Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #4 -3d-Sorceror Bob- Challenger#13

way as well join in the fun :D

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 01/08/03 - 6:56 PM Permalink

The Snake tail I think is a good idea, A nice direction to take 'it'. The only thing I think that it needs is something to make it more 'regal', something that shows that he is an overlord not just a thug.

But good idea,
Pantmonger

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 01/08/03 - 11:19 PM Permalink

oops.. i just noticed the word 'lord' in the competition..

i meant for this guy to be a minion demon type thing.. thus the collar.

i'll fiddle with the concept some more, change his facial features to make him look more intelligent..

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 05/08/03 - 10:57 AM Permalink

*updateupdateupdate*

just hit refresh if its the same as the old one

decided to ditch the snake tail in favour of something... weird..

I think he looks funky enough to be classed as a demon lord - crits?

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 07/08/03 - 8:42 PM Permalink

This has the same porblem as the last bit of concept and then beast also the weight in the character would make it very hard to stand up right.

Look the demon in WarCraft 3, the orc cinematic battel. Every much laying back on itself, huge front legs and large tail (and it still look a little front heavy) so it have huge wrings also well.

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 07/08/03 - 8:54 PM Permalink

I'd have to second that. He looks like he'd have a little trouble supporting his own weight. I liked him without the legs. [:)]

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 07/08/03 - 11:30 PM Permalink

Hope you don't mind but I had some ideas that might help this guy:

- Sit the torso back further on the main trunk of the body to balance the weight, hes too far forward and would topple.
- Make the legs sturdier to support said weight.
- Downsize the arms.
- lose the ball and chain, believe me I did one for my tweedle guy and its a pain, it also looks more like a minions weapon.
- the head needs some work, define his character in his face, is he evil, comical, stupid, intelligent etc

My opinion, sit yourself down and write his story.

Also I try to develop my designs around plausable environments, then break them accordingly, being demonic and magical doesn't mean he'd exists in a world without rules.
Look at were he live, what he eats, his habits, his enemies etc, does he live in a cold climate or bubbly lava pits, these should give you ideas as to his physical and mental make up.

Overall its a good idea it just needs more personality put into the design or the model if you can't be bothered reworking the concept.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 08/08/03 - 1:10 AM Permalink

thanks for the crits guys

the concept is currently 'final'(dont want to edit it again :)), but i will be making changes to the build of the model.. i'll definately take what was said into account next time i make a concept though.

i've already got the formings of a story, that will help explain why hes so unnatural

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 20/08/03 - 10:54 AM Permalink

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/sorcerorbob/blapblapblap.jpg[/img]

Heres an update for an *early* mesh.. this is the basic shape... gonna start adding detail and stuff now.. only 1500 tris right now.. so i've still got plenty of fun stuff to do :)

oh yeah :) inglis just pointed out to me how much has changed since the concept..

i'd like to say, that while alot of it has changed, its still basically the same thing..

pre-empt one last crit.. the tail.. think of a slug, rather than a snake..

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 22/08/03 - 11:18 AM Permalink

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/sorcerorbob/bogrog.jpg[/img]

small update once more, i'm doing two projects at once, so i'm getting things done kinda slow - but still done :)

It's about 1750 polies right now.. so still a lot of stuff to add.. i'm thinking of adding a great big mouth in the center of the flab..

Submitted by animal on Sat, 23/08/03 - 3:23 AM Permalink

nice design so far one problem that stuck out though when i first looked at it was the chest/arms. there should be more seperation between the bulging mucsles on the chest and the shoulders, get some bodybuilder referance, you'll see the shoulder muscles are more seperate from the chest and do the collar bones that would help and the muscle that goes from the back and up the neck abit, (don't know what they are called). i really like the face, good mix between human and serpant

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Mon, 25/08/03 - 1:05 PM Permalink

Thanks animal :), I checked some reference, and made a few changes where necessary..

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/sorcerorbob/bogrog3.jpg[/img]

Yeah I went a little nuts..
This character has been designed as a bit of a statement. I wanted to just come up with an idea, and see where it went - with little to no outside influence on the design. I've found, that in the past I've relied far too much on 'crutches'; building characters based on existing templates (bipedal humanoid for example).

