Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #4 -3D- Goldenchocobo

I started modelling this last week it seems to fit in with the comps specification so I'm entering.

this was the basic concepts. I never intended to make a model of a demon, I was just sketching on my tablet and drew something that kind of look demonic and it inspired me to model and it just evolved from there. I was originally planing on makeing him with wings but it just didn't seem right to me after a while so I scratched that idea.
[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/silverchocobo/demon_concept1.jpg[/img]
this is what I have done so far. The face texture itself almost takes up a 512 so far but I'll shrink it to 256 for this comp so I have room to texture the rest of him.
[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/silverchocobo/textured_horny_head_wire.j…]

Submitted by Ninja on Sun, 24/08/03 - 4:27 AM Permalink

damn that is looking nice.... awesome concept too i love the face [:)] diablo inspired.......!!!! lots of detail too [:D]

Submitted by Goldenchocobo on Sun, 24/08/03 - 4:38 AM Permalink

thank ninja
but I never played diablo.I didn't reference, I was just doodleing. It is what in my mind I picture a demon looking like, I guess.

Submitted by Ninja on Sun, 24/08/03 - 6:44 AM Permalink

hehe sorry i didnt mean to sound like u copied diablo [:)] i meant it is a good quick sketch on the wacom [:)] cant wait to see his full proportion [:)]

Submitted by smeg on Mon, 25/08/03 - 12:50 AM Permalink

Cool. I really like that concept. The face is looking very sweet.

Looking forward to seeing more =D

Submitted by Piss Poor on Tue, 26/08/03 - 3:55 AM Permalink

looking good nice design and model,i particularly like the heroic stance he has been modelled in.
could we see some wires next time to get a better look at it:)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 26/08/03 - 6:50 AM Permalink

model the groin!!

its looking pretty good, I think the mesh could use some more definition in regards to muscles etc (defined abs for example). Maybe you could post some wires so we can see where the polies are?

Nice solid model though.

Submitted by Ninja on Tue, 26/08/03 - 8:24 AM Permalink

that is looking quite nice but im concerned about some parts of the proportion [:)] like arms are a little short..... also his arse can be defined more its too small.... Dunno hes a demon it can take any form, size, and shape [:)] but man that is looking awesome so far........ keep up the good work [:D]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 26/08/03 - 8:48 AM Permalink

I think the arms are fine, the general rule for a humanoid, is that the hands should be about one hands length from the knee - they look a little off because they are so beefy

Submitted by smeg on Tue, 26/08/03 - 9:45 PM Permalink

Hehe, for some reason i really like it with those muscles drawn on =D

Looks cool man (but he needs more of an arse).

cheers

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:13 PM Permalink

The arms seem correct but the ass does need some padding, even if its stylised, its a major muscle group for his leg movements and needs more bulk to get power.

I would also clean up the face, you have too many polys that aren't defining any shape, especially around the nose.

Awesome concept though, I really like the profile shots in the top right corner of the first image.

I would use some polys from the excess in the face to define more muscle shape but the abs can be done effectively with a texture, I wouldn't use geometry.

Nice start, look forward to seeing this one completed.

Submitted by goodgod on Fri, 29/08/03 - 6:30 AM Permalink

I think that face has the most character and professional look out of all the entries so far and a body that fits perfectly but.. nothing the arms are the right proportions and the arse is just a little small but easily fixed. I?m sure goldenchocobo can handle it.

Really like it.

Please comment on my work and share your artistic gift with me.

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 29/08/03 - 7:29 PM Permalink

hehe sorry bout the comment i made on the arms[xx(]..... u guys are right it is the right proportion, i thought it was slightly short cause he had beefy muscles on it [:)]

can't wait to see it finished....[8)]

Submitted by Happy Camper on Fri, 29/08/03 - 10:58 PM Permalink

Dude thats awesome, very profession. I'm jealous i wish i had something like that in my portfolio.

Submitted by Doord on Sat, 30/08/03 - 12:54 AM Permalink

Oh, you are missing the little bit of ribs you should be able to see before the abs. Or the cut bit between the chest and abs, caused by the litle gap were the ribs are.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 02/09/03 - 3:13 AM Permalink

Nice start Goldenchocobo.
I like the way you have painted the hair.
I assume you will be going in later and sharpening things up and adding more detials to the flesh, etc.
Im not much of a modeller so I cant really help out in that area, but it looks like you set up the face for face anims? if so I think that will look really cool.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 02/09/03 - 7:28 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Goldenchocobo
I've made the ass bigger and done a fair bit of the texturing I'm still debating weather to give him genital detail of

I think the ass/hips might need to be adjusted still. Maybe he's just 'clenching'.

As for detail in the genital area - you could give him a raging phallus but I imagine you'd scare everyone away. Interesting tho' is that a lot of European demon pictures depict demons/Satan in that manner. I'd personally go the J.I Styles route and give him an ornate codpiece. He needs some adornments of some sort because despite the cool model, he's looking a bit bare.

