Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #6 -3d-xyz

Submitted by xyz on

I am really busy atm. But here goes.

I am thinking of something between a tree and a old women with saggy breasts that reach to the floor. I would like to combine parts of steam punk into this as well.

Will draw a concept at work if I get a chance.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 20/07/04 - 1:53 AM Permalink

I'm already laughing :D

You have to do this one now :)

Submitted by xyz on Tue, 20/07/04 - 8:07 PM Permalink

yeah, night of the living dead style - evil but funny.

Submitted by xyz on Tue, 20/07/04 - 10:20 PM Permalink

This is a character from a steam punk world. People are punished in this world by doctors who can fuse flesh with metal or other types of flesh. The character is blind, using acute hearing to sense players. His lips are sewn shut to silence his constant screams (eats through a tube in his throat).

The player can trick him with sound. He uses ramming attacks to kill.

I might add some kind of machine on his back for rockets or blinding weapons (smoke grenade).

My thinking in making this character is that I can animate him easily and still add high detail to his mesh. He also has a mix of metal and flesh which will show off certain effects in game.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/xyz/200471922946_boss.jpg"]boss.jpg[/url]
62.08?KB

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/xyz/200471922946_boss.jpg[/img]

Submitted by xyz on Wed, 21/07/04 - 3:36 AM Permalink

My 2nd concept.

Inspired by Britney Spears.

This is a junky from hell. She has 3 breasts, and attacks with either a dirty needle or an unborn baby attached to an ubilicle cord (like a mace). She will also have bare bones, undead style.

I am pondering attaching the baby to her back and using it as a scream attack. sudo total recal.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/xyz/200472032944_britney_the_sma…"]britney_the_smacky.jpg[/url]
114.6?KB

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/xyz/200472032944_britney_the_sma…]

Submitted by conundrum on Wed, 21/07/04 - 4:30 AM Permalink

looking good, makes me think of the umbilical cord scen from freddy got fingered. i really like the previous concept, i can just see a bunch of them trundling behind you, only problrm might be the high polycount. keep it up, both could end up really good minions.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 21/07/04 - 5:50 AM Permalink

I love the Junkie idea. I was thinking along similar lines with the baby mace. Ended up ditching it as I thought soem people may find it too grotesque :)

Submitted by xyz on Wed, 21/07/04 - 6:05 AM Permalink

yeah, it's a fine line in horror. I thought that too. I was thinking, it would be creepy but the judges would prob say that the game might be banned by the right to lifers in the usa if the baby mace was included. But still...I might graft it onto her back instead.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:08 AM Permalink

BABY MACE BABY MACE ... ROFL!!! ahhhhhhh ok... anyhow, yes that looks fitting for this competition, both ideas! although the baby mace sounds.. grotesque!

Submitted by tojo on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:09 AM Permalink

that is a way cool idea.......... i would definately play a game where a freak-show undead prostitute chased me around the room swing an unborn baby and trying to stab me with a dirty needle......

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:23 PM Permalink

baby mace, that's sick but awsome!

Submitted by arcane on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:06 PM Permalink

Great idea - It's good to see an alternate line of thought.

Submitted by xyz on Thu, 22/07/04 - 2:59 AM Permalink

ok at first I was not sure if the first concept fitted the guideliness, so I designed the 2nd one. Now I am not sure which one to go for?

Which would a games company find more impressive ? ie. I want to get out of graphic design in the near future.

Cheers.

Submitted by conundrum on Thu, 22/07/04 - 3:10 AM Permalink

i cant speak for a game company but as a gamer i would say the first character, i think it would be more visually appealing and plays on the whole speak/hear/see no evil. If used as a minion i believe it would work well. My main problem with the second idea is that it loses its effect once it is no longer topical. Its very funny now in light of britney spears, as you said, but in the long run i dont see it being as effective as your first idea. my two cents

Submitted by xyz on Thu, 22/07/04 - 4:47 AM Permalink

Thats some good and thoughtful advise, many thanks.