I'm pleased with what I have so far, it's different, weird, and not at all possible - which is part of my point (evolutionary viable models is another 'crutch' to me)
Texturing will be an absolute blast, and with the number of semi-independent characters on their, I'll be able to come up with some funky animations (big guy doing the hump thing to get moving, little guy at the front reading a book, and the screaming guy at the back clawing at the ground with his bloody stump fingers).

Ok the little rant is done.. Things on the to do pile.. I've gotta first fix up some anatomical issues in some of the 'heads', once done I'll triangulate, clean the mesh where necessary, then add accesories.
The entire thing is currently 42 polies over budget, but I'll easily optimise that out.

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 25/08/03 - 8:29 PM Permalink

wacky weird in a cool way - good stuff, and oddly refreshing to see something so different matt.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:24 PM Permalink

Thats looking good, mesh is a little messy but it is a wip, I found some 5 sided polys there, tsk tsk. [:P]

Be careful not to stray too far from your concept also.

Its looking cool so far, definetly my type of thing, gross and bizzare. [xx(]

Submitted by Kane on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:55 PM Permalink

Definately very cool...

The human pieces add so much wickedness to it...

[:D]

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 27/08/03 - 1:57 AM Permalink

I like the newer version aswell :)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 27/08/03 - 8:15 AM Permalink

cheers guys

malus - yeah yeah 5 sided polies = suck.
Still, the comp calls for triangulated meshes so its not a big deal.

What I've been doing.. Triangulated the mesh - It turned into a horrible mess so I've been cleaning that up. Mesh heavily optimised, teeth added.. erp thats all i can think of now.. not worth posting a render.

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 27/08/03 - 8:27 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Sorceror Bob

LOL

How funny it that. there is nothing wrong about 5 side polys, as long as the shape it there. 5 side polys can be a problem in Hi-res modeling, low res there is no problem with it. There are lot of poeple which talk about poly flow being so important. It is all bullshit, poly flow is no were as Important as some poeple think it is.

Here is a topic about it on polycount I can't remeber much of it but soul and a number of other very good low-res modelers have a few wprds to say on poly flow and how to model, and it clear to me that that you model for the shape not the edges of a model.

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~polycount/ubb/Forum8/HTML/002897.html?00051

I do belive I have talk to you about this before matt :)

Anyway, you still havn't turn me to your idea with the head coming out of the demon guy thing, Animation will help alot, but I did like the other Idea you were thinking about more.

Maybe if you made the front body (head and arm) look more like they there are from the one human body and kind of hanging over the guy, and in animation this huamn is trying to get out by clawing at the ground.

Also our character modeler here said it was way to many polys.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 27/08/03 - 11:05 PM Permalink

Yes a five sided poly won't do anything drastic, it just looks nasty.

Polyflow isn't worthless Doord, its a style of modelling, thats like saying people who model looking at its silhoutte are wrong or if you use splines you can't model?!

People can do what ever they like as long as in the end its optimised, deforms well and doesn't bog down the engine.

Don't write things off just because its not your style.

By the way that link was about more than just polyflow, they were discussing geodesic modelling compared to quad modelling not just poly flow.

Poly flow can be done in editmesh, spline, editpoly or whatever mode of modelling you choose, its not confined to just editpoly modelling.

Why do some people think polyflow is only generated when you work 100% in quads? you can get it with tris also and combinations of tri-quad etc.

I find quads and tri combinations the best for me, helps develop form better and is easy to follow muscleflow in anatomy, also helps when converting a low res model to a high res model but hey thats just my opinion.

I do agree that using just quads will generally mean you are wasting faces.

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 28/08/03 - 2:13 AM Permalink

There you go again putting words in my month, My point on this is what I wrote in my post (and what was posted by a number of people at polycount.)

Polyflow, tri modelling, quad modelling or what every kind of modelling you do, isn't important it is the shape of the model in the end, not how you get there. As what was also talk about and the conclusion of the link I posted to polycount.

