Skip to main content

Sumea challenge #6 -3d- Thardswrothe -Challenger21

Yes, my first comp submission! Wee! Anyway, here?s the concept I quickly put together. You must ignore its badness, it was quite quick and messy, but it gives you the general idea. I want a tablet damnit !

I?ve titled the character for now ?The Twins?. Basically it?s 2 ?fused? females, one of which is quite dead, and another that is quite, not dead, and scary like. The alive one controls the arms of the dead one, so she can attack from front and back. Both their legs are stumped and joined to giant blades, and are both used while walking ? like a four legged creature. This is simply a rough concept, and I?ll probly change a few things when I get to modelling the twins, and certainly make it allot darker and scarier. Thank frugal we get a high tri-count!

Anywho, won?t bore you all any longer, I will submit some model shots when I get some time to do some modelling on it. Comments welcome [:D]!

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Thardswrothe/20047189583_horrorc…]

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 19/07/04 - 6:20 PM Permalink

So many knives, it's a great concept, this comp is bringin out heaps of people who i've never even seen on the forums before. Great Stuff.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 20/07/04 - 2:37 AM Permalink

HeH! Love the concept, cant wait to see this one. [:D]

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 20/07/04 - 6:16 AM Permalink

on the plus side she wouldn't be too fast so she'd be pretty easy to run away from!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 20/07/04 - 7:05 AM Permalink

thatd be creepy as hell tho to see that thing make an effort to come at you with a knife if it was well animated though, stumbling everywhere and everything, great concept.

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Tue, 20/07/04 - 10:40 AM Permalink

Hehe. Thanks peoples! I wouldn't be so hasty to assume she wouldn?t be fast though ? perhaps if you're talking realistically, but common, it's horror [:D]! And perhaps it?s a good thing she doesn?t look fast ? nice form of deception there [:)]

I like the stumbling arround idea for a normal walking animation, and I might just use that if I get time to do some animations (If you don?t mind MoonUnit). But I envisage when she's attacking she gets quite ?feisty?, somewhat fast, and moves allot like a spider, despite the actuall anatomy of her legs being fairly different to that of a spiders'. I'd say she can also extend her legs, to more of a standing upright position, and jump at you when you're far away.

What?s one's imagination of the horrific when limited to that which involves logic [:P] Hehe? Thanks again!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 20/07/04 - 10:14 PM Permalink

cours i dont mind, itd be even cooler if she saw you coming and tried to come at you then fell over and started swearing XP

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Fri, 23/07/04 - 10:42 AM Permalink

Ok ok, Here?s a high poly character I just finished in Maya named ?Mr Tickles?. Tis interesting that just as I finished this off this comp came along. Would?ve been pretty cool to add him to the comp., but of course, he?s way to high poly and it?d be against the rules. But anywho, just thought I?d share with ya?ll horror lovers (well, he?s kinda scary).

Link (more renders below also):
http://www.sumea.com.au/sprofilepic.asp?pic=331_mt_sumea2.jpg&id=331&ne…

Submitted by Jackablade on Fri, 23/07/04 - 11:45 AM Permalink

I dunno about the toothy jaw on the living sister. I reckon its kind of letting down what is otherwise a cool concept.

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Fri, 23/07/04 - 9:11 PM Permalink

Thnx for your comment Jackablade. Do you think she shouldn't have big teeth? Do you think she'd be better if she had normal teeth?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 23/07/04 - 9:42 PM Permalink

personally i like the toothy jaw, but i like cartoony concepts. Oh and mr tickles rules :D

Submitted by Jackablade on Sat, 24/07/04 - 10:51 AM Permalink

Not necessarily normal teeth as such, but the big long tusks obscuring half the face just don't work as far as I'm concerned. Some of the problem stems from the fact that she has teeth growing from her jaw bone much to far back. while you're obviously going for a certain amount of stylisation, I think you'd be best to keep the teeth in the teeth area of the jaw, even if you're going to make them long and sharp. It could work I guess if you were to give her a sort of sharky looking mouth.

