Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #6 -3D- Schlumppy

Submitted by Schlumppy on

[IMG] http://daniel-schlumpp.customer.netspace.net.au/Centerror600x450%232.jpg [/IMG]
[IMG] http://daniel-schlumpp.customer.netspace.net.au/Centerror600x450.jpg [/IMG]

Here is my submission for this challenge. This is a little some that I drew last month that might be suitable for this challenge. I still want add some more details to it. The character is bit like a centaur but is made up from a human torso attached to some kind of demon dog.

Schlumpy

Submitted by conundrum on Sun, 18/07/04 - 10:01 AM Permalink

looks great so far, although i think you could make the mans torso attach directly to the pillar as it looks a little strange with it clutching its sides, looking forward to the modelling.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 18/07/04 - 7:45 PM Permalink

Great concept, great name as well, Can't waiit to see it modelled.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 18/07/04 - 10:14 PM Permalink

Very Doom-esque, I like this concept - Well done Schlumppy.

Submitted by conundrum on Mon, 19/07/04 - 5:42 AM Permalink

looks superb so far, i especially like the face, no critiques right now, keep it up

Submitted by Sinister on Mon, 19/07/04 - 10:13 PM Permalink

Great concept, befittng name and excellent start to the model. I'll be watching with interest.

Submitted by RasTuS on Tue, 20/07/04 - 6:00 AM Permalink

post some better wires and i think with tmmount of poly's in there u could define the muscles a bit more and work on the feet i want to see if u can make em look as good as the 2nd concept

i like it better than the firse more definition in the monster

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 20/07/04 - 7:05 AM Permalink

Hey Dan. I agree with Rastus about making it more muscley. Like your concept. His legs also look a little bow-legged. Looks like you could just run up, kick him on the inside of his leg and watch him fall flat to the ground :) And make it look more evil or fierce. It looks to cute :D

Submitted by Schlumppy on Tue, 20/07/04 - 8:22 AM Permalink

Rastus and Aven: Beside the rough base mesh I haven?t put much definition in to his arms yet, planing on doing so soon. I must agree he does look a bit bow legged, have to fix that. Aven, yeah he doesn?t look as evil as I wanted him to, maybe when he is textured that will help.

I have just read Malus comment in the Sticky thread about some concepts not really being survival/horror. I think that I?m one of them, my guy is more DOOM 3 than Resident Evil or Silent Hill. So I have started a new concept. I will however finish Centerror. Here is my new concept. He is a gardener that has been taken over by his favourite plant.

Schlumppy

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Schlumppy/200471981419_Sumea6Sch…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 20/07/04 - 9:31 AM Permalink

looks cool, i suppose its fits the theme more, the doom feel was certainly with your last model.

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 20/07/04 - 7:15 PM Permalink

Ahh, now that?s a good submission for this challenge ? right on topic! It?s a clever idea. I?d like to see how you plan on doing his face. Will the plant life be evident? Or will he be more like a plant infected zombie type guy?

Cool idea [:)]

It?s good that you plan on finishing that other monster also. He was coming along nicely.

Submitted by xyz on Tue, 20/07/04 - 10:44 PM Permalink

It reminds me of a character in a game which looked like a friendly. It asked for help, then turned nasty. A good idea but it only works once? I think it was a child.

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 21/07/04 - 2:15 AM Permalink

your first concept is cool, but i agree, the second one is much more in with the theme.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 25/07/04 - 5:41 AM Permalink

I really like it Schlumpy - the plant aspect is really quite different from the norm of undead / zombie types that we see in resi evil / silent hill.