Perhaps a necklace or armbands of some sort? Check some Final Fantasy pics of Ifrit or something.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 02/09/03 - 7:46 PM Permalink

Maybe an Akuma esk giant bead necklace.

This model looks well made, with the detail in the face being an obvious highlight, but... He does appear a bit dull (no offence) Nothing in particular brings out the Demon Overlord image to me. In my opinion he needs stuff. What stuff is up to you but he does need some stuff.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 02/09/03 - 10:17 PM Permalink

I'd model the wang just to be controversial..

I think its lacking in accessories too. While the mesh is well built, I think the silhoutte is kinda generic. I believe thats part of the design.. Probably too late to mention that while texturing..

Anyways, good job so far.

Submitted by smeg on Wed, 03/09/03 - 1:31 AM Permalink

Looks nice ari.

I can't think of any decent weapons suggestions, so i'll leave that one alone. What i would suggest is a bit more of that hair. Give him a hairy groin, hairy forearms, and hair anywhere else you see fit.

The hair on his head looks awesome, and it would really break up the rest of his body.

the arse is much nicer, it just needs to be hairy... :)

Submitted by SHaRD on Sat, 06/09/03 - 3:08 AM Permalink

Looks alot better with those changes, I could see this guy with a massivly huge double handed sword (which he would hold in one hand..)

i rekon that would look sweet:D

Submitted by adie on Mon, 08/09/03 - 8:09 PM Permalink

nice work .[}:)].clasic deamon.[}:)]. he look a bit clean though .. i think it would be derty as hell in hell..

Submitted by Happy Camper on Mon, 08/09/03 - 9:31 PM Permalink

How about a claymore, a warhammer or a battleaxe...

I think you should give him a weapon but something unique, not your average short sword.

Submitted by TequilaBomber on Mon, 08/09/03 - 10:03 PM Permalink

Flaming sword a la hellfire maybe? Nice work on the face.

Submitted by davidcoen on Tue, 09/09/03 - 9:45 AM Permalink

>to give him genital detail of and/or a weapon

well, combine the two then....

Submitted by Ionized on Wed, 10/09/03 - 4:00 AM Permalink

Nice work so far. I like the hair and the muscalature is coming along well.

The ass is definately too small for the body and I think the rule for hands is that they should come halfway down the thigh. Yours are still a little too high. I think the area you might want to lengthen is between the bicep and forearm as he doesn't seem to have the dip that forms there, even on muscle men.

He would look cool with some tattos or scarification I think. Nice work, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Wed, 10/09/03 - 11:21 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by davidcoen

Yeah sure, having a weapon instead of the standard unit seams practical untill he and his demonic lady friend want to "take care of business".[:p].

I started modelling this last week it seems to fit in with the comps specification so I'm entering.

this was the basic concepts. I never intended to make a model of a demon, I was just sketching on my tablet and drew something that kind of look demonic and it inspired me to model and it just evolved from there. I was originally planing on makeing him with wings but it just didn't seem right to me after a while so I scratched that idea.
[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/silverchocobo/demon_concept1.jpg[/img]
this is what I have done so far. The face texture itself almost takes up a 512 so far but I'll shrink it to 256 for this comp so I have room to texture the rest of him.
[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/silverchocobo/textured_horny_head_wire.j…]

Submitted by Ninja on Sun, 24/08/03 - 4:27 AM Permalink

damn that is looking nice.... awesome concept too i love the face [:)] diablo inspired.......!!!! lots of detail too [:D]

Submitted by Goldenchocobo on Sun, 24/08/03 - 4:38 AM Permalink

thank ninja
but I never played diablo.I didn't reference, I was just doodleing. It is what in my mind I picture a demon looking like, I guess.

Submitted by Ninja on Sun, 24/08/03 - 6:44 AM Permalink

hehe sorry i didnt mean to sound like u copied diablo [:)] i meant it is a good quick sketch on the wacom [:)] cant wait to see his full proportion [:)]

Submitted by smeg on Mon, 25/08/03 - 12:50 AM Permalink

Cool. I really like that concept. The face is looking very sweet.

Looking forward to seeing more =D

Submitted by Piss Poor on Tue, 26/08/03 - 3:55 AM Permalink

looking good nice design and model,i particularly like the heroic stance he has been modelled in.
could we see some wires next time to get a better look at it:)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 26/08/03 - 6:50 AM Permalink

model the groin!!

its looking pretty good, I think the mesh could use some more definition in regards to muscles etc (defined abs for example). Maybe you could post some wires so we can see where the polies are?

Nice solid model though.

Submitted by Ninja on Tue, 26/08/03 - 8:24 AM Permalink

that is looking quite nice but im concerned about some parts of the proportion [:)] like arms are a little short..... also his arse can be defined more its too small.... Dunno hes a demon it can take any form, size, and shape [:)] but man that is looking awesome so far........ keep up the good work [:D]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 26/08/03 - 8:48 AM Permalink

I think the arms are fine, the general rule for a humanoid, is that the hands should be about one hands length from the knee - they look a little off because they are so beefy

Submitted by smeg on Tue, 26/08/03 - 9:45 PM Permalink

Hehe, for some reason i really like it with those muscles drawn on =D

Looks cool man (but he needs more of an arse).

cheers

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:13 PM Permalink

The arms seem correct but the ass does need some padding, even if its stylised, its a major muscle group for his leg movements and needs more bulk to get power.