Five sided poly don't look nasty, if the vertex are in the right place. Damn you can have a 10 side poly, hell I know that allot of the tribes character have far more then that, because the character model here uses edges to out line the mapping.

It clear to me that that you model for the shape not the edges of a model. (damn repeating myself again.)

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 28/08/03 - 6:57 PM Permalink

Don't think I put words in your mouth but in the end I think we sort of agree polyflow isn't the only thing to worry about but then again neither is just the silhouette.

Also I meant 5 sided look nasty on when creating the mesh, to 'me' the mesh looks lazy and not thought out with 5 sided+ polys, when its in game its all tris anyway. [:)]

Submitted by Pointy on Thu, 28/08/03 - 7:16 PM Permalink

Looking good SB. What is it exactly? Are the extra bodies part of the main one (born that way) or has it forced a sybiant realaionship onto some poor human?
Looking forward to seeing what ideas you have for the texture. A mix of reptile and human skin?
Nice edgeloops also.

Might i also add that i think polyflow (lord how i dislike that term, it reminds me of Aunt Flow)is important, it results in a cleaner looking mesh, that both unwraps and deforms nicer in my opinion. I agree with you Doord, in that it isnt as important as the silhouette (I assume that this is what you mean by 'shape') in your personal work the wow factor of a model comes from its design.
However, polyflow isnt a trade off between itself and silhouette, they can even work hand in hand. A model with both a cool design and good polyflow should always be your goal. And while i prefer to see emphasis on design, when applying for a moddeling position, design takes a back seat to how well a mesh is constructed, and this is where flow is important.
Perhaps Malus did over react to your statment Doord, which he shouldnt have, its just a forum after all, but i think it stems from the wording of your posts, it reads as though you think that your opinion is the bottom line. Using less intensive words before your staments may help [;)]

Now lets make some art people! [:D]

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 28/08/03 - 11:32 PM Permalink

Yes, I did over react, but Pointy's spot on as to why.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 29/08/03 - 9:33 AM Permalink

Pointy, Cheers.

What is it? I'm not really sure.. Just an idea that has evolved in my mind to the point where it is now.

The extra bodies and stuff coming out of the main body, those guys aren't too happy about being there.
I'm currently in the process of doing a story about it.. But the basic deal, is that he was so impressed with the abilities of these mortals, that he granted them immortality - by imprisoning them within his body. Unfortunately, he drastically underestimated how his 'gift' would be taken, and his unwilling co-inhabitants have proved to hinder more than help him, still, they have their uses in battle....

Ok the texture, will be be based entirely on human like skin.. No scales.. Maybe a few small variations, but that'll be more along the lines of skin problems etc.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 29/08/03 - 10:43 AM Permalink

I looked at the design and thought "Siamese Triplets". A zygote that didn't split properly. 3 demonic overlords in one who can't decide on anything (except that a difference of opinion is healthy).

Submitted by davidcoen on Wed, 03/09/03 - 11:56 AM Permalink

not that i find fun in making work for other people, but if you feel inclined, how about adding a heap of people bits sticking out of his body? arms/legs/ a few heads, (thinking of tenticle suckers being peoples' heads...)

DSC

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 03/09/03 - 12:59 PM Permalink

eeep! more body parts!

Maybe on a future version of the model, with more texture space to play with. I've set my self a challenge already, with 3 heads, 6 arms etc.. I'd like to have it how you suggested, polies aren't a huge problem, but cramming it all into a 512*512 and still having it look good is. Well for me anyways. I'll hopefully be able to do something that doesn't look crap anyways :)

Back to the unwrapping mines.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 03/09/03 - 6:54 PM Permalink

Feature creep on a model wow thats a new one. I'd stick to what you have now, its a great base and make the texture do the rest.

Submitted by Mojo on Fri, 05/09/03 - 12:47 PM Permalink

I have this feeling the guy on the end of his tail won't be seen very much... have you thought about getting rid of the "tail guy" and redistributing the extra polys around the model, perhaps adding some extra detail/spikes/armour/weapons? he just seems a bit useless all the way back there, from a visual and practical point of view.

