Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #6 -3d- Blackjack

Submitted by BlackJack on

Alrighty!!!! I'm in, and concepts should be up ASAP!!!

Submitted by BlackJack on Sun, 01/08/04 - 10:53 AM Permalink

Sorry it has been a while. I figure I need a concept story, but for now I'm going with the generic evil / misguided organisation that has geneticaly created monstrosities and unwitingly set them upon a small out of the way town.

For my Beast i want to steer away from the generic Blood and Guts zombie kind of monsters and go the more freaky alien thing. I have a few sketches done, but still finalising the total design, having trouble with the body but the head ROCKS.

I will have these up in my next post, which should be tommorow.

At this stage I have 80% finished the head modeling, and I am really happy with it, but need to hear ur critiques. so here is a screenie of what I have done.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/blackjack/200473111436_beasthead…"]beasthead1.jpg[/url]
75.09?KB

Submitted by conundrum on Sun, 01/08/04 - 11:13 AM Permalink

looking good, but what id say it needs is a bit of variation in its shape its very straight right now which makes it less believable. you shoud try to add some thicker and or thinner areas to give it more definition, this is mainly coming from the top view as the others are pretty good .other than that maybe try adding some gums as i find the teeth very nice but they look odd without gums around them. keep it up though as its turning out nicely, looking forward to the body.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 01/08/04 - 12:07 PM Permalink

yeah that guy really needs some lips and gums, it looks weird. Otherwise neatness :D

Submitted by BlackJack on Thu, 05/08/04 - 12:17 AM Permalink

This is a simple concept for the beast, I am thinking alien / raptor / runner kind of body, but I do have a concept with wings, making it more of a gargoyle. not sure which I will use yet, but it will probobly depend on the polies I have left after the models body is constructed.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/blackjack/20048401737_runner.jpg"]runner.jpg[/url]
70.41 KB

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 05/08/04 - 6:47 AM Permalink

has a sort of insect look to it, dunno if thats what yo wanted, also it looks like itd be a bit imbalanced with those claws! :o

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 05/08/04 - 7:11 AM Permalink

Cool, someone else is doing a gargoyle type of thing! I like it. I think massive dragon like wings might look cool on it ? plus they would be fun to model! (Though my gargoyle type thing has wings... so maybe not [:P]).

What kind of skin has it got? I get the impression it?s something hard and armoured, like a shell, or dragon scales kind of thing. I think that tough armoured hide would work for it better then soft fleshy skin. And I agree with MoonUnit also, I think you need to work on those claw things ? the fore claws seem too big and unwieldy.

Looking good. [:)]

Submitted by BlackJack on Fri, 13/08/04 - 4:16 AM Permalink

Alrighty, had some time to make a little progress on this beast. he still needs alot of work, but the basic body shape is right, and this is the main portion of the model done. I am still deciding on wether or not to put bone plates or metal plates on him as an armoured carapace. just not sure. He also will most likely have wings, but they are still in development, will depend on style.

I have had so many ideas for other monsters from playing with this one that it keeps sidetracking me, but I am trying to stay true to concept.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/blackjack/200481241642_progress…"]progress.jpg[/url]
57 KB

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 13/08/04 - 4:33 AM Permalink

cool, hes looking more dinasour like now then insect like, ive gotta say though his arms look very posed, i mean i know that people dont have their arms out at 90 degree angles either but they look very odd the way they are, where of the rest of him looks relaxed and natural. If you dont do a money shot then that may be a problem.

Submitted by BlackJack on Fri, 13/08/04 - 9:09 AM Permalink

yeah, I put them there when I joined em on. cos I built a seperate peice, going to rotate them out after I finish up the hand area and redefine the shoulders a bit. but I agree, it does look odd.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 14/08/04 - 5:13 AM Permalink

ah cool something else is are you planning to add a lot more detail, because whats your poly count like there? (im not sure there was discussion about wether or not you have to reach the limit in the main thread, might wanna check with souri).

Submitted by BlackJack on Wed, 18/08/04 - 4:48 AM Permalink

my poly count is way low at moment, and I'm plannin to add more detail, when I gety a chance to work on this again, been flat out with work and school.

Submitted by BlackJack on Tue, 24/08/04 - 9:22 PM Permalink

I feel really bad saying this, but due to school and work, I think I will not get this %100 completed. I will try however to still submit it.

