Skip to main content

Two Towers

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

I saw it on opening night.. we came half an hour early, and ended up near the end of the line (which was so very, very, very, very long)..the theatre was packed, and my friends and I could only manage 3 rows from the front. I had to turn my head a lot to see what was going on. It was hot and stuffy, and I had 2 geeks sitting on the left of me who chatted/discussed things all through the movie.. they were pointing imaginary bows and shooting imaginary arrows at things on screen. They even stabbed each other with imaginary swords. One of them would constantly tap his feet, so lucky me could enjoy the vibrations too. Since we were sitting close to the screen, all the battles scenes looked like a blur.

I won't say anything about the movie though, other than Gollum looked awesome!

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sat, 28/12/02 - 1:17 AM Permalink

I saw it last yesterday as well. The most visually stunning movie I've ever seen. I agree with you souri, Gollum looked amazing. I also loved the ents (I think thats what they were called)
A shame your experience was wrecked though, you should have told those geeks to shut-up! I had a nice backrow seat on the isle with a nice quiet audience :) I'll be going again on saturday.

Lead paint: delicious but deadly!

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 28/12/02 - 3:35 AM Permalink

I saw it yesterday too on opening night, we got our tickets ahead of time, and luckily we knew some ppl that came at 6:00 to line up (the movie started at 8:45) so we were right at the start. They were about 10m into the line, and when we came the line length was 50m+.

It was a damn good movie though, and well worth it.

Submitted by GooberMan on Sat, 28/12/02 - 7:55 AM Permalink

Would have seen it opening morning, but tickets were sold out *grumble* so had to make do with the 5:45pm session. Pretty good, but I enjoyed the first movie better. Gollum was perfectly cast, and the CG used for him actually looked pretty good.

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 28/12/02 - 12:35 PM Permalink

I saw it opening morning at 10am, we got there at 9:40 (5 mins before the cinema opened) and were about 10th in line. Got good seats on the middle aisle a bit below the middle of the theatre (eye level was about middle of the screen, so good seats).
Gollum was great...although once or twice i was comparing him to jer-jar binks haha.
I really liked it, although i didn't think it was quite as good as the first. I personally put this down to the fact that the 1st for the most part followed a single story with all the main characters, whereas the second was showing about 4 or 5 different stories, which kinda broke the continuity just a little. The battles were excellent, the battle for helms deep was just amazing...
Also, those weird creatures (can't rememebr their names, they looked like big cats) that some of the orcs (urukai?) rode looked great, especially the way they moved at times, it was perfect.
Some very good jokes at gibli's expense :)
I'll go see it again in january, then maybe again after that.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Sat, 28/12/02 - 9:12 PM Permalink

don't you mean gollum/smeegle [8D]
yeah i liked it to.
I only had one problem with it and that was those tree guys they walked funny in medium and wide shots. They looked great in closeups etc. Some GFX seemed more obvious than GFX in the first but i guess thats cause there were alot more complex things on screen.
anyway good movie, mostly action so the 3 hours seem to fly by. And that last battle kewl.
Can't wait for next one [:D]

It is infact ants who are the true rulers of this world!!!

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 29/12/02 - 3:47 AM Permalink

If I get the cash I'm gonna go to the movie marathon which is showing them both one after the other, starting at 11pm tho.

Submitted by souri on Sun, 29/12/02 - 12:11 PM Permalink

Now THAT's a marathon.. [:)].. 6 hours. I don't think I could ever manage that. The ents (tree herders) were interesting. They seemed a bit too 'muppet' like to me though. Very exaggerated/comical looking faces in design. And yeh, LOTS of jokes on the dwarf's expense. Oh, and the funny part when Gollum is talking to himself - that had a damn hilarious moment. The audience was laughing their heads off!
I *definately* want to buy the DVD when it comes out.. but I can wait for the special edition/extra footage version..

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Sun, 29/12/02 - 9:52 PM Permalink

Is there an extended version of 2 towers coming out is there? Like the 4 disc set thats out now for fellowship.
I thought the ents weren't very muppet like i just thought they walked funny. But i guess seeing as they are trees that they wouldn't walk like humans. Also the bit with the ents fighting was kewl.
Although was it just me or did only some of the CG creatures intergrate as well as in the first movie. In fellowship the cavetroll intergrated really well and was very believable but the ents and those things the ouraci (don't know how to spell it) riding were quite obvious. But i thought those elephants and the dragon that the wring wraith rides blended quite well.

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Mon, 30/12/02 - 12:29 AM Permalink

I thought the ents looked great, my favoutite scene was when they trash isengard. The only bit I thought looked fake was when legolas jumps down from a ledge and runs towards those guys riding the dog type creatures. It looked really blue screen.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 31/12/02 - 9:27 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Meatex_Salami

Is there an extended version of 2 towers coming out is there? Like the 4 disc set thats out now for fellowship.