I think its just a matter of need for a little more conceptual experimentation.

Submitted by palantir on Sat, 24/07/04 - 8:05 PM Permalink

Mr Tickles is awesome! Looks like a lot of hard work went into it ? and it sure paid off. It could just about be the mascot for this challenge!

I kind of agree about the teeth on this concept. I think it could look better if they were maybe scaled down a little. The back teeth look like they are poking into her eye! [:P] Then again, maybe you have a particular vision for this that we aren?t seeing.
Oh, and I think those knives should have some blood and gore on them for that ?I just gutted something and your next? look. [:D]

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Wed, 04/08/04 - 6:25 AM Permalink

Thanks for your latest comments all. And yes, the teeth are perhaps a bit to big ? the concept is really quite comical, the final will be somewhat less so ? and I have quite a few revisions to the concept that I wont bother posting.

Anyway, had time today to do some modelling on my char. Screenshot attached ? the screenies a bit lazy, but gives you the general idea. Around 3600 tris all up so far, so I still have a reasonable amount left. Have a list on things I need to change on it - including adding more details/shape to the limbs and neck. And I obviously have to change their postures a bit to join them together and, well, heaps of stuff. Will get more done when I have some time.

Appreciate any c&c! Particularly on mesh construction.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Thardswrothe/2004836252_progress…]

Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Thardswrothe/2004836252_progress…"]progressrender1.jpg[/url]
95.33?KB

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 04/08/04 - 7:04 AM Permalink

wow, that looks really good. Im not much of a 3d artist so I really cant crit ya sorry. Not that I can see anything that needs fixing. Keep it up :)

Submitted by shath on Wed, 04/08/04 - 9:50 AM Permalink

nice work adu looks good very clean skirt

Submitted by Lucas on Wed, 04/08/04 - 7:51 PM Permalink

Nice work, this is properly something that your still working on, just in case you haven't noticed it yet. The concept drawing has the figures touching at the lower back, giveing them a fourced together look. Where your model at the moment has them touching at the upper back, which makes them look like they aced their finishing school. Other then that the model is fantastic, I especially chest and neck area.

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Thu, 12/08/04 - 1:36 PM Permalink

Thnx Makk, Shath and Lucas. And yes Lucas, as I said in my last post the way they're sitting against each other will indeed be changed. [:)]

Anywho, half way mark so I thought I should get off my arse and get the modelling over and done with so I can relax and put allot of work into textures. I've done some slight adjustments to my design, and I?ve modelled most of the bits and pieces for the character. I'll post the work I've done on the heads so far - but I'm probly not gonna bother posting any more screen grabs until I'm pretty much done with the modelling ? cause I?m lazy. As usual these aren?t necessarily finished meshes, and will be tweaked/cleaned later (particularly the skull).

Feedback muchly appreciated as usual!

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Thardswrothe/200481113347_progre…]

Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Thardswrothe/200481113347_progre…"]progressrender2.jpg[/url]
76.6 KB

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Sun, 22/08/04 - 9:38 AM Permalink

The twins are now conjoined! Everyone excited? What's that? No? Hmm.... I have to agree. Anywho, model seems to be approaching the completion stage, with alterations to the design and a few ploys left over (probly to be added to her skirt) C&C appreciated fellow sumeans!

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Thardswrothe/200482193659_progre…] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Thardswrothe/200482193659_progre…"]progressrender3.jpg[/url]
131.45 KB

Submitted by tojo on Sun, 22/08/04 - 11:23 AM Permalink

i think this has turned out great so far dude!!!...... no real critisism ..... i think you have definately made something that is 'horror' and done a great job as well....... i especially like the head with the hair.. very evil.... !

every time i look at some ones model in this comp..... i kinda think to myself ... what would it be like in a game and imagine what it would be like if it were chasing me down some dark alley..... or through an abandoned shopping mall...... and i think this model would truly freak you out!!!

keep up the good work...... yours is one of my favourites!

