Skip to main content

UV Mapping.

Submitted by Dan Ward on
Forum

heh well im spamming these forums with questions atm i hope you will bare with me.

Anyway my question this time is what is the process for UVmapping .. ive done a bunch of tutorials and understand the basics but i just cant seem to find a logical way of doing it.

is it correct to:

1. select the faces of the bit you want to map
2. add a UV map modifier and resize/rotate/scale the gismo till it fits nicely
3. add a UV Unwrap modifier and move stuff around so its all neat.

THEN .. do i add a mesh select modifier and repeat steps 1-3?
that seems to work but im going to end up with a huge stack, or is that normal?

or am i missing something?

thanks again for your all your help

cheers

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 27/03/03 - 9:01 AM Permalink

Dan - Step four would be "collapse mesh and repeat"
every so often using just an unwrap uw modifier to lay the flats out.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 27/03/03 - 12:13 PM Permalink

I just use the unwrap modifier alone now in Max 5, as its easier than doing the whole UWV map modifier dance. You can just add a Unwrap modifier on your mesh then do it all in one place. [:P]

Submitted by Dan Ward on Thu, 27/03/03 - 7:46 PM Permalink

Ok cool thanks guys thats more or less what i have been doing, i guess i was just hoping that i was missing something because its such a bitch of a job :)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 27/03/03 - 7:54 PM Permalink

UVW mapping is one of those things that everytime I do it I think, god there has to be a less annoying way then this.
Maybe there is and people are just keeping quiet about it.
But for the most part every short cut I have seen for UVW mapping makes me wince at the quality of the final product. So I'll just do it the old time consuming, annoying as hell way until something truly better comes along.

Pantmonger

Posted by Dan Ward on
Forum

heh well im spamming these forums with questions atm i hope you will bare with me.

Anyway my question this time is what is the process for UVmapping .. ive done a bunch of tutorials and understand the basics but i just cant seem to find a logical way of doing it.

is it correct to:

1. select the faces of the bit you want to map
2. add a UV map modifier and resize/rotate/scale the gismo till it fits nicely
3. add a UV Unwrap modifier and move stuff around so its all neat.

THEN .. do i add a mesh select modifier and repeat steps 1-3?
that seems to work but im going to end up with a huge stack, or is that normal?

or am i missing something?

thanks again for your all your help

cheers

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 27/03/03 - 9:01 AM Permalink

Dan - Step four would be "collapse mesh and repeat"
every so often using just an unwrap uw modifier to lay the flats out.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 27/03/03 - 12:13 PM Permalink

I just use the unwrap modifier alone now in Max 5, as its easier than doing the whole UWV map modifier dance. You can just add a Unwrap modifier on your mesh then do it all in one place. [:P]

Submitted by Dan Ward on Thu, 27/03/03 - 7:46 PM Permalink

Ok cool thanks guys thats more or less what i have been doing, i guess i was just hoping that i was missing something because its such a bitch of a job :)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 27/03/03 - 7:54 PM Permalink

UVW mapping is one of those things that everytime I do it I think, god there has to be a less annoying way then this.
Maybe there is and people are just keeping quiet about it.
But for the most part every short cut I have seen for UVW mapping makes me wince at the quality of the final product. So I'll just do it the old time consuming, annoying as hell way until something truly better comes along.

Pantmonger