Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #8 - skipgamer - 26th july

Submitted by skipgamer on

Hi, I just found out about this modeller challenge yesterday, so I thought, why the hell not. Im no where near as good as the modeller's who I've already seen enter the challenge, but if im ever going to get better, I have to practice :P

Name: Thernys Silverkin.
Also known as: Thernys the Assassin

Background: Thernys was never expecting to be an assasin, she grew up with the dream of becomming an airline hostess. This plan went sour when she got in with the wrong crowd at high school. After years of being abused by a bad boyfriend, she decided to learn the martial art Ninjitsu. Not long after she dissapeared, and her boyfriend was mysteriously found dead in his own home. From the shadows she watches, killing those who are abusive, corrupt or evil. Be afraid, for if you ever see Thernys you would be lucky to be alive for long.

Description: Thernys has blue-green eyes, light skin and is fairly attractive. A medium build. Gothic style clothing + make-up. Her fighting style is relatively orthodox, but extremely deadly. She also has a habit of seducing opponents before killing them.

I've drawn some rough concepts on paper but my scanners playing up, and i cant find the pen for my tablet >.<

I'm going to be making the low poly first, starting with the basic shape of the character, then adding more details + fixing the shape as I go. Then I will make every thing 4-point polys, work on the flow and smooth the char, and add details for the normal map.

Don't be expecting anything great ^_^ im very "noob"

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/skipgamer/200671871221_test3.jpg…]
This is the first mock up of the low poly
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/skipgamer/2006725123546_UVss.jpg…]
This is the UV map of the low poly

Any comments + crit are greatly appreciated. ^_^

Submitted by Phlewid on Wed, 26/07/06 - 11:29 PM Permalink

Hi, Looks great.

Just a quick mention on UV map, Automatic unwrap tool such as pelt are realy fast and save a lot of hassel, BUT, becareful of uv streatching around the boarders (green outline) of torso and head.

Submitted by Neffy on Wed, 02/08/06 - 9:16 AM Permalink

If your not planing on doing alot of different things on one side id suggest cutting the torso and face in half, fliping them and plonking them directly on top of the other side. You could really get alot more space out of ur unwrap and enlargen other areas.

Submitted by skipgamer on Wed, 02/08/06 - 12:28 PM Permalink

Update: Haven't really done much, I've been bogged down with a few commission art pieces, tutoring, work and uni >.<
In my spare time I've just been learning the more advanced aspects of Zbrush and trying to finalise a concept image + pose for the final image. Not sure if I will bother with animations, as they are not required.
Gotta hurry up, I really really really want to meet this deadline. Should be able to get a few hours in this week. (and i still cant find my tablet pen, contemplating buying a new one ><)

@Neffy: Thanks for the tip, Ill definately do that with the face. Not the torso though, as I find it hard to make realistic looking creases in the fabric if they are mirrored on both sides. The pants won't be such an issue as it is going to be a dark colour.

@Phlewid: Yeh, I've heard of this pelt mapping, but haven't touched it yet. I only just got 3dxmax8 the other day (used to 3dsmax6), So I'm not exactly sure where all the new features are >.< (and my automatic unwrap option in the menu is greyed out) Sounds like I really should read up on it.

Posted by skipgamer on

Hi, I just found out about this modeller challenge yesterday, so I thought, why the hell not. Im no where near as good as the modeller's who I've already seen enter the challenge, but if im ever going to get better, I have to practice :P

Name: Thernys Silverkin.
Also known as: Thernys the Assassin

Background: Thernys was never expecting to be an assasin, she grew up with the dream of becomming an airline hostess. This plan went sour when she got in with the wrong crowd at high school. After years of being abused by a bad boyfriend, she decided to learn the martial art Ninjitsu. Not long after she dissapeared, and her boyfriend was mysteriously found dead in his own home. From the shadows she watches, killing those who are abusive, corrupt or evil. Be afraid, for if you ever see Thernys you would be lucky to be alive for long.

Description: Thernys has blue-green eyes, light skin and is fairly attractive. A medium build. Gothic style clothing + make-up. Her fighting style is relatively orthodox, but extremely deadly. She also has a habit of seducing opponents before killing them.

I've drawn some rough concepts on paper but my scanners playing up, and i cant find the pen for my tablet >.<

I'm going to be making the low poly first, starting with the basic shape of the character, then adding more details + fixing the shape as I go. Then I will make every thing 4-point polys, work on the flow and smooth the char, and add details for the normal map.

Don't be expecting anything great ^_^ im very "noob"

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/skipgamer/200671871221_test3.jpg…]
This is the first mock up of the low poly
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/skipgamer/2006725123546_UVss.jpg…]
This is the UV map of the low poly

Any comments + crit are greatly appreciated. ^_^

Submitted by Phlewid on Wed, 26/07/06 - 11:29 PM Permalink

Hi, Looks great.

Just a quick mention on UV map, Automatic unwrap tool such as pelt are realy fast and save a lot of hassel, BUT, becareful of uv streatching around the boarders (green outline) of torso and head.

Submitted by Neffy on Wed, 02/08/06 - 9:16 AM Permalink

If your not planing on doing alot of different things on one side id suggest cutting the torso and face in half, fliping them and plonking them directly on top of the other side. You could really get alot more space out of ur unwrap and enlargen other areas.

Submitted by skipgamer on Wed, 02/08/06 - 12:28 PM Permalink

Update: Haven't really done much, I've been bogged down with a few commission art pieces, tutoring, work and uni >.<
In my spare time I've just been learning the more advanced aspects of Zbrush and trying to finalise a concept image + pose for the final image. Not sure if I will bother with animations, as they are not required.
Gotta hurry up, I really really really want to meet this deadline. Should be able to get a few hours in this week. (and i still cant find my tablet pen, contemplating buying a new one ><)

@Neffy: Thanks for the tip, Ill definately do that with the face. Not the torso though, as I find it hard to make realistic looking creases in the fabric if they are mirrored on both sides. The pants won't be such an issue as it is going to be a dark colour.

@Phlewid: Yeh, I've heard of this pelt mapping, but haven't touched it yet. I only just got 3dxmax8 the other day (used to 3dsmax6), So I'm not exactly sure where all the new features are >.< (and my automatic unwrap option in the menu is greyed out) Sounds like I really should read up on it.