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 22/08/04 - 6:51 PM Permalink

Hey cool. I was very unsure about the skeleton head in you concept, but it come out really well. Those hooks would have to chafe just a little :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 22/08/04 - 8:19 PM Permalink

hey wow thats looking great, cant wait to see that one textured. Those flesh hooks are particulary nasty

Submitted by animal on Sun, 22/08/04 - 9:21 PM Permalink

wow, that really is creepy, especially the half dead siamese twin thing, and those hooks look very painful. It would be intersting to see you make a walk cycle for this after you've finished. You could try use the last 150 polys to see if you can make the skeleton neck look more like spine bones. The changed you've made from the concept are really cool too.

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Mon, 23/08/04 - 12:44 AM Permalink

Thanks all for your comments! I would list out all your names but you know who are are [:)]
animal - yeah, i should probably try and betterise them, perhaps not to make them correct, but I'll at least make them a bit less blocky like.

btw, Who agrees that a games company should do a horror game and hire us all to do the art *wink wink* [:D]

Now, to layout my uvs and get texturing!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 23/08/04 - 6:59 AM Permalink

lol if they took the content from this competition itd be a very bizzare and random game with small children and giant hulking masses of muscle and spikes in the mix :P

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 23/08/04 - 7:19 AM Permalink

hehe - now that's incentive: Winner gets a job!

Excellent work Thardswrothe. It will be interesting to see how you approach the texturing.
Keep up the good work.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 20/09/04 - 9:50 AM Permalink

Nice work. You're challenger #21!

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Mon, 20/09/04 - 10:14 AM Permalink

Oh, in all the franticness I forgot to say?. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! *insert other words of support here* Seen some good stuff, hope to see you all in the next comp!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 20/09/04 - 9:27 PM Permalink

good luck to you too :D
scary stuff

Yes, my first comp submission! Wee! Anyway, here?s the concept I quickly put together. You must ignore its badness, it was quite quick and messy, but it gives you the general idea. I want a tablet damnit !

I?ve titled the character for now ?The Twins?. Basically it?s 2 ?fused? females, one of which is quite dead, and another that is quite, not dead, and scary like. The alive one controls the arms of the dead one, so she can attack from front and back. Both their legs are stumped and joined to giant blades, and are both used while walking ? like a four legged creature. This is simply a rough concept, and I?ll probly change a few things when I get to modelling the twins, and certainly make it allot darker and scarier. Thank frugal we get a high tri-count!

Anywho, won?t bore you all any longer, I will submit some model shots when I get some time to do some modelling on it. Comments welcome [:D]!

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Thardswrothe/20047189583_horrorc…]

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 19/07/04 - 6:20 PM Permalink

So many knives, it's a great concept, this comp is bringin out heaps of people who i've never even seen on the forums before. Great Stuff.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 20/07/04 - 2:37 AM Permalink

HeH! Love the concept, cant wait to see this one. [:D]

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 20/07/04 - 6:16 AM Permalink

on the plus side she wouldn't be too fast so she'd be pretty easy to run away from!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 20/07/04 - 7:05 AM Permalink

thatd be creepy as hell tho to see that thing make an effort to come at you with a knife if it was well animated though, stumbling everywhere and everything, great concept.

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Tue, 20/07/04 - 10:40 AM Permalink

Hehe. Thanks peoples! I wouldn't be so hasty to assume she wouldn?t be fast though ? perhaps if you're talking realistically, but common, it's horror [:D]! And perhaps it?s a good thing she doesn?t look fast ? nice form of deception there [:)]

I like the stumbling arround idea for a normal walking animation, and I might just use that if I get time to do some animations (If you don?t mind MoonUnit). But I envisage when she's attacking she gets quite ?feisty?, somewhat fast, and moves allot like a spider, despite the actuall anatomy of her legs being fairly different to that of a spiders'. I'd say she can also extend her legs, to more of a standing upright position, and jump at you when you're far away.

