Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #6 -3D- palantir

Submitted by palantir on

Game concept brief:

The evil corporation conducted secret experiments with DNA splicing in the effort to create genetically engineered super-soldiers. By combining the most desirable features of many different animal species, they hoped to create far more efficient killers then anything nature had created, for military applications. The stealth of felines, the ferocity of canines, the sight of hunting birds, the hearing of bats, the toughness and regenerative powers of lizards, the speed, strength and cunning of all the top predators of the animal kingdom, put into a cauldron of genetic experimentation to create new, unnatural life-forms. But most importantly, these creatures contained the mental capacity of a human being.

After years of experimentation, development, and creature combat training, word of these inhumane abominations eventually leaked out into the public. All it took was a small, well-organised animal rights terrorist group to attack the compound where the creatures were being created. The group attacked the compound in the belief that they would be freeing tortured animals, but soon realised their dreadful mistake when they let loose what seemed like the demons of hell?

Now the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/palantir/20047255142_concept.JPG"[/img]
[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/palantir/20047255142_concept.JPG"]concept.JPG[/url]
32.99?KB

Character concept brief:

This guy is one of the smaller opponents of the game. While they don?t take much to kill, they are very quick, both in the air and on the ground, but more importantly, they are incredibly sneaky. Their human-like brain makes them deadly opponents ? especially in numbers as they group together and use intelligent team tactics to attack the player. They have several standard attacks such as claw slashing and charging/tackling, though their most dangerous attack is their highly poisonous bite ? one quick bite is enough to temporarily paralyse the victim (leading to death if anti-venom is not attained), while a serious bite is instant death. The best tactic for these creatures is simply to avoid them by sneaking, and to run away if they spot you. Attacking them usually results in a waste of ammo (unless you?re a really good shot)? though in desperate situations melee weapons (knives, swords, etc) are the best option. A good stab to the body is just as deadly for these guys as it is for any animal. Just watch your back when you?re doing it!

Visually, these guys seem to be mainly a combination of poisonous bat (wings and some facial features), lizard (tail), canine (hind legs) and human (upper body, arms and head). Their skin is leathery and mostly dark coloured, though the wings and tail have a splash of bright colour to represent their poisonous nature ? this colour is a trait attained from poisonous animals found in nature (generally venomous animals have bright colours as a warning signal for other animals to stay away).

Approximate scale:
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/palantir/200472551618_scale.JPG[…]

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/palantir/200472551618_scale.JPG"]scale.JPG[/url]
38.01?KB

Submitted by conundrum on Mon, 26/07/04 - 5:46 AM Permalink

looks very nice so far, finally someone other than me has gone with a good old fashioned monster. i like the proportions as they are although the only crit i have is that you should maybe try to accentuate some of the features of the creature as it looks quite bland right now, possibly enlarge his hindparts, and give his body a slope down to his head. just an example. keep it up though, cant wait to see the model.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 26/07/04 - 6:18 AM Permalink

yeah atm he does look pretty generic, perhaps have the skin and texture differetiate (sp?) between the different areas to show where the dog end and the bat beings etc, because whilst your explanation fits his consrtuction right now, he could just as easily be a gargoyle type character with no multiple species influence.
good start though.

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 26/07/04 - 5:27 PM Permalink

Thanks guys. Yeah, I think you are right. I think I?ll play around with the hind legs and make them more, er, werewolf like. I was thinking maybe about adding a line of spikes along his back and tail also, kind of like a dinosaur might have.

But as Moonunit pointed out, texturing will be the important part when it comes to making him less generic. His tail will be like a lizard, his hind section with be fury (if I can work out how to paint that :P), his wings will be bat like, and the idea is that his upper body, arms and head are very human ? with bat facial features giving him a kind of vampire look.

Of course wether I actually make it as far as completing the texture is another story! For now I just want to concentrate on getting the basic mesh done. If I have time, I might later play around with some colour painting to try and hammer out the multiple animal idea a bit more.

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 11/08/04 - 6:39 AM Permalink

Yay, I?ve made a wing =_= Not much yet, but it?s a beginning.
It still needs a bend modifier, and a bit of tweaking.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/palantir/20048911130_wing02.jpg"]wing02.jpg[/url]
36.48 KB
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/palantir/20048911130_wing02.jpg[…]
Yeah, it's about 1300 polys. I'll probably need to reduce that later.

Next I plan on doing the legs. I?m thinking that I might beef the leg muscles up a bit, while keeping the front smaller. I?m not sure yet.

I just need to get on the ?puter after work instead of always crashing in front of the PS2! [:P] Damn you Spiderman 2 and your massive city!

