Skip to main content

Need helpful suggstions on race track construction

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

I'm working on a race track level in Max and I'm coming across some hurdles. The two methods of making a race track that I know of are:

Lofting - Making the road by lofting a path and shape. It's pretty limited because you can only have up to 100 path steps. If you're planning to have a decent sized track, this is nowhere near enough. Plus once the road is done, you have to create the environment (hills, fences etc) seperately to twist and turn the same way on each side of the track. One very big pro for this method though is that you can control the banking for corners..

Path deform - Make a long straight line of road and add a path deform modifyer with a spline of a track. This method I like much more because you have one straight road, put your environment on both sides of the road, slap on the path modifier, and the road/environment will twist, turn, rise, and fall as you've outlined in your spline of the track. However, one very big con with this method is that there's no way to control the way the corners bank, so some corners are pretty near unplayable (especially when they are like 45 degrees in angle, and it's banking off a cliff-edge. You'd almost have to crawl just to get past that turn without crashing into a barrier). It would be *ideal* if the path modifier had some banking options, but it doesn't.

If any one has any ideas, suggestions or better solutions, I'd very much appreciate it!

Submitted by Ninja on Tue, 19/08/03 - 10:21 PM Permalink

you can also do a polygon path extrude souri if you are using max 5 thats if your in editable poly mode........ and its easy to map as well as usual it generates mapping coordinates.

chris.. [:)]

Submitted by Brain on Tue, 19/08/03 - 10:21 PM Permalink

You could do the piece by piece method @:-P

Submitted by Major Clod on Tue, 19/08/03 - 11:04 PM Permalink

A technique I have used before is to make a spline for one edge of the road, then another spline for the opposite edge. Use something like the surface tools in max to fill in the road. You can also have additional splines along the sides of the track to create areas for grass etc... Remember you will need to have an equal number of vertices in the splines, and also have splines that go across the track to break it into quads. This would probably work alright for a proper racing circuit, however if you are aiming for a track that is more similar to something like NFS, you might want to use something different.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 21/08/03 - 7:42 PM Permalink

Major Clod, it'll probably be a bit of an effort to keep the road the exact same width on every corner and turn with that method. And yeh, it's going to be like a NFS track, with dips and hills - not going for a flat race track.
I could do it piece by piece, but that requires so much more work than the path deform modifier method, but I might have to do it that way if I can't find a better solution.
Polygon path extrude I haven't tried before. I'll muck about with it - but if I don't quite get it, can you explain it in a bit more detail? Thanks

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 21/08/03 - 9:44 PM Permalink

im pretty sure u will figure poly path extrude easily souri [:)] it is probably one of the best modelling features in max 5 and im pretty sure u will get a good curve and bends on the road but i dunno how many segements u can control on the curve [:)]

have fun [:)]

Submitted by Ionized on Thu, 21/08/03 - 11:09 PM Permalink

I worked on a few dirt track racing games and although they were fairly simple in terms of track length I imagine the principal would be the same. We used the lofting method. We would make a series of cross sections for the different banks and corners and then a spline for the path of the track. By using the 'create shape from edge' function it was pretty easy to make other lofts to create the terrain around the track. Make sure you create mapping co-ordinates for it too in the surface parameters of the loft.

I suppose to you could just split the track up into equal sections to get over the path step limit?

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 22/08/03 - 12:22 AM Permalink

oh that is quite nice info there ionized.. thank you .....I didnt even think about cross sections on tracks...that is very good method and clean as well [:P]

Submitted by souri on Fri, 22/08/03 - 11:40 AM Permalink

Is there a faster way to select all the edges from one side of the loft rather than selecting them one at a time?

Submitted by souri on Wed, 27/08/03 - 3:17 AM Permalink

I've decided to go the lofting way, but I've come across another snag, this time with texturing. I've applied different material id numbers to each segment of the spline that's used for the cross section. The outer segments have grass texture, inner has road etc.. I lofted that with a race track path. I'm using multi/sub object material for the track, with matching material id's.

