Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #6 -3D- Arcane

Submitted by arcane on

Well... I'm not much of a modeller, but I thought I'd give this competition a go.

Inspiration is a mix of Alien(s), Starship Troopers and some other junk floating around in my head. This character (?) is intended to be a minion.

I've got a couple of initial sketches, but I haven't bothered to upload them, as they're even worse than the model!

Modelling is being done in Wings3d, and is currently sitting at 726 tris. Only basic legs and head have been done so far - I haven't decided what to do for the body yet (ideas would be appreciated!). Feel free to critisize as much as you'd like!

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/arcane/20047205459_stage1.gif[/i…]

Submitted by tojo on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:11 AM Permalink

looks good so far dude.......
cant wait to see more ..

Submitted by conundrum on Thu, 22/07/04 - 2:08 AM Permalink

looking good, thats a really nice base to work from, its got really nice proportions, cant wait to see it when you put in all the detail

Submitted by Jackablade on Thu, 22/07/04 - 9:23 AM Permalink

I think you're going to have trouble working on the body with a mesh that dense. Its also pretty wasteful, particularly given you've got very few other parts done as yet. Save your poly budget for when you've got a few details in there.

You could probably also use some reference material of scorpions and the like. It'll really help you get a more believable character going.

Good luck with it.

Posted by arcane on

Well... I'm not much of a modeller, but I thought I'd give this competition a go.

Inspiration is a mix of Alien(s), Starship Troopers and some other junk floating around in my head. This character (?) is intended to be a minion.

I've got a couple of initial sketches, but I haven't bothered to upload them, as they're even worse than the model!

Modelling is being done in Wings3d, and is currently sitting at 726 tris. Only basic legs and head have been done so far - I haven't decided what to do for the body yet (ideas would be appreciated!). Feel free to critisize as much as you'd like!

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/arcane/20047205459_stage1.gif[/i…]

Submitted by tojo on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:11 AM Permalink

looks good so far dude.......
cant wait to see more ..

Submitted by conundrum on Thu, 22/07/04 - 2:08 AM Permalink

looking good, thats a really nice base to work from, its got really nice proportions, cant wait to see it when you put in all the detail

Submitted by Jackablade on Thu, 22/07/04 - 9:23 AM Permalink

I think you're going to have trouble working on the body with a mesh that dense. Its also pretty wasteful, particularly given you've got very few other parts done as yet. Save your poly budget for when you've got a few details in there.

You could probably also use some reference material of scorpions and the like. It'll really help you get a more believable character going.

Good luck with it.