Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #2 - 3D - Pantmonger

Submitted by Pantmonger on

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/Jagged/Sk20_TechConcept.jpg[/img]

Yay some free time to get started on this thing.
Have a concept.
Small things and any problems pointed out may be changed.
I will be doing to orthograpics prob tomorrow.

Pantmonger

Whoops, forgot to mention that the girl inside is a cyborg, only her brain is still tissue. Hence lack of armour in certain bits not a prob as she is armour all over.

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 22/03/03 - 4:06 AM Permalink

i was wondering when your were going to start :)

nice concept and marker rendering.
just curious about that large pole coming out of her head.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 22/03/03 - 4:11 AM Permalink

Gun Barrel behind her head, will be clear in the side view, in the ortho. Its only fired when she is in the air. (those are retracted wings behind her)

Pantmonger

Submitted by Dan Ward on Sat, 22/03/03 - 8:49 AM Permalink

Very nice concept Pants, hope you can do it justice with the poly count.

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 22/03/03 - 9:15 AM Permalink

Awwww Yeeeah buddy!! Shes so sassy, love the claw hand and the backpack man.

And so its begins..... boo ha ha

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 22/03/03 - 10:47 AM Permalink

very nice concept! only thing I'm not a fan of are those feet.. Don't look very comfortable

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 22/03/03 - 8:34 PM Permalink

Dan Ward: Thanks, I hope so to, but that has always been part of the fun for me is seeing if I make something fil a polybudget no matter how complex it is.

Malus: Thanks, round one fight (Malus and I enjoy the fight within a fight)

Sorceror Bob: Thanks, The feet are a bit out compared to the rest of the model design. I put them in like that because I wanted some part of it to be ugly but functional because the rest of the concept is so much 'style over substance' work. As for the comfort, she feels no pain.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 24/03/03 - 6:14 AM Permalink

Looking good man. Should have enough poly's too, shes has no facial features that tend to use alot.
You doing the gun?

Submitted by adie on Mon, 24/03/03 - 9:58 AM Permalink

nice design work man!! i like the helm looks like a duck head

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 25/03/03 - 8:42 PM Permalink

The little bit of wire from her ear to her mouth uses more polys then I'd like, I have to see if I can keep it in or no. But other then that the head uses the type of poly count I would have used for a 1000 poly model leaving me with a good 500 extra to throw around.

It doesn't look like a duck when its modeled. (or maybe it does, I just don't know)

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 26/03/03 - 9:43 AM Permalink

Yeah! nice one man, I knew after seeing you the other day you'd fly thru the model :P

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 28/03/03 - 7:58 AM Permalink

Nice job buddy, one thing, is she meant to have a hard line where the armour meets the top of here thigh? Doesn't look like there is one.

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 28/03/03 - 1:28 PM Permalink

strong job pants, lets see ya texture painting skills :)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 28/03/03 - 7:00 PM Permalink

Malus:

quote:is she meant to have a hard line where the armour meets the top of here thigh?

It is there, just for some reason doesn't appear visable in this shot. Weird.

inglis, thanks this one was a son of a b.... to map, so many little bits and pieces, took a while, and due to the different arm structure from the elbow down there is less texture mirroring then I'm use to. But should turn out ok.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 02/04/03 - 6:24 AM Permalink

Done, thank the gods, Im in the middle of packing so finding time to do this was painful, but here is the stuff.

Final Construction
[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/MTemp/sumea_Comp2_FinPoly.jpg[/img]
Texture Map (at 512)
Edit. See below this post
Finished Model
[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/MTemp/sumea_Comp2_Texture.jpg[/img]

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/MTemp/Sumea2_Rotation.gif[/img]

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 02/04/03 - 7:17 AM Permalink

Woohoo nice job Pants!!
Love the cloth and the armour.

Submitted by rezn0r on Wed, 02/04/03 - 7:23 AM Permalink

Excellent work as always Pants, tho that body armour doesn't look too protective. ;D

Scott.

Submitted by redwyre on Wed, 02/04/03 - 1:54 PM Permalink

It's the bra for the new-age-military-woman: less stiching for less iritation, and more kevlar for added protection.

(I have no idea what I'm talking about.)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 02/04/03 - 5:07 PM Permalink

Thanks guys, As for the breasts, the front armour plate had to be removed to allow this individual to have this armour on. But she is a cyborg and the breasts are visual only. (steel being on the other side of them)

Pantmonger

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 03/04/03 - 8:21 PM Permalink

Time is almost up, but there are only like two other completed entries so far. Come on midnight rush, I want some more competition.
Oh and some more feedback would be nice too [:I]

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 03/04/03 - 9:02 PM Permalink

Yeah Yeah I know lol, Just got engrossed in Mayas animation and fluid stuff, I'll texture it tonight ok. [:P]

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 04/04/03 - 3:08 AM Permalink

quote:Time is almost up, but there are only like two other completed entries so far

yeah..i was just going through the other threads and notice a lot havent been updated, a lot still at concept stage.

quote:Oh and some more feedback would be nice too

youve done very well again :)
i would like to see some more details on the main forms, maybe more decals, identity/class symbols etc?
and i think the orange visor could be improved somewhat-
i like your colour choices

lets hope the competition gets to the bus on time :)

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 04/04/03 - 3:15 AM Permalink

Im coming wait for meeeeeee.........

