Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #6 -3D- JD

Submitted by JD on

Hey guys,

I have been keeping track of the last 3 competitions, and thought it was about time I join one and have a crack at it. Once I find a scanner I shall upload my concept.

I'm going for an insect like tortured being. Easier to explain when you see it. And by that i meant evil giant tortured insect +1

Good luck everyone.

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:28 PM Permalink

Yeah but i've already shotguned big giant evil zombie insect!

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:47 PM Permalink

it's very different to my design so your forgiven :)

Submitted by arcane on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:03 PM Permalink

Looks good! Perhaps the legs should be a little "beefier", too?

Submitted by JD on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:25 PM Permalink

Yeah, good point. Im thinking having the upper half of the legs smaller (perhaps a little beefier) Then the lower half of the leg or shin will be really beefy with some intricate designed armour. Will have a 3 joint leg similar to a cat not human.

Submitted by JD on Fri, 23/07/04 - 10:02 AM Permalink

Side View:
[img]http://users.tpg.com.au/nikoj/concept1.jpg[/img]

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/jd/200472295945_concept1.jpg"]concept1.jpg[/url]
102.58 KB

I'm going to redo all these as part of an Introduction to drawing assessment for Qantm. So i will upload them next thursday when they are due. Critism please, i know the legs are to be bulkier, but any other critz?

Also that hole in the chest will be a place for the creature to store spare organs it finds inside other living beings. Its way of survival basically.

Submitted by MarkMash on Sun, 25/07/04 - 7:15 AM Permalink

Dont forget to connect those ribs to a sternum. Everyone wants a sternum once in a while. Unless he has 2 rib cages! oh cool idea me, should have put that in mine!

Submitted by JD on Tue, 27/07/04 - 8:30 PM Permalink

Yeah Thanks MarkMash. I have actually just completed the front and side redone. Mouth is now changed, has 4 arms really bulky legs and the chest is all nice and open.

Once i find a working scanner i will put it up.

Submitted by JD on Wed, 28/07/04 - 12:51 AM Permalink

Re-concepted. Also have the side and back, but wont put those up. This demonstrates his look enough.
[img]http://users.tpg.com.au/nikoj/horrorconcept1.jpg[/img]
[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/jd/200472704914_horrorconcept1.j…"]horrorconcept1.jpg[/url]
95.68 KB

As you can see the face has been altered dramatically legs are bulky like suggested (Great suggestion). Will being modelling soon enough.

JD

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 28/07/04 - 1:58 AM Permalink

looking good, like its carapace. Personally i think the face could be more scary, but otherwise gw

oh and did you do those lines by hand or in a program (if so which).

Submitted by JD on Wed, 28/07/04 - 8:55 AM Permalink

Nah those lines are all done in Ink. Though the program i'd use to get lines like that would be StreamLine. Its a marcomedia program, really good for vectorising lines that have been drawing.

I didn't want to make this guy too scary as i was thinking of him (it) as a playable character. Your objective to survive by collecting organs from living beings to shove in your chest so they can degrade into nutrients. That is why the ribcage is currently empty. *He'd be pretty hungry at the moment.*

Submitted by goodgod on Thu, 29/07/04 - 11:15 AM Permalink

I think if you don?t give a playable character much for the player to relate to it, it?s hard to make the player feel or be scare for the character unless he is like a deformed version of a player or something.

Submitted by JD on Tue, 03/08/04 - 8:29 PM Permalink

Good point goodgod, was thinking of making him look weak and pathetic, because ppl are usually apathetic with weak creatures. Possibly an of the humans as he is a fallen creature from his race and can no longer return home.

Submitted by Discmage on Tue, 03/08/04 - 10:41 PM Permalink

Think of Abe in the Oddworld series as a good example of weak that people relate to. As odd as the character is, he still makes for a good playable character.

Maybe you could make it so he is a baby monster in a world full of major monsters, trying to get to his Mother :) Each monster you defeat you take a part of and add it to your own abilities or something (like taking an arm from a big monster you kill and add it, so you have an extra arm to kill things with :)

Because it's a little kid (in essence) you can do the whole fright thing (kids are scared of the smallest things) so you'd play on the whole fear of the unknown, eyes in the darkness etc.