Submitted by BlackJack on Tue, 24/08/04 - 9:29 PM Permalink

this is the latest screenie of my dude. basically i have started refining the body, and have completed the basics of the mouth-hand sections. The next step will be to create armoured carapace sections to his body, and texture. also i will try to refine the body a bit more, and possibly the teeth.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/blackjack/200482321270_base.jpg"]base.jpg[/url]
66.78 KBhis

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 26/08/04 - 8:43 AM Permalink

It?s a shame you don?t think you?ll complete it, your doing really well. I really like the way your model is coming along. The only crit I have to offer is that the hands look a little weird being so mouth-like. Personally I think big crab-like claws might suit it better? Or perhaps just make the ?teeth? wider/fewer? I?m not sure, but I think the hands need more thought. One possible idea for the hands is to give them eyes or something to make them look more like little heads?

And I think large spiky dragon wings would definitely suit it ? though its centre of mass would then need to be lower to the ground.

Another thought is that with the end of the tail, maybe the outside edge could have some spikes?

Great work ? try to finish it! A bump mapped dragon scaled skin texture would look awesome!!

Submitted by BlackJack on Fri, 27/08/04 - 4:29 AM Permalink

Ok, I have made the hands into more like spiked mace mouths, and tried to clean up the mesh a bit. The poly count is at 7342 tris, so I still have a fair bit to work with.

I have decided against wings, as I see this beast as more of a runner. Most of the body features i have decided on for a purpose, based on attacks that he would have in game, I will complete a render or something labeling all this at a later date.

I have an idea on what he will look like textured, my only problem will be the unwrap. Any helpful hints on this would be appreciated, as I am an uber noob at it.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/blackjack/200482642451_runner2.j…"]runner2.jpg[/url]
80.93 KB

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 27/08/04 - 5:45 AM Permalink

looking good, personally id take out the teeth from the tail spike and widen the space between the tips of the blade tip things.

Submitted by BlackJack on Sun, 12/09/04 - 4:03 AM Permalink

Unfortunatly i have to pull out, i won't get this finished in time as i have a major school assignment and work.

Sooo pissed off, but I will try and finish it in the future and post it in my gallery section, along with my characters for my assignment.

Good luck to everyone else, the work i have seen so far is exceptional, can't wait to see a winner.

Posted by BlackJack on

Alrighty!!!! I'm in, and concepts should be up ASAP!!!

Submitted by BlackJack on Sun, 01/08/04 - 10:53 AM Permalink

Sorry it has been a while. I figure I need a concept story, but for now I'm going with the generic evil / misguided organisation that has geneticaly created monstrosities and unwitingly set them upon a small out of the way town.

For my Beast i want to steer away from the generic Blood and Guts zombie kind of monsters and go the more freaky alien thing. I have a few sketches done, but still finalising the total design, having trouble with the body but the head ROCKS.

I will have these up in my next post, which should be tommorow.

At this stage I have 80% finished the head modeling, and I am really happy with it, but need to hear ur critiques. so here is a screenie of what I have done.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/blackjack/200473111436_beasthead…"]beasthead1.jpg[/url]
75.09?KB

Submitted by conundrum on Sun, 01/08/04 - 11:13 AM Permalink

looking good, but what id say it needs is a bit of variation in its shape its very straight right now which makes it less believable. you shoud try to add some thicker and or thinner areas to give it more definition, this is mainly coming from the top view as the others are pretty good .other than that maybe try adding some gums as i find the teeth very nice but they look odd without gums around them. keep it up though as its turning out nicely, looking forward to the body.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 01/08/04 - 12:07 PM Permalink

yeah that guy really needs some lips and gums, it looks weird. Otherwise neatness :D

Submitted by BlackJack on Thu, 05/08/04 - 12:17 AM Permalink

This is a simple concept for the beast, I am thinking alien / raptor / runner kind of body, but I do have a concept with wings, making it more of a gargoyle. not sure which I will use yet, but it will probobly depend on the polies I have left after the models body is constructed.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/blackjack/20048401737_runner.jpg"]runner.jpg[/url]
70.41 KB

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 05/08/04 - 6:47 AM Permalink

has a sort of insect look to it, dunno if thats what yo wanted, also it looks like itd be a bit imbalanced with those claws! :o

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 05/08/04 - 7:11 AM Permalink

Cool, someone else is doing a gargoyle type of thing! I like it. I think massive dragon like wings might look cool on it ? plus they would be fun to model! (Though my gargoyle type thing has wings... so maybe not [:P]).