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 04/04/03 - 4:59 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

Quick Dude, quick!

Pantmonger

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 05/04/03 - 3:59 AM Permalink

Good thing I came to the site tonight, now that there is a special layout needed and all[:p]

Well here is the layout as requested, Not fond of this style, no real detail can be seen, but its not my comp, so it aint my rules and I'll live so...
Also the 512 of the textue map again so they are both in one place.

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/MTemp/sumeaspeciallayout.jpg[/img]
[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/MTemp/sumea_Comp2_Texture-Map.jpg[…]

Lets go.
Pantmonger

Submitted by souri on Sat, 05/04/03 - 4:48 AM Permalink

Those layouts were requested since day one of the challenge, so it's not as if I asked for it just a minute ago.. And I agree, you don't get to see as much detail, but feel free to post closer shots as well! I'd love to see them [:)] Very cool work

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 05/04/03 - 5:07 AM Permalink

Sorry, I just never read that before today, I must of missed it.
Again sorry.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Dan Ward on Sun, 06/04/03 - 6:11 PM Permalink

Thought id give some feedback here rather than the voting thread, I'm going to try and give feedback on everyone's models from now on. Afterall that's why we are here, glory posts are nice but we only improve with good C&C.

Technically overall I think your model is probably the best executed out of all the entries, when I saw your concept pic I went *Gulp* that looks like a "professional" job.

The idea is original and answers the challenge brief perfectly (being a graphic designer by trade im pretty anal when it comes to sticking to briefs)

Your mesh and uvmap are outstanding as always, you have got the UVmapping thing down (I think you need to write a tutorial on how you uvmap your chars so I can get as good as you :)

The mesh is very neat and the polys well used, with my limited experience on what constitutes a "good" mesh there's nothing I can pick on it.

Creatively/personally I don't like the snout thing on the helmet and I think the end of the arms (hand and claw bits) should be bigger/bulkier like in the concept, give her more attitude.

I think where this model fell over is the texture, again technically it looks great, everything is well done and realistic. The problem is it doesn't suit the model, she's a flyer yet she's in drab green paint, the concept has heaps of contrast and it works REALLY well, this model needs a serious manga paint job.

Do yourself a favour pants and redo the texture then you can have my vote for the number 1 spot.

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/Jagged/Sk20_TechConcept.jpg[/img]

Yay some free time to get started on this thing.
Have a concept.
Small things and any problems pointed out may be changed.
I will be doing to orthograpics prob tomorrow.

Pantmonger

Whoops, forgot to mention that the girl inside is a cyborg, only her brain is still tissue. Hence lack of armour in certain bits not a prob as she is armour all over.

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 22/03/03 - 4:06 AM Permalink

i was wondering when your were going to start :)

nice concept and marker rendering.
just curious about that large pole coming out of her head.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 22/03/03 - 4:11 AM Permalink

Gun Barrel behind her head, will be clear in the side view, in the ortho. Its only fired when she is in the air. (those are retracted wings behind her)

Pantmonger

Submitted by Dan Ward on Sat, 22/03/03 - 8:49 AM Permalink

Very nice concept Pants, hope you can do it justice with the poly count.

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 22/03/03 - 9:15 AM Permalink

Awwww Yeeeah buddy!! Shes so sassy, love the claw hand and the backpack man.

And so its begins..... boo ha ha

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 22/03/03 - 10:47 AM Permalink

very nice concept! only thing I'm not a fan of are those feet.. Don't look very comfortable

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 22/03/03 - 8:34 PM Permalink

Dan Ward: Thanks, I hope so to, but that has always been part of the fun for me is seeing if I make something fil a polybudget no matter how complex it is.

Malus: Thanks, round one fight (Malus and I enjoy the fight within a fight)

Sorceror Bob: Thanks, The feet are a bit out compared to the rest of the model design. I put them in like that because I wanted some part of it to be ugly but functional because the rest of the concept is so much 'style over substance' work. As for the comfort, she feels no pain.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 24/03/03 - 6:14 AM Permalink

Looking good man. Should have enough poly's too, shes has no facial features that tend to use alot.
You doing the gun?

Submitted by adie on Mon, 24/03/03 - 9:58 AM Permalink

nice design work man!! i like the helm looks like a duck head

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 25/03/03 - 8:42 PM Permalink

The little bit of wire from her ear to her mouth uses more polys then I'd like, I have to see if I can keep it in or no. But other then that the head uses the type of poly count I would have used for a 1000 poly model leaving me with a good 500 extra to throw around.

