Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #6 - 3D - Jackablade.

Submitted by Jackablade on

I probably won't have time to finish my character given that I have to start working at a dev studio in a bit over a weeks time, but the copy of Max is to good to pass up.

At this stage I'm more or less just staking my claim, I haven't got anything definite in mind as yet. I think I'll try and do something a bit different to the majority of entries here, leaning away from the undead fleshy lumps to some degree and try something a little more eery, more subtle. I've been thinking along the lines of a Sadako typed character (from Ring) but the creepy little girl thing has probably been done far too many times in the past for my liking. I dunno, perhaps I can work with it. It needs to be eye catching too though.

So yes, that didn't get us very far. I'll keep you posted.

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 23/07/04 - 7:17 PM Permalink

Another girl character, but not undead should be interesting.

I seen you work posted on the AIE site I would like to know were are you starting work??

Submitted by Jackablade on Sat, 24/07/04 - 10:19 AM Permalink

Ah, I thought I recognised the alias... Not sure I can put it to a face or name, but I remember hammering you with rifle grenades in ET a few times.

I have work posted up on the AIE website? I'll have to check that out.

I'll be working at Tantalus in Melbourne.

And yeah, the more I look through the proposed entires, the more creepy little girls I see, so I'll be moving away from that idea. Where to exactly I have no idea - creativity has never been one of my really strong suits unfortunately

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Sat, 24/07/04 - 10:44 AM Permalink

You might of been in the first year if you were at the AIE the same time as Doord. As for ET I can't evern think of what that is. I remember playing BF 1942 a bit against the first years.

Unless someone with the same name as you who went to the AIE then I belive this is your work:

http://www.aie.act.edu.au/graduate/03_graduate.php?ID=33

I think you would of remembered something like this, hence you gave them the render to put up...

Anyways congrags about the Job at Tantalus

and it sounds like a good idea to stay away from those girl characters there are so many of them around. I find it funny that we are doing a Horror theme and so many people are doing girl based characters [:p]

Submitted by Jackablade on Sat, 24/07/04 - 11:03 AM Permalink

Ah Unique Snowflake, another old AIE gaming adversary. So Doord was in the next year up was he? I would have been hammering his arse with hand grenades then in Battlefield. Anyone else around here I might recognise? Oh and ET would be Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory.

Haha, damn theres some horrible models on that bio/resume thing. The proportions on that third guy are just embarassing.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 24/07/04 - 11:42 AM Permalink

Sorry to hijack your thread with an irrelevant question, but what kind of electronic music do you compose Jackablade? [:)]

Submitted by Jackablade on Sun, 25/07/04 - 9:52 AM Permalink

Thats ok, you've got a thread there I can always derail too :p

Its been quite a while since I've done any musical composition and I was never that good at it to start off with, but I tend to go for the sort of music they play on the Sound Lab on Triple J. I dunno if theres any really good term for it - wanky pretentious art electronica is probably as good as any.

If you're looking for musicians though, I can hook you up.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, I think I've got an idea. Well small portion of an idea at least. Someone was talking about Steampunk in one of the threads leading me to my usual diatribe about no one doing it properly and whatnot. So I'm thinking perhaps I'll do something along those lines although more clockwork stylee (complete with a big key). I'm still mulling over exactly how I'm going to work this into the Survival Horror theme, but I'm on the way.

Submitted by Jackablade on Tue, 27/07/04 - 1:57 AM Permalink

Ok, I've decided on a character. I've decided against the clockwork character, mostly because I want to do some facial morphing typed stuff which wouldn't be much fun on a metal character.

I've selected your traditional psycho pygmy guy from the deep deep jungle. I'll work out a proper story for him later. Without further ado:
[img]http://www.psilon.net/jackablade/Pygmy.jpg[/img]
and a better version of the face.
[img]http://www.psilon.net/jackablade/Pygmy%20face.jpg[/img]

In addition I've concepted up a few accessories - a cloak made from sewn together scalps and a shaman staff with a severed head and a string of fingers on the top. The drawings are little more than quick scribbles and aren't really worth posting here.

Submitted by conundrum on Wed, 28/07/04 - 7:23 AM Permalink

very nice so far, looks like its a well distributed model. the only thing thats niggling me is the overall shape of the face, i think it could look more effective if you were too enlarge the jaw and neck, it should add to the brutishness of the character. other than that its looking great.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 28/07/04 - 7:56 AM Permalink

looking good so far, great poly distribution (something which im yet to get the hang of)

Submitted by tojo on Wed, 28/07/04 - 7:09 PM Permalink

coming along nicely... for sure!
nice clean mesh....

you have a stack of polys..... make sure you dont fall into the sharp edged corner of the mouth trap...

that is a very expressive part of the face, so be sure to use it to your advantage....