Submitted by tojo on Wed, 11/08/04 - 7:18 PM Permalink

that would certainly be very cool...... and i dont think i have ever seen a creature which mimics the kangaroo.....

it would be like watching skippy on acid

Posted by palantir on

Game concept brief:

The evil corporation conducted secret experiments with DNA splicing in the effort to create genetically engineered super-soldiers. By combining the most desirable features of many different animal species, they hoped to create far more efficient killers then anything nature had created, for military applications. The stealth of felines, the ferocity of canines, the sight of hunting birds, the hearing of bats, the toughness and regenerative powers of lizards, the speed, strength and cunning of all the top predators of the animal kingdom, put into a cauldron of genetic experimentation to create new, unnatural life-forms. But most importantly, these creatures contained the mental capacity of a human being.

After years of experimentation, development, and creature combat training, word of these inhumane abominations eventually leaked out into the public. All it took was a small, well-organised animal rights terrorist group to attack the compound where the creatures were being created. The group attacked the compound in the belief that they would be freeing tortured animals, but soon realised their dreadful mistake when they let loose what seemed like the demons of hell?

Now the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/palantir/20047255142_concept.JPG"[/img]
[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/palantir/20047255142_concept.JPG"]concept.JPG[/url]
32.99?KB

Character concept brief:

This guy is one of the smaller opponents of the game. While they don?t take much to kill, they are very quick, both in the air and on the ground, but more importantly, they are incredibly sneaky. Their human-like brain makes them deadly opponents ? especially in numbers as they group together and use intelligent team tactics to attack the player. They have several standard attacks such as claw slashing and charging/tackling, though their most dangerous attack is their highly poisonous bite ? one quick bite is enough to temporarily paralyse the victim (leading to death if anti-venom is not attained), while a serious bite is instant death. The best tactic for these creatures is simply to avoid them by sneaking, and to run away if they spot you. Attacking them usually results in a waste of ammo (unless you?re a really good shot)? though in desperate situations melee weapons (knives, swords, etc) are the best option. A good stab to the body is just as deadly for these guys as it is for any animal. Just watch your back when you?re doing it!

Visually, these guys seem to be mainly a combination of poisonous bat (wings and some facial features), lizard (tail), canine (hind legs) and human (upper body, arms and head). Their skin is leathery and mostly dark coloured, though the wings and tail have a splash of bright colour to represent their poisonous nature ? this colour is a trait attained from poisonous animals found in nature (generally venomous animals have bright colours as a warning signal for other animals to stay away).

Approximate scale:
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/palantir/200472551618_scale.JPG[…]

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/palantir/200472551618_scale.JPG"]scale.JPG[/url]
38.01?KB

Submitted by conundrum on Mon, 26/07/04 - 5:46 AM Permalink

looks very nice so far, finally someone other than me has gone with a good old fashioned monster. i like the proportions as they are although the only crit i have is that you should maybe try to accentuate some of the features of the creature as it looks quite bland right now, possibly enlarge his hindparts, and give his body a slope down to his head. just an example. keep it up though, cant wait to see the model.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 26/07/04 - 6:18 AM Permalink

yeah atm he does look pretty generic, perhaps have the skin and texture differetiate (sp?) between the different areas to show where the dog end and the bat beings etc, because whilst your explanation fits his consrtuction right now, he could just as easily be a gargoyle type character with no multiple species influence.
good start though.

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 26/07/04 - 5:27 PM Permalink

Thanks guys. Yeah, I think you are right. I think I?ll play around with the hind legs and make them more, er, werewolf like. I was thinking maybe about adding a line of spikes along his back and tail also, kind of like a dinosaur might have.

But as Moonunit pointed out, texturing will be the important part when it comes to making him less generic. His tail will be like a lizard, his hind section with be fury (if I can work out how to paint that :P), his wings will be bat like, and the idea is that his upper body, arms and head are very human ? with bat facial features giving him a kind of vampire look.

Of course wether I actually make it as far as completing the texture is another story! For now I just want to concentrate on getting the basic mesh done. If I have time, I might later play around with some colour painting to try and hammer out the multiple animal idea a bit more.

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 11/08/04 - 6:39 AM Permalink

Yay, I?ve made a wing =_= Not much yet, but it?s a beginning.
It still needs a bend modifier, and a bit of tweaking.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/palantir/20048911130_wing02.jpg"]wing02.jpg[/url]
36.48 KB
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/palantir/20048911130_wing02.jpg[…]
Yeah, it's about 1300 polys. I'll probably need to reduce that later.

Next I plan on doing the legs. I?m thinking that I might beef the leg muscles up a bit, while keeping the front smaller. I?m not sure yet.

I just need to get on the ?puter after work instead of always crashing in front of the PS2! [:P] Damn you Spiderman 2 and your massive city!

Submitted by tojo on Wed, 11/08/04 - 7:18 PM Permalink

that would certainly be very cool...... and i dont think i have ever seen a creature which mimics the kangaroo.....

it would be like watching skippy on acid