Skip to main content

Gamespot Oblivion stream

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Chuck this url in your Windows Media Player. Gamespot editor has been playing for 5 hours already in a live marathon of Oblivion.

mms://a812.l1165445721.c11654.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/812/11654/v0001/reflector:45721

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 22/03/06 - 5:38 AM Permalink

thats a cool idea to set that up, unfortunatly for me (on telstra broadband) the image was quite jerky and it did pause occasionaly to buffer again. So without a reliable constant stream it loses some of its impact. Oh and yeah oblivion looks neat :P

Submitted by skunx on Wed, 22/03/06 - 9:07 AM Permalink

LMAO!! Its cool and all but it was funny to see the game freeze up when loading between areas and the reviewer going "Errr...oops, time to reset", I guess u'd expect these kinds of issues in such a massive game. Oh and there seems to be a huge amount of loading which could be annoying for many. Luckily i'm well trained in being patient from many years of playing LucasArts adventure games.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 22/03/06 - 11:29 AM Permalink

Argh!!! I open it up and the first thing I see....INSIDE the Oblivion gate!! Damn them all to heck!!

Can't wait for my copy! [:P]

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 22/03/06 - 9:15 PM Permalink

i heard that they were going to do thisthe day before the game came out (in thestates) but Bethesda asked them to delay it until afterwards, which they did. makes sence, seeing as though they have gone to great lengths not to reveal to much about the game prior to it's release.

Also, i've avoided watching this, i've got my copy ordered and i dont want anything spoilt!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 23/03/06 - 5:11 AM Permalink

cool moment: (spoiler free, just an action antecdote), when the guys got crushed by the rocks and kasavins (the reviewer) face pops up in the corner "did you guys see that!" :P

Submitted by Mdobele on Fri, 24/03/06 - 5:07 AM Permalink

I liked the part where Livewire.... My flatmate, finally brings it home. installs it onto his brand new mega expensive PC that he bought SPECIFICALLY for Oblivion. Then proceeds to swear and cry when the game keeps crashing within 5 mins for unkown reasons. Apparently lots of people are having some pretty major issues with it. Windows 64bit related probably....

mmmmmmmmmm LiveWire's salty tears make me stronger!

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 24/03/06 - 6:35 AM Permalink

go back to your WoW priest boy! And when are you going to start cooking dinner?

Submitted by souri on Fri, 24/03/06 - 11:34 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by MoonUnit

thats a cool idea to set that up, unfortunatly for me (on telstra broadband) the image was quite jerky and it did pause occasionaly to buffer again. So without a reliable constant stream it loses some of its impact. Oh and yeah oblivion looks neat :P

Yeh, it was pretty choppy for everyone. Definately a cool idea, although it was a major spoiler. I'm not into rpg's that much and I don't plan on getting Oblivian, so it was a great opportunity to at least experience some of what it was all about. Props to the editor who did the 12 hour marathon. I don't know if I could ever play a game for that long and provide commentary as well. [|)]

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 24/03/06 - 11:13 PM Permalink

Whoo! It's working! And just to clarify: My new PC was not mega expensive, nor was i bought specifically for Oblivion, though I admit to buying it a little sooner, and spending a little extra on it, in time for oblivion, but i needed a new PC anyway, i'm not crazy enough to spend $2500 on a single game.

A note to everyone looking to get the game: if after the install seems to end, but a black install window fails to close itself - dont close it yourself, this is what i did after waiting several minutes and thinking nothing was happening, turns out it's doing something with DirectX and that's what was causing my crash. You just have to let it sit there for 5 to 10 minutes and wait for it to close itself, even though by all accounts nothing looks to be happening (even in the task manager).

Posted by souri on
Forum

Chuck this url in your Windows Media Player. Gamespot editor has been playing for 5 hours already in a live marathon of Oblivion.

mms://a812.l1165445721.c11654.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/812/11654/v0001/reflector:45721

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 22/03/06 - 5:38 AM Permalink

Submitted by skunx on Wed, 22/03/06 - 9:07 AM Permalink

LMAO!! Its cool and all but it was funny to see the game freeze up when loading between areas and the reviewer going "Errr...oops, time to reset", I guess u'd expect these kinds of issues in such a massive game. Oh and there seems to be a huge amount of loading which could be annoying for many. Luckily i'm well trained in being patient from many years of playing LucasArts adventure games.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 22/03/06 - 11:29 AM Permalink

Argh!!! I open it up and the first thing I see....INSIDE the Oblivion gate!! Damn them all to heck!!

Can't wait for my copy! [:P]

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 22/03/06 - 9:15 PM Permalink

i heard that they were going to do thisthe day before the game came out (in thestates) but Bethesda asked them to delay it until afterwards, which they did. makes sence, seeing as though they have gone to great lengths not to reveal to much about the game prior to it's release.

Also, i've avoided watching this, i've got my copy ordered and i dont want anything spoilt!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 23/03/06 - 5:11 AM Permalink

cool moment: (spoiler free, just an action antecdote), when the guys got crushed by the rocks and kasavins (the reviewer) face pops up in the corner "did you guys see that!" :P

Submitted by Mdobele on Fri, 24/03/06 - 5:07 AM Permalink

I liked the part where Livewire.... My flatmate, finally brings it home. installs it onto his brand new mega expensive PC that he bought SPECIFICALLY for Oblivion. Then proceeds to swear and cry when the game keeps crashing within 5 mins for unkown reasons. Apparently lots of people are having some pretty major issues with it. Windows 64bit related probably....

mmmmmmmmmm LiveWire's salty tears make me stronger!

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 24/03/06 - 6:35 AM Permalink

go back to your WoW priest boy! And when are you going to start cooking dinner?

Submitted by souri on Fri, 24/03/06 - 11:34 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by MoonUnit

Yeh, it was pretty choppy for everyone. Definately a cool idea, although it was a major spoiler. I'm not into rpg's that much and I don't plan on getting Oblivian, so it was a great opportunity to at least experience some of what it was all about. Props to the editor who did the 12 hour marathon. I don't know if I could ever play a game for that long and provide commentary as well. [|)]

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 24/03/06 - 11:13 PM Permalink

Whoo! It's working! And just to clarify: My new PC was not mega expensive, nor was i bought specifically for Oblivion, though I admit to buying it a little sooner, and spending a little extra on it, in time for oblivion, but i needed a new PC anyway, i'm not crazy enough to spend $2500 on a single game.

A note to everyone looking to get the game: if after the install seems to end, but a black install window fails to close itself - dont close it yourself, this is what i did after waiting several minutes and thinking nothing was happening, turns out it's doing something with DirectX and that's what was causing my crash. You just have to let it sit there for 5 to 10 minutes and wait for it to close itself, even though by all accounts nothing looks to be happening (even in the task manager).