Submitted by LiveWire on Sun, 25/07/04 - 5:54 AM Permalink

i like it, perhaps make his veins poping up or somethig in places and make them green like that plant is spreading further. looks awsome

Submitted by Jackablade on Sun, 25/07/04 - 10:16 AM Permalink

I think I liked the one with the flytrap in his back better. Good design though, far better than the first one methinks.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 26/07/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

great work, should keep the (errm whadda ya call em...) hedge trimmer things though

Submitted by Schlumppy on Mon, 26/07/04 - 10:29 AM Permalink

Here is another concept that I did last night. This picture is for a front reference to model from. I think I have set myself a challenge with the vines, I can see them taking up a lot of polyies and should be interesting to model. I have started the model, it is fairly low in polyies at the moment. He doesn?t look too scary at the moment have to work on that.

Schlumppy

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Schlumppy/2004725102638_Sumea6Sc…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Schlumppy/200472510270_Sumea6Sch…"[/img]

Submitted by Jackablade on Mon, 26/07/04 - 10:41 AM Permalink

Modelling an 8000 poly model in tris isn't going to be much fun. This'll go smoother if you work in quads.

Your new design is looking very swish. I''ll look forward to seeing your progress.

Submitted by Discmage on Mon, 26/07/04 - 10:23 PM Permalink

I really like the idea and the sketch is pretty cool.

My only crit would be to take away the mouth in a mouth on the torso...the long snake like one...I think it's a bit overkill in my personal opinion...but I could be wrong. If you look into actual plants like that (I forget their name) maybe there is enough detail in their mouth area to reduce it to the real version?? Like snagging spindles or poison barbs. That way the rest of him could pull in his prey and stab/tangle him until he can subdue them....

...or something :)

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 28/07/04 - 5:26 AM Permalink

quote:I never realised just how much 8000 polys is for making a model. I must say I?m a bit out of my depth, most of the models I make are no more that 3k.

And thats the reason I set it, I noticed everyone (myself included) had a nice little groove they liked to rest in. [:)]

Tis a challenge after all. [^]

Submitted by Schlumppy on Fri, 30/07/04 - 4:49 AM Permalink

I decided to concentrate on the face for the moment, I think I was getting a bit too far head of myself with the previous mesh, there wasn?t enough detail in it. I must thank my sister for suggesting that his tongue could be like the thing coming out of his chest. I think it looks good and makes him scarier. The poly count is abit high at 5.5k, but it shouldn't be too hard to reduce later. Next I?m going to add vines to one side of his face. Any comments?

Schlumppy

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Schlumppy/20047294447_Sumea6Schl…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/07/04 - 8:24 AM Permalink

lookin great, cant really fault that face

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 30/07/04 - 5:56 PM Permalink

I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the plant coming out from his mouth. Mainly as most creatures look very odd with really long tongues that they can't store in their mouth (Killer Tongue for reference). It may also be a bit too much if you still decide to keep the one in his chest.

Submitted by Schlumppy on Sun, 01/08/04 - 4:35 AM Permalink

After seeing Delmo?s model my first thought was ?Game over Man, Game over!? Then my next thought was I can?t wait to see everyone else?s, for Delmo has defiantly raised the bar. Now we are all going to have to work a lot harder. But in the end we are all going to have some really good models that are sure to impress people. So here is an update of my work. I have reached the 8k mark. Now he has legs and a vine arm. Going to start his stumpy leg next

Aven: I?m going to leave the tongue the way it is for the moment, for I can always remove it later. I might though change the head/mouth of the planet so that it looks more like a Venus fly trap, same with the one coming out of his chest.

Schlummpy

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Schlumppy/200473143233_Sumea6Sch…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 01/08/04 - 6:07 AM Permalink

woweeee thats a damn good model you got there, super smooth, but i guess youll need to tone that down a bit once youve added the rest of the detail

Submitted by conundrum on Sun, 01/08/04 - 10:16 PM Permalink

looking superb, definately one of the forerunners right now. the only thing i notice is that his legs/pants don't seem to be quite up to the standard of the rest of the model (they seem quite shapeless and blocky, although im sure its only because you havnt worked on them as much as the rest, just though id point it out. keep it up though, its coming along really well

Posted by Schlumppy on

[IMG] http://daniel-schlumpp.customer.netspace.net.au/Centerror600x450%232.jpg [/IMG]
[IMG] http://daniel-schlumpp.customer.netspace.net.au/Centerror600x450.jpg [/IMG]

Here is my submission for this challenge. This is a little some that I drew last month that might be suitable for this challenge. I still want add some more details to it. The character is bit like a centaur but is made up from a human torso attached to some kind of demon dog.

