine was ambitious...

I love it. Don't quite know how you can make a boss/overlord character from it, but its a step in the right direction.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 08/08/03 - 9:48 PM Permalink

Yeah a totem demon isn't really an overlord is it?
I like this one alot, really great design but your first one fit the challenge specs closer, unfortunately.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 08/08/03 - 10:23 PM Permalink

quote:

I wondered if that was the rationale behind your name. Maybe I should name it 'Avarice'. Tee hee. I'm a bit annoyed at the scanning, I must have selected the wrong res because the shading on the original (no substitute for) is quite subtle.

I was running late for work, so I posted in a hurry. Thanks for fixing the link. This Totem-Demon stands in the middle of generic demon city X. All demons in the realm worship it when they step into the circle which houses it. Think of it as a living monument, an all seeing, omniscient presence, overlord of all. Those who do not show the respect are punished.

From a games perspective, it's intended to be a final boss type thing. Although it can't move (every boss needs a weakness), it can summon up standard minions and has heavy magical attacks. After all, if you're an overlord, why do what another can? Also, each head has a different weakness and strength so casting a generic water spell might weaken one head, but strengthen another.

Specs wise. 3 of the 4 elements are perfectly symmetrical, so I may save valuable texture space that way. Modelling wise, like most totem poles, the detail is on the front. I've given it thought, and I think it's gonna be difficult but it's supposed to be a challenge I guess.

Any suggestions for textures? Should I have each face looking different or go for a consistent texture (darkened wood, steel, marble etc) on all of them?

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 08/08/03 - 10:26 PM Permalink

lol, Malus is latin for evil etc. Its what the english 'malice' derived from.
Well that cleared that up then, overlord it is.
Definately different textures, a living totem is much more creepy than wood etc.

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Tue, 12/08/03 - 1:34 AM Permalink

Nice original concept for an overlord. I really like the chick at the top... She looks pretty bloody evil!

As for the textures, I would suggest doing different textures for the heads of the pole, but have some common link between all of them, eg. a metallic shine with scratch marks.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 27/08/03 - 12:02 AM Permalink

Hmm.. no modelling done here yet for me. I'm still waiting on my graduate loan to go through so that I can get some dosh to pay for one.

How long until the challenge finishes again? I know we're over halfway.