Skip to main content

Duke Nukem Forever coming.....

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Late 2004/early 2005!!

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/dukenukemforever/news_6085889.html

Another year's wait, oh well [:)]

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 20/12/03 - 12:59 AM Permalink

whats another year on close to a decade....

how many times have they rebuilt this thing? didnt it start on the Unreal 1 engine?

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 20/12/03 - 12:59 AM Permalink

What a load of pants, even if it does come out it will get flamed.

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 20/12/03 - 7:46 AM Permalink

Nah. It actaully started with the Quake 2 engine (Yep. It be that old :) ). I just find that it is amusing that they have always said 'it will be released when it is done', like in the article. Yet they then say 04/05 :P

I guess we just have to see what it is like when it (eventually) comes out...

Submitted by Kezza on Sun, 21/12/03 - 11:50 PM Permalink

is it possible to stay ahead of the technology curve when doing one project for so long?
I think that something like hl2 is going to blow it out of the water by being released about the same time.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Mon, 22/12/03 - 5:15 AM Permalink

I think if its a huge flop, we'll probably see an end of huge games with equally huge development teams.
To publishers, it's just not feasible spendning millions of dollars that takes 7 years to get a return on - and theres no guarentee that it will break even.

It'll be unfortunate if thats the case, games are getting too short, I'm finding it hard to justify spending $90 on something that will keep me entertained for a mere 10 hours.

Soooo.. With some luck, DNF will be a kickass game that you play for weeks before getting close to finishing..

Submitted by smeg on Mon, 22/12/03 - 9:05 AM Permalink

I'd laugh if there were only 6 - 8 hours in DNF. I'd laugh hard.

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Mon, 22/12/03 - 8:27 PM Permalink

One of 3d realms artists let it slip that they would be using normal mapping, It was mentioned on his work history page on his personal website, unfortunately the entry is now gone and it didnt go into specifics as to what capacity the normal mapping would be used

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 22/12/03 - 9:39 PM Permalink

I would be surprised if they have it finished by then.

I used to think that the "when it's done" attitude was a good thing for games. But I realised a long time ago that a 'game' is a solution to a problem within given constraints - including time. You have to be able to predict where games are headed, and if you can't, you'll spend 7-8 years making a game that will ultimately be no better than something that took 2 years to make.

Submitted by smeg on Tue, 23/12/03 - 7:20 AM Permalink

Yep. They cannot justify ~8 years development time. And if they can - i will both take my hat off to them, and eat it promptly afterwards. And i have a big hat.

cheers

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 24/12/03 - 10:06 AM Permalink

half life 2 actually has only taken 2 years to make so far... plus 1 more year is 3...

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 28/12/03 - 9:33 AM Permalink

meh....I am long past the point of caring about DNF

Submitted by inglis on Sun, 28/12/03 - 10:29 AM Permalink

any game that started development with the quake 1 engine is taking forever. even if it was just "experimenting".

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 29/12/03 - 4:02 AM Permalink

I didn't think the original half life took 5 years to make?

It was released in 1998...my memory is a bit foggy, so even if it was released at the end of 1998, then they would have had to start working on it at the start of 1994, which is about when doom 2 was finished.

Just seems chronologically out of place.

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 29/12/03 - 4:50 AM Permalink

Whenever they say that they have been working on a game for 5 years, that can mean a few different things. It may not always be physically making the game. They may also take the conception stage into account.

Although that is a crucial part of any designing process, one year of concepting that they mention could just be the occasional thinking. It seams that if people think that a game has been thought about and in developement for a long time then it will mean that it will have more effort put into it.

I'm sure that HL2 was being 'made' at the samae time as HL1. Although that could merely be the thought of wanting to make a series of games. They probably didn't really start their ideas for HL2 until HL1 was finished though. They have said on numerous occassions that the fans have influenced how they wanted HL2 to be. Therefore, any work on HL2 that was done before HL1 was finished may have been fairly minimal.

Without some sort of diary, it is very difficult to know what level of work they have done during the game's cycle.

Submitted by inglis on Mon, 29/12/03 - 5:53 AM Permalink

i just remember watching a video of it back when it was on the unreal engine (i think).
they should have released it then...looked heaps better than anything else on the market.
they could have been onto duke nukem forever 2....lol

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 29/12/03 - 7:26 AM Permalink

Marty - the way that question has been phrased it doesn't necessarily imply that HL2 was being developed for 5 years, just that some development for it started back then. Another thing is that the Half Life 1 SDK didn't ship the same moment that the game did, it did at least a year after...

But if you want to count it that way, HL2 development started with the Quake1 engine, which was done in 1995-6, therefore you could say that its been in development for over 8 years now!