Schlumpy

Submitted by conundrum on Sun, 18/07/04 - 10:01 AM Permalink

looks great so far, although i think you could make the mans torso attach directly to the pillar as it looks a little strange with it clutching its sides, looking forward to the modelling.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 18/07/04 - 7:45 PM Permalink

Great concept, great name as well, Can't waiit to see it modelled.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 18/07/04 - 10:14 PM Permalink

Very Doom-esque, I like this concept - Well done Schlumppy.

Submitted by conundrum on Mon, 19/07/04 - 5:42 AM Permalink

looks superb so far, i especially like the face, no critiques right now, keep it up

Submitted by Sinister on Mon, 19/07/04 - 10:13 PM Permalink

Great concept, befittng name and excellent start to the model. I'll be watching with interest.

Submitted by RasTuS on Tue, 20/07/04 - 6:00 AM Permalink

post some better wires and i think with tmmount of poly's in there u could define the muscles a bit more and work on the feet i want to see if u can make em look as good as the 2nd concept

i like it better than the firse more definition in the monster

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 20/07/04 - 7:05 AM Permalink

Hey Dan. I agree with Rastus about making it more muscley. Like your concept. His legs also look a little bow-legged. Looks like you could just run up, kick him on the inside of his leg and watch him fall flat to the ground :) And make it look more evil or fierce. It looks to cute :D

Submitted by Schlumppy on Tue, 20/07/04 - 8:22 AM Permalink

Rastus and Aven: Beside the rough base mesh I haven?t put much definition in to his arms yet, planing on doing so soon. I must agree he does look a bit bow legged, have to fix that. Aven, yeah he doesn?t look as evil as I wanted him to, maybe when he is textured that will help.

I have just read Malus comment in the Sticky thread about some concepts not really being survival/horror. I think that I?m one of them, my guy is more DOOM 3 than Resident Evil or Silent Hill. So I have started a new concept. I will however finish Centerror. Here is my new concept. He is a gardener that has been taken over by his favourite plant.

Schlumppy

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Schlumppy/200471981419_Sumea6Sch…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 20/07/04 - 9:31 AM Permalink

looks cool, i suppose its fits the theme more, the doom feel was certainly with your last model.

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 20/07/04 - 7:15 PM Permalink

Ahh, now that?s a good submission for this challenge ? right on topic! It?s a clever idea. I?d like to see how you plan on doing his face. Will the plant life be evident? Or will he be more like a plant infected zombie type guy?

Cool idea [:)]

It?s good that you plan on finishing that other monster also. He was coming along nicely.

Submitted by xyz on Tue, 20/07/04 - 10:44 PM Permalink

It reminds me of a character in a game which looked like a friendly. It asked for help, then turned nasty. A good idea but it only works once? I think it was a child.

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 21/07/04 - 2:15 AM Permalink

your first concept is cool, but i agree, the second one is much more in with the theme.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 25/07/04 - 5:41 AM Permalink

I really like it Schlumpy - the plant aspect is really quite different from the norm of undead / zombie types that we see in resi evil / silent hill.