The problem is for some reason only one texture is showing up for the whole loft, and for the love of god, I cannot figure out why..I convert the loft into an editable mesh, and I can see that all the faces have the same material id number, and not the material number I assigned them in the cross section before I lofted.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 27/08/03 - 4:14 AM Permalink

Nevermind, figured it out... [:)]

Posted by souri on
Forum

I'm working on a race track level in Max and I'm coming across some hurdles. The two methods of making a race track that I know of are:

Lofting - Making the road by lofting a path and shape. It's pretty limited because you can only have up to 100 path steps. If you're planning to have a decent sized track, this is nowhere near enough. Plus once the road is done, you have to create the environment (hills, fences etc) seperately to twist and turn the same way on each side of the track. One very big pro for this method though is that you can control the banking for corners..

Path deform - Make a long straight line of road and add a path deform modifyer with a spline of a track. This method I like much more because you have one straight road, put your environment on both sides of the road, slap on the path modifier, and the road/environment will twist, turn, rise, and fall as you've outlined in your spline of the track. However, one very big con with this method is that there's no way to control the way the corners bank, so some corners are pretty near unplayable (especially when they are like 45 degrees in angle, and it's banking off a cliff-edge. You'd almost have to crawl just to get past that turn without crashing into a barrier). It would be *ideal* if the path modifier had some banking options, but it doesn't.

If any one has any ideas, suggestions or better solutions, I'd very much appreciate it!

Submitted by Ninja on Tue, 19/08/03 - 10:21 PM Permalink

you can also do a polygon path extrude souri if you are using max 5 thats if your in editable poly mode........ and its easy to map as well as usual it generates mapping coordinates.

chris.. [:)]

Submitted by Brain on Tue, 19/08/03 - 10:21 PM Permalink

You could do the piece by piece method @:-P

Submitted by Major Clod on Tue, 19/08/03 - 11:04 PM Permalink

A technique I have used before is to make a spline for one edge of the road, then another spline for the opposite edge. Use something like the surface tools in max to fill in the road. You can also have additional splines along the sides of the track to create areas for grass etc... Remember you will need to have an equal number of vertices in the splines, and also have splines that go across the track to break it into quads. This would probably work alright for a proper racing circuit, however if you are aiming for a track that is more similar to something like NFS, you might want to use something different.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 21/08/03 - 7:42 PM Permalink

Major Clod, it'll probably be a bit of an effort to keep the road the exact same width on every corner and turn with that method. And yeh, it's going to be like a NFS track, with dips and hills - not going for a flat race track.
I could do it piece by piece, but that requires so much more work than the path deform modifier method, but I might have to do it that way if I can't find a better solution.
Polygon path extrude I haven't tried before. I'll muck about with it - but if I don't quite get it, can you explain it in a bit more detail? Thanks

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 21/08/03 - 9:44 PM Permalink

im pretty sure u will figure poly path extrude easily souri [:)] it is probably one of the best modelling features in max 5 and im pretty sure u will get a good curve and bends on the road but i dunno how many segements u can control on the curve [:)]

have fun [:)]

Submitted by Ionized on Thu, 21/08/03 - 11:09 PM Permalink

I worked on a few dirt track racing games and although they were fairly simple in terms of track length I imagine the principal would be the same. We used the lofting method. We would make a series of cross sections for the different banks and corners and then a spline for the path of the track. By using the 'create shape from edge' function it was pretty easy to make other lofts to create the terrain around the track. Make sure you create mapping co-ordinates for it too in the surface parameters of the loft.

I suppose to you could just split the track up into equal sections to get over the path step limit?

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 22/08/03 - 12:22 AM Permalink

oh that is quite nice info there ionized.. thank you .....I didnt even think about cross sections on tracks...that is very good method and clean as well [:P]

Submitted by souri on Fri, 22/08/03 - 11:40 AM Permalink

Is there a faster way to select all the edges from one side of the loft rather than selecting them one at a time?

Submitted by souri on Wed, 27/08/03 - 3:17 AM Permalink

I've decided to go the lofting way, but I've come across another snag, this time with texturing. I've applied different material id numbers to each segment of the spline that's used for the cross section. The outer segments have grass texture, inner has road etc.. I lofted that with a race track path. I'm using multi/sub object material for the track, with matching material id's.

The problem is for some reason only one texture is showing up for the whole loft, and for the love of god, I cannot figure out why..I convert the loft into an editable mesh, and I can see that all the faces have the same material id number, and not the material number I assigned them in the cross section before I lofted.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 27/08/03 - 4:14 AM Permalink

Nevermind, figured it out... [:)]