What kind of skin has it got? I get the impression it?s something hard and armoured, like a shell, or dragon scales kind of thing. I think that tough armoured hide would work for it better then soft fleshy skin. And I agree with MoonUnit also, I think you need to work on those claw things ? the fore claws seem too big and unwieldy.

Looking good. [:)]

Submitted by BlackJack on Fri, 13/08/04 - 4:16 AM Permalink

Alrighty, had some time to make a little progress on this beast. he still needs alot of work, but the basic body shape is right, and this is the main portion of the model done. I am still deciding on wether or not to put bone plates or metal plates on him as an armoured carapace. just not sure. He also will most likely have wings, but they are still in development, will depend on style.

I have had so many ideas for other monsters from playing with this one that it keeps sidetracking me, but I am trying to stay true to concept.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/blackjack/200481241642_progress…"]progress.jpg[/url]
57 KB

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 13/08/04 - 4:33 AM Permalink

cool, hes looking more dinasour like now then insect like, ive gotta say though his arms look very posed, i mean i know that people dont have their arms out at 90 degree angles either but they look very odd the way they are, where of the rest of him looks relaxed and natural. If you dont do a money shot then that may be a problem.

Submitted by BlackJack on Fri, 13/08/04 - 9:09 AM Permalink

yeah, I put them there when I joined em on. cos I built a seperate peice, going to rotate them out after I finish up the hand area and redefine the shoulders a bit. but I agree, it does look odd.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 14/08/04 - 5:13 AM Permalink

ah cool something else is are you planning to add a lot more detail, because whats your poly count like there? (im not sure there was discussion about wether or not you have to reach the limit in the main thread, might wanna check with souri).

Submitted by BlackJack on Wed, 18/08/04 - 4:48 AM Permalink

my poly count is way low at moment, and I'm plannin to add more detail, when I gety a chance to work on this again, been flat out with work and school.

Submitted by BlackJack on Tue, 24/08/04 - 9:22 PM Permalink

I feel really bad saying this, but due to school and work, I think I will not get this %100 completed. I will try however to still submit it.

Submitted by BlackJack on Tue, 24/08/04 - 9:29 PM Permalink

this is the latest screenie of my dude. basically i have started refining the body, and have completed the basics of the mouth-hand sections. The next step will be to create armoured carapace sections to his body, and texture. also i will try to refine the body a bit more, and possibly the teeth.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/blackjack/200482321270_base.jpg"]base.jpg[/url]
66.78 KBhis

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 26/08/04 - 8:43 AM Permalink

It?s a shame you don?t think you?ll complete it, your doing really well. I really like the way your model is coming along. The only crit I have to offer is that the hands look a little weird being so mouth-like. Personally I think big crab-like claws might suit it better? Or perhaps just make the ?teeth? wider/fewer? I?m not sure, but I think the hands need more thought. One possible idea for the hands is to give them eyes or something to make them look more like little heads?

And I think large spiky dragon wings would definitely suit it ? though its centre of mass would then need to be lower to the ground.

Another thought is that with the end of the tail, maybe the outside edge could have some spikes?

Great work ? try to finish it! A bump mapped dragon scaled skin texture would look awesome!!

Submitted by BlackJack on Fri, 27/08/04 - 4:29 AM Permalink

Ok, I have made the hands into more like spiked mace mouths, and tried to clean up the mesh a bit. The poly count is at 7342 tris, so I still have a fair bit to work with.

I have decided against wings, as I see this beast as more of a runner. Most of the body features i have decided on for a purpose, based on attacks that he would have in game, I will complete a render or something labeling all this at a later date.

I have an idea on what he will look like textured, my only problem will be the unwrap. Any helpful hints on this would be appreciated, as I am an uber noob at it.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/blackjack/200482642451_runner2.j…"]runner2.jpg[/url]
80.93 KB

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 27/08/04 - 5:45 AM Permalink

looking good, personally id take out the teeth from the tail spike and widen the space between the tips of the blade tip things.

Submitted by BlackJack on Sun, 12/09/04 - 4:03 AM Permalink

Unfortunatly i have to pull out, i won't get this finished in time as i have a major school assignment and work.

Sooo pissed off, but I will try and finish it in the future and post it in my gallery section, along with my characters for my assignment.

Good luck to everyone else, the work i have seen so far is exceptional, can't wait to see a winner.