I would also clean up the face, you have too many polys that aren't defining any shape, especially around the nose.

Awesome concept though, I really like the profile shots in the top right corner of the first image.

I would use some polys from the excess in the face to define more muscle shape but the abs can be done effectively with a texture, I wouldn't use geometry.

Nice start, look forward to seeing this one completed.

Submitted by goodgod on Fri, 29/08/03 - 6:30 AM Permalink

I think that face has the most character and professional look out of all the entries so far and a body that fits perfectly but.. nothing the arms are the right proportions and the arse is just a little small but easily fixed. I?m sure goldenchocobo can handle it.

Really like it.

Please comment on my work and share your artistic gift with me.

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 29/08/03 - 7:29 PM Permalink

hehe sorry bout the comment i made on the arms[xx(]..... u guys are right it is the right proportion, i thought it was slightly short cause he had beefy muscles on it [:)]

can't wait to see it finished....[8)]

Submitted by Happy Camper on Fri, 29/08/03 - 10:58 PM Permalink

Dude thats awesome, very profession. I'm jealous i wish i had something like that in my portfolio.

Submitted by Doord on Sat, 30/08/03 - 12:54 AM Permalink

Oh, you are missing the little bit of ribs you should be able to see before the abs. Or the cut bit between the chest and abs, caused by the litle gap were the ribs are.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 02/09/03 - 3:13 AM Permalink

Nice start Goldenchocobo.
I like the way you have painted the hair.
I assume you will be going in later and sharpening things up and adding more detials to the flesh, etc.
Im not much of a modeller so I cant really help out in that area, but it looks like you set up the face for face anims? if so I think that will look really cool.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 02/09/03 - 7:28 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Goldenchocobo
I've made the ass bigger and done a fair bit of the texturing I'm still debating weather to give him genital detail of

I think the ass/hips might need to be adjusted still. Maybe he's just 'clenching'.

As for detail in the genital area - you could give him a raging phallus but I imagine you'd scare everyone away. Interesting tho' is that a lot of European demon pictures depict demons/Satan in that manner. I'd personally go the J.I Styles route and give him an ornate codpiece. He needs some adornments of some sort because despite the cool model, he's looking a bit bare.

Perhaps a necklace or armbands of some sort? Check some Final Fantasy pics of Ifrit or something.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 02/09/03 - 7:46 PM Permalink

Maybe an Akuma esk giant bead necklace.

This model looks well made, with the detail in the face being an obvious highlight, but... He does appear a bit dull (no offence) Nothing in particular brings out the Demon Overlord image to me. In my opinion he needs stuff. What stuff is up to you but he does need some stuff.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 02/09/03 - 10:17 PM Permalink

I'd model the wang just to be controversial..

I think its lacking in accessories too. While the mesh is well built, I think the silhoutte is kinda generic. I believe thats part of the design.. Probably too late to mention that while texturing..

Anyways, good job so far.

Submitted by smeg on Wed, 03/09/03 - 1:31 AM Permalink

Looks nice ari.

I can't think of any decent weapons suggestions, so i'll leave that one alone. What i would suggest is a bit more of that hair. Give him a hairy groin, hairy forearms, and hair anywhere else you see fit.

The hair on his head looks awesome, and it would really break up the rest of his body.

the arse is much nicer, it just needs to be hairy... :)

Submitted by SHaRD on Sat, 06/09/03 - 3:08 AM Permalink

Looks alot better with those changes, I could see this guy with a massivly huge double handed sword (which he would hold in one hand..)

i rekon that would look sweet:D

Submitted by adie on Mon, 08/09/03 - 8:09 PM Permalink

nice work .[}:)].clasic deamon.[}:)]. he look a bit clean though .. i think it would be derty as hell in hell..

Submitted by Happy Camper on Mon, 08/09/03 - 9:31 PM Permalink

How about a claymore, a warhammer or a battleaxe...

I think you should give him a weapon but something unique, not your average short sword.

Submitted by TequilaBomber on Mon, 08/09/03 - 10:03 PM Permalink

Flaming sword a la hellfire maybe? Nice work on the face.

Submitted by davidcoen on Tue, 09/09/03 - 9:45 AM Permalink

Submitted by Ionized on Wed, 10/09/03 - 4:00 AM Permalink

Nice work so far. I like the hair and the muscalature is coming along well.

The ass is definately too small for the body and I think the rule for hands is that they should come halfway down the thigh. Yours are still a little too high. I think the area you might want to lengthen is between the bicep and forearm as he doesn't seem to have the dip that forms there, even on muscle men.

He would look cool with some tattos or scarification I think. Nice work, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Wed, 10/09/03 - 11:21 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by davidcoen

Yeah sure, having a weapon instead of the standard unit seams practical untill he and his demonic lady friend want to "take care of business".[:p].