Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #3 -3D- 'Pantmonger'

Submitted by Pantmonger on

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/jagged/concept/con10fishsteed.jpg[…]
Concept for beast done, now working on the concept for the rider.
Thought I might take a slightly different approach then I first had in mind.

Pantmonger

Submitted by rezn0r on Fri, 23/05/03 - 6:58 AM Permalink

Awesome concept. Very original, I love it.

Scott.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 23/05/03 - 7:45 AM Permalink

Here fishy fishy.

Very cool, like the whole hangglider premise.
With 3500 polys you can go to town on that. Those fins look like they could use some alpha maps, resistance is futile man.[:P] lol.

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 23/05/03 - 9:17 AM Permalink

Nice concept! The underwater theme should add some good diversity to the contest. Looking forward to it!

Submitted by Dan Ward on Fri, 23/05/03 - 6:29 PM Permalink

Doah crap i was going to do a sharkish beast with a mermanish rider too, oh well fortunately i wasnt very far along with my concept.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 23/05/03 - 6:43 PM Permalink

Thanks guys, sorry about that Dan. I suppose its the same thought process, "an underwater steed, no ne will think of that" cut to 20 underwater entries.

Pantmonger

Submitted by rezn0r on Sat, 24/05/03 - 12:21 AM Permalink

Maybe you could make it a big helium filled fishie that has a teddy bear as a rider holding on to a string underneath. I'm pretty sure no one will have thought of that. [:D]

Scott.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 27/05/03 - 2:48 AM Permalink

Fish Man Basic construct done, Little bits of fooling and cleaning to go on it, but done for the most part. Half polys used at 3498.

Pantmonger

edit, picture replaced down bottom.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 27/05/03 - 3:42 AM Permalink

I knew you'd do this quickly you little minx lol. Its looking pretty sweet man, I like his needle teeth and fish lips.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 27/05/03 - 5:40 PM Permalink

Great concept, cool steed. It's got a real 'underwater/Poseidon' type feel. It's also got a very distinctive and original look and the Romanesque armour really fits (so to speak).

Submitted by Shaetano on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:42 PM Permalink

Man thats so cool, his even got his little penlight going :P

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 27/05/03 - 11:14 PM Permalink

Malus: Thanks, I didn't mean to start this one so early, just I was mucking around in max and the next thing I know there was the head, so I thought I better finish it off.

JonathanKerr: Thanks, When I started tying to concept the rider I tried several creatures in an attempt to come up with something interesting and original that looked mean. My drawing tought me that;

Squid heads just look like starwars aliens crosseed with mind flayers
Shark heads have been done to death and hammer heads suffer the starwars aliens (whats with Lucas and marine headed aliens)
Prawn Heads Look stupid, comic and in no way mean

So I went for the Angler fish, cause man thats one ugly fish.

Shaetano: Thanks, within light but not currenty visable is a smaller shape so the outside can be semi transparent and have a bright thing inside. I hope to works out the way it does in my head.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 29/05/03 - 3:47 AM Permalink

Now on to the texture

Pantmonger

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 02/06/03 - 4:35 AM Permalink

Images Removed changed and now appear later in thread, due to reasons of web space and bandwidth.

Fish Man Done now on to the steed.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 02/06/03 - 8:46 AM Permalink

Ah very cool, now if only I had some chips a slice of lemon and some tartare sauce. mmmmmmm :P

Pretty tight UVW map too buddy.
Maybe you should do the inside leg, arms and palms/bottoms of feet like the under belly of a fish to break up the scales?

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 02/06/03 - 5:59 PM Permalink

Yeah, nice job with the mapping! You've managed to squeeze alot of detail in there. Great character. I'm still struggling with my warrior.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 04/06/03 - 12:39 AM Permalink

Thanks forthe replies guys, I like to try and keep the map pretty tight.

Images Removed changed and now appear later in thread, due to reasons of web space and bandwidth.

Shark Steed basic constuction done, UVW's commence now.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Dan Ward on Wed, 04/06/03 - 2:14 AM Permalink

Looking good Pants!

only problem is by my calculations your 4 polys over the limit :P

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 04/06/03 - 3:38 AM Permalink

Its not safe to go back into the water!!
Nice one Pantaloons.

da-dum....da-dum....dadum-dada dadum-dada dadum-dada ...weee-eee

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 04/06/03 - 7:06 PM Permalink

Dan_Ward: 4 polys over, shit! Im screwed,ok Im out... :P
Thanks, just for the record why do you think Im over in polys? 3444 + 3510 = 6954, 46 under.

Malus: Thank you, how is yours comming along or are you still in normal mapping hell.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 04/06/03 - 9:44 PM Permalink

Haven't started yet, got alot on my plate, I'm looking forward to normal mapping, obviously not for this comp though.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 05/06/03 - 5:12 AM Permalink

Basic texture done.
Now to add bones to these guy's, do a bit of posing of them, touch up the textures to make the final product.