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/mouth_tutorial/mouth.htm

this is a basic tut on mouth structure..... very crude..

loking forward to seeing this evolve

Submitted by Jackablade on Wed, 28/07/04 - 11:00 PM Permalink

The mouth polys are actually all in neat loops, they're just not terribly well laid out at this stage.

As for the neck, I've only just extruded that out. I'll make sure I make it nice and bulky.

Back to work then.

Submitted by goodgod on Thu, 29/07/04 - 10:04 AM Permalink

If you think you have come up with a good idea, when modelling it in 3d you should try to stick to the same characteristics as the concept. I say this because so far what I?ve seen of your model seems to be just a less exaggerated version of you concept. Thus the effect won?t be as strong.

Submitted by Conor O Kane on Thu, 29/07/04 - 9:03 PM Permalink

Nice work Jackablade - I like how you've modelled the wrinkles.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/07/04 - 8:40 AM Permalink

looking good, though the chin protruded more in the concept (or is that the lip, hard to tell)

Submitted by Jackablade on Fri, 30/07/04 - 10:13 AM Permalink

Yeah, I'm working that in at the moment. I tried making his eyes bigger like in the concept, but I think the small piggy eyes work better.

Anyway, I decided while walking my dog this evening to diverge significantly from my original concept towards something far cooler. I like the way that fat rolls are looking, but they're not really apropriate to the pygmy idea which should really be a quick and agile enemy. I've also been thinking about ways I could soak up some polygons given the general lack of major detail in my concept and started thinking about mounts.

What I'm thinking now is I'll create Famine, one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. Again he'l be tricky to work into a survival horror theme, but shouldn't be too ghard with a bit of thought. Basically I'll keep work my current model into a morbidly obese man, keeping the fat rolls going right the way across the body, And sit him on a really thin almost skeletal and diseased looking horse. I'll do another concept up shortly to work out the finer details, but I think this idea has far more potential than the old one. I'll try and work out a proper storyu too.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 31/07/04 - 4:44 AM Permalink

sounds great, hurray for the horsemen! :D (and the fifth who left the group before they became famous )

Submitted by Jackablade on Sat, 31/07/04 - 12:17 PM Permalink

Ah Mr Pratchett, the world would be a far less amusing place if not for him.

Submitted by tojo on Thu, 19/08/04 - 11:15 AM Permalink

good to see some facial detail in a model..... i am a big fan of that.....
...... too many people relying on big shoulders and muscles to depict 'scariness' and horror !! ;) .....

your model has cool shaped eyes...

Posted by Jackablade on

I probably won't have time to finish my character given that I have to start working at a dev studio in a bit over a weeks time, but the copy of Max is to good to pass up.

At this stage I'm more or less just staking my claim, I haven't got anything definite in mind as yet. I think I'll try and do something a bit different to the majority of entries here, leaning away from the undead fleshy lumps to some degree and try something a little more eery, more subtle. I've been thinking along the lines of a Sadako typed character (from Ring) but the creepy little girl thing has probably been done far too many times in the past for my liking. I dunno, perhaps I can work with it. It needs to be eye catching too though.

So yes, that didn't get us very far. I'll keep you posted.

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 23/07/04 - 7:17 PM Permalink

Another girl character, but not undead should be interesting.

I seen you work posted on the AIE site I would like to know were are you starting work??

Submitted by Jackablade on Sat, 24/07/04 - 10:19 AM Permalink

Ah, I thought I recognised the alias... Not sure I can put it to a face or name, but I remember hammering you with rifle grenades in ET a few times.

I have work posted up on the AIE website? I'll have to check that out.

I'll be working at Tantalus in Melbourne.

And yeah, the more I look through the proposed entires, the more creepy little girls I see, so I'll be moving away from that idea. Where to exactly I have no idea - creativity has never been one of my really strong suits unfortunately

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Sat, 24/07/04 - 10:44 AM Permalink

You might of been in the first year if you were at the AIE the same time as Doord. As for ET I can't evern think of what that is. I remember playing BF 1942 a bit against the first years.

Unless someone with the same name as you who went to the AIE then I belive this is your work:

http://www.aie.act.edu.au/graduate/03_graduate.php?ID=33

I think you would of remembered something like this, hence you gave them the render to put up...

Anyways congrags about the Job at Tantalus

and it sounds like a good idea to stay away from those girl characters there are so many of them around. I find it funny that we are doing a Horror theme and so many people are doing girl based characters [:p]

Submitted by Jackablade on Sat, 24/07/04 - 11:03 AM Permalink

Ah Unique Snowflake, another old AIE gaming adversary. So Doord was in the next year up was he? I would have been hammering his arse with hand grenades then in Battlefield. Anyone else around here I might recognise? Oh and ET would be Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory.