Submitted by Jackablade on Thu, 22/07/04 - 9:10 AM Permalink

I don't think teenage pregnancy will become untopical any time soon. Theres no real reason to suggest that your character is Britney Spears (in fact I'd suggest you avoid it). She'll make a far more interesting character. The bloke on the wheels feels a little generic and would be trickier to make stand out in the crowd.

Submitted by xyz on Fri, 23/07/04 - 8:56 PM Permalink

hm, interesting. Yes thats another valid point.

Submitted by xyz on Sun, 25/07/04 - 6:34 PM Permalink

In light of watching Hanibal, and the amount of recent female characters, I am going to model my first concept.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 26/07/04 - 4:38 AM Permalink

heh that was my fave anyway, most people seemed to prefer the girl though :S

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/07/04 - 8:22 AM Permalink

hurray for rough outs, looks like the head could be bigger tho

Submitted by xyz on Fri, 30/07/04 - 8:39 AM Permalink

I have just decided to cut off one of his arms. The remaining arm will be sewn to a joint conected to the wheel. His back will be an empty carcas, and his lips will be sewn to his chest. And the head will be bigger and more comic.

Oh and I might add 2 giant ears to his back like wings. That should do it.

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 30/07/04 - 10:21 AM Permalink

heh, i like the idea of his lip being sewed to his chest, you should try to exagerate it a lot. also im not so sure about the ears (although i havnt seen them yet[:)]) i like his head more streamlined. keep it up though, its nice proportions

Submitted by xyz on Fri, 20/08/04 - 11:11 PM Permalink

I finally got a few hours to work on my model. I decided to change back to my other concept of the smacky from hell but blend it a bit with the wheel chair man.

She will use a retractable baby mace to attack, with a terrible screaming animation when the baby is ripped from her. I will partially dress her in hospital atire - backless gown, and maybe some platform shoes.

Her lip is nailed to her chin.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/xyz/200481923940_britney_the_sma…]

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/xyz/200481923940_britney_the_sma…"]britney_the_smacky02.jpg[/url]
40.12 KB

Posted by xyz on

I am really busy atm. But here goes.

I am thinking of something between a tree and a old women with saggy breasts that reach to the floor. I would like to combine parts of steam punk into this as well.

Will draw a concept at work if I get a chance.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 20/07/04 - 1:53 AM Permalink

I'm already laughing :D

You have to do this one now :)

Submitted by xyz on Tue, 20/07/04 - 8:07 PM Permalink

yeah, night of the living dead style - evil but funny.

Submitted by xyz on Tue, 20/07/04 - 10:20 PM Permalink

This is a character from a steam punk world. People are punished in this world by doctors who can fuse flesh with metal or other types of flesh. The character is blind, using acute hearing to sense players. His lips are sewn shut to silence his constant screams (eats through a tube in his throat).

The player can trick him with sound. He uses ramming attacks to kill.

I might add some kind of machine on his back for rockets or blinding weapons (smoke grenade).

My thinking in making this character is that I can animate him easily and still add high detail to his mesh. He also has a mix of metal and flesh which will show off certain effects in game.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/xyz/200471922946_boss.jpg"]boss.jpg[/url]
62.08?KB

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/xyz/200471922946_boss.jpg[/img]

Submitted by xyz on Wed, 21/07/04 - 3:36 AM Permalink

My 2nd concept.

Inspired by Britney Spears.

This is a junky from hell. She has 3 breasts, and attacks with either a dirty needle or an unborn baby attached to an ubilicle cord (like a mace). She will also have bare bones, undead style.

I am pondering attaching the baby to her back and using it as a scream attack. sudo total recal.