Everything else looks really good, strays from your original concept quite a bit, but the changes are for the better.

-Moj.

way as well join in the fun :D

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 01/08/03 - 6:56 PM Permalink

The Snake tail I think is a good idea, A nice direction to take 'it'. The only thing I think that it needs is something to make it more 'regal', something that shows that he is an overlord not just a thug.

But good idea,
Pantmonger

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 01/08/03 - 11:19 PM Permalink

oops.. i just noticed the word 'lord' in the competition..

i meant for this guy to be a minion demon type thing.. thus the collar.

i'll fiddle with the concept some more, change his facial features to make him look more intelligent..

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 05/08/03 - 10:57 AM Permalink

*updateupdateupdate*

just hit refresh if its the same as the old one

decided to ditch the snake tail in favour of something... weird..

I think he looks funky enough to be classed as a demon lord - crits?

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 07/08/03 - 8:42 PM Permalink

This has the same porblem as the last bit of concept and then beast also the weight in the character would make it very hard to stand up right.

Look the demon in WarCraft 3, the orc cinematic battel. Every much laying back on itself, huge front legs and large tail (and it still look a little front heavy) so it have huge wrings also well.

Submitted by ironikart on Thu, 07/08/03 - 8:54 PM Permalink

I'd have to second that. He looks like he'd have a little trouble supporting his own weight. I liked him without the legs. [:)]

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 07/08/03 - 11:30 PM Permalink

Hope you don't mind but I had some ideas that might help this guy:

- Sit the torso back further on the main trunk of the body to balance the weight, hes too far forward and would topple.
- Make the legs sturdier to support said weight.
- Downsize the arms.
- lose the ball and chain, believe me I did one for my tweedle guy and its a pain, it also looks more like a minions weapon.
- the head needs some work, define his character in his face, is he evil, comical, stupid, intelligent etc

My opinion, sit yourself down and write his story.

Also I try to develop my designs around plausable environments, then break them accordingly, being demonic and magical doesn't mean he'd exists in a world without rules.
Look at were he live, what he eats, his habits, his enemies etc, does he live in a cold climate or bubbly lava pits, these should give you ideas as to his physical and mental make up.

Overall its a good idea it just needs more personality put into the design or the model if you can't be bothered reworking the concept.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 08/08/03 - 1:10 AM Permalink

thanks for the crits guys

the concept is currently 'final'(dont want to edit it again :)), but i will be making changes to the build of the model.. i'll definately take what was said into account next time i make a concept though.

i've already got the formings of a story, that will help explain why hes so unnatural

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 20/08/03 - 10:54 AM Permalink

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/sorcerorbob/blapblapblap.jpg[/img]

Heres an update for an *early* mesh.. this is the basic shape... gonna start adding detail and stuff now.. only 1500 tris right now.. so i've still got plenty of fun stuff to do :)

oh yeah :) inglis just pointed out to me how much has changed since the concept..

i'd like to say, that while alot of it has changed, its still basically the same thing..

pre-empt one last crit.. the tail.. think of a slug, rather than a snake..

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 22/08/03 - 11:18 AM Permalink

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/sorcerorbob/bogrog.jpg[/img]

small update once more, i'm doing two projects at once, so i'm getting things done kinda slow - but still done :)

It's about 1750 polies right now.. so still a lot of stuff to add.. i'm thinking of adding a great big mouth in the center of the flab..

Submitted by animal on Sat, 23/08/03 - 3:23 AM Permalink

nice design so far one problem that stuck out though when i first looked at it was the chest/arms. there should be more seperation between the bulging mucsles on the chest and the shoulders, get some bodybuilder referance, you'll see the shoulder muscles are more seperate from the chest and do the collar bones that would help and the muscle that goes from the back and up the neck abit, (don't know what they are called). i really like the face, good mix between human and serpant

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Mon, 25/08/03 - 1:05 PM Permalink

Thanks animal :), I checked some reference, and made a few changes where necessary..

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/sorcerorbob/bogrog3.jpg[/img]

Yeah I went a little nuts..
This character has been designed as a bit of a statement. I wanted to just come up with an idea, and see where it went - with little to no outside influence on the design. I've found, that in the past I've relied far too much on 'crutches'; building characters based on existing templates (bipedal humanoid for example).