Forwards

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 05/06/03 - 5:18 AM Permalink

Nice job man, you've finished and I haven't even begun lol.

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 05/06/03 - 6:12 AM Permalink

WAAAAAAAAAATT DA ? finished already ????? man ur QUICK !!!! i havent even had the time to upload my concept and blocked out model LOL damn !!!im slack =) heheee

But LOOKIN NICE DUDE !!!

onli crit is would be nice to have some scales on the big fishy =)

GOOD JOB =)

Submitted by Shaetano on Thu, 05/06/03 - 8:19 AM Permalink

Its a shark man, they don't really have scales :).

Done a pretty spiffy job there Pants. I like how you've made it into a hanggliding type thing, couldn't quiet figure it out before heh. Its good that your gonna pose it, the two combined in that form would rock :) wd

Submitted by Dan Ward on Thu, 05/06/03 - 5:48 PM Permalink

Very nice!

- doah seems i cant count :)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 05/06/03 - 8:43 PM Permalink

Malus: Thats because you have I life, All I have is sleep dep.

chris: Thanks, I like to get in and get things done with comps otherwise I put them off, they hang over my head an I keep thinking, I've got to do x comp. As Shaetano said, no scales, shark creature.

Shaetano: Thanks, I dont think everyone got the handgliding thing when it was in concept form one of those things if I was doing it for a living I would have to make clearer I guess, but as it was for me... Glad to see that it is clearer now. I am happy with the way the alpha net worked out.

Dan_Ward: Thanks, funny thing with the poly count thing is at first I also counted wrong and thought you where right, there is something about 3444 that makes you think 6 more and it becomes 3500 not 3450. It is strange.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 05/06/03 - 9:07 PM Permalink

oh kool its a shark hehee =) sorry didnt read up on the earlier post.... =) but damn cant believe how fast u built this one up !!!!!

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 09/06/03 - 8:15 AM Permalink

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 09/06/03 - 9:02 PM Permalink

....Applause....

They've come out excellent Pants, Good work man.

As for me haveing a life!? You know I don't have a life lol.
i just haven't started my comp entry because of tutoring, finishing portfolio and that cgtalk comp model.
Hey i think we are all sleep deprived man, is 3.30 am a good average time to go to bed lol.

I think you'll be stiff competition though Pants (as always), I do promise you I will make a start tonight after animating my cgtalk model ok. [:)]

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/jagged/concept/con10fishsteed.jpg[…]
Concept for beast done, now working on the concept for the rider.
Thought I might take a slightly different approach then I first had in mind.

Pantmonger

Submitted by rezn0r on Fri, 23/05/03 - 6:58 AM Permalink

Awesome concept. Very original, I love it.

Scott.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 23/05/03 - 7:45 AM Permalink

Here fishy fishy.

Very cool, like the whole hangglider premise.
With 3500 polys you can go to town on that. Those fins look like they could use some alpha maps, resistance is futile man.[:P] lol.

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 23/05/03 - 9:17 AM Permalink

Nice concept! The underwater theme should add some good diversity to the contest. Looking forward to it!

Submitted by Dan Ward on Fri, 23/05/03 - 6:29 PM Permalink

Doah crap i was going to do a sharkish beast with a mermanish rider too, oh well fortunately i wasnt very far along with my concept.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 23/05/03 - 6:43 PM Permalink

Thanks guys, sorry about that Dan. I suppose its the same thought process, "an underwater steed, no ne will think of that" cut to 20 underwater entries.

Pantmonger

Submitted by rezn0r on Sat, 24/05/03 - 12:21 AM Permalink

Maybe you could make it a big helium filled fishie that has a teddy bear as a rider holding on to a string underneath. I'm pretty sure no one will have thought of that. [:D]

Scott.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 27/05/03 - 2:48 AM Permalink

Fish Man Basic construct done, Little bits of fooling and cleaning to go on it, but done for the most part. Half polys used at 3498.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 27/05/03 - 3:42 AM Permalink

I knew you'd do this quickly you little minx lol. Its looking pretty sweet man, I like his needle teeth and fish lips.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 27/05/03 - 5:40 PM Permalink

Great concept, cool steed. It's got a real 'underwater/Poseidon' type feel. It's also got a very distinctive and original look and the Romanesque armour really fits (so to speak).

Submitted by Shaetano on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:42 PM Permalink

Man thats so cool, his even got his little penlight going :P

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 27/05/03 - 11:14 PM Permalink

Malus: Thanks, I didn't mean to start this one so early, just I was mucking around in max and the next thing I know there was the head, so I thought I better finish it off.