Posted by JD on

Hey guys,

I have been keeping track of the last 3 competitions, and thought it was about time I join one and have a crack at it. Once I find a scanner I shall upload my concept.

I'm going for an insect like tortured being. Easier to explain when you see it. And by that i meant evil giant tortured insect +1

Good luck everyone.

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:28 PM Permalink

Yeah but i've already shotguned big giant evil zombie insect!

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:47 PM Permalink

it's very different to my design so your forgiven :)

Submitted by arcane on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:03 PM Permalink

Looks good! Perhaps the legs should be a little "beefier", too?

Submitted by JD on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:25 PM Permalink

Yeah, good point. Im thinking having the upper half of the legs smaller (perhaps a little beefier) Then the lower half of the leg or shin will be really beefy with some intricate designed armour. Will have a 3 joint leg similar to a cat not human.

Submitted by JD on Fri, 23/07/04 - 10:02 AM Permalink

Side View:
[img]http://users.tpg.com.au/nikoj/concept1.jpg[/img]

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/jd/200472295945_concept1.jpg"]concept1.jpg[/url]
102.58 KB

I'm going to redo all these as part of an Introduction to drawing assessment for Qantm. So i will upload them next thursday when they are due. Critism please, i know the legs are to be bulkier, but any other critz?

Also that hole in the chest will be a place for the creature to store spare organs it finds inside other living beings. Its way of survival basically.

Submitted by MarkMash on Sun, 25/07/04 - 7:15 AM Permalink

Dont forget to connect those ribs to a sternum. Everyone wants a sternum once in a while. Unless he has 2 rib cages! oh cool idea me, should have put that in mine!

Submitted by JD on Tue, 27/07/04 - 8:30 PM Permalink

Yeah Thanks MarkMash. I have actually just completed the front and side redone. Mouth is now changed, has 4 arms really bulky legs and the chest is all nice and open.

Once i find a working scanner i will put it up.

Submitted by JD on Wed, 28/07/04 - 12:51 AM Permalink

Re-concepted. Also have the side and back, but wont put those up. This demonstrates his look enough.
[img]http://users.tpg.com.au/nikoj/horrorconcept1.jpg[/img]
[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/jd/200472704914_horrorconcept1.j…"]horrorconcept1.jpg[/url]
95.68 KB

As you can see the face has been altered dramatically legs are bulky like suggested (Great suggestion). Will being modelling soon enough.

JD

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 28/07/04 - 1:58 AM Permalink

looking good, like its carapace. Personally i think the face could be more scary, but otherwise gw

oh and did you do those lines by hand or in a program (if so which).

Submitted by JD on Wed, 28/07/04 - 8:55 AM Permalink

Nah those lines are all done in Ink. Though the program i'd use to get lines like that would be StreamLine. Its a marcomedia program, really good for vectorising lines that have been drawing.

I didn't want to make this guy too scary as i was thinking of him (it) as a playable character. Your objective to survive by collecting organs from living beings to shove in your chest so they can degrade into nutrients. That is why the ribcage is currently empty. *He'd be pretty hungry at the moment.*

Submitted by goodgod on Thu, 29/07/04 - 11:15 AM Permalink

I think if you don?t give a playable character much for the player to relate to it, it?s hard to make the player feel or be scare for the character unless he is like a deformed version of a player or something.

Submitted by JD on Tue, 03/08/04 - 8:29 PM Permalink

Good point goodgod, was thinking of making him look weak and pathetic, because ppl are usually apathetic with weak creatures. Possibly an of the humans as he is a fallen creature from his race and can no longer return home.

Submitted by Discmage on Tue, 03/08/04 - 10:41 PM Permalink

Think of Abe in the Oddworld series as a good example of weak that people relate to. As odd as the character is, he still makes for a good playable character.

Maybe you could make it so he is a baby monster in a world full of major monsters, trying to get to his Mother :) Each monster you defeat you take a part of and add it to your own abilities or something (like taking an arm from a big monster you kill and add it, so you have an extra arm to kill things with :)

Because it's a little kid (in essence) you can do the whole fright thing (kids are scared of the smallest things) so you'd play on the whole fear of the unknown, eyes in the darkness etc.