What?s one's imagination of the horrific when limited to that which involves logic [:P] Hehe? Thanks again!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 20/07/04 - 10:14 PM Permalink

cours i dont mind, itd be even cooler if she saw you coming and tried to come at you then fell over and started swearing XP

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Fri, 23/07/04 - 10:42 AM Permalink

Ok ok, Here?s a high poly character I just finished in Maya named ?Mr Tickles?. Tis interesting that just as I finished this off this comp came along. Would?ve been pretty cool to add him to the comp., but of course, he?s way to high poly and it?d be against the rules. But anywho, just thought I?d share with ya?ll horror lovers (well, he?s kinda scary).

Link (more renders below also):
http://www.sumea.com.au/sprofilepic.asp?pic=331_mt_sumea2.jpg&id=331&ne…

Submitted by Jackablade on Fri, 23/07/04 - 11:45 AM Permalink

I dunno about the toothy jaw on the living sister. I reckon its kind of letting down what is otherwise a cool concept.

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Fri, 23/07/04 - 9:11 PM Permalink

Thnx for your comment Jackablade. Do you think she shouldn't have big teeth? Do you think she'd be better if she had normal teeth?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 23/07/04 - 9:42 PM Permalink

personally i like the toothy jaw, but i like cartoony concepts. Oh and mr tickles rules :D

Submitted by Jackablade on Sat, 24/07/04 - 10:51 AM Permalink

Not necessarily normal teeth as such, but the big long tusks obscuring half the face just don't work as far as I'm concerned. Some of the problem stems from the fact that she has teeth growing from her jaw bone much to far back. while you're obviously going for a certain amount of stylisation, I think you'd be best to keep the teeth in the teeth area of the jaw, even if you're going to make them long and sharp. It could work I guess if you were to give her a sort of sharky looking mouth.

I think its just a matter of need for a little more conceptual experimentation.

Submitted by palantir on Sat, 24/07/04 - 8:05 PM Permalink

Mr Tickles is awesome! Looks like a lot of hard work went into it ? and it sure paid off. It could just about be the mascot for this challenge!

I kind of agree about the teeth on this concept. I think it could look better if they were maybe scaled down a little. The back teeth look like they are poking into her eye! [:P] Then again, maybe you have a particular vision for this that we aren?t seeing.
Oh, and I think those knives should have some blood and gore on them for that ?I just gutted something and your next? look. [:D]

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Wed, 04/08/04 - 6:25 AM Permalink

Thanks for your latest comments all. And yes, the teeth are perhaps a bit to big ? the concept is really quite comical, the final will be somewhat less so ? and I have quite a few revisions to the concept that I wont bother posting.

Anyway, had time today to do some modelling on my char. Screenshot attached ? the screenies a bit lazy, but gives you the general idea. Around 3600 tris all up so far, so I still have a reasonable amount left. Have a list on things I need to change on it - including adding more details/shape to the limbs and neck. And I obviously have to change their postures a bit to join them together and, well, heaps of stuff. Will get more done when I have some time.

Appreciate any c&c! Particularly on mesh construction.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Thardswrothe/2004836252_progress…]

Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Thardswrothe/2004836252_progress…"]progressrender1.jpg[/url]
95.33?KB

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 04/08/04 - 7:04 AM Permalink

wow, that looks really good. Im not much of a 3d artist so I really cant crit ya sorry. Not that I can see anything that needs fixing. Keep it up :)

Submitted by shath on Wed, 04/08/04 - 9:50 AM Permalink

nice work adu looks good very clean skirt

Submitted by Lucas on Wed, 04/08/04 - 7:51 PM Permalink

Nice work, this is properly something that your still working on, just in case you haven't noticed it yet. The concept drawing has the figures touching at the lower back, giveing them a fourced together look. Where your model at the moment has them touching at the upper back, which makes them look like they aced their finishing school. Other then that the model is fantastic, I especially chest and neck area.