Posted by souri on
Forum

Late 2004/early 2005!!

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/dukenukemforever/news_6085889.html

Another year's wait, oh well [:)]

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 20/12/03 - 12:59 AM Permalink

whats another year on close to a decade....

how many times have they rebuilt this thing? didnt it start on the Unreal 1 engine?

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 20/12/03 - 12:59 AM Permalink

What a load of pants, even if it does come out it will get flamed.

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 20/12/03 - 7:46 AM Permalink

Nah. It actaully started with the Quake 2 engine (Yep. It be that old :) ). I just find that it is amusing that they have always said 'it will be released when it is done', like in the article. Yet they then say 04/05 :P

I guess we just have to see what it is like when it (eventually) comes out...

Submitted by Kezza on Sun, 21/12/03 - 11:50 PM Permalink

is it possible to stay ahead of the technology curve when doing one project for so long?
I think that something like hl2 is going to blow it out of the water by being released about the same time.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Mon, 22/12/03 - 5:15 AM Permalink

I think if its a huge flop, we'll probably see an end of huge games with equally huge development teams.
To publishers, it's just not feasible spendning millions of dollars that takes 7 years to get a return on - and theres no guarentee that it will break even.

It'll be unfortunate if thats the case, games are getting too short, I'm finding it hard to justify spending $90 on something that will keep me entertained for a mere 10 hours.

Soooo.. With some luck, DNF will be a kickass game that you play for weeks before getting close to finishing..

Submitted by smeg on Mon, 22/12/03 - 9:05 AM Permalink

I'd laugh if there were only 6 - 8 hours in DNF. I'd laugh hard.

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Mon, 22/12/03 - 8:27 PM Permalink

One of 3d realms artists let it slip that they would be using normal mapping, It was mentioned on his work history page on his personal website, unfortunately the entry is now gone and it didnt go into specifics as to what capacity the normal mapping would be used

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 22/12/03 - 9:39 PM Permalink

I would be surprised if they have it finished by then.

I used to think that the "when it's done" attitude was a good thing for games. But I realised a long time ago that a 'game' is a solution to a problem within given constraints - including time. You have to be able to predict where games are headed, and if you can't, you'll spend 7-8 years making a game that will ultimately be no better than something that took 2 years to make.

Submitted by smeg on Tue, 23/12/03 - 7:20 AM Permalink

Yep. They cannot justify ~8 years development time. And if they can - i will both take my hat off to them, and eat it promptly afterwards. And i have a big hat.

cheers

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 24/12/03 - 10:06 AM Permalink

half life 2 actually has only taken 2 years to make so far... plus 1 more year is 3...

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 28/12/03 - 9:33 AM Permalink

meh....I am long past the point of caring about DNF

Submitted by inglis on Sun, 28/12/03 - 10:29 AM Permalink

any game that started development with the quake 1 engine is taking forever. even if it was just "experimenting".

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 29/12/03 - 4:02 AM Permalink

I didn't think the original half life took 5 years to make?

It was released in 1998...my memory is a bit foggy, so even if it was released at the end of 1998, then they would have had to start working on it at the start of 1994, which is about when doom 2 was finished.

Just seems chronologically out of place.

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 29/12/03 - 4:50 AM Permalink

Whenever they say that they have been working on a game for 5 years, that can mean a few different things. It may not always be physically making the game. They may also take the conception stage into account.

Although that is a crucial part of any designing process, one year of concepting that they mention could just be the occasional thinking. It seams that if people think that a game has been thought about and in developement for a long time then it will mean that it will have more effort put into it.

I'm sure that HL2 was being 'made' at the samae time as HL1. Although that could merely be the thought of wanting to make a series of games. They probably didn't really start their ideas for HL2 until HL1 was finished though. They have said on numerous occassions that the fans have influenced how they wanted HL2 to be. Therefore, any work on HL2 that was done before HL1 was finished may have been fairly minimal.

Without some sort of diary, it is very difficult to know what level of work they have done during the game's cycle.

Submitted by inglis on Mon, 29/12/03 - 5:53 AM Permalink

i just remember watching a video of it back when it was on the unreal engine (i think).
they should have released it then...looked heaps better than anything else on the market.
they could have been onto duke nukem forever 2....lol

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 29/12/03 - 7:26 AM Permalink

Marty - the way that question has been phrased it doesn't necessarily imply that HL2 was being developed for 5 years, just that some development for it started back then. Another thing is that the Half Life 1 SDK didn't ship the same moment that the game did, it did at least a year after...

But if you want to count it that way, HL2 development started with the Quake1 engine, which was done in 1995-6, therefore you could say that its been in development for over 8 years now!