I think it's a pretty safe bet to make that there will be a special edition of Two Towers DVD.. I'm sure it's a huge money spinner for them.

Posted by souri on
Forum

I saw it on opening night.. we came half an hour early, and ended up near the end of the line (which was so very, very, very, very long)..the theatre was packed, and my friends and I could only manage 3 rows from the front. I had to turn my head a lot to see what was going on. It was hot and stuffy, and I had 2 geeks sitting on the left of me who chatted/discussed things all through the movie.. they were pointing imaginary bows and shooting imaginary arrows at things on screen. They even stabbed each other with imaginary swords. One of them would constantly tap his feet, so lucky me could enjoy the vibrations too. Since we were sitting close to the screen, all the battles scenes looked like a blur.

I won't say anything about the movie though, other than Gollum looked awesome!

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sat, 28/12/02 - 1:17 AM Permalink

I saw it last yesterday as well. The most visually stunning movie I've ever seen. I agree with you souri, Gollum looked amazing. I also loved the ents (I think thats what they were called)
A shame your experience was wrecked though, you should have told those geeks to shut-up! I had a nice backrow seat on the isle with a nice quiet audience :) I'll be going again on saturday.

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 28/12/02 - 3:35 AM Permalink

I saw it yesterday too on opening night, we got our tickets ahead of time, and luckily we knew some ppl that came at 6:00 to line up (the movie started at 8:45) so we were right at the start. They were about 10m into the line, and when we came the line length was 50m+.

It was a damn good movie though, and well worth it.

Submitted by GooberMan on Sat, 28/12/02 - 7:55 AM Permalink

Would have seen it opening morning, but tickets were sold out *grumble* so had to make do with the 5:45pm session. Pretty good, but I enjoyed the first movie better. Gollum was perfectly cast, and the CG used for him actually looked pretty good.

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 28/12/02 - 12:35 PM Permalink

I saw it opening morning at 10am, we got there at 9:40 (5 mins before the cinema opened) and were about 10th in line. Got good seats on the middle aisle a bit below the middle of the theatre (eye level was about middle of the screen, so good seats).
Gollum was great...although once or twice i was comparing him to jer-jar binks haha.
I really liked it, although i didn't think it was quite as good as the first. I personally put this down to the fact that the 1st for the most part followed a single story with all the main characters, whereas the second was showing about 4 or 5 different stories, which kinda broke the continuity just a little. The battles were excellent, the battle for helms deep was just amazing...
Also, those weird creatures (can't rememebr their names, they looked like big cats) that some of the orcs (urukai?) rode looked great, especially the way they moved at times, it was perfect.
Some very good jokes at gibli's expense :)
I'll go see it again in january, then maybe again after that.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Sat, 28/12/02 - 9:12 PM Permalink

don't you mean gollum/smeegle [8D]
yeah i liked it to.
I only had one problem with it and that was those tree guys they walked funny in medium and wide shots. They looked great in closeups etc. Some GFX seemed more obvious than GFX in the first but i guess thats cause there were alot more complex things on screen.
anyway good movie, mostly action so the 3 hours seem to fly by. And that last battle kewl.
Can't wait for next one [:D]

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 29/12/02 - 3:47 AM Permalink

If I get the cash I'm gonna go to the movie marathon which is showing them both one after the other, starting at 11pm tho.

Submitted by souri on Sun, 29/12/02 - 12:11 PM Permalink

Now THAT's a marathon.. [:)].. 6 hours. I don't think I could ever manage that. The ents (tree herders) were interesting. They seemed a bit too 'muppet' like to me though. Very exaggerated/comical looking faces in design. And yeh, LOTS of jokes on the dwarf's expense. Oh, and the funny part when Gollum is talking to himself - that had a damn hilarious moment. The audience was laughing their heads off!
I *definately* want to buy the DVD when it comes out.. but I can wait for the special edition/extra footage version..

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Sun, 29/12/02 - 9:52 PM Permalink

I thought the ents weren't very muppet like i just thought they walked funny. But i guess seeing as they are trees that they wouldn't walk like humans. Also the bit with the ents fighting was kewl.
Although was it just me or did only some of the CG creatures intergrate as well as in the first movie. In fellowship the cavetroll intergrated really well and was very believable but the ents and those things the ouraci (don't know how to spell it) riding were quite obvious. But i thought those elephants and the dragon that the wring wraith rides blended quite well.

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Mon, 30/12/02 - 12:29 AM Permalink

I thought the ents looked great, my favoutite scene was when they trash isengard. The only bit I thought looked fake was when legolas jumps down from a ledge and runs towards those guys riding the dog type creatures. It looked really blue screen.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 31/12/02 - 9:27 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Meatex_Salami

I think it's a pretty safe bet to make that there will be a special edition of Two Towers DVD.. I'm sure it's a huge money spinner for them.