Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #6 -3D- Tojo - Challenger #20

• ok .. i think i have an idea.

my guy's name is going to be presto.. he will be a vaudeville magician / prestidigitator and illusionist.

his calling card will be a magic trick, a tarot card or rabbit or something.

and i will…

Submitted by tojo on

right here goes........ this is my idea

set in the future... lets say 20 years from now........ food companys have started growing animal parts and meat on

large membrane walls in factories.....

gentically modified, this food source can grow without an animal being created or killed... just grows on racks of

membranous tissue.. very clinical and sterile.....
except ........ one day..... evil american greedy company....or cia ... or something like that... gets there hands on

the technology and grows human parts...

using a special extra strong blue 'life formula' these experiments went terribly wrong... and before they knew it ....

there were genetic atrocities floating out of every sewer and alley feeding on anything livng they could find to

satiate thier extra high need for protien... oh ... and brains of course...

alot of people died ..... and it is the hero's job to clean up this mess and find out how far the geno-mutant-zombie

problem has extended...

this particularly ugly marylin manson/ exorcist/blue-bottle- zombie dude is a rather stationary but still a

particularly nasty breed of mutant...... thinking about calling it a 'camper'...

..cause it sits in the one spot where the killing is good ( just like me in fps's ) and attacks with it's unholy

limbs..

makes alot of whaling noise (because his life is really painfull and sucky and he is always hungry) and has a

blue-bottle like sack of that blue gooey stuff i was talking about... (especially put in for extra cool blow-up

animations :) )

so what do you think?....

any ideas on a better name?

allready started modelling it... and will gets some images up soon......

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/tojo/200472011402_monster.jpg [/img]
[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/tojo/200472011402_monster.jpg"]monster.jpg[/url]
86.84 KB

Submitted by conundrum on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:16 AM Permalink

wow, great concept and story, i love the expression and the torn and empty ribcage, cant wait to see your first modelling stage

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:49 AM Permalink

Frikken awesome [:P]

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 21/07/04 - 6:16 PM Permalink

I really like the art. Fantastic idea.

Submitted by tojo on Wed, 21/07/04 - 7:57 PM Permalink

cheers dudes.... :)

i really want to give it a kinda wet/damp look...... cold and dead..... so it kinda would leave a wet trail whenever it dragged itself across the floor ( rarely anway ).... and obvious callouses on the back of it's poorly-genetically designed stumpy bits, showing signs of how much difficulty this thing has when trying to move...

Submitted by tojo on Wed, 21/07/04 - 11:28 PM Permalink

ok here is the first progess image..

i am really just trying to nut out the expression on it's face...

i'll see where it takes me....

would like to stay true to the drawing..... although i will change the mesh where needed or where i think it improves from the drawing...

i am planning to spend a few poly's on the face alone...

i want a tounge and mouth that can be animated ...

as well as eyeballs that move..

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/tojo/2004720232232_progress01.jpg"]progress01.jpg[/img]

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/tojo/2004720232232_progress01.jpg"]progress01.jpg[/url]
86.61 KB

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 22/07/04 - 12:26 AM Permalink

Insane! Love the concept! and the work in progress looks fantastic, more!

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 22/07/04 - 1:24 AM Permalink

That's some twisted shit, i like it. Great concept and great story. Can't wait to see it finished

Submitted by Nomad on Thu, 22/07/04 - 6:29 AM Permalink

Heyyyyy, very Cronenberg + Barker wrapped up in one wet, sloppy, visceral package. Well, most of it is in the package, some of it is kinda hanging out and trailing slimy muck. Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that right hook. Looks nasty.

Seems like u r a little vague about the supporting story details, I guess that isn't your focus though. If you want some creative story ideas
amessettingsscenarios, I may be able to help you, big fan of horrorsci-fi (Stoker, Lovecraft, Herbert, Gibson, Kubrick) and I've written storyboard concept before. Let me know...

Looking forward to the dev renders, providing this isn't vaporware.
I think I'll be checking back here soon.

Submitted by tojo on Thu, 22/07/04 - 9:47 PM Permalink

feel free to expand on the plot if you want... ie add sinister american company name... or expand on the mutant idea thing..... definately in my head there is a resident evil thing happening.....
it would be cool if there was a touch of spiritual evil in there is well........ dont know how it would fit though.... would be cool if there were a real demonic evilness residing in these creatures that was some how genetically induced..... not just brain-feeding zombies..... sentient, calculative.... problem solving .....primitive in thier aim, advanced in thier means...

