Skip to main content

Programmers are here to help!

Submitted by Kezza on

When modelling your creations, don't forget that there's alot more to asthetics in the unreal engine than just materials and polygons.

Custom particle, mesh and trail emmitters can be linked to specially named bones on your mesh. Light trails from glowing points, and steam from exaust vents are just examples of what is possible in this area.

While there are some means to work with these things using unrealEd, it IS unrealscript based work... so it's a good idea to get some help from myself and the programmers on the team.
We'll even be able to do a few prototype weapons ([url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2908"]Example[/url]) if anyone's interested in using these to show off in their submitted screenshots.

Anyway it'll give us something to do, because we've been quite disorganised up to this point.

Submitted by Azazel on Wed, 27/04/05 - 5:24 AM Permalink

Alright, here's a question for you then since this whole game engine thing is something I'm clueless on. I'm having some trouble with the glowy bits in my design. Ordinarilly I'd just ignore that but from what I've read they have to be there as a way to tell the teams apart. So then I got to thinking about smoke.

Would it be possible to have part of a model, say the eye sockets, emit coloured or glowy smoke? I'm thinking that may be one way to solve my problem without covering the figure in little lights.

I'm working redesigning the head at the moment so hopefully I'll have some drawings for you to get an idea of what I mean.

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 28/04/05 - 12:07 AM Permalink

apparently you can attach particles to certai bones, or sounds to certain keyframes, and other suhc things. so i dont see how what you want could be a problem. better confirm that with a coder first though cos i donjt know how to do it, butr it cant be too hard.

Submitted by Kezza on Thu, 28/04/05 - 11:25 AM Permalink

It's very easy to attach emitters (which cover most effects) to extra bones on a mesh. If the effect uses or has to be oriented to face a certain way (such as wall hit effects) then the bone must orient itself in that direction.

This can probably be rigged up even just using property settings in unrealEd, though i'm not sure if 100% of effect types are visible in the editor views.

you can also have "emmisive" materials and submaterials that are applied at full brigtness regardless of lighting. This effect is present on the walls of many levels (such as phobos2, where a texpanner and alpha mask are used to make a glow that runs up the cracks in the walls every second or so)

Submitted by DamienP on Sat, 30/04/05 - 10:30 PM Permalink

Can I use Skin to rig a model, or does it have to be Physique?

Submitted by Kezza on Sun, 01/05/05 - 2:34 AM Permalink

I don't know much about that area. You'll have to read up the ActorX plugin documentation to find out what's allowed.
Here's a tutorial on how to use ActorX in 3dsmax: http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ActorXMaxTutorial

It appears that you're able to use either.

Submitted by LiveWire on Sun, 01/05/05 - 5:48 AM Permalink

either should be fine as far as i know. i've only used physique, and that's what the UT characters use, but i'm pretty sure skinf works too.

also, i have a skin-physique converting script if anyone wants it:

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/LiveWire/200543054625_phy2skin.t…"]phy2skin.txt[/url]
22.9 KB

works in both max 6 and 7 (and is quite reliable too!). rename the .txt file to .dlu after you download it

Submitted by Kezza on Sun, 01/05/05 - 10:56 AM Permalink

.dlu?
that's no script! it's a full blown plugin!

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 02/05/05 - 3:53 AM Permalink

whatever, you put in in max and it all does the same stuff :)

Submitted by DamienP on Thu, 05/05/05 - 9:56 AM Permalink

You mention emitting light trails from glowy bits, I'd love to know some more about that.

Submitted by Kezza on Sun, 08/05/05 - 7:16 AM Permalink

Light trails can be managed using either a billboard or trail particle emitter that is attached to a bone.
For example the speed combo effect causes the player's feet to emit a bright yellow trail effect in this way.

Posted by Kezza on

When modelling your creations, don't forget that there's alot more to asthetics in the unreal engine than just materials and polygons.

Custom particle, mesh and trail emmitters can be linked to specially named bones on your mesh. Light trails from glowing points, and steam from exaust vents are just examples of what is possible in this area.

While there are some means to work with these things using unrealEd, it IS unrealscript based work... so it's a good idea to get some help from myself and the programmers on the team.
We'll even be able to do a few prototype weapons ([url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2908"]Example[/url]) if anyone's interested in using these to show off in their submitted screenshots.

Anyway it'll give us something to do, because we've been quite disorganised up to this point.

Submitted by Azazel on Wed, 27/04/05 - 5:24 AM Permalink

Alright, here's a question for you then since this whole game engine thing is something I'm clueless on. I'm having some trouble with the glowy bits in my design. Ordinarilly I'd just ignore that but from what I've read they have to be there as a way to tell the teams apart. So then I got to thinking about smoke.

Would it be possible to have part of a model, say the eye sockets, emit coloured or glowy smoke? I'm thinking that may be one way to solve my problem without covering the figure in little lights.

I'm working redesigning the head at the moment so hopefully I'll have some drawings for you to get an idea of what I mean.

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 28/04/05 - 12:07 AM Permalink

apparently you can attach particles to certai bones, or sounds to certain keyframes, and other suhc things. so i dont see how what you want could be a problem. better confirm that with a coder first though cos i donjt know how to do it, butr it cant be too hard.

Submitted by Kezza on Thu, 28/04/05 - 11:25 AM Permalink

It's very easy to attach emitters (which cover most effects) to extra bones on a mesh. If the effect uses or has to be oriented to face a certain way (such as wall hit effects) then the bone must orient itself in that direction.

This can probably be rigged up even just using property settings in unrealEd, though i'm not sure if 100% of effect types are visible in the editor views.

you can also have "emmisive" materials and submaterials that are applied at full brigtness regardless of lighting. This effect is present on the walls of many levels (such as phobos2, where a texpanner and alpha mask are used to make a glow that runs up the cracks in the walls every second or so)

Submitted by DamienP on Sat, 30/04/05 - 10:30 PM Permalink

Can I use Skin to rig a model, or does it have to be Physique?

Submitted by Kezza on Sun, 01/05/05 - 2:34 AM Permalink

I don't know much about that area. You'll have to read up the ActorX plugin documentation to find out what's allowed.
Here's a tutorial on how to use ActorX in 3dsmax: http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ActorXMaxTutorial

It appears that you're able to use either.

Submitted by LiveWire on Sun, 01/05/05 - 5:48 AM Permalink

either should be fine as far as i know. i've only used physique, and that's what the UT characters use, but i'm pretty sure skinf works too.

also, i have a skin-physique converting script if anyone wants it:

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/LiveWire/200543054625_phy2skin.t…"]phy2skin.txt[/url]
22.9 KB

works in both max 6 and 7 (and is quite reliable too!). rename the .txt file to .dlu after you download it

Submitted by Kezza on Sun, 01/05/05 - 10:56 AM Permalink

.dlu?
that's no script! it's a full blown plugin!

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 02/05/05 - 3:53 AM Permalink

whatever, you put in in max and it all does the same stuff :)

Submitted by DamienP on Thu, 05/05/05 - 9:56 AM Permalink

You mention emitting light trails from glowy bits, I'd love to know some more about that.

Submitted by Kezza on Sun, 08/05/05 - 7:16 AM Permalink

Light trails can be managed using either a billboard or trail particle emitter that is attached to a bone.
For example the speed combo effect causes the player's feet to emit a bright yellow trail effect in this way.