Skip to main content

Burney - WIP

Submitted by Dan Ward on

Heres a character im working on at the moment, he is based on a character from the Stephen King novel "Black House"

He is supposed to be a 80 year old nursing home patient with a penchant for cutting people up with pruning shears and eating small children.

Poly Target is 3000 - haven't done the shears yet.

Colours are smoothing groups only, the texture will be very bloody/dirty (hopefully)

C&C appreciated please.

[img]http://www.steelkey.com.au/wip.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Doord on Sat, 26/04/03 - 10:04 PM Permalink

I will have to say that he does look very cartoonly. Which isn't a bad thing if that is what you are going for.

I will say the polycount is far to high for the model you have there. Which I find is the problem with alot of new modeler, were the older model have been used to optimizing and now are able to get a lot more out of a game model because of it.

http://www.geocities.com/doord/Tut_1.htm

Here is a tut of mine that goes into the it a bit, I did write it last year and I have also only been working on game art for about 1.2 years when I did write it so things that are in it are a bit out of date. But on the other hand there could be some stuff in there which may help you out.

Submitted by Dan Ward on Tue, 29/04/03 - 2:48 AM Permalink

Thanks for the feedback Doord. I agree that he is quite cartoony but i think thats in large part due to the block colours that he has on at the moment.

I was aiming for a 3000 poly model so i dont think he has to many, hes been optimised since that picture and he now weights in at around 2500, theres a fair few polys in his teeth which you cant really see in these shots but are a big part of the concept i have in my head for the model.

Unfortunately im not sure if he will ever end up with a texture because i cant UVmap him for the life of me .. spent 2 days trying to get a decent map and it just wont work for me and i have no idea why because hes quite a simple shape.

I checked your tutorial out, looks good thanks.

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 30/04/03 - 9:43 AM Permalink

I think with the face texture, you need to define the part on the nose directly above the nostrils... you know the small crease there? Without that he looks a little too weird :P

Submitted by souri on Thu, 01/05/03 - 10:58 PM Permalink

His legs look maybe a bit too straight.. too much like a cylinder. With 3000 polygons, you should have enough to do some folds and things with it. and the straps of the singlet - I think I would have made them rest more closer towards his neck, and not covering his shoulder, if you know what I mean.

Submitted by StrkEagle on Thu, 01/05/03 - 11:04 PM Permalink

reminds me of billy-bob thornton in slingblade

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 02/05/03 - 6:51 AM Permalink

coming along well...

that stain on the back of his pants is a little distracting :)

Submitted by Dan Ward on Fri, 02/05/03 - 6:15 PM Permalink

heh yeah i said he was going to be dirty/bloody, all in all Burney is not someone you would want to cross paths with.

Anyone read the book "Black House"? Its a pretty recent one by Stephen King and Peter Straub kinda a continuation of "Talisman"

Burney is the bad guy from that book.

Final shot: hes the sort of character that you could spend forever texturing but my UVmap is to dodgey to make it worth it so il stop now.. anyone want a challenge then drop me a email and il send you the mesh see if you can UVmap it :)

Hes a little bloody, hes just chopped up 3 people with a pair of garden shears (which il model if i ever learn how to rig)... enjoy.

[img]http://www.steelkey.com.au/final.jpg[/img]

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 02/05/03 - 10:12 PM Permalink

i havent seen too many people right after they have chopped up 3 people with a pair of garden shears so correct me if im wrong :) but the blood on his arms seems a little over saturated.

well done :)

Submitted by Dan Ward on Fri, 02/05/03 - 10:54 PM Permalink

to be honest i havent seen to many myself so i had to kinda make that bit up, in my defence id just like to say that the blood on his arms is FRESH :)

Submitted by Major Clod on Sat, 03/05/03 - 6:49 AM Permalink

Splash a little bit of bloody on his face, that will make him look quite insane :P

Posted by Dan Ward on

Heres a character im working on at the moment, he is based on a character from the Stephen King novel "Black House"

He is supposed to be a 80 year old nursing home patient with a penchant for cutting people up with pruning shears and eating small children.

Poly Target is 3000 - haven't done the shears yet.

Colours are smoothing groups only, the texture will be very bloody/dirty (hopefully)

C&C appreciated please.

[img]http://www.steelkey.com.au/wip.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Doord on Sat, 26/04/03 - 10:04 PM Permalink

I will have to say that he does look very cartoonly. Which isn't a bad thing if that is what you are going for.

I will say the polycount is far to high for the model you have there. Which I find is the problem with alot of new modeler, were the older model have been used to optimizing and now are able to get a lot more out of a game model because of it.

http://www.geocities.com/doord/Tut_1.htm

Here is a tut of mine that goes into the it a bit, I did write it last year and I have also only been working on game art for about 1.2 years when I did write it so things that are in it are a bit out of date. But on the other hand there could be some stuff in there which may help you out.

Submitted by Dan Ward on Tue, 29/04/03 - 2:48 AM Permalink

Thanks for the feedback Doord. I agree that he is quite cartoony but i think thats in large part due to the block colours that he has on at the moment.

I was aiming for a 3000 poly model so i dont think he has to many, hes been optimised since that picture and he now weights in at around 2500, theres a fair few polys in his teeth which you cant really see in these shots but are a big part of the concept i have in my head for the model.

Unfortunately im not sure if he will ever end up with a texture because i cant UVmap him for the life of me .. spent 2 days trying to get a decent map and it just wont work for me and i have no idea why because hes quite a simple shape.

I checked your tutorial out, looks good thanks.

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 30/04/03 - 9:43 AM Permalink

I think with the face texture, you need to define the part on the nose directly above the nostrils... you know the small crease there? Without that he looks a little too weird :P

Submitted by souri on Thu, 01/05/03 - 10:58 PM Permalink

His legs look maybe a bit too straight.. too much like a cylinder. With 3000 polygons, you should have enough to do some folds and things with it. and the straps of the singlet - I think I would have made them rest more closer towards his neck, and not covering his shoulder, if you know what I mean.

Submitted by StrkEagle on Thu, 01/05/03 - 11:04 PM Permalink

reminds me of billy-bob thornton in slingblade

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 02/05/03 - 6:51 AM Permalink

coming along well...

that stain on the back of his pants is a little distracting :)

Submitted by Dan Ward on Fri, 02/05/03 - 6:15 PM Permalink

heh yeah i said he was going to be dirty/bloody, all in all Burney is not someone you would want to cross paths with.

Anyone read the book "Black House"? Its a pretty recent one by Stephen King and Peter Straub kinda a continuation of "Talisman"

Burney is the bad guy from that book.

Final shot: hes the sort of character that you could spend forever texturing but my UVmap is to dodgey to make it worth it so il stop now.. anyone want a challenge then drop me a email and il send you the mesh see if you can UVmap it :)

Hes a little bloody, hes just chopped up 3 people with a pair of garden shears (which il model if i ever learn how to rig)... enjoy.

[img]http://www.steelkey.com.au/final.jpg[/img]

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 02/05/03 - 10:12 PM Permalink

i havent seen too many people right after they have chopped up 3 people with a pair of garden shears so correct me if im wrong :) but the blood on his arms seems a little over saturated.

well done :)

Submitted by Dan Ward on Fri, 02/05/03 - 10:54 PM Permalink

to be honest i havent seen to many myself so i had to kinda make that bit up, in my defence id just like to say that the blood on his arms is FRESH :)

Submitted by Major Clod on Sat, 03/05/03 - 6:49 AM Permalink

Splash a little bit of bloody on his face, that will make him look quite insane :P