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 23/07/04 - 12:05 AM Permalink

Looks fantastic Tojo! Have a play around with the eyes, by sinking them further into the head, for that black hole sort of look, and maybe define her cheekbones for that extra gaunt factor.

No crits really, just more of a play around with what youve done, see if you cant squeeze that extra bit of horror from the face [:)] its a great concept !!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 23/07/04 - 1:42 AM Permalink

that face is coming along really well, great expression

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 23/07/04 - 3:38 AM Permalink

I would work a bit more on the way you approach the mesh, the feeling of the concept is obviously there and its great but the mesh is quit messy in its construction.

This comp is judged on mesh and texture ability alone, so don't rely on just wowing with the concept, even though it is a great one. [:)]

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 23/07/04 - 4:36 AM Permalink

it just seems to be the way i work... i dont know why.... i just really throw the mesh about and clean it up later....

i totally agree with you though..... i hope the contest really is judged on the mesh and texture alone,, because i feel i dont have any other tricks up my sleeve than that :)
i am thinking about cleaning it up with quads??? for subdivision reasons.... and like wise i was thinking about working the mesh for animation.... do you think the judging will factor these things in?? or should be focusing on things like baking lighting into the texture from a higher mesh??

i am hoping the judging will focus more on clean meshes and well painted textures rather than using advanced texturing methods that will blow most of us out of the water..... probably should have just done the normal-mapping thing if that is going to be the case???

might post this one on the main forum.... try an attract some feedback.................

Submitted by denz on Fri, 23/07/04 - 4:47 AM Permalink

Great expression on the mesh, very much like the concept, which i also like :)

Although yeah it does need alot of cleaning I'm sure you will get to that. Also I don't know why you keep talking about subd when this is low poly, I think you should really concentrate on the nonsubd mesh foremost.

Also, you definately should be working the mesh for animation, IMO and I'm sure pretty much everyonelse, a model that animates well, is a successful model, its the point of good topology.

Keep it up, can't wait to see this develop. [:D]

Submitted by Jackablade on Fri, 23/07/04 - 11:23 AM Permalink

You've got an 8000 poly budget. Why are we talking about subdivision at all?

I'm liking your concept. Your mesh is rather more scary though. I'd highly recomeng you model in Quads. Its far easier to model, it'll rig and animate better, it'll shade better and it'll be easier to read and critique. It takes a while to learn the nuances, but its well worth the effort.

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 23/07/04 - 8:37 PM Permalink

cheers dudes... i really appreciate the advice.. i saw how neat and tidy Lara Croft was modeled in the last tr game... from memory all quads.. i dont use a box method ...obviously :) so it will be a process of clean up for me... i think i am going to experiment more with spline based stuff in the future.... maybe even for the body??...

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 24/07/04 - 7:46 AM Permalink

If your going for nice facial closeups etc ALA Project Zero / Fatal Frame - then a good deal of your polycount should go into the face for some nice animation look to spend about a good quater to a third of your polycount there.

It realy depends on what part you really want the player to look at, in general use your count wisely, but spend those extra tri's on places that you really want the player to notice. [:D]

Hope that helps [:)]

Submitted by tojo on Sat, 24/07/04 - 8:25 AM Permalink

yeh..... i agree .... i was checking out the low poly ut engine 3 characters...... alot of facial detail and still relatively low modelling on the body.... 5000+ or so ......... i am going to use this as a basis.....

hey...... i sank the eyes in like you suggested ( HazarD ) .... will do it a bit more.... but it wont stand out until you see the red eyelids.......

oh..... and i have to try an make her a bit more feminine some how...... that will be a challenge in itself

still want her to be a her/thing not a him/thing at this point..:)

Submitted by denz on Sat, 24/07/04 - 8:56 AM Permalink

Very cool, I love the gum.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 24/07/04 - 8:53 PM Permalink

thats looking just great, im loving that expression

Submitted by Jackablade on Sun, 25/07/04 - 10:24 AM Permalink

Hm, you're gonna have a hard time making that beastie more feminine. You could work on the nose a bit which'd help, but not sell it entirely as female. The big dimple at the temples is giving her a more masculine look. You could try giving the lower lip a more feminine shape. I dunno how well it'd work, but you haven't left yourself a lot to work with given the inhuman lips and eyes and lack of chin. Maybe some girly eyebrows? Some hair would probably help the femininity a bit if you wanted to go in that direction.

