Skip to main content

Max Payne 2 pictures

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Some cool pictures of Max Payne 2 at the [url="http://forums.3drealms.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=004136"]3D Realms[/url] forum. Maybe it's just me, but I thought Max Payne was a fairly average shooter. Slapped on scanned photosource, unbelievably repetitive looking levels, as well as repetitive gameplay. It was a matter of 'go to the next dreary room', 'shoot people in there', 'proceed to next room and repeat'.. The only element of surprise/annoyance was having people shoot at you as soon as you walk past the doorway. I didn't care much for the story either, but I'm sure that's just me.
The screenshots of MP2 look very nice though. Models look very detailed, and Max Payne doesn't have that overly-constipated look on his face anymore [:)]
Seriously though, these new FPS's are really leaping in bounds in terms of looks/realism, I think.

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 25/06/03 - 11:11 PM Permalink

Yeah I felt very similarly about Max Payne, although I thought the story was alright...it wasn't an amazing story, probably slightly more interesting than HLs though.

I would've liked more variety in the game play, and having to use bullet time less than everytime I walk past a door :)

As for the graphics in Max Payne? They were nice, and it did have some reasonably decent ballistic effects etc - I still don't get what people's problem with Max Payne's 'dirty gym socks smell' face was!

Notice how the only things to come out of the 3DRealms website are done by developers other than 3DRealm's inhouse blokes...

Having said all that - Max Payne 2 looks fairly nice, I'll add that the texture detail is worth noting down as well! I wish we'd take these ultra-realistic graphics and put them in slower/more cinematic games rather than having to run past the scenery all the time and shoot-dodge bullets. Spend too much time looking at enemies and not enough at the environment!

Submitted by Groady on Thu, 26/06/03 - 1:30 AM Permalink

The screen shots look pretty cool. I'm not too keen on why they replaced the real Max Payne (Sam Lake) with some actor. I'm also wondering what the story will be like in the next one, I mean he avenged his wife's death by killing that chick at the end of the last game. Or did he? Maybe she didn't get on the helicopter sword-fish style.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 27/06/03 - 12:26 AM Permalink

like i said on pcount.. Same game, new coat of paint.. :P

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 28/06/03 - 12:19 AM Permalink

Never underestimate a new coat of paint's ability to make a game successful.

Submitted by sho nuff on Tue, 01/07/03 - 11:17 PM Permalink

is it just me, or are the screenshots oversaturated? Either way, textures and models have improved considerably.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 02/07/03 - 12:24 AM Permalink

Maitrek, that and the words 'star wars' at the front of the game :P

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 02/07/03 - 12:31 AM Permalink

Yeah true...
My only other gripe is that max looks like an accountant, not a "hardcore" undercover cop.

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 02/07/03 - 11:58 PM Permalink

Haven't we been doing this for years now anyway? Games are just getting new coats of paint for at least 8 years! At least Max Payne dared to be different in terms of trying a (questionably) strong narrative, and the whole bullet-time concept. I'd gladly play the same game with a new coat of paint again as long as they worked on the difficulty adjusting crap that they did, and perhaps worked a bit harder on the script and voice acting.

You guys are so jaded :P

Submitted by souri on Thu, 03/07/03 - 11:15 PM Permalink

Don't you agree it has some remarkable resemblance to the first one though? The graffiti coloured walls, same old room/barren city dwellings, and street scenes?.. I'm getting a sense of de ja vu with some of those screenshots. It's still early days though, and I'm sure the developers won't be rehashing the same themes..
New coats of paint are good, just don't use the same colour [;)]

Submitted by Maitrek on Fri, 04/07/03 - 12:54 PM Permalink

Yeah I would have to agree a bit on that one, there's nothing about Max Payne 2 that looks any better/different to the original aside from the number of polygons they are trying to push on us.

Posted by souri on
Forum

Some cool pictures of Max Payne 2 at the [url="http://forums.3drealms.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=004136"]3D Realms[/url] forum. Maybe it's just me, but I thought Max Payne was a fairly average shooter. Slapped on scanned photosource, unbelievably repetitive looking levels, as well as repetitive gameplay. It was a matter of 'go to the next dreary room', 'shoot people in there', 'proceed to next room and repeat'.. The only element of surprise/annoyance was having people shoot at you as soon as you walk past the doorway. I didn't care much for the story either, but I'm sure that's just me.
The screenshots of MP2 look very nice though. Models look very detailed, and Max Payne doesn't have that overly-constipated look on his face anymore [:)]
Seriously though, these new FPS's are really leaping in bounds in terms of looks/realism, I think.

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 25/06/03 - 11:11 PM Permalink

Yeah I felt very similarly about Max Payne, although I thought the story was alright...it wasn't an amazing story, probably slightly more interesting than HLs though.

I would've liked more variety in the game play, and having to use bullet time less than everytime I walk past a door :)

As for the graphics in Max Payne? They were nice, and it did have some reasonably decent ballistic effects etc - I still don't get what people's problem with Max Payne's 'dirty gym socks smell' face was!

Notice how the only things to come out of the 3DRealms website are done by developers other than 3DRealm's inhouse blokes...

Having said all that - Max Payne 2 looks fairly nice, I'll add that the texture detail is worth noting down as well! I wish we'd take these ultra-realistic graphics and put them in slower/more cinematic games rather than having to run past the scenery all the time and shoot-dodge bullets. Spend too much time looking at enemies and not enough at the environment!

Submitted by Groady on Thu, 26/06/03 - 1:30 AM Permalink

The screen shots look pretty cool. I'm not too keen on why they replaced the real Max Payne (Sam Lake) with some actor. I'm also wondering what the story will be like in the next one, I mean he avenged his wife's death by killing that chick at the end of the last game. Or did he? Maybe she didn't get on the helicopter sword-fish style.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 27/06/03 - 12:26 AM Permalink

like i said on pcount.. Same game, new coat of paint.. :P

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 28/06/03 - 12:19 AM Permalink

Never underestimate a new coat of paint's ability to make a game successful.

Submitted by sho nuff on Tue, 01/07/03 - 11:17 PM Permalink

is it just me, or are the screenshots oversaturated? Either way, textures and models have improved considerably.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 02/07/03 - 12:24 AM Permalink

Maitrek, that and the words 'star wars' at the front of the game :P

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 02/07/03 - 12:31 AM Permalink

Yeah true...
My only other gripe is that max looks like an accountant, not a "hardcore" undercover cop.

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 02/07/03 - 11:58 PM Permalink

Haven't we been doing this for years now anyway? Games are just getting new coats of paint for at least 8 years! At least Max Payne dared to be different in terms of trying a (questionably) strong narrative, and the whole bullet-time concept. I'd gladly play the same game with a new coat of paint again as long as they worked on the difficulty adjusting crap that they did, and perhaps worked a bit harder on the script and voice acting.

You guys are so jaded :P

Submitted by souri on Thu, 03/07/03 - 11:15 PM Permalink

Don't you agree it has some remarkable resemblance to the first one though? The graffiti coloured walls, same old room/barren city dwellings, and street scenes?.. I'm getting a sense of de ja vu with some of those screenshots. It's still early days though, and I'm sure the developers won't be rehashing the same themes..
New coats of paint are good, just don't use the same colour [;)]

Submitted by Maitrek on Fri, 04/07/03 - 12:54 PM Permalink

Yeah I would have to agree a bit on that one, there's nothing about Max Payne 2 that looks any better/different to the original aside from the number of polygons they are trying to push on us.