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Thu, 12/08/04 - 1:36 PM Permalink

Thnx Makk, Shath and Lucas. And yes Lucas, as I said in my last post the way they're sitting against each other will indeed be changed. [:)]

Anywho, half way mark so I thought I should get off my arse and get the modelling over and done with so I can relax and put allot of work into textures. I've done some slight adjustments to my design, and I?ve modelled most of the bits and pieces for the character. I'll post the work I've done on the heads so far - but I'm probly not gonna bother posting any more screen grabs until I'm pretty much done with the modelling ? cause I?m lazy. As usual these aren?t necessarily finished meshes, and will be tweaked/cleaned later (particularly the skull).

Feedback muchly appreciated as usual!

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Thardswrothe/200481113347_progre…]

Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Thardswrothe/200481113347_progre…"]progressrender2.jpg[/url]
76.6 KB

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Sun, 22/08/04 - 9:38 AM Permalink

The twins are now conjoined! Everyone excited? What's that? No? Hmm.... I have to agree. Anywho, model seems to be approaching the completion stage, with alterations to the design and a few ploys left over (probly to be added to her skirt) C&C appreciated fellow sumeans!

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Thardswrothe/200482193659_progre…] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Thardswrothe/200482193659_progre…"]progressrender3.jpg[/url]
131.45 KB

Submitted by tojo on Sun, 22/08/04 - 11:23 AM Permalink

i think this has turned out great so far dude!!!...... no real critisism ..... i think you have definately made something that is 'horror' and done a great job as well....... i especially like the head with the hair.. very evil.... !

every time i look at some ones model in this comp..... i kinda think to myself ... what would it be like in a game and imagine what it would be like if it were chasing me down some dark alley..... or through an abandoned shopping mall...... and i think this model would truly freak you out!!!

keep up the good work...... yours is one of my favourites!

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 22/08/04 - 6:51 PM Permalink

Hey cool. I was very unsure about the skeleton head in you concept, but it come out really well. Those hooks would have to chafe just a little :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 22/08/04 - 8:19 PM Permalink

hey wow thats looking great, cant wait to see that one textured. Those flesh hooks are particulary nasty

Submitted by animal on Sun, 22/08/04 - 9:21 PM Permalink

wow, that really is creepy, especially the half dead siamese twin thing, and those hooks look very painful. It would be intersting to see you make a walk cycle for this after you've finished. You could try use the last 150 polys to see if you can make the skeleton neck look more like spine bones. The changed you've made from the concept are really cool too.

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Mon, 23/08/04 - 12:44 AM Permalink

Thanks all for your comments! I would list out all your names but you know who are are [:)]
animal - yeah, i should probably try and betterise them, perhaps not to make them correct, but I'll at least make them a bit less blocky like.

btw, Who agrees that a games company should do a horror game and hire us all to do the art *wink wink* [:D]

Now, to layout my uvs and get texturing!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 23/08/04 - 6:59 AM Permalink

lol if they took the content from this competition itd be a very bizzare and random game with small children and giant hulking masses of muscle and spikes in the mix :P

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 23/08/04 - 7:19 AM Permalink

hehe - now that's incentive: Winner gets a job!

Excellent work Thardswrothe. It will be interesting to see how you approach the texturing.
Keep up the good work.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 20/09/04 - 9:50 AM Permalink

Nice work. You're challenger #21!

Submitted by Thardswrothe on Mon, 20/09/04 - 10:14 AM Permalink

Oh, in all the franticness I forgot to say?. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! *insert other words of support here* Seen some good stuff, hope to see you all in the next comp!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 20/09/04 - 9:27 PM Permalink

good luck to you too :D
scary stuff