Submitted by xyz on Sun, 25/07/04 - 5:52 PM Permalink

She looks like my old boss. Hey your going to put a dress on her aren't you ?
That will cover the girl side of things I guess. Nice one.

Submitted by tojo on Mon, 26/07/04 - 10:15 AM Permalink

there wont be any dress........ or any clothing..... just lots of slimey crap......

i am also going to make the eyes more exorcist style......... giving that apiritual/possessed look that hints at more than just the plain old bio-waste product bad-dude.... dude/chicky

Submitted by Discmage on Mon, 26/07/04 - 10:30 PM Permalink

I think framing the head in long hair/hair like elements would make it more female for one...

I really like the model so far, I have no idea how you have it at that polycount as when I did my jester initially it was already around the 4500 mark and didn't look as smooth as yours...

I have, of course, reduced that somewhat :)

Look forward to seeing this one progress with the skills you have at hand.

Submitted by tojo on Mon, 26/07/04 - 11:28 PM Permalink

thats my bad ........ um that image has subd's on... i model this way...... sitting at about 4000 i think there..

the core model beneath it is at about 900 or so..... i optimaize as i go .... using subd's to help find smoother lines and so forth... helping me to define a smoother mesh......

i was actually refering to my estimated budget rather than the image :)

ill post another image... showing the difference and where i am at now

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 27/07/04 - 3:48 AM Permalink

Wow, that?s looking really good. My only concern is that if that's at 4000 ish polys, won't it be really difficult to keep the rest of your model around the same poly count? I'm sure you'll work it out and everything, but I'm just wondering if you intend to use about half the allowed poly count all on the face, and the other half on everything else. That just kind of sounds like maybe a bad move to me - maybe the face won't match the body?

Just my humble thoughts ? I don?t really know what I?m talking about! :P I just hope you get the rest of the model looking as cool as the face. [:)]
Great job on the expression, BTW.

Posted by tojo on

right here goes........ this is my idea

set in the future... lets say 20 years from now........ food companys have started growing animal parts and meat on

large membrane walls in factories.....

gentically modified, this food source can grow without an animal being created or killed... just grows on racks of

membranous tissue.. very clinical and sterile.....
except ........ one day..... evil american greedy company....or cia ... or something like that... gets there hands on

the technology and grows human parts...

using a special extra strong blue 'life formula' these experiments went terribly wrong... and before they knew it ....

there were genetic atrocities floating out of every sewer and alley feeding on anything livng they could find to

satiate thier extra high need for protien... oh ... and brains of course...

alot of people died ..... and it is the hero's job to clean up this mess and find out how far the geno-mutant-zombie

problem has extended...

this particularly ugly marylin manson/ exorcist/blue-bottle- zombie dude is a rather stationary but still a

particularly nasty breed of mutant...... thinking about calling it a 'camper'...

..cause it sits in the one spot where the killing is good ( just like me in fps's ) and attacks with it's unholy

limbs..

makes alot of whaling noise (because his life is really painfull and sucky and he is always hungry) and has a

blue-bottle like sack of that blue gooey stuff i was talking about... (especially put in for extra cool blow-up

animations :) )

so what do you think?....

any ideas on a better name?

allready started modelling it... and will gets some images up soon......

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/tojo/200472011402_monster.jpg [/img]
[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/tojo/200472011402_monster.jpg"]monster.jpg[/url]
86.84 KB

Submitted by conundrum on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:16 AM Permalink

wow, great concept and story, i love the expression and the torn and empty ribcage, cant wait to see your first modelling stage

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:49 AM Permalink

Frikken awesome [:P]

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 21/07/04 - 6:16 PM Permalink

I really like the art. Fantastic idea.

Submitted by tojo on Wed, 21/07/04 - 7:57 PM Permalink

cheers dudes.... :)

i really want to give it a kinda wet/damp look...... cold and dead..... so it kinda would leave a wet trail whenever it dragged itself across the floor ( rarely anway ).... and obvious callouses on the back of it's poorly-genetically designed stumpy bits, showing signs of how much difficulty this thing has when trying to move...