I'm pleased with what I have so far, it's different, weird, and not at all possible - which is part of my point (evolutionary viable models is another 'crutch' to me)
Texturing will be an absolute blast, and with the number of semi-independent characters on their, I'll be able to come up with some funky animations (big guy doing the hump thing to get moving, little guy at the front reading a book, and the screaming guy at the back clawing at the ground with his bloody stump fingers).

Ok the little rant is done.. Things on the to do pile.. I've gotta first fix up some anatomical issues in some of the 'heads', once done I'll triangulate, clean the mesh where necessary, then add accesories.
The entire thing is currently 42 polies over budget, but I'll easily optimise that out.

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 25/08/03 - 8:29 PM Permalink

wacky weird in a cool way - good stuff, and oddly refreshing to see something so different matt.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:24 PM Permalink

Thats looking good, mesh is a little messy but it is a wip, I found some 5 sided polys there, tsk tsk. [:P]

Be careful not to stray too far from your concept also.

Its looking cool so far, definetly my type of thing, gross and bizzare. [xx(]

Submitted by Kane on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:55 PM Permalink

Definately very cool...

The human pieces add so much wickedness to it...

[:D]

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 27/08/03 - 1:57 AM Permalink

I like the newer version aswell :)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 27/08/03 - 8:15 AM Permalink

cheers guys

What I've been doing.. Triangulated the mesh - It turned into a horrible mess so I've been cleaning that up. Mesh heavily optimised, teeth added.. erp thats all i can think of now.. not worth posting a render.

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 27/08/03 - 8:27 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Sorceror Bob

LOL

How funny it that. there is nothing wrong about 5 side polys, as long as the shape it there. 5 side polys can be a problem in Hi-res modeling, low res there is no problem with it. There are lot of poeple which talk about poly flow being so important. It is all bullshit, poly flow is no were as Important as some poeple think it is.

Here is a topic about it on polycount I can't remeber much of it but soul and a number of other very good low-res modelers have a few wprds to say on poly flow and how to model, and it clear to me that that you model for the shape not the edges of a model.

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~polycount/ubb/Forum8/HTML/002897.html?00051

I do belive I have talk to you about this before matt :)

Anyway, you still havn't turn me to your idea with the head coming out of the demon guy thing, Animation will help alot, but I did like the other Idea you were thinking about more.

Maybe if you made the front body (head and arm) look more like they there are from the one human body and kind of hanging over the guy, and in animation this huamn is trying to get out by clawing at the ground.

Also our character modeler here said it was way to many polys.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 27/08/03 - 11:05 PM Permalink

Yes a five sided poly won't do anything drastic, it just looks nasty.

Polyflow isn't worthless Doord, its a style of modelling, thats like saying people who model looking at its silhoutte are wrong or if you use splines you can't model?!

People can do what ever they like as long as in the end its optimised, deforms well and doesn't bog down the engine.

Don't write things off just because its not your style.

By the way that link was about more than just polyflow, they were discussing geodesic modelling compared to quad modelling not just poly flow.

Poly flow can be done in editmesh, spline, editpoly or whatever mode of modelling you choose, its not confined to just editpoly modelling.

Why do some people think polyflow is only generated when you work 100% in quads? you can get it with tris also and combinations of tri-quad etc.

I find quads and tri combinations the best for me, helps develop form better and is easy to follow muscleflow in anatomy, also helps when converting a low res model to a high res model but hey thats just my opinion.

I do agree that using just quads will generally mean you are wasting faces.

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 28/08/03 - 2:13 AM Permalink

There you go again putting words in my month, My point on this is what I wrote in my post (and what was posted by a number of people at polycount.)

Polyflow, tri modelling, quad modelling or what every kind of modelling you do, isn't important it is the shape of the model in the end, not how you get there. As what was also talk about and the conclusion of the link I posted to polycount.

Five sided poly don't look nasty, if the vertex are in the right place. Damn you can have a 10 side poly, hell I know that allot of the tribes character have far more then that, because the character model here uses edges to out line the mapping.