Haha, damn theres some horrible models on that bio/resume thing. The proportions on that third guy are just embarassing.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 24/07/04 - 11:42 AM Permalink

Sorry to hijack your thread with an irrelevant question, but what kind of electronic music do you compose Jackablade? [:)]

Submitted by Jackablade on Sun, 25/07/04 - 9:52 AM Permalink

Thats ok, you've got a thread there I can always derail too :p

Its been quite a while since I've done any musical composition and I was never that good at it to start off with, but I tend to go for the sort of music they play on the Sound Lab on Triple J. I dunno if theres any really good term for it - wanky pretentious art electronica is probably as good as any.

If you're looking for musicians though, I can hook you up.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, I think I've got an idea. Well small portion of an idea at least. Someone was talking about Steampunk in one of the threads leading me to my usual diatribe about no one doing it properly and whatnot. So I'm thinking perhaps I'll do something along those lines although more clockwork stylee (complete with a big key). I'm still mulling over exactly how I'm going to work this into the Survival Horror theme, but I'm on the way.

Submitted by Jackablade on Tue, 27/07/04 - 1:57 AM Permalink

Ok, I've decided on a character. I've decided against the clockwork character, mostly because I want to do some facial morphing typed stuff which wouldn't be much fun on a metal character.

I've selected your traditional psycho pygmy guy from the deep deep jungle. I'll work out a proper story for him later. Without further ado:
[img]http://www.psilon.net/jackablade/Pygmy.jpg[/img]
and a better version of the face.
[img]http://www.psilon.net/jackablade/Pygmy%20face.jpg[/img]

In addition I've concepted up a few accessories - a cloak made from sewn together scalps and a shaman staff with a severed head and a string of fingers on the top. The drawings are little more than quick scribbles and aren't really worth posting here.

Submitted by conundrum on Wed, 28/07/04 - 7:23 AM Permalink

very nice so far, looks like its a well distributed model. the only thing thats niggling me is the overall shape of the face, i think it could look more effective if you were too enlarge the jaw and neck, it should add to the brutishness of the character. other than that its looking great.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 28/07/04 - 7:56 AM Permalink

looking good so far, great poly distribution (something which im yet to get the hang of)

Submitted by tojo on Wed, 28/07/04 - 7:09 PM Permalink

coming along nicely... for sure!
nice clean mesh....

you have a stack of polys..... make sure you dont fall into the sharp edged corner of the mouth trap...

that is a very expressive part of the face, so be sure to use it to your advantage....

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/mouth_tutorial/mouth.htm

this is a basic tut on mouth structure..... very crude..

loking forward to seeing this evolve

Submitted by Jackablade on Wed, 28/07/04 - 11:00 PM Permalink

The mouth polys are actually all in neat loops, they're just not terribly well laid out at this stage.

As for the neck, I've only just extruded that out. I'll make sure I make it nice and bulky.

Back to work then.

Submitted by goodgod on Thu, 29/07/04 - 10:04 AM Permalink

If you think you have come up with a good idea, when modelling it in 3d you should try to stick to the same characteristics as the concept. I say this because so far what I?ve seen of your model seems to be just a less exaggerated version of you concept. Thus the effect won?t be as strong.

Submitted by Conor O Kane on Thu, 29/07/04 - 9:03 PM Permalink

Nice work Jackablade - I like how you've modelled the wrinkles.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/07/04 - 8:40 AM Permalink

looking good, though the chin protruded more in the concept (or is that the lip, hard to tell)

Submitted by Jackablade on Fri, 30/07/04 - 10:13 AM Permalink

Yeah, I'm working that in at the moment. I tried making his eyes bigger like in the concept, but I think the small piggy eyes work better.

Anyway, I decided while walking my dog this evening to diverge significantly from my original concept towards something far cooler. I like the way that fat rolls are looking, but they're not really apropriate to the pygmy idea which should really be a quick and agile enemy. I've also been thinking about ways I could soak up some polygons given the general lack of major detail in my concept and started thinking about mounts.

What I'm thinking now is I'll create Famine, one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. Again he'l be tricky to work into a survival horror theme, but shouldn't be too ghard with a bit of thought. Basically I'll keep work my current model into a morbidly obese man, keeping the fat rolls going right the way across the body, And sit him on a really thin almost skeletal and diseased looking horse. I'll do another concept up shortly to work out the finer details, but I think this idea has far more potential than the old one. I'll try and work out a proper storyu too.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 31/07/04 - 4:44 AM Permalink

sounds great, hurray for the horsemen! :D (and the fifth who left the group before they became famous )

Submitted by Jackablade on Sat, 31/07/04 - 12:17 PM Permalink

Ah Mr Pratchett, the world would be a far less amusing place if not for him.

Submitted by tojo on Thu, 19/08/04 - 11:15 AM Permalink

good to see some facial detail in a model..... i am a big fan of that.....
...... too many people relying on big shoulders and muscles to depict 'scariness' and horror !! ;) .....

your model has cool shaped eyes...