Submitted by tojo on Wed, 21/07/04 - 11:28 PM Permalink

ok here is the first progess image..

i am really just trying to nut out the expression on it's face...

i'll see where it takes me....

would like to stay true to the drawing..... although i will change the mesh where needed or where i think it improves from the drawing...

i am planning to spend a few poly's on the face alone...

i want a tounge and mouth that can be animated ...

as well as eyeballs that move..

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/tojo/2004720232232_progress01.jpg"]progress01.jpg[/img]

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/tojo/2004720232232_progress01.jpg"]progress01.jpg[/url]
86.61 KB

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 22/07/04 - 12:26 AM Permalink

Insane! Love the concept! and the work in progress looks fantastic, more!

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 22/07/04 - 1:24 AM Permalink

That's some twisted shit, i like it. Great concept and great story. Can't wait to see it finished

Submitted by Nomad on Thu, 22/07/04 - 6:29 AM Permalink

Heyyyyy, very Cronenberg + Barker wrapped up in one wet, sloppy, visceral package. Well, most of it is in the package, some of it is kinda hanging out and trailing slimy muck. Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that right hook. Looks nasty.

Seems like u r a little vague about the supporting story details, I guess that isn't your focus though. If you want some creative story ideas
amessettingsscenarios, I may be able to help you, big fan of horrorsci-fi (Stoker, Lovecraft, Herbert, Gibson, Kubrick) and I've written storyboard concept before. Let me know...

Looking forward to the dev renders, providing this isn't vaporware.
I think I'll be checking back here soon.

Submitted by tojo on Thu, 22/07/04 - 9:47 PM Permalink

feel free to expand on the plot if you want... ie add sinister american company name... or expand on the mutant idea thing..... definately in my head there is a resident evil thing happening.....
it would be cool if there was a touch of spiritual evil in there is well........ dont know how it would fit though.... would be cool if there were a real demonic evilness residing in these creatures that was some how genetically induced..... not just brain-feeding zombies..... sentient, calculative.... problem solving .....primitive in thier aim, advanced in thier means...

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 23/07/04 - 12:05 AM Permalink

Looks fantastic Tojo! Have a play around with the eyes, by sinking them further into the head, for that black hole sort of look, and maybe define her cheekbones for that extra gaunt factor.

No crits really, just more of a play around with what youve done, see if you cant squeeze that extra bit of horror from the face [:)] its a great concept !!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 23/07/04 - 1:42 AM Permalink

that face is coming along really well, great expression

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 23/07/04 - 3:38 AM Permalink

I would work a bit more on the way you approach the mesh, the feeling of the concept is obviously there and its great but the mesh is quit messy in its construction.

This comp is judged on mesh and texture ability alone, so don't rely on just wowing with the concept, even though it is a great one. [:)]

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 23/07/04 - 4:36 AM Permalink

it just seems to be the way i work... i dont know why.... i just really throw the mesh about and clean it up later....

i totally agree with you though..... i hope the contest really is judged on the mesh and texture alone,, because i feel i dont have any other tricks up my sleeve than that :)
i am thinking about cleaning it up with quads??? for subdivision reasons.... and like wise i was thinking about working the mesh for animation.... do you think the judging will factor these things in?? or should be focusing on things like baking lighting into the texture from a higher mesh??

i am hoping the judging will focus more on clean meshes and well painted textures rather than using advanced texturing methods that will blow most of us out of the water..... probably should have just done the normal-mapping thing if that is going to be the case???

might post this one on the main forum.... try an attract some feedback.................

Submitted by denz on Fri, 23/07/04 - 4:47 AM Permalink

Great expression on the mesh, very much like the concept, which i also like :)

Although yeah it does need alot of cleaning I'm sure you will get to that. Also I don't know why you keep talking about subd when this is low poly, I think you should really concentrate on the nonsubd mesh foremost.

Also, you definately should be working the mesh for animation, IMO and I'm sure pretty much everyonelse, a model that animates well, is a successful model, its the point of good topology.

Keep it up, can't wait to see this develop. [:D]

Submitted by Jackablade on Fri, 23/07/04 - 11:23 AM Permalink

You've got an 8000 poly budget. Why are we talking about subdivision at all?

