Skip to main content

Can someone recommend me a printer?

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

I'm after a printer that does REALLY fine quality black print outs.. (colour not necessary). Throw me some brands/models, please [:)]. I have no idea what's hot or what's not in the fabulous world of printers.

Submitted by tomcat on Thu, 20/03/03 - 3:11 PM Permalink

just a little bit of advice. epson printers are poor. go for something like the canon s750, does excellent prints especially on glossy paper _but u have to experiment with the setting.

best thing u can do is visit stors like harvey norman where they sell a variety of different brands.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 20/03/03 - 8:18 PM Permalink

I have a Canon S4500, the print quality is good, not great but good. The reason I think it is a god printer however is this.

Black ink for it costs (on average) $20
It's A3
You can get a scan head for it like I did, and scan near to A3 is size. (no more little drawings to fit the scanner)

Well thats my two cents.

Pantmonger

Submitted by souri on Fri, 21/03/03 - 1:04 PM Permalink

Great! Thanks guys...

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 21/03/03 - 1:15 PM Permalink

My dad got an Epson stylus, and the quality was great, but that beast guzzled ink like you wouldn't believe.[:0]

After taking the Epson back, we got a Canon S200SP, which has a "super economy" mode (just comes out lighter - very usefull). The quality is great, but I've had some problems with the drivers (printing colour), though that's probably just me.

The Canon S200SP would probably be an OK choice ("super economy" is a great feature to have), but there is probably something better...

My old HP printer is still going.. have a look at what they have to offer these days.

Hope this information is useful :)

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 21/03/03 - 1:25 PM Permalink

I got a Canon BJC something-or-rather (in the low 100's), and it was pretty damn pathetic I have to say. The drivers for it refused to print properly, no matter what the settings (i.e. it would print the pages only 1/2 as wide as they were suppsed to be, with everything squashed there), so I had to use drivers for another printer to print black and white properly. Colour printing was fuxored too.

Now I just use the printers at Uni for all my "B&W" printing, and as for colour - pah.

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 21/03/03 - 1:34 PM Permalink

One thing you have to notice is that one model might be great, then the next a heap of crap. (or the other way around)

Brands mean *nothing* in the world of printers, I have learned.

Best thing to do is research the specific models you are looking at.

Submitted by StrkEagle on Fri, 21/03/03 - 9:22 PM Permalink

i got a HP psc2100 (printer/scanner/copier) and its price is getting lower
the print quality is awesome, color or b/w
the scan speed is fast and good quality
the copier is pretty darn good and fast too

Peter Gillespie
www.3dluvr.com/eagor

Posted by souri on
Forum

I'm after a printer that does REALLY fine quality black print outs.. (colour not necessary). Throw me some brands/models, please [:)]. I have no idea what's hot or what's not in the fabulous world of printers.

Submitted by tomcat on Thu, 20/03/03 - 3:11 PM Permalink

just a little bit of advice. epson printers are poor. go for something like the canon s750, does excellent prints especially on glossy paper _but u have to experiment with the setting.

best thing u can do is visit stors like harvey norman where they sell a variety of different brands.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 20/03/03 - 8:18 PM Permalink

I have a Canon S4500, the print quality is good, not great but good. The reason I think it is a god printer however is this.

Black ink for it costs (on average) $20
It's A3
You can get a scan head for it like I did, and scan near to A3 is size. (no more little drawings to fit the scanner)

Well thats my two cents.

Pantmonger

Submitted by souri on Fri, 21/03/03 - 1:04 PM Permalink

Great! Thanks guys...

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 21/03/03 - 1:15 PM Permalink

My dad got an Epson stylus, and the quality was great, but that beast guzzled ink like you wouldn't believe.[:0]

After taking the Epson back, we got a Canon S200SP, which has a "super economy" mode (just comes out lighter - very usefull). The quality is great, but I've had some problems with the drivers (printing colour), though that's probably just me.

The Canon S200SP would probably be an OK choice ("super economy" is a great feature to have), but there is probably something better...

My old HP printer is still going.. have a look at what they have to offer these days.

Hope this information is useful :)

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 21/03/03 - 1:25 PM Permalink

I got a Canon BJC something-or-rather (in the low 100's), and it was pretty damn pathetic I have to say. The drivers for it refused to print properly, no matter what the settings (i.e. it would print the pages only 1/2 as wide as they were suppsed to be, with everything squashed there), so I had to use drivers for another printer to print black and white properly. Colour printing was fuxored too.

Now I just use the printers at Uni for all my "B&W" printing, and as for colour - pah.

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 21/03/03 - 1:34 PM Permalink

One thing you have to notice is that one model might be great, then the next a heap of crap. (or the other way around)

Brands mean *nothing* in the world of printers, I have learned.

Best thing to do is research the specific models you are looking at.

Submitted by StrkEagle on Fri, 21/03/03 - 9:22 PM Permalink

i got a HP psc2100 (printer/scanner/copier) and its price is getting lower
the print quality is awesome, color or b/w
the scan speed is fast and good quality
the copier is pretty darn good and fast too

Peter Gillespie
www.3dluvr.com/eagor