It clear to me that that you model for the shape not the edges of a model. (damn repeating myself again.)

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 28/08/03 - 6:57 PM Permalink

Don't think I put words in your mouth but in the end I think we sort of agree polyflow isn't the only thing to worry about but then again neither is just the silhouette.

Also I meant 5 sided look nasty on when creating the mesh, to 'me' the mesh looks lazy and not thought out with 5 sided+ polys, when its in game its all tris anyway. [:)]

Submitted by Pointy on Thu, 28/08/03 - 7:16 PM Permalink

Looking good SB. What is it exactly? Are the extra bodies part of the main one (born that way) or has it forced a sybiant realaionship onto some poor human?
Looking forward to seeing what ideas you have for the texture. A mix of reptile and human skin?
Nice edgeloops also.

Might i also add that i think polyflow (lord how i dislike that term, it reminds me of Aunt Flow)is important, it results in a cleaner looking mesh, that both unwraps and deforms nicer in my opinion. I agree with you Doord, in that it isnt as important as the silhouette (I assume that this is what you mean by 'shape') in your personal work the wow factor of a model comes from its design.
However, polyflow isnt a trade off between itself and silhouette, they can even work hand in hand. A model with both a cool design and good polyflow should always be your goal. And while i prefer to see emphasis on design, when applying for a moddeling position, design takes a back seat to how well a mesh is constructed, and this is where flow is important.
Perhaps Malus did over react to your statment Doord, which he shouldnt have, its just a forum after all, but i think it stems from the wording of your posts, it reads as though you think that your opinion is the bottom line. Using less intensive words before your staments may help [;)]

Now lets make some art people! [:D]

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 28/08/03 - 11:32 PM Permalink

Yes, I did over react, but Pointy's spot on as to why.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 29/08/03 - 9:33 AM Permalink

Pointy, Cheers.

What is it? I'm not really sure.. Just an idea that has evolved in my mind to the point where it is now.

The extra bodies and stuff coming out of the main body, those guys aren't too happy about being there.
I'm currently in the process of doing a story about it.. But the basic deal, is that he was so impressed with the abilities of these mortals, that he granted them immortality - by imprisoning them within his body. Unfortunately, he drastically underestimated how his 'gift' would be taken, and his unwilling co-inhabitants have proved to hinder more than help him, still, they have their uses in battle....

Ok the texture, will be be based entirely on human like skin.. No scales.. Maybe a few small variations, but that'll be more along the lines of skin problems etc.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 29/08/03 - 10:43 AM Permalink

I looked at the design and thought "Siamese Triplets". A zygote that didn't split properly. 3 demonic overlords in one who can't decide on anything (except that a difference of opinion is healthy).

Submitted by davidcoen on Wed, 03/09/03 - 11:56 AM Permalink

not that i find fun in making work for other people, but if you feel inclined, how about adding a heap of people bits sticking out of his body? arms/legs/ a few heads, (thinking of tenticle suckers being peoples' heads...)

DSC

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 03/09/03 - 12:59 PM Permalink

eeep! more body parts!

Maybe on a future version of the model, with more texture space to play with. I've set my self a challenge already, with 3 heads, 6 arms etc.. I'd like to have it how you suggested, polies aren't a huge problem, but cramming it all into a 512*512 and still having it look good is. Well for me anyways. I'll hopefully be able to do something that doesn't look crap anyways :)

Back to the unwrapping mines.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 03/09/03 - 6:54 PM Permalink

Feature creep on a model wow thats a new one. I'd stick to what you have now, its a great base and make the texture do the rest.

Submitted by Mojo on Fri, 05/09/03 - 12:47 PM Permalink

I have this feeling the guy on the end of his tail won't be seen very much... have you thought about getting rid of the "tail guy" and redistributing the extra polys around the model, perhaps adding some extra detail/spikes/armour/weapons? he just seems a bit useless all the way back there, from a visual and practical point of view.

Everything else looks really good, strays from your original concept quite a bit, but the changes are for the better.

-Moj.