I'm liking your concept. Your mesh is rather more scary though. I'd highly recomeng you model in Quads. Its far easier to model, it'll rig and animate better, it'll shade better and it'll be easier to read and critique. It takes a while to learn the nuances, but its well worth the effort.

Submitted by tojo on Fri, 23/07/04 - 8:37 PM Permalink

cheers dudes... i really appreciate the advice.. i saw how neat and tidy Lara Croft was modeled in the last tr game... from memory all quads.. i dont use a box method ...obviously :) so it will be a process of clean up for me... i think i am going to experiment more with spline based stuff in the future.... maybe even for the body??...

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 24/07/04 - 7:46 AM Permalink

If your going for nice facial closeups etc ALA Project Zero / Fatal Frame - then a good deal of your polycount should go into the face for some nice animation look to spend about a good quater to a third of your polycount there.

It realy depends on what part you really want the player to look at, in general use your count wisely, but spend those extra tri's on places that you really want the player to notice. [:D]

Hope that helps [:)]

Submitted by tojo on Sat, 24/07/04 - 8:25 AM Permalink

yeh..... i agree .... i was checking out the low poly ut engine 3 characters...... alot of facial detail and still relatively low modelling on the body.... 5000+ or so ......... i am going to use this as a basis.....

hey...... i sank the eyes in like you suggested ( HazarD ) .... will do it a bit more.... but it wont stand out until you see the red eyelids.......

oh..... and i have to try an make her a bit more feminine some how...... that will be a challenge in itself

still want her to be a her/thing not a him/thing at this point..:)

Submitted by denz on Sat, 24/07/04 - 8:56 AM Permalink

Very cool, I love the gum.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 24/07/04 - 8:53 PM Permalink

thats looking just great, im loving that expression

Submitted by Jackablade on Sun, 25/07/04 - 10:24 AM Permalink

Hm, you're gonna have a hard time making that beastie more feminine. You could work on the nose a bit which'd help, but not sell it entirely as female. The big dimple at the temples is giving her a more masculine look. You could try giving the lower lip a more feminine shape. I dunno how well it'd work, but you haven't left yourself a lot to work with given the inhuman lips and eyes and lack of chin. Maybe some girly eyebrows? Some hair would probably help the femininity a bit if you wanted to go in that direction.

Submitted by xyz on Sun, 25/07/04 - 5:52 PM Permalink

She looks like my old boss. Hey your going to put a dress on her aren't you ?
That will cover the girl side of things I guess. Nice one.

Submitted by tojo on Mon, 26/07/04 - 10:15 AM Permalink

there wont be any dress........ or any clothing..... just lots of slimey crap......

i am also going to make the eyes more exorcist style......... giving that apiritual/possessed look that hints at more than just the plain old bio-waste product bad-dude.... dude/chicky

Submitted by Discmage on Mon, 26/07/04 - 10:30 PM Permalink

I think framing the head in long hair/hair like elements would make it more female for one...

I really like the model so far, I have no idea how you have it at that polycount as when I did my jester initially it was already around the 4500 mark and didn't look as smooth as yours...

I have, of course, reduced that somewhat :)

Look forward to seeing this one progress with the skills you have at hand.

Submitted by tojo on Mon, 26/07/04 - 11:28 PM Permalink

thats my bad ........ um that image has subd's on... i model this way...... sitting at about 4000 i think there..

the core model beneath it is at about 900 or so..... i optimaize as i go .... using subd's to help find smoother lines and so forth... helping me to define a smoother mesh......

i was actually refering to my estimated budget rather than the image :)

ill post another image... showing the difference and where i am at now

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 27/07/04 - 3:48 AM Permalink

Wow, that?s looking really good. My only concern is that if that's at 4000 ish polys, won't it be really difficult to keep the rest of your model around the same poly count? I'm sure you'll work it out and everything, but I'm just wondering if you intend to use about half the allowed poly count all on the face, and the other half on everything else. That just kind of sounds like maybe a bad move to me - maybe the face won't match the body?

Just my humble thoughts ? I don?t really know what I?m talking about! :P I just hope you get the rest of the model looking as cool as the face. [:)]
Great job on the expression, BTW.