It doesn't look like a duck when its modeled. (or maybe it does, I just don't know)

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 26/03/03 - 9:43 AM Permalink

Yeah! nice one man, I knew after seeing you the other day you'd fly thru the model :P

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 28/03/03 - 7:58 AM Permalink

Nice job buddy, one thing, is she meant to have a hard line where the armour meets the top of here thigh? Doesn't look like there is one.

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 28/03/03 - 1:28 PM Permalink

strong job pants, lets see ya texture painting skills :)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 28/03/03 - 7:00 PM Permalink

Malus:

quote:is she meant to have a hard line where the armour meets the top of here thigh?

It is there, just for some reason doesn't appear visable in this shot. Weird.

inglis, thanks this one was a son of a b.... to map, so many little bits and pieces, took a while, and due to the different arm structure from the elbow down there is less texture mirroring then I'm use to. But should turn out ok.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 02/04/03 - 6:24 AM Permalink

Done, thank the gods, Im in the middle of packing so finding time to do this was painful, but here is the stuff.

Final Construction
[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/MTemp/sumea_Comp2_FinPoly.jpg[/img]
Texture Map (at 512)
Edit. See below this post
Finished Model
[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/MTemp/sumea_Comp2_Texture.jpg[/img]

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/MTemp/Sumea2_Rotation.gif[/img]

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 02/04/03 - 7:17 AM Permalink

Woohoo nice job Pants!!
Love the cloth and the armour.

Submitted by rezn0r on Wed, 02/04/03 - 7:23 AM Permalink

Excellent work as always Pants, tho that body armour doesn't look too protective. ;D

Scott.

Submitted by redwyre on Wed, 02/04/03 - 1:54 PM Permalink

It's the bra for the new-age-military-woman: less stiching for less iritation, and more kevlar for added protection.

(I have no idea what I'm talking about.)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 02/04/03 - 5:07 PM Permalink

Thanks guys, As for the breasts, the front armour plate had to be removed to allow this individual to have this armour on. But she is a cyborg and the breasts are visual only. (steel being on the other side of them)

Pantmonger

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 03/04/03 - 8:21 PM Permalink

Time is almost up, but there are only like two other completed entries so far. Come on midnight rush, I want some more competition.
Oh and some more feedback would be nice too [:I]

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 03/04/03 - 9:02 PM Permalink

Yeah Yeah I know lol, Just got engrossed in Mayas animation and fluid stuff, I'll texture it tonight ok. [:P]

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 04/04/03 - 3:08 AM Permalink

quote:Time is almost up, but there are only like two other completed entries so far

yeah..i was just going through the other threads and notice a lot havent been updated, a lot still at concept stage.

quote:Oh and some more feedback would be nice too

youve done very well again :)
i would like to see some more details on the main forms, maybe more decals, identity/class symbols etc?
and i think the orange visor could be improved somewhat-
i like your colour choices

lets hope the competition gets to the bus on time :)

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 04/04/03 - 3:15 AM Permalink

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 04/04/03 - 4:59 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

Quick Dude, quick!

Pantmonger

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 05/04/03 - 3:59 AM Permalink

Good thing I came to the site tonight, now that there is a special layout needed and all[:p]

Well here is the layout as requested, Not fond of this style, no real detail can be seen, but its not my comp, so it aint my rules and I'll live so...
Also the 512 of the textue map again so they are both in one place.

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/MTemp/sumeaspeciallayout.jpg[/img]
[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/MTemp/sumea_Comp2_Texture-Map.jpg[…]

Lets go.
Pantmonger

Submitted by souri on Sat, 05/04/03 - 4:48 AM Permalink

Those layouts were requested since day one of the challenge, so it's not as if I asked for it just a minute ago.. And I agree, you don't get to see as much detail, but feel free to post closer shots as well! I'd love to see them [:)] Very cool work

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 05/04/03 - 5:07 AM Permalink

Sorry, I just never read that before today, I must of missed it.
Again sorry.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Dan Ward on Sun, 06/04/03 - 6:11 PM Permalink

Thought id give some feedback here rather than the voting thread, I'm going to try and give feedback on everyone's models from now on. Afterall that's why we are here, glory posts are nice but we only improve with good C&C.

Technically overall I think your model is probably the best executed out of all the entries, when I saw your concept pic I went *Gulp* that looks like a "professional" job.

The idea is original and answers the challenge brief perfectly (being a graphic designer by trade im pretty anal when it comes to sticking to briefs)

Your mesh and uvmap are outstanding as always, you have got the UVmapping thing down (I think you need to write a tutorial on how you uvmap your chars so I can get as good as you :)

The mesh is very neat and the polys well used, with my limited experience on what constitutes a "good" mesh there's nothing I can pick on it.

Creatively/personally I don't like the snout thing on the helmet and I think the end of the arms (hand and claw bits) should be bigger/bulkier like in the concept, give her more attitude.

I think where this model fell over is the texture, again technically it looks great, everything is well done and realistic. The problem is it doesn't suit the model, she's a flyer yet she's in drab green paint, the concept has heaps of contrast and it works REALLY well, this model needs a serious manga paint job.

Do yourself a favour pants and redo the texture then you can have my vote for the number 1 spot.