Submitted by LiveWire on Sun, 25/07/04 - 5:54 AM Permalink

i like it, perhaps make his veins poping up or somethig in places and make them green like that plant is spreading further. looks awsome

Submitted by Jackablade on Sun, 25/07/04 - 10:16 AM Permalink

I think I liked the one with the flytrap in his back better. Good design though, far better than the first one methinks.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 26/07/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

great work, should keep the (errm whadda ya call em...) hedge trimmer things though

Submitted by Schlumppy on Mon, 26/07/04 - 10:29 AM Permalink

Here is another concept that I did last night. This picture is for a front reference to model from. I think I have set myself a challenge with the vines, I can see them taking up a lot of polyies and should be interesting to model. I have started the model, it is fairly low in polyies at the moment. He doesn?t look too scary at the moment have to work on that.

Schlumppy

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Schlumppy/2004725102638_Sumea6Sc…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Schlumppy/200472510270_Sumea6Sch…"[/img]

Submitted by Jackablade on Mon, 26/07/04 - 10:41 AM Permalink

Modelling an 8000 poly model in tris isn't going to be much fun. This'll go smoother if you work in quads.

Your new design is looking very swish. I''ll look forward to seeing your progress.

Submitted by Discmage on Mon, 26/07/04 - 10:23 PM Permalink

I really like the idea and the sketch is pretty cool.

My only crit would be to take away the mouth in a mouth on the torso...the long snake like one...I think it's a bit overkill in my personal opinion...but I could be wrong. If you look into actual plants like that (I forget their name) maybe there is enough detail in their mouth area to reduce it to the real version?? Like snagging spindles or poison barbs. That way the rest of him could pull in his prey and stab/tangle him until he can subdue them....

...or something :)

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 28/07/04 - 5:26 AM Permalink

quote:I never realised just how much 8000 polys is for making a model. I must say I?m a bit out of my depth, most of the models I make are no more that 3k.

And thats the reason I set it, I noticed everyone (myself included) had a nice little groove they liked to rest in. [:)]

Tis a challenge after all. [^]

Submitted by Schlumppy on Fri, 30/07/04 - 4:49 AM Permalink

I decided to concentrate on the face for the moment, I think I was getting a bit too far head of myself with the previous mesh, there wasn?t enough detail in it. I must thank my sister for suggesting that his tongue could be like the thing coming out of his chest. I think it looks good and makes him scarier. The poly count is abit high at 5.5k, but it shouldn't be too hard to reduce later. Next I?m going to add vines to one side of his face. Any comments?

Schlumppy

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Schlumppy/20047294447_Sumea6Schl…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/07/04 - 8:24 AM Permalink

lookin great, cant really fault that face

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 30/07/04 - 5:56 PM Permalink

I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the plant coming out from his mouth. Mainly as most creatures look very odd with really long tongues that they can't store in their mouth (Killer Tongue for reference). It may also be a bit too much if you still decide to keep the one in his chest.

Submitted by Schlumppy on Sun, 01/08/04 - 4:35 AM Permalink

After seeing Delmo?s model my first thought was ?Game over Man, Game over!? Then my next thought was I can?t wait to see everyone else?s, for Delmo has defiantly raised the bar. Now we are all going to have to work a lot harder. But in the end we are all going to have some really good models that are sure to impress people. So here is an update of my work. I have reached the 8k mark. Now he has legs and a vine arm. Going to start his stumpy leg next

Aven: I?m going to leave the tongue the way it is for the moment, for I can always remove it later. I might though change the head/mouth of the planet so that it looks more like a Venus fly trap, same with the one coming out of his chest.

Schlummpy

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Schlumppy/200473143233_Sumea6Sch…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 01/08/04 - 6:07 AM Permalink

woweeee thats a damn good model you got there, super smooth, but i guess youll need to tone that down a bit once youve added the rest of the detail

Submitted by conundrum on Sun, 01/08/04 - 10:16 PM Permalink

looking superb, definately one of the forerunners right now. the only thing i notice is that his legs/pants don't seem to be quite up to the standard of the rest of the model (they seem quite shapeless and blocky, although im sure its only because you havnt worked on them as much as the rest, just though id point it out. keep it up though, its coming along really well