JonathanKerr: Thanks, When I started tying to concept the rider I tried several creatures in an attempt to come up with something interesting and original that looked mean. My drawing tought me that;

Squid heads just look like starwars aliens crosseed with mind flayers
Shark heads have been done to death and hammer heads suffer the starwars aliens (whats with Lucas and marine headed aliens)
Prawn Heads Look stupid, comic and in no way mean

So I went for the Angler fish, cause man thats one ugly fish.

Shaetano: Thanks, within light but not currenty visable is a smaller shape so the outside can be semi transparent and have a bright thing inside. I hope to works out the way it does in my head.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 29/05/03 - 3:47 AM Permalink

Now on to the texture

Pantmonger

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 02/06/03 - 4:35 AM Permalink

Fish Man Done now on to the steed.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 02/06/03 - 8:46 AM Permalink

Ah very cool, now if only I had some chips a slice of lemon and some tartare sauce. mmmmmmm :P

Pretty tight UVW map too buddy.
Maybe you should do the inside leg, arms and palms/bottoms of feet like the under belly of a fish to break up the scales?

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 02/06/03 - 5:59 PM Permalink

Yeah, nice job with the mapping! You've managed to squeeze alot of detail in there. Great character. I'm still struggling with my warrior.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 04/06/03 - 12:39 AM Permalink

Thanks forthe replies guys, I like to try and keep the map pretty tight.

Shark Steed basic constuction done, UVW's commence now.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Dan Ward on Wed, 04/06/03 - 2:14 AM Permalink

Looking good Pants!

only problem is by my calculations your 4 polys over the limit :P

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 04/06/03 - 3:38 AM Permalink

Its not safe to go back into the water!!
Nice one Pantaloons.

da-dum....da-dum....dadum-dada dadum-dada dadum-dada ...weee-eee

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 04/06/03 - 7:06 PM Permalink

Dan_Ward: 4 polys over, shit! Im screwed,ok Im out... :P
Thanks, just for the record why do you think Im over in polys? 3444 + 3510 = 6954, 46 under.

Malus: Thank you, how is yours comming along or are you still in normal mapping hell.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 04/06/03 - 9:44 PM Permalink

Haven't started yet, got alot on my plate, I'm looking forward to normal mapping, obviously not for this comp though.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 05/06/03 - 5:12 AM Permalink

Basic texture done.
Now to add bones to these guy's, do a bit of posing of them, touch up the textures to make the final product.

Forwards

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 05/06/03 - 5:18 AM Permalink

Nice job man, you've finished and I haven't even begun lol.

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 05/06/03 - 6:12 AM Permalink

WAAAAAAAAAATT DA ? finished already ????? man ur QUICK !!!! i havent even had the time to upload my concept and blocked out model LOL damn !!!im slack =) heheee

But LOOKIN NICE DUDE !!!

onli crit is would be nice to have some scales on the big fishy =)

GOOD JOB =)

Submitted by Shaetano on Thu, 05/06/03 - 8:19 AM Permalink

Its a shark man, they don't really have scales :).

Done a pretty spiffy job there Pants. I like how you've made it into a hanggliding type thing, couldn't quiet figure it out before heh. Its good that your gonna pose it, the two combined in that form would rock :) wd

Submitted by Dan Ward on Thu, 05/06/03 - 5:48 PM Permalink

Very nice!

- doah seems i cant count :)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 05/06/03 - 8:43 PM Permalink

Malus: Thats because you have I life, All I have is sleep dep.

chris: Thanks, I like to get in and get things done with comps otherwise I put them off, they hang over my head an I keep thinking, I've got to do x comp. As Shaetano said, no scales, shark creature.

Shaetano: Thanks, I dont think everyone got the handgliding thing when it was in concept form one of those things if I was doing it for a living I would have to make clearer I guess, but as it was for me... Glad to see that it is clearer now. I am happy with the way the alpha net worked out.

Dan_Ward: Thanks, funny thing with the poly count thing is at first I also counted wrong and thought you where right, there is something about 3444 that makes you think 6 more and it becomes 3500 not 3450. It is strange.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 05/06/03 - 9:07 PM Permalink

oh kool its a shark hehee =) sorry didnt read up on the earlier post.... =) but damn cant believe how fast u built this one up !!!!!

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 09/06/03 - 8:15 AM Permalink

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 09/06/03 - 9:02 PM Permalink

....Applause....

They've come out excellent Pants, Good work man.

As for me haveing a life!? You know I don't have a life lol.
i just haven't started my comp entry because of tutoring, finishing portfolio and that cgtalk comp model.
Hey i think we are all sleep deprived man, is 3.30 am a good average time to go to bed lol.

I think you'll be stiff competition though Pants (as always), I do promise you I will make a start tonight after animating my cgtalk model ok. [:)]