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/xyz/200472032944_britney_the_sma…"]britney_the_smacky.jpg[/url]
114.6?KB

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/xyz/200472032944_britney_the_sma…]

Submitted by conundrum on Wed, 21/07/04 - 4:30 AM Permalink

looking good, makes me think of the umbilical cord scen from freddy got fingered. i really like the previous concept, i can just see a bunch of them trundling behind you, only problrm might be the high polycount. keep it up, both could end up really good minions.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 21/07/04 - 5:50 AM Permalink

I love the Junkie idea. I was thinking along similar lines with the baby mace. Ended up ditching it as I thought soem people may find it too grotesque :)

Submitted by xyz on Wed, 21/07/04 - 6:05 AM Permalink

yeah, it's a fine line in horror. I thought that too. I was thinking, it would be creepy but the judges would prob say that the game might be banned by the right to lifers in the usa if the baby mace was included. But still...I might graft it onto her back instead.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:08 AM Permalink

BABY MACE BABY MACE ... ROFL!!! ahhhhhhh ok... anyhow, yes that looks fitting for this competition, both ideas! although the baby mace sounds.. grotesque!

Submitted by tojo on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:09 AM Permalink

that is a way cool idea.......... i would definately play a game where a freak-show undead prostitute chased me around the room swing an unborn baby and trying to stab me with a dirty needle......

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 21/07/04 - 9:23 PM Permalink

baby mace, that's sick but awsome!

Submitted by arcane on Wed, 21/07/04 - 10:06 PM Permalink

Great idea - It's good to see an alternate line of thought.

Submitted by xyz on Thu, 22/07/04 - 2:59 AM Permalink

ok at first I was not sure if the first concept fitted the guideliness, so I designed the 2nd one. Now I am not sure which one to go for?

Which would a games company find more impressive ? ie. I want to get out of graphic design in the near future.

Cheers.

Submitted by conundrum on Thu, 22/07/04 - 3:10 AM Permalink

i cant speak for a game company but as a gamer i would say the first character, i think it would be more visually appealing and plays on the whole speak/hear/see no evil. If used as a minion i believe it would work well. My main problem with the second idea is that it loses its effect once it is no longer topical. Its very funny now in light of britney spears, as you said, but in the long run i dont see it being as effective as your first idea. my two cents

Submitted by xyz on Thu, 22/07/04 - 4:47 AM Permalink

Thats some good and thoughtful advise, many thanks.

Submitted by Jackablade on Thu, 22/07/04 - 9:10 AM Permalink

I don't think teenage pregnancy will become untopical any time soon. Theres no real reason to suggest that your character is Britney Spears (in fact I'd suggest you avoid it). She'll make a far more interesting character. The bloke on the wheels feels a little generic and would be trickier to make stand out in the crowd.

Submitted by xyz on Fri, 23/07/04 - 8:56 PM Permalink

hm, interesting. Yes thats another valid point.

Submitted by xyz on Sun, 25/07/04 - 6:34 PM Permalink

In light of watching Hanibal, and the amount of recent female characters, I am going to model my first concept.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 26/07/04 - 4:38 AM Permalink

heh that was my fave anyway, most people seemed to prefer the girl though :S

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/07/04 - 8:22 AM Permalink

hurray for rough outs, looks like the head could be bigger tho

Submitted by xyz on Fri, 30/07/04 - 8:39 AM Permalink

I have just decided to cut off one of his arms. The remaining arm will be sewn to a joint conected to the wheel. His back will be an empty carcas, and his lips will be sewn to his chest. And the head will be bigger and more comic.

Oh and I might add 2 giant ears to his back like wings. That should do it.

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 30/07/04 - 10:21 AM Permalink

heh, i like the idea of his lip being sewed to his chest, you should try to exagerate it a lot. also im not so sure about the ears (although i havnt seen them yet[:)]) i like his head more streamlined. keep it up though, its nice proportions

Submitted by xyz on Fri, 20/08/04 - 11:11 PM Permalink

I finally got a few hours to work on my model. I decided to change back to my other concept of the smacky from hell but blend it a bit with the wheel chair man.

She will use a retractable baby mace to attack, with a terrible screaming animation when the baby is ripped from her. I will partially dress her in hospital atire - backless gown, and maybe some platform shoes.

Her lip is nailed to her chin.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/xyz/200481923940_britney_the_sma…]

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/xyz/200481923940_britney_the_sma…"]britney_the_smacky02.jpg[/url]
40.12 KB